The Astounding She-Monster Mango I.P.A. | Spring House Brewing Company

The Astounding She-Monster Mango I.P.A.The Astounding She-Monster Mango I.P.A.
3.79/5
The Astounding She-Monster Mango I.P.A.The Astounding She-Monster Mango I.P.A.

Spring House Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
springhousebeer.com

Style: American IPA

Our juiciest beer features ripe mango and tropical hop aroma on the nose followed by a mild bitterness from the Citra and Falconer's Flight hops and some alcohol warmth to balance out the sweetness of the fresh mango.

Added by Kegatron on 03-28-2011

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.67/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This poured out as a nice clear amber color with a cream colored head on top. The retention on this one was pretty solid as well as the lacing. The smell of the beer was moderately hoppy with a big sweetness on the nose... I wasn't able to pick up on much Mango. Not sure why? The taste is malty with a very subtle fruitiness to it with the hops following up in the finish. The mouthfeel was medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Overall I feel this one could have used more of the fruit in it but maybe I just needed to try it as my first beer of the night also. Either way it's a pretty good brew and odds are I would buy it again.

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: A bit of a bubble show produces a thick head that caps the amber liquid; nice retention and a fair amount of splashy lace is left behind

Smell: Floral and sweet tropical fruit tones - as much cantaloupe as there is mango

Taste: Shortbread malt up front with tropical fruit flavors developing, in the middle; it doesn't scream mango as much as it does cantaloupe but there is mango in there, for sure; the finish is rather sweet

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Like everyone else, I try to drink my IPAs fresh but somehow this managed to sit in my cellar for about nine months; still, while it wasn't as hoppy as I am sure it was when fresh, I got the general idea and I still rather enjoyed it

Thanks, justanewby, for the opportunity

3.61/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.55/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

First had: on tap at the Taproom, Lancaster, PA

A hazy, golden-orange liquid with a small fizzy head that receded to a ringlet; minimal lacing. Aroma contained a good bit of mango, as promised, sweet and malty, with a light hoppiness. Came off more as an APA than an IPA in both smell and taste. Mango and citrus zest in the taste, sweet, but not cloying, a solid bready malt base, hops being more muted than crisp. Medium body, moderately chewy, easily drinkable. Good, but not quite what I'm looking for in an IPA.

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%

On tap @ the Spring House Taproom (Lancaster, PA) on 3/26/11. Served in an imperial pint glass.

Pours a deep murky burnt orange in the glass, topped with a thin bubbly covering of bright-white head. This dissipates rather quickly, not leaving back much in the way of retention or lacing, but does coat the sides of the glass with thick pulpy fruit residues. The mango is HEAVY in the nose, with a delicious ripe juiciness. There is a touch of sweeter malt and some earthy citric hops present but the mango flavor just dominates this for the most part.

The taste is more of the same, with pure mango fruit just controlling this. There is some bready sweetness across the back of the profile but it seems to do nothing more than have a presence for the mango flavor to prop up against. Hops are present as well but mostly seem to have an earthy sharpness that adheres to the pithy bitterness of the mango. That is what lingers rather heavily on the tongue and roof of the mouth after each sip. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a softer carbonation up front that then works itself into more of a sharp and crisp feel as this down. A well hid bigger ABV and some underlying juicy slickness help keep this relatively smooth in the mouth overall.

While there was certainly no shortage of mango in this guy, I would have liked to have seen a bit more IPA here with my fruit, as some more complexity would have been welcome to help keep this a little more interesting during the duration of the whole glass. I like the effort and experimentation with the fruited IPAs going on here though. I'd like to see this one continue to be tweaked.

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.06/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Spring House B.C. just recently began CANning this cute little monster & when I had an extra CAN or two of something else in trade, this was offered in return!

From the CAN: "Ale Brewed With Mango". A Rexam CAN, no less!

I Crack!ed her open and turned her upside down for the Glug. Lots of wailing & screaming aCANpanied by the rising of three fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head with good retention. Once she settled down, I had enough sticky lacing to hold me over until my next beerthday. Color was an oh-so-slightly-hazy Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9), suggesting that her lair may not have its own filtration system. It pains me to report this, but I have been working with Doctor Who & Torchwood in an effort to deflect their attention away from me. You see, repeated forays into the CANned Minhas world have turned me into The Cyberleader, but I only change form when drinking a Minhas Craft Brewery beer so that I am undetectable in the interim. I am strengthening my guise by reporting all other monsters as I come in CANtact with them. A final shake of the CAN released a load of lees that had been in hiding. I would suggest that if clarity is your goal, deCANt this Monster slowly. Nose smelled heavily of mango, like She was wearing it as perfume. Mmmm. Astounding! Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, but prickly with a good bit of carbonation and a tad of fusel alcohol warmth on the tongue. She was clearly not going to be CANsumed without putting up a modicum of resistance. It is of no matter to me. She will be CANverted like so many others! Her finish was smooth, bitter as befits those who resist, but satisfying. I will be gathering these Monsters as quickly & as copiously as I CAN, lest any escape!

3.47/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on-tap in the Taproom.

A - Pours hazy deep orange with a small half finger tall white head, dissipating down a light film, leaving little to no lace down the glass. Quite dull looking honestly.

S - Smells of lots of mango's, sweet caramel malt, and a dulled earthy hop presence. I understand where he was going with this one but the mango's dominate a little too much.

T - Starts off with a ton of fruity mango up front slowly giving way to a mix of dulled citric hop bite, sweet caramel malt, and a touch of chewy bread at the end. The finish is a mix of sweetness and light chewiness, lingering on the pallet for s short period of time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sweet, fruity, feel with a slightly chewy finish.

O - I liked this one for what it was. I would like to see the fruit dialed back a bit and the hops to come forward a bit more. It was better than the first time I had it so there is that...

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.41/5  rDev -10%

On tap at the Spring House Tap Room on 4/8/11. Served in an imperial nonic. This brew appears a muddy color of brown with a light tinge of orange coloration but not much. This brew looks like apricot juice mixed with apple cider. There is no head to speak of, even swirling the glass does nothing. No head, no lace, not even some bubbles hanging around the surface or edges.

The aroma is fruity with a light indication of hops. Quite a malty scent of caramel sweetness for an IPA. The mango incorporation is impossible to miss, it is quite bold and provides most of the aromatic character to the brew. Sadly the hops take a back seat here but for not being what I was hoping for, it still smells good.

The taste is very malt sweet with caramel flavoring. Somewhat fruity with a minor hop inclusion and very fruity from the mango with an extra fruity kick almost like orange rinds. The finish produces more IPA character than the first impression and mid taste, the aftertaste is oily with hoppy resines and grass. As it warms the malt tastes a bit toasted.

This is a full bodied brew that is lightly carbonated, maybe a bit too low on the carb. The contribution of alcohol is minimal and quite hidden for 7%. Easy drinking but misses the mark if you are in the mood for an IPA. Fruit beer yes, IPA not so much.

4.33/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.82/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%