Xyauyù Etichetta Oro (Gold) | Birrificio Le Baladin

Xyauyù Etichetta Oro (Gold)Xyauyù Etichetta Oro (Gold)

Birrificio Le Baladin
Italy
birreria.com

Style: English Barleywine

Added by Sammy on 06-06-2010

4.21/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

My second tasting at Bir & Fud. This time I went for a small 10cl sampling, from the bottle, of Xyauyu 2013.
It poured an opaque and very dark amber, perhaps copper color with hints of ruby red. Oddly enough there was no head.
Putting it up to my nose I could tell it was going to be both strong and sweet. Creamy, toffee, caramel and butterscotch impart their sweetness. Prunes, grape and raisin add fruitiness. There was lots of alcohol in the nose, yet, not in a boozy way, more in a vinous, port wine or sherry like way. Amidst the alcohol I even detected the subtle roastiness of coffee beans.
When I ordered this, the bartender warned me that "it's very strong, more like a grappa or dessert digestif". I assured him I had experience with high ABV...I know barley wines...blah blah blah". Yet, despite his warning I was still surprised at the first tasting that I thought to myself "Is this beer?" It felt more like a sweet liqueur, sherry or port wine. For one, it had absolutely zero/zilch/nulla carbonation! "Is this beer?" I though again. I did taste raisins, prunes, cherries and lots of alcohol but with no warming. Certainly I've tasted these qualities before in beer, but I'm really looking for a tell tale sign. Lo and behold I think I detect a tinge of bitterness in the finish. Is that hops? I hold up the glass to my nose and even smell biscuit malt in the aroma. For sure there must be a malt presence especially because I think I detect a caramel malt sweetness. However, for the most part the alcohol and fruity esters mask the malt profile.
Overall, this is a full bodied brew, lush and decadent. Sweet but somehow not cloying. Highly alcoholic but somewhat not boozy. It is certainly a sipper and just about right for the small doze I was given. Is it beer? I suppose I should say "who cares?" and rate it well because it is after all, under the right circumstances, pretty tasty and full of complexity.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

2009 vintage enjoyed in February 2017. Unbelievably beautiful dessert beer. Similar to Sam Adams Triple Bock.

Flat, sweet, raisiny, nutty... notes of chocolate, port wine, Madeira, sherry.

Super complex and delicious and incredible!

4.04/5  rDev -6.7%

2006 vintage.

02/03/2017

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.31/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours still, clear, reddish copper (SRM 18-20). A viscous film leaves no real legs, yet has staying power on the wall of a Glen Cairn Snifter.

The aroma opens with rich, soft, old leather, followed by fig, raisin, caramelized sugar, and sherry. Light oak and peat smoke are subdued by maple sugar. This beer has tons of character and complex layers. It is a bit mysterious as it develops with warmth.

The flavor, like the nose, is multi-layered. While quite sweet, it is controlled. Peat and figs are augmented by plum pudding and cream sherry. A subtle, lingering finish carries on for a long while. This one deserves to be allowed development with warmth. In a word, it is luscious.

The body is full and almost dense, with a syrupy texture. Alcohol is warm, yet below the listed abv and there is only a hint of carbonation.

Oro is a quintessential sipping beer. I can imagine sipping it on a cold snowy evening by a crackling fire, while surrounded by books and a harp solo. This beer is to be savored three ounces at a time.

2009 Release

4.11/5  rDev -5.1%

2011 vintage.

The pour is golden brown with red accents. Deathly still, nearly flawlessly clean, with legs for day and a lot of density.

On the nose a lot of very clean sugar, caramel, and light fruits.

For better or worst I taste sugar cane much like the smell has a very clean aroma, the taste has that same sugar can level of clean sweetness. Caramel and light fruits come in, but I don't get the more nuanced and unique notes that I expect from a better English Barley Wine.

The alcohol is nearly non existent in the flavor and this stuff goes down far too smooth.

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 vintage.

2 ounce pour from the bottle at Proletariat in NYC.

Looks like sherry in a glass. Deep ruby color that looks thick like syrup. Zero head. 4.25

Sweet pungent figs, dates, plum, caramel and brown sugar. Ridiculously syrupy but enticing. 4.5

This is thick, syrupy almost port or sherry or a sweet cognac. Cherries are heavy too. It's like a bold apertif. 4.5

Smooth but thick and syrupy. A touch of tartness. Drinks like a 35% liqueur but with no heat. 4.5

Simply delicious. Not sure how it could be described otherwise.

2012 vintage.

Sweet. Fruity. Raisin. Cherry.

3.52/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Port wine comes to mind.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

7/13/14 poured from a 2009 bottle into a 4 ounce snifter.

Overall I was extremely unimpressed with this, especially side by side with the copper. The smell was off-putting, the flavor was extremely harsh, oddly bitter, and much less developed than the copper.

I mostly got notes of bitter tea leaves and rubbing alcohol. Perhaps age didn't treat it well, but the copper held up much better and was five years older.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev -10.9%

500 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep amber body. Clear. No bubbles.

Smell - Apples. Brown sugar. Like caramelized apples. Smells very sweet.

Taste - Very sweet. Apples. Dark fruits. Lots of brown sugar. Very sweet. A little bit of oxidation. Sherry-like.

Mouthfeel - Flat. Heavy. Very sweet.

Overall - Memory is, of course, flawed, but I remember the other variants of this being more complex.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%