Xyauyù Etichetta Rame (Copper) | Birrificio Le Baladin

Xyauyù Etichetta Rame (Copper)Xyauyù Etichetta Rame (Copper)

Birrificio Le Baladin
Italy
birreria.com

Style: English Barleywine

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-26-2006

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%

Brought back home for me by my friend who is temporarily living in Italia. Salute Daniele!

A: A murky, red copper. Pretty purdy. No head.

S: Lots of wine, grape-like smells. Also apples, but not really dark fruit. Very sweet.

T: Sweet wine and apple liquer, which I imagine exists or has existed at some point. Reminds me of my mother's mincemeat pie, which does not have actual meat, but apples soaked in brandy. Very sweet.

M: As I had heard, this beer is without carbonation. Feels more like an after-dinner liquer than a beer. This makes it nice and rich, but does negatively impact the

Drinkability: fairly low. I split this with two friends, and though we had a few other beers we wanted to get to, the 5 or 6 ounces we each drank took the better part of an hour to get through. Trying to drink it all by myself would have been very foolish. The sweetness started to become rather cloying as well, and I have quite the sweet tooth.

Certainly a unique beer. Quite tasty in small doses. I would really treat this like a liquer. Have a few ounces after dinner, and then seal it for the next night, or the next week. I don't think it could get any sweeter, so even a little oxidation wouldn't hurt it.

4.69/5  rDev +8.6%

2005 vintage.

Aroma:Smells like a brandy, also smells like samichlaus. Lots of malty flavors, dates, raisins, plums. Hot alcohol.

Appearance:Dark burgundy in color. Lots of sediment floating around.

Taste:This is hugely sweet. Hazelnuts, raisins, dates, and maple syrup.

Mouthfeel:Hugely viscous and syrupy, very smooth.

Drinkability:This is a very unique beer, reminiscent of samichlaus and utopias, but smoother. It's a quite delicious sipper.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

Very interesting about how this beer is brewed in the review below. Some techniques I've never heard of. Any way.

This is a 2005 vintage. I've been sitting on this bottle for about a year and a half not wanting to open it because it is one of the most expensive bottles I have bought. Read below about the vintage.

Pours a completely flat dark caramel color. More like a light brown maple syrup. The bottle is awesome though and it makes you feel like your opening something revolutionary.

Aroma is tons of dark fruits. I have never had a beer with more dark fruit aroma. Mostly rasin. Tons of toasted sugars and caramel. Very complex.

Wow. Taste. I don't know what to say. It's like sucking on a part maple part simple syrup solution. Sooo sweet. It's amazing that there is no alcohol burn. Absolutly zero. And my bottle is 13%. ABV. It's way too sweet though. But the flavors are nice.

Mouthfeel is actually not as thick as I was expecting. The non existent carbonation actually probably helps out the mouthfeel because it would probably taste too thick if there was some carb.

Overall it is way too sweet and is gunna be hard to finish. I should have brought this to a tasting and not split it with a buddy. Would have felt better to split a $50 bottle of beer with more people and we probably would have enjoyed it more since a couple sips and you have had enough.

4.87/5  rDev +12.7%

This beer was brewed in 2003, but the vintage date on the bottle lists 2005. Heres why. Musso boils his wort (water and sugar extracted from malted barley) for a very long period of time to create a very sweet and dense liquid. It is then inoculated with a yeast from an Islay Distillery and laid to rest for a long, and difficult 40 days primary fermentation (primary would normally be 4 to 7 days). From there the temperature is lowered to 0C (32F) and kept there for a further 3 months. The beer is then filtered and left in an open tank in a sterilized room for 18 months - then finally it will be bottled where it rests for another 6 before it is sent away.

While I greatly enjoyed this beer, the rich, robust, uncarbonated and port-like style of beer is not for everyone. But what you have to do is rid yourself of any silly preconceptions of what beer is. I think we should all know by now that beer doesn't exist merely as a weak fizzy yellow drink - it can be so much more, and a beer like this proves that. So before you open it, clear your mind, and prepare for flavor, and nothing else.

I opened the Xyauyu up around cellar temperature around 14C (57F), just slightly chilled, but far from cold. I poured it into a stemmed tulip glass gently and a thick, silky, oil-like amber brown beer slid out and crashed heavily into the bottom of the glass. Instantly you could tell that this beer was richly viscous, very oily, and in that Madeira realm. The beer rested in the glass with absolutely no head, and only a couple bubbles along the sides of the glass that should not be confused for carbonation; so few I can count them (24...). Totally calm and peaceful, the Xyauyu chilled in my glass glowing a muted burgundy brown with deep shades of golden mahogany, copper, dark purples and shades of black. It was very pretty, and unsuspecting - especially if you still think beer should be yellow and fizzy.

The nose is tawny and sweet with thick malt sensations, sugary fruits, and an earthy must. Getting my nose right into the glass opened me up to raisins, dates, figs, prunes, syrup, brown sugar, caramelized malts, brandy, strawberry jam, and sweet molasses. It is big and malty rich right away but shows traces of balance by way of sweet leather, earth and tobacco. This beer pours flavor out to you right from the get go.

A gentle tilt of the glass to bring some of this richly golden brown beer onto my palate lit up my face and warmed my soul. The beer so gently glides over your tongue and falls heavily onto your cheeks with a sublimely silky and oily texture that wraps your mouth in a velvety blanket of flavor. All the sweetness of the malts, the ageing, and the hard work burst out at you in a smooth and refined manner.

A honey like stew of dried fruits and fresh jam caress my tongue first and open up to figs, dates, caramel and stewed pears. A syrup like malty sweetness is built into the center of this beer and brings hints of brandy and Orloso sherry. It is smooth and warming and goes down with a silky, boozy touch. Take sips, not gulps. This beer was meant to be savored.

As your palate warms to the sweet malts, ranges of herbs and leather begin to show added complexity, and I swear that I taste tobacco. Its a sweet and gooey earthiness that I can recognize from some of my favorite ripe cigars. Touches of warm nut and back to figs and dates remain powerful in the beer's body, and I am amazed at its construction and overall presence. This really should be considered an Italian-Style Barleywine.

No carbonation, intensely malty sweet, hints of jam, orange zest, berries, stewed figs, port and brandy all come together to form a remarkable beer which should be enjoyed on its own with friends. You would have a tough time drinking an entire bottle to yourself in less than 8 hours. I sipped on my 5 or 6 ounces for probably 40 minutes, and enjoyed every second of it. The refined, but malty sweet flavor and silky and warming finish crate a masterpiece. I can't wait to try the 2010 vintage. This is a beer for the ages.

Pics at: http://wp.me/pNKWo-1eE

4.77/5  rDev +10.4%

This is possibly one of the best Barley Wines I have ever had.

Imported through B United, this Italian Beast comes from Birrificio Baladin. And is one of the best and rarest Barley Wines out there period.

It pours into a glass nice copper color alcohol. The smell is sweet of some sort of high end port or sherry, and some what like cognac.

For a beverage which is very similar to the Sam Adams Utopias, this is excellent, and only a fourth of the price.

Most places are selling this awesome barley wine around $45 to $50, and Sam Utopias goes from $160 to $500 depending if your buying it online or not, and during it's season.

Xyauyu is simply one of the best alcoholic beverages I have ever had.

Leave it to the Italians to kick ass at Beer too. Watch out Belgium, your not the only ones who produce excellent products.

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Served as part of a pairing with a meal at Vetri in Philly... 2005 Vintage paired with dessert.

Pours a shimmering, clean and clear copper color, sticking to the sides of the glass like maple syrup. No carbonation to speak of. Scent in a wonderus malted barley that brings forth whiffs of sherry, port, orange liqour, toffee and nuts. Taste is a sticky sweet, yet wonderosly blended combination of all the above mentioned components of smell. Excellent after dinner, dessert accompanyment, a whole bottle in itself would be a challenge to get down due to the syrupy sweetness, but a delight none the less.

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Silver text on black label 2006 reserve. Purchased at Birrotto in Genoa, Italy near Piazza Ferrari.

A - Perfectly clear, reddish sunset to golden highlights.

S - Spices, tons of toffee, lots of alcohol fumage. Overwhelmingly sweet.

T - Honeydew and watermelon rind sweetness with a strong alcohol finish. Coppery essences in there. Burns the back of the tongue as it goes down.

M - Absolutely no carbonation to speak of. Flat. Smooth, slightly less than medium bodied and that lends itself well to the flavor and strength of the beer. If it were syrupy, the combination of sticky sweet and thick might be a little too much.

3.55/5  rDev -17.8%

Bronze version, brewed in 2005. 500mL bottle, poured into my Stone Old Guardian glass. Thanks, Blake.

Dead still pour. Absolutely no carbonation evident whatsoever. It's an interesting pour nonetheless, thick and syrupy. Dark, clear, brownish color with ruby highlights. Quite pretty.

Aroma... holy crap. Massive hit of sweetness, toffee, a bit of spice, and booze. Weird that it seems to calm down after a few minutes in the glass - maybe I was just taken by surprise.

Taste is quite nice, though far from my favorite barleywine. It's a honey bomb. The girlfriend likened it to plum wine, which I can see too - it has almost a Kool-Aid type sweetness to it. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe some raisins? A hint of spice on the finish, which is interesting for the style. Not as complex as I have found in other examples of English barleywines, but still enjoyable enough.

Mouthfeel is probably the best part of this beer. Sticky, syrupy, and thick, this is a good example of what a barleywine ought to be.

Drinkability suffers. It's just so damn sweet! I'm a third of my way through my half of the bottle, and I've got to take it real slow-like. Enjoyable, but I can't imagine wanting more than a single pour of this stuff. Get a bottle and find four friends to split it with.

This is a good brew, definitely interesting, but it will be a once-in-a-while thing for me.

4.32/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a wine glass.

Pours a bright, clear bronze, with absolutely no head, but beautiful to look at nonetheless.

Aromas of sweet caramel and lightly oxidized apple and pear dominate the nose. Sweet and appealing. Tastes of sweet apple, refined sugar (though not cheap), and light spice. Very saturated flavor, almost syrup-like, but medium bodied yet thick. Sweet, but not cloying, which in my opinion is the single most interesting aspect of this beer. The various components could very well have added up to a super-sweet, undrinkable brew, but they managed to toe the line without stepping over, and the result is a fantastic flavorful beer, one which I'd be happy to sip over a few hours.

Worth the price tag? Difficult to say. But this is a darn fine beer.

3.44/5  rDev -20.4%

Another bottle opened up at a recent tasting.

Pours a ruddy brown, minimal head.

Aroma is mostly Good N Plenty, red licorice, bourbon vanilla - a very candy-like nose.

Very, very sweet on the palate. Amaretto-like sweetness - in fact, this really could almost pass as an amaretto substitute. Really tasty, but can get sickeningly sweet.

It smells like a cordial, tastes like a cordial, and feels like a cordial.

I think this is a sweet after-dinner cordial trying to masquerade as a beer. Whatever it is, you only need a little of it, preferably at dessert.

3.81/5  rDev -11.8%

Cousin brought from STL. Expensive bottle to buy in the states, but I had to try. Poured into a stemless wine glass.

A - Great copper golden color. Poured thick so I knew I was in for some syrup Barleywine.

S - The alcohol smell come into play as well as grape/wine like features. Complex to the nose for a beer.

T - Green grape taste, bourbon flavors hit the tounge.

M - Very flat with no carbonation which is somehwat common with this style, but I think to balance this syrupy/alchoholic brew you need something to get a little hop flavor.

D - Rough to get down. I am not a scotch sipper, but if you're into that thing then this might appeal more to you. Definitely sip this and savor small wine glass full.

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Sampled on 04/23/09 @ The Beer Table (Brooklyn, NYC).

Served out of a questionably marked, and elegant 750ml. bottle into a snifter glass. I say questionable because after we finished this unbelievable rarity we tested the volume and it is actually a 500ml. bottle.

2006 Gold label vintage.

This rarity pours mahogany in color with ruby red accents. Absolutely no head and no lacing to speak of, and appearance is very sherry like. The nose is of port wine, sherry, with a touch of nuttiness and booze. Taste is malt dominated fruitiness up front with a finish of sherry, alcohol, and lingering burnt toffee. Mouthfeel is silky and clean. This brew is dangerously drinkable due to the 13% ABV being slightly present, but still well masked. The only aspect of this beverage that takes away from the drinkability is the lack of availability, and expensive price tag which ranges from $38-$65/bottle. On a side note, IMO this brew should age wonderfully and hold up for years to come.

Overall, this is one amazing brew that was an absolute pleasure to sample and review! If I lived in Italy this would without a doubt be my everyday drinker if I could afford it. A perfect Italian interpretation of an English Barleywine.

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Gold version. Vintage 2005. Serving date 2009-02-14. Served in medium sized wine glass.

Presentation: 500 ml sturdy bottle with golden letters on the label. Presented in a black cardboard box without any inscriptions whatsoever. Comes with a small leaflet with some short notes of which I can only understand fragments (it's written in Italian, which I don't speak). The bottle is sealed using a regular wine cork (not a champagne cork), and I think it's authentic cork, not synthetic. I couldn't find any freshness date on the bottle, but I wouldn't worry to much about that with this one.

I've tried to gather some information about this beer and its production procedures, but I have only been able to find small parts of info. Apparently, the Xyauyù is made in three versions, copper (might be bronze, not really sure), silver and gold. After primary fermentation it matures using a method originally used in the production of sherry and port wine. During the maturation, that lasts for about 2,5 years, the beer is exposed to oxygen, causing oxidation. The three versions differ in the degree of oxidation - the gold version is the most oxidized one. I'm not sure if the vintage year on the label indicates brewing year or bottling year, but I think it's brewing year, which means this one's been bottled for about 1,5 - 2 years. The ABV in the gold version is 13,5%.

Appearance: The cork comes off with a minimal pop, indicating low levels of carbonation. The cork really smells more of wine than beer. When poured, the beer has a very nice, glowing amber color with red hues, and is a bit hazy as a result of big amounts of very small, almost microscopic, floaties. The first pour results in a minimal amount of bubbles on top of the liquid, around the edges of the glass. However, this is no head, not even foam-like. Rather, it's the kind of bubbles you sometimes get from pouring fruit juice or some wines. The second pour creates no bubbles at all. Actually, I didn't get the beer to produce any bubbles, no matter how hard I swirled my glass. However, when it's swirled it clings onto the glass like a cognac or a wine - a great visual quality.

Smell: An intense smell of sweet fruits, raisins, and caramel hits the noose, accompanied by a sharp alcoholic twang. Notes of wood (perhaps oak) are there as well. The smell of this one is really heavy, dense and sweet. It's actually more reminiscent of a strong dessert wine, like sherry or port, than beer.

Taste: More sweetness: Fruits, mostly overripe plums, raisins, molasses and perhaps some brown sugar and honey-like sweetness as well. There's is also a flavor I have a hard time identifying; the best I can do is describing it as a general candy-like flavor. These massive sweet flavors are balanced by some spices, oak and a more nutty earth flavor. The alcohol is rather prominent and provides a pleasant warmth. In the finish there's more sweet fruits and raisins, but also a gentle but distinct bitterness. Hot alcohol finishes things off. All in all, this one is very reminiscent of a sherry or a port, with big and bold strong vinous flavors, but there is still something about it that is characteristically beer-like, and I must say that I have a hard time depicting how great it actually tastes. The sheer uniqueness of it is worth a top grade, but since it's not only interesting and unique, but also tastes incredibly good, I think awarding it with 5 for taste is motivated.

Mouthfeel: It has basically no carbonation, and thus it's really smooth. Medium body, very viscous and slightly chewy.

Drinkability: This one really pushes the boundaries for beer, and for what beer can be, almost transcending them occupying parts of the realm previously solely reserved for strong and sweet fortified wines. And I would say it could go head to head with any high quality dessert wine - and come out on top - when it comes to food pairings most often associated with sherry, port wines or Madeira - or as an aperitif for that matter. It's really that unique and amazing. Everything about it really breathes of luxury and delicacy; from its elegant presentation, and glowing appearance, to its vinous aromas and flavors and its distinct and bold taste character in general. Although, I constantly compare this with wine and use wine as a measure to describe it, I must say it's still a beer with some characteristics you probably wouldn't find in a wine. I would say that this only makes it better, but considering how far away this is from your average ale, or barleywine for that matter, I don't think I can see my self being in the mood for this one that often. I guess it's for that "special occasion" or when you're in the mood for something out of the ordinary.

Lastly, I shared a 500 ml bottle with my girlfriend and both of us actually felt it was a bit too much. So I would recommend having it in small amounts - it's a great sipper.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Trader Pepsican added this to a trade as an extra. Yes, that is as generous as it gets. Got some good news recently that thought this was worthy of breaking out for.

2004 vintage 16.9oz bottled poured into a snifter.
Bottle Graphics: 8/10. Exudes class and heavy.

A: Dark dark red with a film of head, and that is being generous. It has the carbonation of a flat orange juice, ot Fiji water. You couldn't produce a bubble if you tried.

S: Mindblowing sweetness. Caramel and butterscotch are the pervasive aromas. This is in no way the smell of a beer- I am not a wine advocate nor to I pretend to be but from what I have had, this is far closer up that alley.

T: Figs and sweet fruits. The sweetness is unlike any other beer I have tasted and it is over the top without being headache lollipop sweet. Wow, does this think offer a complex portfolio of flavor- the figs and dates come over top of the vanilla and butterscotch that lay the initial foundation.

M: Syrupy viscocity. Intense body with zero, and I mean zero carbonation. The texture is intense and odd because while having a syrupy feel it has the texture of water because of no bubbles here.

D: Very thought provoking. This really stretches the category of beer as it realyl seems to push the envolope of a sweet luxurious wine. Unlike any other barleywine I have had, English or otherwise, and should be in its own category. A sipper for sure and the alcohol is welcome and warming.

Is it worth the price that people say it is on the shelves for? I don't think so but surely and experience that should be tried if you get the opportunity.

A freaking ridiculously generous trader that added this to a box that was sent last year. Now that is karma. Thanks Andy.

4.32/5  rDev 0%

Had at vintage and rare beer tasting at the Funky Buddha Lounge.

2005 vintage

Pours a very dark red with no head or carbonation to speak of.

Smell is very bold. Port wine like without a doubt. Fruit and alcohol punch you in the nose. In a good way.

Taste is again very much like a port wine. Chocolate comes in to finish off what the bold fruit began.

Overall, a very tasty beer. A bit syrupy which leads to the slightly lower drinkability and mouthfeel, but the flavors are great.

4.34/5  rDev +0.5%

Stuck inside from snow today and having to work from home. Decided to open one of my bottles of copper Xyauyu.

Pours with no traceable head and ver still mahagony. Turns to a firey ruby color when held up to light.

Out of sight nose (nothing to do with apperance.) Wonderful honeycomb, date, mission fig, golden raisin, oxidation, sherry grapes, caramel, toffee, earth, alcohol and more.

Absolutely no carbonation which really hurts the mouthfeel and keeps things thin and watery. However the flavors are quite amazing, complex, and brought in as one. Residual sugar is high, big in brown sugar and alcohol off the bat. Raisin, date, fig, caramel, honey suckle, hints of prune, maple syrup and more. Just wish there was a bit of carbonation just to give this some life.

2005 Bottle Vintage; Sampled January 2009
A wine bottle that, unsurprisingly, has no carbonation. As I pour this beer notes of sherry and prunes are noticeable. The beer has not head and has a deep, dark-red / purple-plum color with a touch of brown around the edges. When held up to the light the beer shows a clear, bright ruby hue, but there is a ton of floaties in the beer, despite resting comfortably for at least a month. This has lots of fruity notes that are reminiscent of Brandy (dark grape notes, concentrated berry notes and a jam-like red wine character). There is a nutty note here as well as the soft sherry notes, but I wouldn't say that this is overly oxidized; it is a very impressively smooth oxidation. The alcohol provides some warming to the nose.

The beer is quite sweet. It finishes with a solid fruitiness that reminds me of Port. Flavors of prunes, raisins, dried blackberries, . In the finish there seems to be a touch of herbal hops and a faint bitterness that doesn't really become noticeable in the finish until long after the beer has left my mouth (giving a chance for the sweet fruit notes to die down a bit). Thee is a light nuttiness and a hint of sherry, but this was a bit more prominent in the aroma. A touch of orange zest (more like Grand Marnier) joins the other more dark fruit driven flavors. While the sweetness provides lots of viscousness to this beer, the lack of carbonation tends to keep the body light some how; despite this the beer is most definitely a sipping beer though

This is one of those beers that you would be hard pressed to guess is beer in a blind tasting. This tastes so much like a fortified wine (like Port), and it drinks just like one as well. I really enjoy a good Port from time to time, and I am really digging this right now. This is very interesting, it isn't overly complex though as really the sweet, dark, oxidized fruit flavors tend to dominate. I'll admit this wasn't at all what I was expecting, but this is quite good.

3.54/5  rDev -18.1%

The aroma has syrup, yeast, cork, and malt. The appearance is copper/amber with no head. The flavor is very sweet but not cloying or overpowering. The palate is thick and sticky. The overall quality is very good and it's amazing that it's almost 14% alcohol since I don't feel a burn.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

1pt 9oz bottle in 'eye catching' packaging. Labeled, brewed in 2004.

Poured a deep amber-brown color with a very small sized off white head. Aromas of fruits, cognac, bourbon, wood, and caramel. Tastes of toffee, brandy, vinous, brown sugar sweetness, cherris, plums, raisins, apples and pears. Sweet (I'd lick my lips a minute later and they were still very sweet). Lots of alcohol in the finish; definitely a sipper. Interesting, but I think I overpayed for this one (it cost me $40!).

Notes from 4/27/07

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Thanks to Jason and Julie for breaking out a bottle of this at our post-Brew Grass shin-dig!

A-Lustrous, deep copper-orange with burgundy highlights. No carbonation or lacing. Does however leave faint legs like a wine.

S-Massive, dark fruits, primarily of plum with some red grape and raisin. Sublte notes of other fruits come thru as well with apricot/peach and straw/raspberry present. Quite Port like in it's presentation. A bit of backing breadiness as well. Could be this be the Claxton Fruit Cake of brews?

T-Dark fruits with a bit of alcohol heat and sweetness. Never becomes too sweet or cloying. Malty chewiness in the background and a wafting of nutmeg in the aftertaste. A Port/fruitcake combo!

M-Medium bodied and viscous but not syrupy. Very luscious. A brew to be sipped and enjoyed.

D-Interesting and tasty....the most Port like beer I have ever had. It is big and bold but at the same time soft and mellow. A very interesting, delicious and beer far out of the realm of "normal" beers. Sure this is classified as an English Barleywine....but it is about as close to that as Miller Lite. If anything this is more like a Tawny Port. A beer to be consumed and enjoyed with a small group of your closest beer loving friends.

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%

Thanks to jastack for sending this my way.

2004 copper label.

Pours a deep amber/ ruby brown color, very ruby when held up to the light. Wow, next to no carbonation despite a relatively vigorous pour. Still.

Nose is very nice with deep dark fruit, fig, date, prune, brown sugar, candied plums and caramel. Rum soaked raisin, alcohol. Slight vinous element.

Whoa! The taste totally follows the nose. Rum soaked dark fruit, plum, raisin. Some fig, brown sugar and caramel. Some hazelnut. Alcohol is most certainly there, but im sure this was MUCH hotter when fresh. Very port like. Slight sour grape on the finish, after taste lingers and sugar grips the lips and tongue far after the beer warms your stomach.

Mouthfeel is good here, but there really is next to no carbonation at all. Nice and viscous, perfect thickness IMO. Very slick going down, smooth. I have to knock this back just a touch though, as i would like to feel just a bit more carbonation, however the damn near flat character of this beer seems to work.

Drinkability is quite good, although, this beer is 12%. For the abv, and with this bit of age on it, the drinkability is actually quite good, but again, i really would like just a touch of carbonation in this one.

Overall a very very nice beer, although sort of strange with no suds, very nice. A big strong bold english barleywine. Very sweet, and a wonderful fall/winter fireplace sipper. Any english barleywine fan should try one of these at some point. Is it worth $40??? You be the judge ;) Great beer.

4.64/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm not normally a ticker, but I was lucky enough to get a relatively small sample of this at a recent tasting and, well, I don't know whether I'll see this beer again but in a few years when I've got more money I will definitely want to remember this bad-boy.

The beer pours completely still, heck, it even has a wine cork. Now, this isn't an uncarbonated beer, with some residual CO2, this beer is as flat as wine.

But that actually works in its favor. Another beer geek at the tasting described it as "the best port he ever had", and that was a guy who likes port! And while I see the gloss to a nice tawny port, to me the dominant flavor was maple syrup. Just rich layers of 100% grade A maple syrup, the Canada brown, if you will. That was followed by some dark stone fruits, like prunes and lighter plums, coupled with some cherries and apricots . . . but all of them dried and candied in maple syrup.

What was very remarkable is that there wasn't the slightest hint of alcohol. I would have almost welcomed a bit of alcoholic heat to dry out the ending, but none was to be found -- just a building sweetness.

Wow, an outstanding beer. One that I could see aging and busting out for a very special occasion. This beer will certainly have cross-appeal to wine loves, assuming that they dig the porto end of things. A great experience!

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

500 ml bottle picked up by grub in Buffalo, thanks a ton Russ!

Pours a cloudy orange/red, ruddy looking, no head forms, basically flat, but a neat colour. Smell is wacky, caramel, apples, alcohol, apricots and light fruit, bread, some wood, maple, neat. Taste is sweet, caramel, brown sugar, maple, vanilla, nuts, brandy, apples, fruit, lots of alcohol, solid bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and syrupy, low to no carbonation, flat, but smooth and easy to drink. Very cool beer, blurs the line and I could sip on this all night. Thanks a ton Russ!

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

Viggo and i split on this bottle during a recent beer shopping trip in buffalo. picked this up at premier gourmet.

1pt 9oz corked bottle. 2004 vintage. label says 13%abv.

pours completely still crystal clear reddish brown, showing a nice garnet colour when held to the light.

aroma is great. smells more like a port or mead than beer. loads of fruit. raisin, date, fig, cranberry, cherry, currant. alcohol. bit of red wine. vanilla. caramel. honey. maybe a bit of maple too.

taste is great. much like the aroma, there's a lot of port and mead here. lots of big fruity character. light alcohol. caramel. vanilla. honey. bready malt. very low, almost non-existent bitterness. nice sweetness without seeming syrupy. the alcohol seems to have mellowed nicely too, not showing much.

mouthfeel is good. no carbonation at all. medium body.

drinkability is great. excellent fruity depth. nice balance. hides its alcohol well. much like a mead or port, it's a bit of a sipper, but one you'd be happy to enjoy for an evening. great stuff.

4.52/5  rDev +4.6%

2005

A: snifter. looks like a flat coke. very little carbonation if any. deep mahogany color, reddish hues. some sediment in there. no lacing.

S: huge grape aromas. tons of pinot hints in the nose, as well as a massive green grape and raisin aroma. huge alcohol burn.

T: Wow! nothing like it smells. huge sweet flavors from the malts. some sweet red grape flavors. very complex palate form the barrels. molasses, cherries, figs, light hints of coconut.

M: very sticky. medium to heavy mouthfeel. very intense, almost nectar-like.

D: for 13% this beer is ridiculously smooth. Well worth the try if you want to front some dough.

Xyauyù Etichetta Rame (Copper) from Birrificio Le Baladin