Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

India Pale Ale | Selin's Grove Brewing Company

selinsgrovebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by rdrummer on 05-09-2004

3.88/5  rDev -9.6%

I had this at the Brew Pub. Served in a sample glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear golden amber color with a layer of off white head that fades to a ring around the pour.

Smell: I'm getting a citrus peel hop bitterness right off the bat. This one smells quite heavy with some malt sweetness and alcohol along with the hops. Perhaps a bit muddles.

Taste: Definitely an east coast IPA. The hop bitterness mauls the tongue, but I feel it could be a bit more refined. Very aggressive citrus hops maul the tongue. There is a mild fruity note here along with the hops. The finish is quite bitter.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium with lots of carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This beer isn't what I expected, especially after trying the pale ale. The hop bitterness just assaults the tongue, but it needs to be held back a bit. Good but not great.

3.92/5  rDev -8.6%

on tap at the brewpub on 9/28

A good looking pint, deep amber, small head which dissipated quite quickly. Not too much carbonation

Smell was nice and hoppy, though oddly enough I felt I got more from the APA earlier.

Taste was what you would expect from a good IPA, really got into the crevices of the mouth, leaving that "aahhh" feeling.

Overall, a good one, could see a session on just this alone.

3.93/5  rDev -8.4%

3.97/5  rDev -7.5%

Selin's Grove's IPA has an orange colored body that is slightly hazy despite the fact that it doesn't have any sediment in it. The white head has solid retention and some good lacing.

A pretty nice hop aroma features hops in the form of grapefruit and orange along with a bit of pine. A little bit of spiciness from the hops also. Just a bit of malt in the background.

This is a good IPA that is on the hoppy side. Lots of citrus in the form of grapefruit and orange. Perhaps a little bit of pineapple also. Then, just a hint of biscuit-like malt pops up before it is beat into submission by more hops that are resinous and pine flavored. The finish has a good bite of bitterness.

Moderate body and carbonation with just a hint of hop oil. The finish is dry and bitter.

This IPA from Selin's Grove is very nice. I wish that I had brought an extra growler with me to take some home.

3.97/5  rDev -7.5%

Shared by Jason and split with a few of us.

A - Pours copper/hazy orange, slight carbonation, thin ring around the glass and some bubbles here and there on top.

S - Sweetness of malts, slight hops/citrus, pineapple, tropical fruit, apples. Lots of sweetness and slight hops. I don't think I've ever had an IPA smell quite like this. If there was more hops on the nose, I'd almost say it's a DIPA

T - Slight hops, citrus, tropical fruits, very smooth mix of malts and hops. Not overly sweet or hoppy...a good combo. The sweetness and hops mix together well and it doesn't taste like any other IPA I've ever had. Sweet finish with a touch of citrus.

M - Light, slight carbonation (could be more here), semi-dry finish.

D - Pretty darn good. Had a couple of pours and although I liked it, there are many other IPAs I'd rather have and much easier to score.

3.98/5  rDev -7.2%

Serving type- I recieved a growler of this from Tanger in the Growling at the Moon Thanksgrowling edition(2nd stage). Poured into a Selin's Grove pint glass that was included in the package.

A- Pours a hazy deep straw yellow color. There are also hints of amber colors in the pint glass as well. There is a little carbonation activity but not very much, there is also a one finger white lace that quickly disipates into a little lacing.

S- I am getting strong grapefruit/citrus notes in the nose. There is also little underpining of alcohol notes as well, they are subtle but constant. I am not picking up much more than that, a real subtle smell to this beer.

T- The citrus, especially grapefruit, that was present in the nose of the beer comes out in the tastes as well. The combination of the citrus and piney flavored hops does not overpower the taste, it stays smooth and consistent from start to finish making for a nice tasting and pleasant IPA. I am getting a little bitterness near the end of the taste but that is to be expected for an India Pale Ale.

Like I mentioned above this growler was sent to me for the second leg of Growling at the Moon from Jon(Tanger). Before getting this I had never heard of this particular brewery btu after doing a little research I was very curious to pop the top on this beer and give it a shot. This is a solid east coast IPA that could easily by the type of beer you buy in growler form and drink while kicking back and watching football(which I am doing now). A very easy and very drinkable IPA. Thanks again Jon.

Reviewed from notes during trip to the brewery on June 18.  I also returned with growler and enjoyed this one from home.

The color was hazy copper-orange with dense thick head. The growler that I poured from 2 days later did not have such a nice head.  There was a pretty serious nose one this brew. Strong citrus and tropical fruit aroma with floral overtones.  The taste of this guy was similar to the bouquet. The hops gave this some citrus bitterness than gave way to a caramels and sweet malt flavor. The body was medium, with very low carbonation (almost none, even from the tap).  The low carbonation gave this a creamy mouthfeel.

This brewery opened in 1996 when I was a senior at Susquehanna U., which is in Selinsgrove. I loved their IPA then and still do.

Had this on 2011-07-23 in Columbia, PA

A - Hazy amber-orange with a 1-finger off-white head with excellent lacing.

S - Lots of earthy spice, some pine, mild tropical-yeasty-fruity esters and citrus.

T - The earthy spice strongly sits on top of a significant caramel malt backbone. The hops come in as strong floral with a touch of oxidized fruit, mint and candied orange. It takes a little while for the orange zest and grapefruit bitterness to penetrate the malt but it's satisfying when it does. The beer has some residual sweetness that I'd say balances with the lingering bitterness. Call it a tie.

M - Sticky with medium body and light-medium carbonation. Resinous and a little prickly.

O - An enjoyable IPA that leans towards a "spicy pie filling" malt backbone before it gets assertive. My preference runs to a drier, more brightly-citrus brew but there's a lot of flavor here for an IPA.

Notes: I had another glass of this 5 hours after leaving the brewery. This growler was kept cold during this time. There wasn't much difference between this growler and on-tap. The only thing I noticed is I could smell it further away at home because it wasn't competing with the kitchen smells at the brewery.

India Pale Ale from Selin's Grove Brewing Company