Super Bitter | Birrificio Le Baladin

birreria.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by liamt07 on 06-09-2013

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.71/5  rDev -10.2%

Next up in the mixed 5 beers given to me by the Australian distro of Birra Baladin for the purposes of me liking/reviewing is: Super Bitter. From what I understand Birra Baladin already had a brew called “Super Baladin”, they then decided it wasn’t bitter enough (or something) and rejigged it to be more bitter and released it as “Super Bitter”... at least without any research or confirmation I am totally assuming that is what happened - Dr. Hops, always reporting the real news! You all should know by now that I am super objective in my reviews and would never ever give any beer a good review based on getting it for free - that is why I was surprised by how good Birra Baladin Nazionale was. Am I expecting this to be as good? Not really... let’s see.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Cloudy and reasonably opaque Russet body with a thin, tightly compacted, 1 centimetre Ecru head that slowly dissolves leaving a ring. For an 8% ABV brew the head is pretty good... very dense too, expecting a creamy mouthfeel. 9/10.

S: Citrus/caramel characters front and centre. The aroma suggests some sort of IPAesque bitter onslaught, however I could be wrong. Further whiffs include: Bready/floral and lemon notes. Not quite as outstanding and peculiar as their Nazionale, my score reflects this. 7/10.

T: Once again Baladin have thrown me a googly (cricket term: Google it) with a brew that is unlike anything convention has taught me to expect. Yes it has that citric/caramel overtone, however there’s something funky in there as well... hard to describe... sour (maybe rotting) fruit, hints of spice too... bready yeast and a slight floral touch. There is a light alcohol note in the background too, nothing to be alarmed about. Finish manages to be dry with a mild bitterness, and aftertaste is fruity. 7/10.

M: Medium bodied with a nice dense carbonation - yes it has the creaminess I was expecting. 8/10.

D: It’s a Belgio-Italio-American car crash of a beer that again sets Birra Baladin apart from the others (yet at the same time drawing parallels with Birra Del Borgo). Did I like it? Not as much as Nazionale, however it does need to be tasted to be believed IMO - it’s an odd journey into a realm I’ve not discovered and for that I appreciate it, however Nazionale is where it is at for me with these peeps. Birra Del Borgo still edge it in the Italian brewer of my heart stakes. 8/10.

Food match: Stew or a nice Ratatouille with braised beef here.

4.71/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From decervecitas. In Teku glass. Playing Magic Duels. Odd. Reminds a resinous fruity dipa in taste and aroma but have an amazing smoothness and alcohol is completely hidden

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.84/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.61/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Yeast-in-suspenion opague. orangy-red color.
Very fruity aroma. Lots of orange. Some yeast notes, some hop notes.
Yeasty orange flavor and a little sweet.
I suppose more bitter and with a dryer sensation than the regular Super Baladin, but doesn't taste particularly bitter, especially when opening up something called Super Bitter.
Good beer.

4.75/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tall apértif glass from a 75 cl bottle purchased at the Pizzicheria la Grotta gourmet market in the Roman amphitheater of Lucca, Italy.

APPEARANCE – Hazy Orange in color w/ a light tan frothy head. Lots of solids suspended in solution w/ lots of carbonation. Looks great!

SMELL – Sweet, slightly spicy aroma that makes me anxious for a taste.

TASTE – Rich, complex flavors that mirror the aromas w/ a candy-like sweetness and aromatic spicy start that finishes with a nice bitter end.

MOUTHFEEL – Wonderful, wrap around your tongue consistency that makes me want another sip!

OVERALL – A fantastic beer that I really, really enjoyed! Wow!!! This will become a new favorite that I hope to find again. Will have to buy more to take home!

3.8/5  rDev -8%

4.5/5  rDev +9%

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

3.81/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Bottle at Mondiale 2013.

Amber in colour with a light white head. Nose has sweet malts, fruity and yeasty character; lightly herbal. Palate matches this, sweeter with some yeast and fruit character. Moderate/high effervescence, some bitterness. Good feel, I'd have another go at this.

Super Bitter from Birrificio Le Baladin