Wayan | Birrificio Le Baladin

Liked:
3.77/5
Alströms:

2.81/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Suprisingly bland and not really that appealing. It's hard to grasp what they were trying for with this brew - there's just not enough of anything there to impress. Thin mouthfeel. Trying to decide whether or not to finish the bottle. This beer is just too darn 'neutral' to want to drink it again.

2.9/5  rDev -23.1%

Birra Baladin Wayan is next in my gifted mixed 5 [again read my review of Super Bitter for disclosure ‘n stuff] as #4... of course the only logical question before reviewing this beer: is this brew in anyway endorsed by the Wayans brothers? And if so which brother? If it’s Shawn or Marlon, no thanks, but if it’s Damon then I say: Mo’ Money! This Wayan is listed as a Saison, it should be interesting to see where Birra Baladin go with this - Nazionale was different and fantastic and the last one I had: Isaac was classic to the style of Witbier, so they can go either atypical or archetypal these Italian craft brewers (Birra Del Borgo don’t even try to ascribe to a style - unless that style is “freestyle”).

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Cloudy AF with a heap of yeast clumps floating around - this is going to get yeastie (boys!). Colour of the body is an orangey-brown due to all that yeasty goodness. Head is almost non-existent, a thin white ring inside the glass. 6/10.

S: Big juicy ripe pear, musty/almost dirty yeast, apple sauce... yes apple sauce, you think I just make this shit up for fun? [yeah, well, sometimes]. Hard to get past all these esters and yeast characters - it’s a bit of a fruit stew here, not necessarily in a bad way, but it’s not a very clean aroma either. 6/10.

T: Yeah this one sat in the car for too long and refermented - it’s nothing like what anyone else has written about it, all I’m getting is a weird pear and apple pie with an overbearing musty yeast character. Shame, because so far the Birra Baladins have been pretty tasty. That said it’s not all bad - just a bit amiss. Finish is balanced between light medicinal bitterness, sweet pear, earthy/spicy yeast. Aftertaste isn’t great, tastes like I licked the dust off a dusty tome... umm, I’m guessing because I haven’t actually tried that... 6/10.

M: Mid to light bodied, thin with a couple burps here and there from the carbonation. 6/10.

D: Bit of a shame with this one as I love a good Saison. I did keep this in my beer cellar (aka kitchen cupboard) not sure when or how the secondary fermentation took place but it definitely would have transformed the flavour of this beer big time - as I got to the bottom of the glass it started to look like the trub at the bottom of my homebrew bottles... did I drink it? Yeah, yeast is full of nutrients/protein, never fear the yeast (or the reaper for that matter). 5/10.

Food match: I feel like eating blue oysters now for some reason.

2.91/5  rDev -22.8%

(Served in a wide-bottomed flute)

A- This beer has a hazy deep straw yellow body with an off-white creamy head that takes up most of the glass and pushes above the glass. There is a sea of tiny bubbles that racing around the body. This beer leaves thick rings of foam after each sip.

S- There are notes of orange and pale malt hints with a plastic shrink wrap finish.

T- This beer starts with a light musty note and a citrus oil flavor then moves to a plastic flavor in the finish. As my tongue gets used to the plastic taste notes of dry corn and city water come through. There is also a light green herbal note as the beer temp warms.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a slight slippery texture.

D- The off-plastic flavor is the strongest flavor in the beer with most other flavors and aromas being pretty mild. I suspect that the plastic is related to the spices but I can’t figure out what spices would be in there. The beer was not horrible and was bland enough not to really offend and I finish the whole bottle.

3.03/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from a bomber into a Dogfish Head tulip

L: Cloudy medium golden orange pour. Minimal white head. Falls fast... no lacing worth mentioning.

S: Pear and dried fruit... grape must and spice.

T/F: Fruity and somewhat sweet. Spicy yeast character... pear and grape... mild apple. Grass and coriander. Medium in body. Badly undercarbonated. Finish is semi-sweet with a bit of spice.

O: The flavors are mostly there but overly sweet and the mouthfeel is WAY off. Badly undercarbonated for the style and just not a great beer. I've had other Baladin beers that are way better. It's possible I got an off-bottle, but I won't be picking up another to find out.

3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

Golden yellow with smallish off white fizzy head. Head drops quickly leaving little to no lacing. Light fruit sweetness with some mild farmy scents. Some spiciness and light tart scents. Mild sweet fruits with some doughy malts and farmy flavors. Pretty mellow and uneventful flavor. Some citric notes and bitterness. Sweet fruits on the finish. Fairly smooth with good enough carbonation. Easy enough drinking stuff but it was really overall way to mild an aroma and taste. Not bad just very average.

3.19/5  rDev -15.4%

A- one of the prettiest saisons I've ever seen. murky 24 karat gold color, 3 finger head. Fantastic retention, and loads of clumpy lace. A few floaters towards the bottom of the bottle.

S- sweet and perfume like. Nice herbs, perhaps basil, mint and rosemary. Well integrated, but nut backed up by anything else. Where are the hops and spicy yeast? Still pleasant though...

F- Mildly sweet up front, with soft herbal tones finishing the rear. Very mild, you've got to really dig to taste anything other that weak herbs. Could make a great food beer. Really not a whole lot to say.

M- thin and somewhat flat

D- Pretty good, quite quaffable.

Overall, I'm a bit disappointed in this one... Its a decent beer, but I wouldn't call it a saison at all. Not nearly up to par with the other beers from Baladin. At $17.99, I won't be buying this ever again. I honestly don't think I could even recommend this to anyone. Its not bad by any means, its just a bad saison, and a very overpriced one at that.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.29/5  rDev -12.7%

Appears a transparent gold with steady streams of lacing quickly rising to the top of the glass. The smal, white cap of silk never fades. Spotty streaks of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of citrus, lemon, pumello, lime, coriander, and ginger.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with a soapy, citrus, and coriander seed blast of flavor.
Mouthfeel is medium-light, spritzy up front, mildly spiced, with a smooth finish.

3.33/5  rDev -11.7%

3/4 Liter bottle received from LuckySevens82 and BIF33 - Team Spring.

Pours a chill hazed golden colored ale with a good but not outstanding white head.

Smell is faintly sweet but more herbal and spicy. Mainly the scent is herbal hops and flowers and scents. Coriander comes through quite clearly but no other spice really does. Black pepper reaches my nose and is except for the coriander is the main spice scent.

Taste is quite dry and herbal in the first sip. The taste of coriander comes through quite clearly and is a little green and slightly grassy. This is slightly metallic tasting but not enough to make me stop drinking it.

Mouthfeel is good.

Fairly drinkable Saison here but there are better. Easy enough to drink but this is a beer that just doesn't have the complexity that you get from something like a Hennepin.

3.35/5  rDev -11.1%

A – Burnt orange with a very small bright white head. Lacing was present till the last drop.

S – Lots of citrus, lemon, orange, and grapefruit were all present. Very little funk in the nose. Some coriander and possibly nutmeg.

T – Very sweet for a sour beer, had a nice citric acid bite and some green apple tartness too.

M – Medium bodied, a little on the sweeter side but not too much. Carbonation was very active and nice.

O – After reading the description I was a little worried since I really don’t like heavily spiced beers. I think the wild yeast help to mask a lot of the heavy spices which was really nice. I think they added some depth but weren’t over powering like I expected.

3.35/5  rDev -11.1%

A hazy, cloudy dirty orange color to this one. Initially the head was large and impressive, but it sank quickly into wispy remnants. I have an excessive amount of yeast floating around the glass. Did I pour too rough? It certainly didn't seem so.

The aroma reminded my a saison, but with a leathery funkiness mixed in. Usually I am a big fan of earthy funk, but in this case it seemed out of place.

Light on the palate and a bit sourish, and again, not entirely in a good way. The beer ended with some nice spice.

All around I would say this brew is rough around edges. It could use some refinement. I really enjoyed the Nora from Le Baladin so I found this brew disappointing.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Oxidized peach juice, cloudy with no visible carbonation or head.

Smells of coriander, rust, and peaches.

Tastes of herbs, coriander, rust, and lemon.

Medium body, very little carbonation.

Got and drank in Chiang Mai. Its May 13th, 2017. I this one got cooked and leaked in the car under intense heat, resulting in the lack of carbonation. Overall its solid for the style though, but the rust is a flaw.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

I like my Saisons more dry and spicier, though it is a decent beer.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy honey color with a spumy head that quickly drops to a ringlet leaving some lace

Smell: Telltale earthy, yeasty Saison aroma, but lacks depth; some coriander and a piquant, soapy aroma that I often smell in health food stores

Taste: Opens with a lot of cidery apple flavors, tart and sweet, with a vinous character as well; after the swallow, the earthy hops kick in to add some bitterness, but the yeast and spice flavors dominate

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body; modest carbonation

Drinkability: Another older bottle from my cellar clearing of the Baladins; I would like to taste a fresher example as this is past its prime; still, I can't help thinking that this Saison would not compete with the best of Belgium; love the bottles, however, and they remind me of the Italian car I had in college (looked much better than it ran)

Wayan from Birrificio Le Baladin