India Pale Ale | Selin's Grove Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by rdrummer on 05-09-2004

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last

4.92/5  rDev +14.7%

appearance: medium gold color with a relatively long lasting head (could have perhaps lingered longer). Good clarity.

aroma: when I pick up an IPA and get a whiff of the aroma and it smells like i'm in the midst of a flower garden it is one of my greatest beer experiences. this beer met that challenge. onlookers think I am strange but I may spend minutes just taking in such an aroma and commenting on it before even drinking any of the beer. High floral hop aroma, using a variety of hops.

taste: after reveling on the hop aroma I was not disappointed in finally tasting this beer. Key for me in an IPA is balance. This beer achieved that. There was a high citrusy (and fruity) hop flavor that was very smooth and clean with the malt perfectly balanced in the background. This hop flavor gradually disappeared so that there was not the harsh lingering aftertaste which I have experienced with far too many attempts by other brewers in an IPA. Medium-dry finish.

mouthfeel: medium-light bodied teetering on a razor-sharp edge of a possible slight astingency from all the hops. Carbonation right on. Medium amount of alcohol warming, not at all overdone.

drinkability: highly recommended for the refreshing quality, the up front floral hop aroma, and the continuing pleasurable balance and finish in the taste.

This is cleary one of the best IPA's i've had in the eastern U.S. and probably equals the two best IPA's that I have tried in the northwest U.S. Highly recommended. Wish I had an endless stream of this beer.

4.44/5  rDev +3.5%

4.68/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I stopped in for dinner and got this beer with my chili. It looked like any other glass of beer I've had placed in front of me by the waitresses of these eating establishments. I bypassed the smell and took a nice gulp of this beer. It was delicious. It was smooth, malty, and silky. I was instantly enamoured with this beer and wanted more of its delicious taste. At that moment I finally realized how Edmund felt when taking Turkish delight from the white witch. I got a growler to go and will be going back to fill it up. The taste comes out best when served a little warmer than most, about 50 degrees. This beer is my number 1 for taste.

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last