Pine Belt Pale Ale | Southern Star Brewing Company

Pine Belt Pale AlePine Belt Pale Ale

Southern Star Brewing Company
Texas, United States
southernstarbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

A deep copper colored ale with a substantial malt backbone accented with British crystal malts with aggressive hop bitterness and substantial American hop flavor and aroma. The yeast profile is neutral.

Malt: Rahr special pale, Simpsons 30-37, Crisp 45
Hops: Galena, CTZ, Nugget
Yeast: California Ale

Added by BgThang on 04-09-2008

3.61/5  rDev -5.7%

On tap at the Draught House.

A: Pours a hazy amber, darker than I expected. About an inch of tan head that hangs around for a little while. A fair amount of lacing.

S: Kind of weak on the hop aroma. A little bit of a floral aromas, but mostly caramel malts.

T: A little piney bitterness and earthy. Biscuit. Rather unique for an APA.

M: I would say a little thin on the body, carbonation is middle of the pack.

D: It's OK, not something I would seek out again and I would get tired of it pretty quickly so sessioning it isn't going to happen. That said, it's a pretty unique APA.

3.46/5  rDev -9.7%

16 ounce can poured into a pint glass. No abv info or bottling info is given.

A-Pours an opaque amber color with a one finger tan head. The head stays for a decent amount of time and rests at a nice layer. Some decent lace is left on the glass.

S-I found it to be a pretty weak nose. I get a lot of caramel malt and some herbal/grassy hops. As it warms it becomes grassier. It smells like Caldera IPA and Terminal Gravity IPA.

T-The caramel malt and grassy hops dominate the flavor profile 50/50. It leaves my mouth with a decent level of bitterness. As it warms a little bit of grapefruit comes out, but it does not overpower the grassy hops.

M-The body falls on the lower end of the medium spectrum. It is bitter and well carbonated.

D-Not the best APA, but not the worst. I found it to have too much caramel for my taste.

I really liked the bitterness level in this beer. I found it to be more in line with an IPA. I would like to try this fresh from the tap.

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%

poured into this weird shaped pint glass from dfh cause it's my only glass that holds 16oz. nice head with nice lacing,deep hazy amber color.

nose isnt much to write home about,bit of caramel.kinda meh.

taste is earthy/piney hops,slight nuttiness sweet caramel and a bit of bitterness in the finish.medium bodied,good drinkability.

this might be an older can,but it's still a nice canned beer.really drinkable.i feel like they used alot of low alpha hops in this,not as bitter as most apa's.still worth trying.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Got this interesting looking tall boy as an extra from TexasStout. Poured from the can into an oversized DFH snifter.

A: Pours with so much head that I actually had to stop pouring into the oversized snifter, I think the first time in this glass. The head starts at 3 fingers and rises to the top of the glass without even a full pour. At least it let me catch the stupid fruit fly that swam in for a drink. I made him spit the beer he drank out and went in for more.The head slowly fades leaving lots of pock marks. Its a very creamy looking head. But enough about the head, even though I love it. The color is a slightly dark copperish reddish orange brown with some light getting through.

N: I don't really get much on the nose and no hops!?? Some light red malts, a slightly earthy malt aroma, and another weird sweet like aroma I really can't figure out. That strange smell is really going to bother me if I don't figure it out. Actually, I think its almost got a Shiraz/syrah wine aroma. It's also got this weird off aroma that I can only quote one of my whisky guru's as "baby vomit".

T: Finally in for a sip. It starts with a strange piney earthy malt taste, and some weird extra flavors. Its pretty sweet but somewhat juicy. It's slightly bitter and has some different toasty flavors. I'm not sure if I've ever really tasted/smelled many of these in a beer before. This is very unique, both good and bad. Its got a biscuity malt taste as well on the sides. In the center almost seems like a slightly sweet and sour fruit that reminds me of skittles believe it or not. I think Homer was onto something with his SKittlebrau beer.

M: Decent carbonation and slightly spicey surprisingly, pretty thick as well.

F: Finishes a little drier but still slightly sweet. Some of the bitterness starts to come through on the finish with slight pine and more sour citrus. I get a touch of tropical citrus fruits like orange and lemon that seem to be offset with something like mango that lead me back to the skittles. Its also pretty refreshing except a lingering bitterness that starts nice but ends up not as pleasant as it sits on the back of the tongue and almost ages not so gracefully while it sits there.

Final thoughts: A very VERY interesting beer to try. If you haven't tried this before I would highly recommend to do so. Not that its the best pale in the world, but because it has so many unique and interesting tastes and aromas. Its pretty light on the hop taste, but the bitterness and some pine come out on the finish. A nice malty taste as well and pretty refreshing beer. I'm also a fan of the can so you can bring it on fishing trips etc.

2.15/5  rDev -43.9%

Thanks to beerman207 for splitting this one with
me.

Appearance: pours a cloudy, ruddy caramel color and the body is cloudy and has many floaties that look like lint. Not pretty. Comes with a one finger head and fades to a watery skim with sift carbonation.

Smell: mostly malt and smells like nuts and bread. - no hops whatsoever. Letdown. Sweet and caramel-like.

Taste: tastes nutty; bready; no hop presence whatsoever.

Mouthfeel: watery and thin, blech.

Drinkability: oh, you can drink it, but I don't know why you would.

3.72/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Dark brown with about 1 finger of head. Nice lacing left behind

S: Smells of malt and hops. Very inviting

T: I enjoyed the taste but it wasn't anything special - taste was of sweet citrus and malt.

M: Mouthfeel is medium.

D: Drinkability is good. I would definately go for another. It's a great standard beer to have around but nothing that I would pay a lot for.

4.75/5  rDev +24%

I've been loving this beer for about a year, maybe less - I was a little put off of putting down 8 some odd bucks for 4 16oz cans. I resisted the first couple times i saw it - then i had to try it. I'm sorry I waited as long as i did and it more than worth what ever you pay for it - this stuff is greatness. and its from TX!!! I love just about everything about this beer. Just wish it came in a 12 pack!

Tonight i poured into a tall thick glass - cold from the freezer. Head is nice but i fit the whole can into the glass. Nice bubbles below - little swirling groups and other regular little bubbles as well. The color is a very nice amber to deep burnt orange - very hazy and thick. This is almost like a homebrew - theres even some hop bits floating around. I love the smell of this beer - it just flows out of the cup. The malt and hops are very full - they hit you pretty good in the face. Taste is very malty with a good bit of bitterness - hops are right there too to complement the malts. Very full mouthfeel and great lingering aftertaste - makes me want to take another sip. I can easily down one of these in a few moments all the while swirling the glass and enjoying the smell and color of this beer. I like to swirl this one to keep the head up and release the beautiful scent of this beer. Each sniff makes me want another sip - and then its gone.

i really like this brewery and this is one of my favorite beers. I've had this in the middle of winter (or what passes for winter here in TX) and in the hot of summer and it is excellent any time of year. If it was a bit easier to get this would be my go to beer (bye bye Shiner). I hope the Southern Star continues to burn bright and that they keep making great beers.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

16oz can poured in an imperial pint glass. Thanks to theghost3 for this extra!

Pours a cloudy copper color with a huge fluffy head. looks really awesome. On the nose is very malty with... pine notes! Quite pleasant, the pineyness reminds me of Pliny the Elder.

Taste is quite malty with a good amount of maltiness and a toasty finish. Theres almost some coffee notes to it as well. Mouthfeel is a bit sharp but still kinda full. Awesome drinker, if you can get it, buy it!

3.6/5  rDev -6%

It says in the text on the can something about it being a full-flavored amber ale. But, hey, amber, pale. Close enough, right?

Cloudy pale amber. Medium head with the cutest little bubbles that last and last.

Smells faintly of caramel malts and cascade hops (fruity, citrusy). But maybe that's 'cause I was just looking at Ithaca Beer's web site (ha). No, they're there.

On the lighter side for body. Some of that cascade zip, you can taste the caramel/crystal malts... A little bit of bitterness there at the end.

To me it comes across very much like a session ale. The problem with that is the "high" alcohol. But it's a lot like an English bitter with some cascades and a bit more bitterness. And a bit more alcohol.

Interesting.

4.48/5  rDev +17%

There is something very gratifying about drinking beer out of a can. The temptation to crush the can against my head like a frat boy is not one that a sane person gives into more than once. Still, it's in a can!!! *crushes against head* *passes out*

A: What are you talking about? It's in a can! You want me to pour it in a glass? Fine, but only this once! Deep amber/brown. Maybe the head would lace if I didn't overflow the glass. Now I have spilled delicious beer you inconsiderate jerk.

S: Ok, so here is where a can may hurt a beer. In order to get the true aroma, you do have to pour it in a glass. Otherwise, you will smell aluminum mixed with whatever your beer smells like.

This beer smells like no APA that I am used to. Rather, this smells like an IPA. I like that, but I guess style-nazi's may have a bone to pick with that. Let them review it then. Spicy notes are a given and caramel malts are big as well.

T: Pine should be taken literally when deciding whether or not to buy this. I love the flavor. It is very present, but it does not obscure the grapefruit notes or malty yumminess of this brew. Much like the smell, this is a hoppy APA.

M: Medium body with decent carbonation. This has a creamy bitter full finish to it.

D: I am going to fill a shelf on my fridge with this. I want one with me at all times. Holy F&%#ing S#!% that is a good beer.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

A 16 oz can purchased at Anderson's Market in Maumee, OH.

A: The can opened with quite an explosion of foam, like all those times that I shook up cans of Miller for friends. After subsiding, the pale ale revealed itself to be an amber brown colored ale with a semi-transparent body. The large head didn't lace, as the contents of the can filled the entire glass.

S: The pale ale has an aroma befitting an IPA (or even a DIPA). Spicy citrus hops have a peppery smell that is very lively. Caramel malts are sizeable, again pushing the aroma past APA levels.

T: The spicy hop bitterness is the most telling factor in this one, full and coating. A significant caramel malt backbone contributes, in addition to the color, a full presence that supports the hops. The ale seems much stronger than it is.

M: The mouthfeel verges on hot with its hop profile. A bold pale ale.

D: Another good beer from a can. A pounder, this isn't one to take lightly.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured into a pint glass from 16oz can.

The beer poured rather crisply and ended up with a nice one finger head. The head left a small bit of foam over the rest of the body with a touch of lace on the sides of the glass.
The color is a deep amber/orange color, which was a small surprise. The nose was a little bit weaker than what I expected from the beer, with a little bit more than a hint of the hops coming through.
The beer had a citrus/lemon taste upon the first sip, which left only a slight aftertaste. Lace stayed on the sides which is always a nice picture. A little more of the hops comes through the further into the beer you get.
A fairly drinkable beer that is not too heavy, but to me, right about where a good pale ale needs to be.
This is my first beer from Southern Star and it is pretty good. A solid pale ale.

This pale ale poured into my Nonic Pub glass
A - Poured a cloudy amber, orange color, with a 2 finger thick off-white head. looks inviting
S - Slightly weak, but notice some piney hops and a sweet malty background, maybe some citrus notes as well
T - resembles the nose just more pronounced. Get mild citrus hops, some pine and grassy notes, but balanced very well with a sweet malt background.
M - medium carbonation and medium mouthfeel, smooth and not watery, i like this mouthfeel.
D - very drinkable, solid pale ale. This was my first craft beer in a can and thouroughly enjoyed it.

This beer is a regular in my fridge. It's one of my go-to brews while I'm waiting for the home brews to carbonate.

The can says it's a pale ale. I truly don't give a shit what category it's supposed to go in, but this beer has been consistent in its characteristics since day one.

Cloudy amber pour with a small, big bubble head. A little lacing. Seems force carbonated.

Aroma are malt and canned pineapples. More pine than citrus in the hop aromas.

Taste is bitter followed by a not-too-sweet maltiness. Bitterness lingers, and a bit of dry hop spiciness.

Mouth feel is clean and not too heavy.

Yep, one of my faves. Recommended.

4.07/5  rDev +6.3%

I have been on a CAN quest for a while, but I am slowly coming to an end on it simply because there just are not many left for me to try. I was elated to find this during a half-day layover in CHI as I headed west.

I know that packaging has no bearing on the beer or the review, but I fell in love with these guys just from the CAN. First, they had in quotes, "Clarity is overrated." Amen! The term "NE-quality clarity" in my reviews hearkens back to July 2006 when I sat in on Beer School in Lincoln, Nebraska (NE). We were told that because BMC has so instilled in people's minds the importance of clarity, the brewer has to warn the staff of any beer that is being put on that is less than bright, or as he put it "that you can read the Sunday comics through it from across the room", else his customers may think that it is somehow fouled. Aaarrghh! Clarity IS overrated! Next, also on the can, "[n]on-filtered, nerver pasteurized ..." Amen and halejujah, brothers and sisters! Finally, the admonition to "Break the circle, cut the plastic rings" was music to my environmentally-friendly ears. I have been Green well before the term exisited and was at the cusp of the trend in the late-1980's/early-1990's aboard the USS Normandy (CG-60) where I was designated Recycling Petty Officer. The problem with six-pack rings, especially at sea, is that small birds and fish can get them around their necks at a young age, not be able to shake them off, and as they mature and grow, the rings choke them off. It was most impressive to me that a micro-canner would have this on their can.

From the CAN: "This handcrafted American Pale Ale is brewed in small batches using high quality American two row, choice British crystal malts, slect hops and deep-well ground water from the Evangeline Aquifer. Non-filtered, never pasteurized this ale is packaged directly into cans to ensure maximum freshness for your enjoyment. This full-flavored amber ale is sure to satisfy."; "Handcrafted taste in a can"; "'Clarity is overrated.'"; "Break the circle - cut the plastic rings".

And now, a review! My pour once again created a huge, thick, two-plus fingers of head like that of an ice cream float. Could the mountainous altitude have been causing this? It also experienced great retention throughout. The color was a hazy orangish-amber, in line with their philosophy. Call it truth in advertising. The nose was wonderfully piney, underlain with a malty sweetness. My mouth began to water. SNPA may have been the first to make this style, but this was a quality APA in a CAN! Mouthfeel was medium with the malty sweetness more in the forward and the the hops in the background. The finish began malty sweet but then the hops asserted themselves and lingered with a very pleasant dryness. This was another solid CANdidate for an afternoon at the beach. I love "[handcrafted taste in a] CAN"!

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%

16 oz can was poured into a 0.5 liter beer glass, about 3 in of head filled the glass to the rim and persisted for an inordinate amount of time. Smell was sweet. Color was deep orange to bronze. Taste was bitter, a little to harsh for my taste. Mouthfeel was not remarkable. This is a drinkable brew, but was somewhat disappointing as a pale ale.

1.66/5  rDev -56.7%

poured into a scnifter a light brown with a finger or so of off white head. very yeasty, a bunch of floaters, and the color is way darker in some parts than others.

smell is way too yeasty. no hops whatsoever and only a bit of the crystal malts come through.

almost undrinkable. doesnt taste like a pale ale or any other style i can think of.

at least it doesnt leave your mouth feeling funky (which is a huge mystery to me as to why not). just get past the bitter off flavors and youll be set.

got these for 5.41 a four pack of tallboys and im beginning to see why. a good shot at the whole "unfiltered" thing but something just isnt right here.

sad to say i wont be exploring whether or not i got a bad batch. one and done

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a dark orange amber color with a 1.5 finger creamy off-white head that slowly recedes and leaves a medium amount of lacing.

Aroma of piney hops with subtle hints of fruit. Some sweet malt also comes out in the back, balancing out the hoppy aroma quite nicely.

Taste reveals a lot of pine along with some very noticeable notes of pineapple and grapefruit. Similar to the aroma, the malt is also evident in the finish providing some nice balance. Not overly hoppy and a bit different than what you might typically expect from the style but very interesting and pleasing overall.

Medium bodied with light carbonation and a creamy mouthfeel. Overall this is probably the most interesting take I've seen on this style. Readily available to me so I'm sure I'll probably be coming back to this again.

4.11/5  rDev +7.3%

Big thanks to screach for tossing in this extra, always good to see some craft in a can every once and awhile (especially since Maine's only brewery that made a canned product closed down).

Pours out of a 16oz can into my imperial pint glass, color is a orange/golden hue with at least two fingers of head that fades slowly, not much lacing though, fair amount of small floaties, I do like me some unfiltered beer floaties.

Aroma is a bit weak, although I can make out a good balance between the sweet malt and hop character.

Taste is similar to the smell in that there is a good balance between the malt and the hop profile, although the hops do take a slight edge with the bitter aftertaste, nice and creamy, carbonation is mild, but this is a really drinkable pale ale, probably one of the easiest I've had in my opinion.

As the can says, handcrafted taste in a can. I have a feeling, if I lived in Texas, this would be one of my staples.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep pumpkin orange infused with molten bronze. Light showers of yeast indicate a lack of filtering. The cork colored crown, that was at least three fingers after the pour, isn't losing digits very quickly. Small sheets and chunklets of sea foam lace are pleasing to the eye.

The nose is a bit tame for what SSBC says is a beer that has 'aggressive hop bitterness'. To be fair, I haven't tasted it yet. British crystal malt is accompanied by an earthy, spicy hoppiness that is short on citrus fruit. Here's hoping the flavor kicks things into high gear.

Pine Belt Pale Ale is drinkable stuff, but it can't hang with the big dogs of the style. Given the ABV, it should be both maltier and hoppier. 45 IBUs is difficult to figure, though the bitterness is becoming cumulative as I get deeper into the can.

The hop bill is the most interesting thing about this APA. First we have Sorachi Ace, which is a Japanese hop that is a cross between Brewer's Gold and Saaz. It's supposed to taste lemony, but not according to my buds. Next is CTZ, which is an odd way to say Columbus (or Tomahawk, or Zeus; hence the name). Then comes Galena and Palisade, the latter of which is supposed to be Tettnanger-like.

The final result is a less than interesting melange of pine sap, wood and assorted spices, countered by a nutty and steely caramel vibe that is at least as prominent. This ale might be the bee's knees to some of you, but I'm not really feeling it. Pale malted, Cascade hopped APAs may be done to death, but the good ones are pure heaven in a glass.

Keeping ABV in mind (again), the mouthfeel falls a fraction short. It isn't watery, exactly, but more substance and a longer hang-on would be great. The bubbles are soft and gentle, so no complaints there.

Pine Belt Pale Ale was in pretty much every beer store in Ohio. I'm glad that a small craft brewery like Southern Star can get such wide distribution, but I see no reason at all not to continue stocking up on Burning River and Alpha King during my thrice yearly trips east.

A medium to dark amber color, with a cream colored head that is about two inches high, lacing slowly and clinging to the glass. At first sniff pine and a light citrus aroma, that is followed by a cracked grain and bread fragrances. The hearty taste of malt hit's the palate, with flavors of bread and biscuit. Then when it reaches the halfway point, the hops gradually come forward. The hops bring a mild citrus flavor, then increasing to a pine and grassy flavors. A medium feel at the front, but thins out as it reaches the back of the palate. A soft dryness lingers on the backend of each taste. A solid pale ale, it is amazing how much a can does for a beer. The solid taste and aroma make it enjoyable, it being in cans, make this a great choice to take on camping trips.

Got this as a bonus from wolffmam17 in a trade, many thanks for that

Poured from a 16oz can into a nonik pint glass

Pours a bright amber color with a thick foamy head

Fruit comes out in the nose - apple, grapefruit - the floral hops backing there as well.

Malty and a bit sweet. The hops are a strong presence as well. Quite nice and drinkable.

The carbonation is just right, it looks more than it feels - perhaps the can?

A nice American interpretation of an English pale ale, more hops and power - a good beer.

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance: Pours a nice amber with a nice frothy off white head head.

Smell: The hops are noticeable, but not forward. The malts are understated a bit but the carmellyness is there.

Taste: Crisp, clean and smooth is how I would desribe the flavor. The hops finish off nicely. Just south of a light IPA. The balance with the fruity/caramel of the malt is good.

Mouthfeel: A nice medium feel. Perfect for warm summer days.

Drinkability: I'll add Southern Star to my list of good brewers that make a nice canned beer. Wish they distributed up this way.

3.55/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to witbier for picking this one up for me...

Appears a hazy, light orange, tiny amounts of CO2 quickly rising to the top with a small white cap that quickly fizzles away.
Smell is of toasted malt, honey, caramel, herbal, pine, and hops.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with honey, caramel, marris otter malt, and honey.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, sgary, honey laden, with a touch of wheat and barley.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a sixteen ounce can. Nice attractive dark amber color with generous white head. Aroma was very inviting, piney and grainy. Taste was not overly bitter, leaned more towards sweet maltiness, but there was bitterness present. I enjoyed this beer very much.

Pine Belt Pale Ale from Southern Star Brewing Company