Braaaiins! (Pumpkin Ale For Zombies) | Spring House Brewing Company

Braaaiins! (Pumpkin Ale For Zombies)Braaaiins! (Pumpkin Ale For Zombies)

Spring House Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
springhousebeer.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Our pumpkin ale is brewed with generous amounts of real pumpkin blended into the mash. The subtle fresh pumpkin flavor is enhanced by the addition of a touch of traditional autumn spices and sweet dough, thus creating a beer with an orange amber color, warm pumpkin aroma, a bold malt center and a crisp finish. We are proud to offer you a balanced and delectable fall treat. Suitable for zombies.

Added by guzzle211 on 10-02-2010

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

I had this on-tap at the taproom in Lancaster. Poured into a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear red amber with a layer of off white head, fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Reminds me of pumpkin cheese cake. Creamy, bready, cinnamon and pumpkin.

Taste: There is some pumpkin and pie spice up from. Huge taste of graham cracker crust. Sweet spice in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: A very different pumpkin ale. The graham cracker notes were a welcome addition. Creamy smell was a bit weird. I think I enjoyed this one. Love the name!

2.9/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

64 oz growler into a pint glass. Huge thanks to Stakem for picking me a growler of this up on a recent trip to the brewery.

Pours a crystal clear copper, with a finger of off-white foamy head that even looks like it might be a light mocha color depending on the angle. This retains with a creamy layer of fizz that has a good flare-up to it and leaves some patchy swathes of suds down the sides of the glass. The aroma isn't too bad, with a mix of sticky malt and some pumpkin flavor. A festive smelling layer of spice glides along underneath, as does some light feeling green herbal tones. This isn't super robust or anything but manages to keep itself together.

The taste is where things get pretty dicey. This is mostly sweet up front with notes of bready grains (and maybe even a little bit of sweet toffee as well) with a flush of spices coming out across the back. Unfortunately there is a mix of earthy bitterness and raw vegetable feel to the pumpkin meat here that gives the finish on this a dirty and gritty presence in the finish that is honestly pretty darn off-putting (especially as this warms). There is also a mineral taste here, which I think mixes with that aforementioned harsh finish to also add an almost medicinal feel as well. The mouthfeel medium bodied, with a smooth crispness that prickles the tongue which would be fine except that it also unfortunately really helps bring out some of that unpleasant character as well. I'll try not to hold that against the actual feel though.

Quite the puzzling little Pumpkin Ale here, as I know what I experienced with the first couple glasses of this even though most of the other reviews that I have seen so far haven't mentioned it (or at least to the degree that I tasted). To the beer's credit though, I will say that I went back to the growler the next night to reinvestigate things and even though that same medicinal raw veggie and earth finish was still there, it did seemed lessened this time around and not nearly as abrasive. So I don't know. Maybe this isn't as horrible as I had originally thought but I do think that this one definitely needs some tweaking.

4.24/5  rDev +10.7%

First had: on tap at Pinocchio's, Media, PA

Served in a tulip, clear, orange-brown color, with a half inch or so of foamy white head; decent retention and lacing. Aroma really can't be beat: sweet and sugary, vanilla, cheesecake complete with graham crust. Taste isn't quite as impressive, but it's still damn good. You get the vanilla and pumpkin cheesecake, graham crust and all, cinnamon and allspice, backed up with caramel malts and a woody, bitter, vegetal element that came in near the end, a blend of pumpkin flesh and earthy hops, I'd say. Overall, I'd say this was quite comparable to Southern Tier Pumking, especially in the way it finished more fleshy and bitter, but I definitely liked the aroma on this one better. Medium body, pretty smooth, pleasant and easily downable.

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

3.67/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had this bottle at the cove, enjoyed chilled in a pint glass

The color is deep amber with mild haze with thick pale tan cap with rocky appearance. The smell is a bit spiced and some floral/fruity esters accompany the spice and malt smell. The feel is strong but pretty well balanced and not overly spiced for the style.

The taste is good, pretty spicy with dry effect of cinnamon, not very sweet flavor wise and there is a subtle chalkiness I don't understand that sort of detracts from the toasted malt flavor. Overall this is a decent pumpkin, perhaps I should try the draft version to compare but I would say it is worth a try if you enjoy pumpkin beers.

4.29/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Braaaiins! (Pumpkin Ale for Zombies) has been around for a while, but until now, it has only been available on draft or in bomber bottles. The Spring House peeps have finally gotten their Braaaiins! out of their a**es & into CANs, where it belongs! The CANQuest (tm) is ever-vigilant and eternally grateful.

I Crack!ed that Zombie open so hard that its Braaaiins! began spilling out in an inverted Glug! The foam that formed was two fingers high and about as dense & tawny as anything that I have ever seen. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Hail, I could see right through that sumbeeach where somebody got to him before me and blew a hole the size of a pumpkin out of his midsection! Old boy smelled good, though, like he'd been hiding in the barn where I dry spices for the missus' potpourri. Cinnamon, vanilla, clove, ginger. Made me wanna run back in the house & grab some garlic & see how he reacts, but just ain't no time. I drank some of his blood in the hopes that it'll give me some kinda immunity to whatever made him that way in the first place. Mouthfeel was medium to full, not quite creamy. The taste was really spicy, loaded with cinnamon & ginger & underlain with vanilla to give it the flavor that Atwater was shooting for and missed. Finish was semi-dry, not as dry as I might have expected, given all of the spices, but the vanilla helped to offset them. I seem to be finished also as I arrrghh ... Snarl!

4.25/5  rDev +11%

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

Served on-tap at the Tasting Room. This is the version with pie crust added to it. Reviewed from notes.

A - Pours bright orange with a small white head leaving small trails of lace down the glass.

S - Smells of pumpkin pulp, cinnamon, graham cracker crust, and vanilla. With the addition of the crust this has become one of the better smelling pumpkin beers I have come across.

T - Starts off with a ton of vanilla and pumpkin pulp quickly giving way to a generous amount of "thanksgiving" spices, caramel malt and the every present graham crackers.

M - Medium body with plenty of flavor and moderate carbonation. Body is a slightly weird mix of pulp and crust, I am not sure why but it just seems to work.

O - This one is pretty good, and is only getting better each time they make it. I will definitely give it another try next year.

3.71/5  rDev -3.1%

Bomber into a matching Spring House pint glass. The brew appears a perfectly clear color of copper with a finger of yellowish tan froth sitting atop. As the cap slowly fades, it leaves a webbing of spotty lace sticking to the glass. A swirl revives a finger back to the surface.

The aroma of this brew is sweet and almost candied like belgian sugar but slightly caramelized. There is a note of fruited quality similar to what rye can do to a brew in excessive quality but not quite which is an interesting change of pace. Cinnamon is present coupled with a bit of earthiness like nutmeg.

The taste of this brew carries plenty of cinnamon and nutmeg spices. Initially the brew is sweet like the previously mentioned belgian candy sugar but maybe a bit more like toffee or caramel. More sips bring out a fruited quality before a bitterness of herbal hops breaks down the sweetness and clashes a bit with the spices.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. I recall having this brew 2 years ago and did not like it at all. I can say without hesitation that it seems the recipe has been tweaked quite a bit since then and it is significantly better now. However, the spiciness is almost too much at times as it reminds me of an autumn air freshener and the hopping rate is a bit much but that is what makes this brew stand out from the rest. Worth a try for sure if pumpkin beers are your thing.

3.82/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Been holding on to this one for a little bit. Figured I may as well get to it.

Nice looking, but minimal head. The flavor is nice. Not sure if several months have toned it down a bit. If so, I suggest this for all pumpkin ales. It's a nice firm accent, but an accent all the same. Nice level of spices; again, an accent. A bit of a floral thing that I could use less of. But overall, it's a nice one. Been quite some time since I've had a pumpkin beer. Which is mainly due to fear of all the crappy ones out there.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

A thanks to the commander of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a bronze/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is pumpkin, ginger, vanilla. Taste is vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin, some ginger, spices may be just a touch overwhelming. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

4.07/5  rDev +6.3%

2011 batch, on-tap at the Spring House Taproom in Lancaster. Poured into a 10 oz miniature nonic pint glass.

A: Rustic copper colored body with some lighter golden orange hues around the edge. A small white head disappeared rather quickly and left almost nothing expect a thin ring. No lace to speak of.

S: Huge spice notes, nutmeg and touch of cinnamon. A really doughy and crusty pumpkin pie crust comes through, along with hints of graham cracker. Perhaps a bit of pumpkin is on the end but certainly isn't the focus of this beer.

T: As with the nose, the graham cracker and pie crust is the center of attention, and it's really good. I'm not sure if I've ever had a Pumpkin Ale that focused on this aspect but it works really well. The spices are back to complement, this time with more cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg towards the back end.

M: A bit watery, though fairly bubbly and lively. It does make this extremely easy drinking in terms of body but I would have liked just a bit more character, still not bad at all.

This was one of the more interesting Pumpkin Ales I've sampled and certainly one worth trying. I can't speak for the past batches but this one is quite tasty. It's a completely different spectrum and focus for the style, something of which works really well.

Braaaiins! (Pumpkin Ale For Zombies) from Spring House Brewing Company