Planet Bean Coffee Stout | Spring House Brewing Company

Spring House Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
springhousebeer.com

Style: American Stout

Planet Bean Coffee Stout is smooth, dark, full-bodied, and satisfyingly rich. Coffee beans expertly roasted at Cumberland County Coffee Company give this stout its powerful aroma and pronounced fresh-brewed coffee flavor. Your only problem with this tempting brew will be resisting the urge to pour it in your coffee mug before work!

Added by Deuane on 02-28-2009

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

3.94/5  rDev -1.7%

Shared by ejyoung, poured into snifter.

Dark, opaque mahogany, becoming thinner at the edges and giving up some amber highlights. A thin swarm of bubbles swirls and pops away within seconds.

The aroma’s vibrant with coffee — this stuff smells like a coffee shop. Freshly crushed medium roast beans, tangy dark chocolate, a touch of sourdough. It would be better if it wasn’t so tangy, actually.

The flavor’s just like the nose, but smoother. Medium roast coffee, cocoa nibs and the touch of sourdough are there again, but upon the swallow, toasted bread rolls in and blends with the sharp coffee, smoothing it out. Hops lend a soft, earthy bitterness.

Silky body, a touch above medium light, with gentle, tingly carbonation. Just a touch of alcohol numbs the tongue, but it’s well hidden for the most part. Very smooth, mostly sweet finish.

Planet Bean’s very coffee-forward — perhaps too much. A bit more backing flavor would be advised, but I’m not complaining too much.

3.92/5  rDev -2.2%

Big thanks to SamuelJackson45 for sending this bottle my way!

A - pours a nice black color without much of a head

S - It smells like the grounds that were just left over in my French Press from this morning's coffee. Nice coffee aroma without much else in he mix.

T - Taste is similar to the nose. Nice earthy roasted coffee flavors are all over the palate. There is hardly room for anything else as the coffee dominates this one, however I get a nice bitterness from a baker's chocolate flavor with a bit of coffee grinds. Solid coffee profile!

M - a little thin, but goes down smoothly. Leaves dry from the burnt malts.

D - I have this with eggs and pancakes. At times this tasted exactly like coffee, which was awesome. Once I was done eating some of the bitter chocolate and coffee came out which took a bit away from the flavor experience. Really solid coffee stout, one of the better coffee stouts I have had the pleasure of trying.

4.14/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

After having sampled a bottle of Planet Bean that was easily 6+ months old, I had a "fresh" pour of it on draft at the Spring House Taproom. In comparison to my review from the bottle, some minor things are different, noted below:

S: Fresh coffee beans, slightly roasted and not overly charred or so black tasting. It's a nice balanced coffee flavor this time, a bit more mild and inviting. I also got a bit of chocolate that I didn't get from the bottle. Certainly an improvement from an aged bottle, the coffee is definitely meant to have this certain fresh, brightness to it I'm gathering.

T: So much better, the coffee bean flavor has a slight bitterness to it but it's again very mild. The roasting is just right, not stale, overly roasted or off. It's quite rich and I get some nice caramel and chocolate malts this time too, giving this a good depth of flavor.

Everything else was essentially the same as the bottled version. It's not my favorite coffee-forward beer however, as with other coffee beers, this is most certainly better consumed fresh.

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Cam. Thanks for sharing the growler of this beer.
This review is from notes from earlier tonight, August eighth, two thousand eleven, common era.

A - dark black body, red light through the edges, a minimal tan head.

S - a great coffee aroma, nice roast. Kind of one-dimensional, but it's a great coffee smell

T - sweet cherry, dark and bitter coffee, fairly dry.

M - smooth, medium-thin body, somewhat drying.

O - this is a good coffee stout. A couple of improvements, and it's excellent (less awkward sweet flavor, thicker body, etc)

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks Max for this treat!
Never heard of the brewery but the beer sounds great!

Pours a dark dark brown almost opaque. A nice touch of tan head. Smells heavily of coffee and roasty goodness. Thin but i suppose typical of an american stout. Smooth and rich. Lots of great coffee flavours. The aroma is phenomenal the taste and mouthfeel leave a bit to be desired but this beer is white enjoyable!

3.65/5  rDev -9%

From 07/29/11 notes. Received in the Gang Bang BIF courtesy of the Chicago group; thanks guys! Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a SAVOR snifter. Very excited for this one, it's been on my Wants list since I joined BA.

a - Pour a dark brown color with a reddish tint and one finger of dark tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Looks pretty good.

s - Smells of coffee, roasted malts, light cream, light bready malts. As expected a ton of coffe up front, and pretty good.

t - Tastes of coffee grinds, roasted malts, vanilla, light bread and cream. Not the biggest fans of the coffe grinds, and seems a bit watered down. A step down from the nose.

m - Light to medium body and bit overcarbonated. Body is a tiny bit watery.

o - Overall a good beer, but I was a bit disappointed. The body was a bit thin and I wasn't the biggest fan of the coffe grind taste. Would give another shot but wouldn't seek it out again.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

First had: on tap at Pinocchio's, Media, PA

"Planet Bean" is right...damn. Coffee, coffee, coffee. This is definitely among the coffee-est beers I've ever had...surpassed perhaps only by Triumph Brewing's "Grover's Mill Coffee & Cream Stout," I'd say. Poured a deep mocha brown with a small tan head. The smell: coffee. Roasted coffee dominates all, with some dark malts apparent. The taste...makes me wish I actually liked coffee. But yeah, more coffee, very roasty, and some dark roasted malts trying to peek through. As a stout, it was a little thin-bodied, but still very good and not lacking in flavor. Did I mention coffee? Coffee.

3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Generously opened by Casey at a recent shindig. Pours dark brown / black with a small tan head. Smells nothing like any coffee stout I have had before in that it smells exactly like iced coffee...and it tastes exactly like iced coffee. A really weird beer to grade in that sense. Rating it at face value, the coffee flavor is strong, but doesn't meld with any malt presence, instead masking most of the qualities that make beer beer. The mouthfeel isn't really creamy and is maybe medium or a bit thin. Goes down easy. Overall - iced coffee. If you like it, you will like this beer.

4.07/5  rDev +1.5%

Another coffee stout. Pretty good overall but too thin in the mouth. Beer is brown to black. Tan head, some lacing, mild retention, low carbonation.

Aroma is all coffee all the time. It smells like an iced coffee drink. That is all.

Beer is mildly sweet and thin with a strong coffee bitterness at the end. The malt is completely masked by the coffee. This is a decent stout but not the best I'd had.

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt!

The beer is nearly black, with a thick, tan head that leaves copious lacing all over the glass. The aroma is dominated with coffee, as if I were in a coffee shop. The beer is really one dimensional, but isn't that the intent here? Just a huge coffee presence throughout the aroma and taste. The body is a bit thin, with a healthy bitterness present in the finish. This beer is designed for coffee lovers. I'd definitely have this again.

4.39/5  rDev +9.5%

A firkin on vanilla beans poured at Al's

A - Pitch black body with a small, bubbly head...it was light brown in color and showed not much retention except for the thinnest ring...some light lacing

S - I know it was 11:00 when I had this but it smells like it's 6:30 am...nothing but fresh ground coffee in the aroma...some light sweeter notes of caramel and vanilla

T - The flavors were actually a little light right up front but once the beer hits the middle of the palate...WHAM!...there's a big blast of coffee...strong, fresh brewed coffee...the vanilla adds some sweetness but it's not as overpowering as I was expecting...lingering caramel and chocolate as well...the finish has the expected coffee bean bitterness

M - Medium bodied...it must have been towards the end because it wasn't as full as it should have been...actually a bit thin at times...lingering coffee bitterness

O - Not only did I finally get to try this, I got to try it from a firkin...and it was firkin good...now that I know where the new Spring House is I might have to make it down there when this is on...a delicious coffee stout

3.74/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml corked & caged bottle courtesy of Soonami. Label is black with orange-colored cartoon of a coffee pot holding hands with an angry mug of beer.

Out pours a cola body with sepia edges beneath a scant patch of light tan foam. The head disappears quickly to a ring of small bubbles. Aroma packs in big notes of freshly-brewed dark coffee. Nutty caramel notes and an earthy hop presence are in the mix as well. Surprisingly, this beer did not overwhelm me with coffee, but despite the excellent balance the nose is still dominated by the bean.

Iced coffee and a mild roastiness hits the tongue with dark berry undertones. Baker's chocolate and a porter-like dryness finish off each sip. The body of Planet Bean is reminiscent of a porter, too--thin and light in its carbonation. Overall, I was expecting a bit more from this highly-touted coffee stout. The coffee is strong (and fairly tasty) but the supporting cast is on strike.

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

This is a personal first...my 4th time reviewing the same beer. On tap, via growler, bottle and now on the hand pump at Al's of Hampden on 4/25/11. What am I missing? Ah yes, the illusive nitro pour. This particular "one-off" included vanilla beans in the cask. I don't know why...I just can't say no to having this beer when I see it is available.

Served in a nonic, this brew appears a very dark brown, nearing blackness but it maintains lighter brown coloration and clarity around the edges of the glass. A finger of dark tan head appears and slowly fades to a thin layering atop the brew. As it recedes it leaves a webbing pattern of lace on the glass and across the top of the brew.

The smell of this brew is a dominating amount of fresh brewed coffee, very bold and hardly leaving any room for the nose to pick up on any other characteristics. Roasted grains? Maybe that's there but serious, this smells like straight coffee. As it warms, an underlying sweetness emerges smelling of sweet chocolate. Perhaps a bit of vanilla, but I'm really stretching and desperately searching to smell something other than coffee.

The taste of this brew is very roasted in flavor from a combination of the level of char to the grain and the flavoring of fresh coffee. It imparts a bitterness stuck somewhere in-between your typical bitterness of roaste malt and strong unsweetened coffee. A faint sweetness is evident underneath the bitterness that tastes mildly like vanilla which opens up a citrus element that balances out the brew but again is a type of citrus taste that doesn't seem to come fully from hops, perhaps this is a type of citrus note from the coffee as well. The aftertaste is lightly musty mixed with semisweet chocolate.

This is a very warming brew, I cant tell if I'm warm from the nice weather outside, the alcohol or the caffeine but dammit this brew warmed me up. It is medium to full bodied and lightly carbonated. Very easy drinking. This hand pulled version of Planet Bean was the best I have experienced to date. In previous experiences I faulted this brew for being a little too light and watery, perhaps the vanilla bean or cask delivery was what this brew needed to mix things up a bit for me. I look forward to completing the circle of experiences and having this on nitro, I am anxious.

4.05/5  rDev +1%

Served on cask hand-pull at Al's of Hampden into a nonic pint.

A - Pours pitch black with a creamy one finger tall tan head leaving light rings of lacing down the glass.

S - Smells of rich dark roasted coffee, dark roasted malt, and a light vanilla sweetness. The addition of the extra coffee was not really needed as the normal Planet Bean is quite strong on the coffee, but it really worked. The vanilla became a bit lost in all the roast but it came thru as it warmed up a bit.

T - Ummm ok did someone pour some water in my beer? This thing is SUPER thin. The flavors are all there; coffee, vanilla, ect.; but the feel is really bringing this one down. The finish is a mix of light sweetness and lots of dark roast. I really want to give this one a better score but I just can't. If they can fix the feel this will be amazing.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderately light carbonation. VERY thin feel with plenty of lingering dark roast in the finish.

O - I really enjoyed this one, minus the watery feel. I am a huge fan of the normal Planet Bean and this one is no different. The addition of the vanilla and extra coffee worked very well. If it wasn't for the feel this one would be scoring MUCH higher.

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

A: An awesome pour from the growler. The next closest thing to this is a nitro style pour. The head is around 3 fingers of tanish brown, frothy, rocky head. It recedes fairly quick, but leaves a nice frothy covered top and lots of frothy lace. Pitch black color all the way.

S: It smells totally of fresh ground coffee. Some chocolate notes deep down in there, but mostly I'm just thinking about a ton of ground coffee.

T: The taste is super roasty malts and fresh ground coffee. This is the closest to coffee that I've ever had a beer taste and yet it still keeps a good stout beer taste, which is maintained by the grassy hop finish. As the beer warms, the grass hop notes are detected all throughout. Also a dark, high percentage cocao chocolate taste is giving this a taste of chocolate covered coffee beans.

O: The beer yielded a super smooth effect like anise does, almost like a numbing smoothness. Really dark chocolate has that same effect for me and this beer does it also. Overall, I'm wondering how much coffee this really is. It's quite drinkable overall and treats all my senses, but I don't drink coffee because of the caffeine and I rarely drink any caffeinated beverages and this beer has upset my stomach, which leads me to believe there is quite a bit of coffee in this one. It could be because I ate nuts earlier today while disc golfing and now it is rather late at night, but regardless, for those that don't drink caffiene, you will have to be careful with this one. This kept me awake for quite some time. I drank before dinner one other time and it was ok, but then again I only had one pint and during this session, I had two pints and like I said later in the evening. I averaged the ratings from the 2 different sessions.

4.17/5  rDev +4%

A firkin of Planet Bean with vanilla beans at Al's of Hampden. Jwiss and Stormking were lurking, harassing the pups...

A: The stout is appropriately black, a darkness that is at once comforting and forboding. A thin, cask-y head can along and was quickly gone.

S: The nose is the richest, smoothest coffee around, an aromatic wonderland punctuated by sweet vanilla beans. A nice ale to sniff.

T: The vanilla is stronger than I was expecting, able to deftly overpower most of the rich coffee base. That coffee, normally a bright intense dose, is more restrained, having been soothed out in the firkin. Still good, the coffee lacks something that the vanilla is glad to fill in for. The underlying stout is still mild, a nice take on the regular stout style.

M: The vanilla stands out, perhaps more than it should. Good news is that it doesn't turn the ale into a sugary wasteland. There is still plenty of Planet Bean goodness to supplement the vanilla beans.

I came to Al's for the IPA Good Friday and instead started off with an American stout. Yes, it's that good.

Planet Bean Coffee Stout from Spring House Brewing Company