Planet Bean Coffee Stout | Spring House Brewing Company

Planet Bean Coffee StoutPlanet Bean Coffee Stout

Spring House Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American Stout

Planet Bean Coffee Stout is smooth, dark, full-bodied, and satisfyingly rich. Coffee beans expertly roasted at Cumberland County Coffee Company give this stout its powerful aroma and pronounced fresh-brewed coffee flavor. Your only problem with this tempting brew will be resisting the urge to pour it in your coffee mug before work!

Added by Deuane on 02-28-2009

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 109 | Ratings: 250
4.19/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served 38F from the 22 ounce bomber into a 14 ounce tulip.

Dark brown light black.

Nose is cat piss acidic brewed coffee. Sweet, malty and roasty.

Taste is very similar to Kerplunk, but not quite as good. This is much more acidic. Coffee is the most dominant flavor in the profile, followed by dark malts. This has a very acidic taste to it. Which is somewhat expected for a coffee stout. There is a hollow and acidic aftertaste. I think they slightly overdid it with the coffee on this one, but the base stout is still really good. Similar to Kerplunk and Big Gruesome.

Mouthfeel is really nice, aside from the acidic aftertaste. Thick, smooth, with beautiful head retention.

No bottle dates on any of these Spring House Bombers. No idea when they produced or bottled. Spring House stouts do tend to taste better with age (4-8 months), so it's not a huge deal, but there is so little information on the labels with regards to ABV%, product description and bottle dates. I really wish the marketing people here would be somewhat more descriptive.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

pours an opaque black color with large dark tan head that recedes at a moderate rate with good lacing. super strong coffee smell that's about the only thing one could possibly notice. taste is much the same. super smooth breakfasty stout like. absolutely fantastic brew!!! medium to full bodied with a creamy texture. long flavor duration, with so much coffee flavor it's almost unreal. this brew is a must try!

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

A: An awesome pour from the growler. The next closest thing to this is a nitro style pour. The head is around 3 fingers of tanish brown, frothy, rocky head. It recedes fairly quick, but leaves a nice frothy covered top and lots of frothy lace. Pitch black color all the way.

S: It smells totally of fresh ground coffee. Some chocolate notes deep down in there, but mostly I'm just thinking about a ton of ground coffee.

T: The taste is super roasty malts and fresh ground coffee. This is the closest to coffee that I've ever had a beer taste and yet it still keeps a good stout beer taste, which is maintained by the grassy hop finish. As the beer warms, the grass hop notes are detected all throughout. Also a dark, high percentage cocao chocolate taste is giving this a taste of chocolate covered coffee beans.

O: The beer yielded a super smooth effect like anise does, almost like a numbing smoothness. Really dark chocolate has that same effect for me and this beer does it also. Overall, I'm wondering how much coffee this really is. It's quite drinkable overall and treats all my senses, but I don't drink coffee because of the caffeine and I rarely drink any caffeinated beverages and this beer has upset my stomach, which leads me to believe there is quite a bit of coffee in this one. It could be because I ate nuts earlier today while disc golfing and now it is rather late at night, but regardless, for those that don't drink caffiene, you will have to be careful with this one. This kept me awake for quite some time. I drank before dinner one other time and it was ok, but then again I only had one pint and during this session, I had two pints and like I said later in the evening. I averaged the ratings from the 2 different sessions.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Made the trip out to Spring House last night for the release of Planet Bean. Picked up a couple of growlers and a couple of bottles from sympathetic people who purchased the bottle run before I got out there. Thanks to akorsak for throwing a couple of bottles my way which will in turn be shared with those on here.

Dove into the growler with apple pie dessert tonight to cap off Thanksgiving dinner.

A - Pours dark with a nice mocha head that leaves a small amount of lacing after settling.

S - It's all about the coffee here. A beautiful dark roasted smell that is beautiful on the nose. Dark roasted malts and a small amount of chocolate in the background but it really is all about the coffee.

T - Follows the nose and I must say that on careful consideration, I would have to say that this very well might be the best coffee infused beer made. I say that because it has a robust flavor but stops just short of going over the top. Whereas Peche and Founders might push the envelope a bit too far and leave a slight ashtray taste, the Bean stops short of being bitter. Again, a really robust coffee flavor with a dark roasted malt and slight chocolate profile sitting in the background.

M - Very pleasing. Not so thick to be chewy but not thin enough to disappoint. Really nice.

D - I finished off the growler with my wife and a friend who stopped by. We had numerous glasses served in a small snifter and we were all disappointed to see it come to an end. It is that good.

Congrats to Matt for a really outstanding beer. I wish I had more of this, I might have to make a return trip for more even though it is a good hike. It is THAT good. Get this one, I think you will find it outstanding. Bravo!!!

2.49/5  rDev -38.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle to a 14oz snifter.

Appearance: Removing the cap from the bottle produces a loud pop! The contents quickly attempts to erupt from the bottle. Luckily just covering the top keeps the contents at bay. A slow pour is required to keep the foamy head in check. Pours dark black with a puffy fluffy mahogany head.

Smell: Very little coffee, odd tart cherry aromas overwhelm everything else.

Taste: The flavors follow the nose. A little bit of coffee and roasted malt are quickly over powered by tart cherry and a slightly metallic taste. Finishes very acidic.

Mouthfeel: Over carbonated and thin.

Overall: This bottle is clearly infected. I've been wanting to try this for quite a while, but this was a real let down. I hope I get the chance to revisit this with a better batch.

4.54/5  rDev +11.8%

Growler provided by a great BA, Akorsak. Served in a Pint Glass at an annual Christmas Party.

A: Looks like black coffee in my glass, a portent perhaps? Half a finger of Mocha head that vanishes fairly fast. Not much lacing going on.

S: Mega blast of intense roasted, bitter black coffee. Insanely potent to the point that you question, is it really beer in my glass???

T: First sip is as quoted from my friend "A punch in the face from Juan Valdez." That is pretty spot on, but I'd also add an intense burning from the bitterness on the finish. After a few more sips it starts to become very enjoyable. This beer is really all about the coffee. Next to the big roastiness, espresso and chocolate flavors are the most noticeable. Easily the most coffee forward beer I've ever had. Could be a little more balanced with more chocolate flavors, but that'd most likely detract from what makes this brew so unique.

M: Medium bodied. Carbonation was very spot on, but I would have liked the beer to be a bit thicker.

D: Seeing how I took down about half a growler of this in an evening, I'd say it's pretty drinkable. The 7% ABV is hardly noticeable, and the biggest drawback is the harsh bitterness from the coffee.

Before trying Planet Bean, I'd heard how crazy the coffee was in this stout. Turns out the hype lived up in this case as this is the most coffee intense beer I've ever had. This is a delight for coffee stout fans (and probably most coffee drinkers I'd assume).

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

A growler courtesy of akorsak-huge thanks Adam-this beer was only marginally on my radar. I'm grateful for the chance to drink this coffee stout.

Poured into my Duvel tulip. Pitch black with a cappuccino colored head-that is to say there's some swirls of tan with darker tan all mingling together. Just outstanding. Leaves some decent lacework. Aroma is like stepping into a coffee shop. Huge coffee, it's like there is hints of sweet bakery that wafts in, only to be lost amongst the roasty java. It's like my nose is playing tricks on me- I swear I smell a Pepperidge Farm Piroutte for a moment.

Flavor just smacks of a dark roast cold pressed coffee. The coffee blends with the roast malt creating the impression of drinking dark chocolate covered espresso beans. Just the right hint of lactic sweetness prevents the coffee from becoming to acrid-although the roast is just perfect, so maybe they got it right. On par with the Emmy J's used by Central Waters and noticeably better than the coffee used by Bell's for their Java stout which is too acrid, almost ashy. Oh yeah, the finish is smooth java. Mouthfeel is definitely on the thin end of medium-which many may see as a touch of a weakness. Not me, just like Central Water's Brewhouse Coffee Stout-so smooth, velvety, but doesn't stick to the mouth. It just begs to be sipped, gulped, and with ample carbonation it is near perfect in my book.

Drinkable? Try perfect. I love coffee and I love a good coffee stout. This beer tops Founders Breakfast Stout, Bell's Java Stout, Peche Mortel with ease. It's even a slight notch better than my other favorite, Central Water's Brewhouse Coffee Stout. This is a coffee stout nonpareil.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

had a sample or two off the tap and then growler

appearance was dark and had a nice mocha brown head

smell was like a dark coffee with no cream and no sugar.. almost like an espresso smell. it was amazing

taste was obvious COFFEE. what a nice and delightful taste of coffee but with the hint of a beer.

mouthfeel was smooth and could not tell it had a 7% abv.

drinkability would be great with friends to share with and also early in the morning.

4.02/5  rDev -1%

This is by far the best tasting coffee stout that I have ever tasted. Many have tried to create this combination, but very few have succeded. Without the coffee, this alone would be a great tasting stout, but the coffee combination makes it even better. It's very smooth and refreshing. This is something that you could easily drink for breakfast!

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last