The Astounding She-Monster Mango I.P.A. | Spring House Brewing Company

The Astounding She-Monster Mango I.P.A.The Astounding She-Monster Mango I.P.A.

Spring House Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
springhousebeer.com

Style: American IPA

Our juiciest beer features ripe mango and tropical hop aroma on the nose followed by a mild bitterness from the Citra and Falconer's Flight hops and some alcohol warmth to balance out the sweetness of the fresh mango.

Added by Kegatron on 03-28-2011

3.28/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.61/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2.94/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.44/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

3.89/5  rDev +1.6%

L - Golden-orange. Frothy heads reduces to patches in 3 minutes. Looks a-ok.
S - Big ripe (over-ripe?) mango, syrupy sweetness, clean citrus in there as well. Big aroma, pungent, interesting.
T - Bitter melon, big mango without being too sweet, pine mingled with caramel. Fruity. Bitter pine dominates the aftertaste.
F - Medium body, good carbonation.
O - The mango is happening, but it's not sweet. Big aroma and flavor, kinda funky but I would have it again. Cheers!

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

1.75/5  rDev -54.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured gently at 47°F from a 12oz can (canned on 10Feb16) into a Spiegelau IPA glass. Consumed on 26Mar16.
LOOK: Pours with three fingers worth of dense, white foam. At 35 seconds, the foam becomes rocky and poruous. Within 2 and a half minutes, the head has receded to a fingers worth, leaving behind a moderate amount of very thick lacing. Honey orange in color with a high amount of cloudiness. There is a large quantity of both small and medium-sized rising bubbles. Lacing is high in quantity and both thick and very thick.
SMELL: Very strong aromas of mango, peach, papaya, and apricot nearly suffocate the mild aromas piney hops and white bread, but I love it.
TASTE: Strong piney hop flavors surprisingly are the first that dance upon my tongue. I was not expecting this given the smell. Strong mango, peach, apricot, papaya and bitter hop flavors immediately roll out. Lastly, mild white bread flavors enter and bring a malt balance to the hop explosion as all previous flavors persist.
FEEL: Somewhere between medium-bodied and full-bodied. Carbonation levels are moderate. Goes down somewhat smooth and creamy. Finishes with a strong and unpleasant dryness.
NOTE: I'm somewhat disappointed that the fruit flavors aren't as prevalant as they are in the smell. I'm also very disappointed that this has so much bitterness.

Great mango IPA the smell is more pronounced than the taste but it is still very well integrated for an IPA. Worth the price for a 3 dollar can which I am glad Spring house is doing since bombers were 8-9 dollars each. Give it a try!

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

3.84/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

3.49/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.06/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Spring House B.C. just recently began CANning this cute little monster & when I had an extra CAN or two of something else in trade, this was offered in return!

From the CAN: "Ale Brewed With Mango". A Rexam CAN, no less!

I Crack!ed her open and turned her upside down for the Glug. Lots of wailing & screaming aCANpanied by the rising of three fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head with good retention. Once she settled down, I had enough sticky lacing to hold me over until my next beerthday. Color was an oh-so-slightly-hazy Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9), suggesting that her lair may not have its own filtration system. It pains me to report this, but I have been working with Doctor Who & Torchwood in an effort to deflect their attention away from me. You see, repeated forays into the CANned Minhas world have turned me into The Cyberleader, but I only change form when drinking a Minhas Craft Brewery beer so that I am undetectable in the interim. I am strengthening my guise by reporting all other monsters as I come in CANtact with them. A final shake of the CAN released a load of lees that had been in hiding. I would suggest that if clarity is your goal, deCANt this Monster slowly. Nose smelled heavily of mango, like She was wearing it as perfume. Mmmm. Astounding! Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, but prickly with a good bit of carbonation and a tad of fusel alcohol warmth on the tongue. She was clearly not going to be CANsumed without putting up a modicum of resistance. It is of no matter to me. She will be CANverted like so many others! Her finish was smooth, bitter as befits those who resist, but satisfying. I will be gathering these Monsters as quickly & as copiously as I CAN, lest any escape!

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bomber poured into a snifter.

3.25 A: Murky dark orange color. Two fingers of frothy beige-ish head. Retention is about average and one finger of spotty lacing is left.

3.75 S: Lots of mango and cantaloupe to start. Papaya underneath. The hops also give a pleasant sugariness. Bready malts and yeast. Mainly clean, but a bit of a vegetal component in there as well. Still, overall it's pretty good.

3.75 T: Mild-moderate bitterness. Again sugary hops and plenty of mango, papaya, and cantaloupe. I'm not picking up the off-flavors in the taste, so good there. Booze is well hidden and malts are bready and biscuity.

4.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Active spritziness to it with a mild creaminess.

3.75 D: Pretty good beer, but it seems pretty hard to not make a good beer with citra.

The Astounding She-Monster Mango I.P.A. from Spring House Brewing Company