The Astounding She-Monster Mango I.P.A. | Spring House Brewing Company

The Astounding She-Monster Mango I.P.A.The Astounding She-Monster Mango I.P.A.

Spring House Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
springhousebeer.com

Style: American IPA

Our juiciest beer features ripe mango and tropical hop aroma on the nose followed by a mild bitterness from the Citra and Falconer's Flight hops and some alcohol warmth to balance out the sweetness of the fresh mango.

Added by Kegatron on 03-28-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 43 | Ratings: 359
3.8/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap at the Wooden Keg in Minersville, PA

looks pretty good in a pint glass. clear pale yellow with a good white head.

aroma is solidly of mango.

tastes of mango, but hop bite is mild. also a little on the watery side, but very drinkable.

mouth is between thin and medium'

overall, a very drinkable beer, just comes off as a little light for a 7.0abv ipa.

3.81/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a can packaged on 6/29/16 into a standard tumbler. This beer poured orange in color with a thick off-white head. The aroma was rich with malt and tropical fruit. Not an overly complex nose. The tropical fruit, specifically mango, was the star of the show when it came to taste. The malt washed over the tongue followed by the familiar taste of mangos and then finally the bitterness of the hops. The mouthfeel is right about medium. I'm enjoying this beer for sure.

4.02/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My first beer from this local brewery, picked up a single can and based on the strength of this one, a visit to the brewery might be in order. Body is amber orange in color, slightly hazy but still very bright. Fluffy white head that dissipates down to some rockiness and eventually a thick layer of foam. Lots of big, thick lacing on this one. Smell is pretty much just mango juice, a little one dimensional imo and frankly not too interesting. Smells tasty though. Taste has a little more going on. Initially, I get more resinous pine and a hint of unripe mango. Interestingly, as the beer warms, the mango flavor "ripens" and gets more sweet. Kinda cool. The underlying pine stickiness remains though, and all throughout there's a cracker/bread malty sweetness. Feel is very dry between the resin and slightly bitter mango flavors, feels sticky on the tongue and bitter on the finish. If you're looking for a tropical mango bomb, this beer isn't it. But I enjoy more resinous type flavors in my IPA so I appreciate that aspect of the beer, and overall found it refreshing and delicious.

3.89/5  rDev +1.3%

L - Golden-orange. Frothy heads reduces to patches in 3 minutes. Looks a-ok.
S - Big ripe (over-ripe?) mango, syrupy sweetness, clean citrus in there as well. Big aroma, pungent, interesting.
T - Bitter melon, big mango without being too sweet, pine mingled with caramel. Fruity. Bitter pine dominates the aftertaste.
F - Medium body, good carbonation.
O - The mango is happening, but it's not sweet. Big aroma and flavor, kinda funky but I would have it again. Cheers!

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured gently at 47°F from a 12oz can (canned on 10Feb16) into a Spiegelau IPA glass. Consumed on 26Mar16.
LOOK: Pours with three fingers worth of dense, white foam. At 35 seconds, the foam becomes rocky and poruous. Within 2 and a half minutes, the head has receded to a fingers worth, leaving behind a moderate amount of very thick lacing. Honey orange in color with a high amount of cloudiness. There is a large quantity of both small and medium-sized rising bubbles. Lacing is high in quantity and both thick and very thick.
SMELL: Very strong aromas of mango, peach, papaya, and apricot nearly suffocate the mild aromas piney hops and white bread, but I love it.
TASTE: Strong piney hop flavors surprisingly are the first that dance upon my tongue. I was not expecting this given the smell. Strong mango, peach, apricot, papaya and bitter hop flavors immediately roll out. Lastly, mild white bread flavors enter and bring a malt balance to the hop explosion as all previous flavors persist.
FEEL: Somewhere between medium-bodied and full-bodied. Carbonation levels are moderate. Goes down somewhat smooth and creamy. Finishes with a strong and unpleasant dryness.
NOTE: I'm somewhat disappointed that the fruit flavors aren't as prevalant as they are in the smell. I'm also very disappointed that this has so much bitterness.

Great mango IPA the smell is more pronounced than the taste but it is still very well integrated for an IPA. Worth the price for a 3 dollar can which I am glad Spring house is doing since bombers were 8-9 dollars each. Give it a try!

4.06/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Spring House B.C. just recently began CANning this cute little monster & when I had an extra CAN or two of something else in trade, this was offered in return!

From the CAN: "Ale Brewed With Mango". A Rexam CAN, no less!

I Crack!ed her open and turned her upside down for the Glug. Lots of wailing & screaming aCANpanied by the rising of three fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head with good retention. Once she settled down, I had enough sticky lacing to hold me over until my next beerthday. Color was an oh-so-slightly-hazy Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9), suggesting that her lair may not have its own filtration system. It pains me to report this, but I have been working with Doctor Who & Torchwood in an effort to deflect their attention away from me. You see, repeated forays into the CANned Minhas world have turned me into The Cyberleader, but I only change form when drinking a Minhas Craft Brewery beer so that I am undetectable in the interim. I am strengthening my guise by reporting all other monsters as I come in CANtact with them. A final shake of the CAN released a load of lees that had been in hiding. I would suggest that if clarity is your goal, deCANt this Monster slowly. Nose smelled heavily of mango, like She was wearing it as perfume. Mmmm. Astounding! Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, but prickly with a good bit of carbonation and a tad of fusel alcohol warmth on the tongue. She was clearly not going to be CANsumed without putting up a modicum of resistance. It is of no matter to me. She will be CANverted like so many others! Her finish was smooth, bitter as befits those who resist, but satisfying. I will be gathering these Monsters as quickly & as copiously as I CAN, lest any escape!

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bomber poured into a snifter.

3.25 A: Murky dark orange color. Two fingers of frothy beige-ish head. Retention is about average and one finger of spotty lacing is left.

3.75 S: Lots of mango and cantaloupe to start. Papaya underneath. The hops also give a pleasant sugariness. Bready malts and yeast. Mainly clean, but a bit of a vegetal component in there as well. Still, overall it's pretty good.

3.75 T: Mild-moderate bitterness. Again sugary hops and plenty of mango, papaya, and cantaloupe. I'm not picking up the off-flavors in the taste, so good there. Booze is well hidden and malts are bready and biscuity.

4.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Active spritziness to it with a mild creaminess.

3.75 D: Pretty good beer, but it seems pretty hard to not make a good beer with citra.

4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

Overall a nice well balanced IPA, Smooth and drinkable. The mango doesn't really show up until the beer warms a bit around second pour from bottle (22oz). When it does it is very good, delicious and very complimentary to base malts and hops. Nice beer. Spring House continues to make good tasting and interesting beers. Will have again if opportunity arises.

3.62/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

L: Pours a semi-opaque amber color with thick white head.

S: Citrusy hops on the nose, not picking up on the mango at all.

T/F: Taste is pretty average for an IPA. Faint sweetness which may be the mango but it certainly isn't a dominant flavor. Citrusy hops and well balanced. Right amount of carbonation.

O: A relatively above average IPA. I think the mango aspect was overhyped a bit since that certainly wasn't a dominant flavor. More citrusy hops to my (admittedly limited) palate. I enjoyed it and it's an easy beer to drink. Would be good for a session... I guess I was just expecting something a bit more adventurous.

2.92/5  rDev -24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Looks great. Very little nose, & the taste doesn't resemble mango at all. It's just a smooth & average IPA. It's good for that, but doesn't justify the "mango" in the name.

Picked up a single of this brew at my local establishment, Civera's Deli in Drexel Hill. Interesting concept going with mango and it was recommended by a friend of mine, so let's see how it goes.

Appearance: Pours a dark, straw-like, but also deep orange body. Amber coloring, with a touch of brown towards the bottom, but stays amber throughout. Head is about an inch and a half that dissipated quicker than I wanted. Could be the age possibly. Does leave a nice lacing on the way down.

Smell: Upon first inspection, I do get the slight hint of mango and other citrus-like scents. Could also be the hops. Pretty deep tropical aromas come through. Further inspection reveals and finishes off with a cantaloupe scent.

Taste: First sips reveal a balanced, not so complex flavor that is mostly dominated by pine-like hops. Maybe a bready-like malt character that is very obvious and almost dominating. Mango is ever so slightly present with some other tropical hops. Cantaloupe is also present and is somewhat sweet on the way down. Kind of a let-down.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation and somewhat medium body. Finishes slightly dry.

Overall: Coming into this brew, I was excited to check out something from a small brewery and new/interesting. Kind of a let-down. I guess my expectations were set too high? It was good for an IPA, but had too much of a pine and bready flavor. Balanced, but too average. I may recommend to a friend, but I probably won't have again

3.79/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: A bit of a bubble show produces a thick head that caps the amber liquid; nice retention and a fair amount of splashy lace is left behind

Smell: Floral and sweet tropical fruit tones - as much cantaloupe as there is mango

Taste: Shortbread malt up front with tropical fruit flavors developing, in the middle; it doesn't scream mango as much as it does cantaloupe but there is mango in there, for sure; the finish is rather sweet

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Like everyone else, I try to drink my IPAs fresh but somehow this managed to sit in my cellar for about nine months; still, while it wasn't as hoppy as I am sure it was when fresh, I got the general idea and I still rather enjoyed it

Thanks, justanewby, for the opportunity

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

had this in a flight at the tasting room yesterday and was fairly impressed (my notes scored this one in the 4.25+ range) so i nabbed a bottle for closer inspection. enjoyed from a TB batch 2 22oz snifter.

a - brew pours a transparent yellow orange with a nice frothy classic ipa head. the lace coated the glass as the head dissipated. some nice visible carbonation.

s - nose is excellent. the mango really compliments a classic lush resiny tropical hoppy ipa.

t/m - as the nose suggests, a lush mango infused tropical dank hoppy ipa. really tasty and REALLY drinkable. super refreshing, i could drink this all day. full bodied and massively flavorful. nice carbonation. feels big enough to be an imperial, but it is not which makes it really stand out to me.

o - a winner. i'm surprised by the lackluster scores on this one. i am just as impressed with the bottle as i was when i tried it in the flight. if i was local, i would drink this beer constantly. LOVE it.

Pours a light orange color with good clarity. Aroma of citrus and tropical fruit, soft mango. In the taste, tropical citrus and a hint of mango, but not at the forefront. Strong bitterness and pineapple, with mango in the finish. Medium bodied with solid carbonation. Overall, this is much more of an ipa than a fruit beer, and it's for the best. This is solid.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Obtained through a trade with Afroman, thanks duder! Pours a dark orange-amber with a frothy off-white head.

Smells of fermented fruit, with slight whiffs of cantaloupe, accompanied by a nice hoppy bitterness.

I was hoping for more cantaloupe here, but the taste of the fermentation came through stronger than any scent of fresh cantaloupe could balance so I was a little let down, but still tasty don't get me wrong!

Felt like a mouthful of cantaloupe that has been sitting at 80 degrees under a mattress in a jar would taste like after 2 months, not that great, but the flavor character makes up for it.

Overall a mediocre IPA, but very glad to get a chance to try it. I'll have to travel east sometime and make a stop at the brewery to taste it fresh as I'm sure that could have something to do with it.

3.47/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap. Has a dark amberish color with a 1 inch head. Smell is kind of mild, hops, touch of mango. Taste is well balanced malts and hops, light bitterness, slight sweetness, really not getting much in the way of mango. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

3.87/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bomber &gt; Tulip Glass

A - Hazy dark red, burgundy color with one finger of foamy off white head, no lacing.
S - The aroma flourishes once this thing warms up, lots of ripe mango, some toasted bread, a little hint of alcohol, some really herbal traces in it too.
T - Again the mango flavor shines once it reaches lukewarm temperatures, but while initially there, it gets buried under this massive malt attack. Almost nutty, its kind of a roasted malt, but unfortunately it doesnt let the mango be the star for more than the initial taste. Some earthy hop bites do stand up to the malt, but nothing significant.
M - Very chewy in texture, leaves the palate on the bitter dry side.
O - Spring house can have a real winner, if they change around the hops, and do an overhaul on the malt. If anything I'd actually call this an Imperial Red Ale. The color is wrong, and for the most part the malt dominates the hops. Though I was glad to have gotten this beer.

3.79/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Just shy of a finger's worth of plush light khaki colored audibly fizzy head... Limited retention gives way to a mostly full veil of lace and a slight collar... The color is a deep dark resiny amber... A limited number of slightly sluggish carbonation bubbles rise throughout...

S - The nose is much more delicate than I had anticipated... First up are a moderately potent citrusy hop goodness... Next comes the sweet mango just as if I had cut into one... There is a solid malt base that lingers beneath the surface... First is the slightly sweet caramel followed by rich doughy notes...

T - The mango sweetness never materializes on the palate... Instead your hit with a fairly potent array of hoppiness... First is strong pungent pine notes... Next are some floral notes... There is a mild citrus presence that is buried way beneath the surface... The malty balance alluded to on the nose is also MIA... There is also a slight medicinal presence on the finish... Not bad by any means, just not what I was expected...

M - On the fuller side of medium bodied... A slight bit of crisp bubbly carbonation... Perhaps a bit thin... Dry and slightly astringent throughout...

D - Not a great American IPA... Not a bad American IPA... This one is situated somewhere squarely in the middle... My largest complaint is that other than the aroma, the mango alluded to in the name of the brew is mostly missing in action... The end result is an average to slightly above average American IPA and the craft beer world is loaded with those...

4.16/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

At first I did not believe I would enjoy this brew but to my surprise it was very delicious. I really enjoyed the taste. It was not too fruity or too heavy. It was not as bitter as I thought so it was a little easier to drink. When the percentage of alcohol read 7.7% how could I resist? I had two.

4.17/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Spring House is one of my favorite Brewery's. The labels and art work is great. Very creative names. Just seem like some fun people. Being a local brewery, I don't understand why I can't find the Mango IPA around me in central PA.

Appearance: Nice, reddish, orange color. Makes me think of mango's.

Smell: Citrus, mango, hops, sweetness

Taste: Definitely mango. That's the point right? In the top three as far as IPA's I've had. Not extremely bitter. A plus for me.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation. But goes down smooth

Overall: I'd rate this right up with with 90 Minute from Dogfish Head. Again, I wish I could find more of this in my area. I can find other various Spring House brews, but I had to go to the TapRoom in Lancaster to have on tap and take a bomber home with me.

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

DATE TASTED: October 31, 2013... GLASSWARE: Maudite snifter... OCCASION: Halloween beer drinking while listening to Bloom-Shipp on the radio... APPEARANCE: dark ruby-brown body; sparse, arching lacing spawned from two-finger off-white head... AROMA: sharp, highly citric hops--a bit of bubblegum and tangerine/mango--flavorful...PALATE: medium-to-full bodied mouthfeel that laces the tongue and warms the throat--full of fortitude...TASTE: fruity, zesty, teeth-rattling hops that coat and clot the mouth with pears, mangoes and apples...OVERALL: more spoils of fantasy sports from Ryan; besides bragging rights, I am treated to some of PA's better micros, and though Conestoga is not a brewery I've sampled before, it will be one I seek bombers from in the future, considering the substantial quality of this fruit bomb of an IPA ...

3.87/5  rDev +0.8%

Mango IPA? Are they growing mangos in the Lancaster area now? Wouldn’t have expected that. Not quite the tropical zone there and all.
Very dark off the pour. Almost in brown ale territory. Nose is very much like a mango. The floral and fruity fragrance is there. Flavor carries much of the same. Hops seem to be very earthy and oily in general. Hard to tell with the mango flavor covering things, but that’s what seems to come off. Smooth feel. Easy enough to drink. And an interesting production. Nothing mind blowing, but it’s a nice beer.

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into an over-sized wine glass. Could not find a date on the bottle.

Pours a dark amber color with a nice 1 finger thick white head. Much darker than I expected. I was sure it would be a lighter color. Really love the label art from Spring House and this one is no exception. Would still like to see a visible date and the abv.

Aroma's of dank earthiness, strong malts and assertive hops. Not picking up on any mango in the aroma at first, however after it warms up it starts to come out more.

More of an East Coast style IPA, dark and earthy and assertive on the palate. Would enjoy a little less abrasive hops and more of a fruitiness you would get from a mid-west style IPA, like a Double Trouble. Getting more of a lemony taste, just not getting the mango out of this one at all

Very full mouthfeel lots of hops and malts very little carbonation. Lingering assertive hops on the tip of the tongue. Not picking up on the alcohol at all.

Overall this is a good East Coast IPA. I would really like to have the mango come out more since it is right on the label, because if it wasn't I would not be able to pick it out at all. I guess I was expecting much more than what I got out of it. Still a tasty offering from a fairly local brewery. Lancaster area is just blowing up with some good breweries as of late and that makes me happy. Still one to try whether you can taste the mango or not.
Cheers!

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Tj's in Paoli.
Golden amber in color with excellent, bright white lacing and decent head retention.
Aroma is a tad faint for what I was expecting, but more of the mango shows up after it warms a little bit.
Taste is very enjoyable. Not a mango punch in the face, but a very solid addition/complement to the style. Spring House has a darker, more malty IPA and this was no exception, but the fruit added a little more sweetness, which I enjoyed because it helped cut down on the bitterness.
Finished very clean. Carbonation spot on and no detection of the alcohol. Very easy drinking here once your palate gets used to the minor sweet aspect of this one.
Very solid execution from Spring House. Looking forward to the day they kick this up a notch.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast