Sage Against The Machine | HopCat

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 16
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

First stop on a brewery tour in Grand Rapids, Mi was Hop Cat. I chose this beer and realized I made a good choice after the first sip.

A: hazy amber pour with a creamy white head

S: honey, sage, lavender, sweet bread

T: bready, sweet, herbal, crisp, with an oak finish

M: medium body

O: nice

4.39/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap and cool in a tall pint at the pub in Grand Rapids.

Wisp white head and an orange gold body. Smell is sweet, grainy and distinctly sage smelling.

Flavor is sweet grain, enough hop to balance but the sage is what is in play throughout here.

Medium to light body.

Very enjoyable. Unique. As advertised. What I like to see with these styles, beer and flavor x.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

Had on tap at Hopcat. It's described on their menu as a "honey sage pale".

Appearance was a clear pale yellow with minimal head in the sample glass that they nicely provided me with.

The scent was pure pine. I didn't get 'sage' specifically, but I think if I were blindfolded and asked about it that I'd likely feel that sage and some species of evergreen smell the same.

Medium carbonation, I think just enough.

The taste was interesting - Pine, to an earthy herb (sage, there you are!), to hops bitter (I didn't get a specific cirtrus/herb note to the hops at this point) to a lingering hops that ended lemony and dry.

Like another piney beer that I had recently, I did like this quite a bit (enough to play with taking home a growler of it). I generally like to sample 1-2 beers in a session and generally with some food. The kitchen was closed and I wasn't sure if I could commit to a full pint of this beer without some food to buffer - and then it would need to be the right food.

I'd probably put an interesting peppery goat cheese with this and some puffed rice crackers and see where my tastebuds led me. The herby earthyness of this beer would be drawn out by the goat cheese, IMO.

An enjoyable beer, I just wasn't ready to commit to a full pint of it. I'd drink it again under the right circumstances. =)

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

P: On tap @ the Hop Cat (reviewed from notes)

A: SRM is pale yellow. Clear. Head was white, 1 in. Medium carbonation. Light lacing.

S: Sage is noticable, hops give a slightly citrusy/piney nose.

T: Saged IPA. Excellent balance between hops and sage.

M: Slightly bitter, robust, medium body, sage gives a pleasant herbaceous quality.

O: Fantastic idea, [email protected] name. Had a sampler first, then a few pints of this. Well excecuted and I hope it is on tap next time I go there. I also have to say this,: OLIVE BURGER!!!

Sage Against The Machine from HopCat