Pumpkin Ale | Selin's Grove Brewing Company

Added by Deuane on 10-29-2007

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

I hate Pumpkin beers but I thought I’d review this one and give it a ridiculously low score because it’s not a DIPA or a Sour – JK

Stopped by this gem of a little brewpub on the #Fall #Halloween #Pumpkin trip 2013. (Anyone see that Jimmy Fallon skit?)

If you like shipyard pumpkinhead (regular not the smashed version) – this beer might require you to put some training wheels on.

Poured by the great bartender Jen – First thing I noticed is it’s on nitro tap – awesome. First time having a pumpkin on nitro tap. A very dark Orange/Brown with a nice creamy head.

This actually smells like pumpkin!!! No, not cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ect (although I do get a subtle waft of those too) but actual pumpkin! I can’t wait to dive in.

Finally, a pumpkin beer that tastes like pumpkin. The normally associated spices are there but subtle. The squash taste really comes through beautifully. This is the best pumpkin that I’ve ever had. I’m glad I got to enjoy 2 pints of it. Gets so much better as it warms up.

The mouthfeel is awesome – smooth with a touch of nitro creaminess.

To date – this is my #1 pumpkin beer. Too bad it’s only on tap 4.5 hours away from me once a year.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

I had this at the Brew Pub. Served in a sample glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy amber color with not much head showing up at all.

Smell: I would say the overall smell is mild. I'm getting some brown sugar sweetness with a hint of pumpkin type spices. The pumpkin flavor is there, but it's not standing out.

Taste: Mildly sweet with a pumpkin flavor. There is a fruity note that contains some green apple. I'm getting a mild spice note with a bready spice finish.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium with very full carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a very mild but nice pumpkin ale. I would have more, but I don't know that it lived up to the score.

Mouthfeel:

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Had on tap at Selin's Grove. Review from notes.

A: Pours a slightly hazy copper/orange color with an off-white head, about a finger in height that has decent retention, leaving a thin cap on top. Moderate lacing.

S: Aroma a bit closed at first, but opened up quite a bit as it warmed. Lots of nice spice going on, cinnamon, nutmeg, with a little ginger. A bit of bready/graham cracker malt.

T: Quite tasty for a pumpkin beer, the spices and pumpkin blend nicely with the pie crust like malt. More cinnamon and nutmeg mixed with pumpkin, and a bit of vanilla.

M: Medium bodied with a very smooth mouthfeel.

O: Certainly one of the better pumpkin beers I have had.

3.6/5  rDev -16.9%

This beer is the reason I found out about Selin's Grove. I had been searching on here for good seasonal brews and saw this had a high rating. The beer was poured and needed a lengthy period of time for the nitro to settle. The beer is a very nice looking orange copper color with the soft creamy nitro head on top. There wasn't much lacing with was surprising. The retention was very good though. The smell of the beer wasn't that good, it was kinda funky. The taste was pretty good but there was also a metallic flavor in there... Had the iron-like flavor not been there the fla or of this would be great. Pumpkin, spices, and vanilla sweetness all come together with a nice soft finish. The mouthfeel is creamy, medium bodied, very smooth. This is very drinkable. Overall this beer could be mind blowing if they can fix the aroma and metallic flavor in there. Still found this to be very good though.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

I went there the day after the town parade just to have this beer. It smelled like Yuengling. I wasn't expecting that. It tasted much better than how it smelled. The nitro gave it a creamy mouth feel. There was very little taste of pumpkin. It was not spicy with cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice at all which I loved. It was more like a vanilla creamy with a very slight hint of pumpkin. The pub was very quaint and country like. We got to drink all there beers outside which added a nice touch of Fall. Overall, Selin's Grove's beer were all fantastic!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast