Rauchbier | Southern Star Brewing Company

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

3.35/5  rDev -6.7%

Okay imagine yourself at the campground when the campfire smoke wafts towards you. That is first and foremost what I have to say about this beer.

Came in a pint glass with a small head on it. A golden slight hazy yellow color.

Like I said above, the overwhelming nice here is smoke, smoke, and smoke! I liked the nose. You also get a some sweet malt as well.

Okay the taste was not bad. However I gave it an average because it was just a bit too much. I did not finish the beer because it was too much. Nice malt profile, a bit sweet, and smooth.

The mouthfeel was not bad either. A descent drinking beer. Nice level of carbonation.

Again an average for drinkability because the smokiness is just too much for me and I could not even finish a pint.

A nice effort for sure, just not my style.

3.34/5  rDev -7%

Reviewed 10/25/2008 (Tap @ Brewery, Conroe, TX):

Pours a pale yellow, cloudy body, with a creamy white head, lasting, good sized. Ham aroma, some smoke, some malt, sweet. Crisp taste, smokey ham. Creamy mouthfeel, clean aftertaste. A little too much after a while.

4.12/5  rDev +14.8%

16 oz can into a pint glass. Big thanks to armok for this. I guess normally this is only available on draft but a bit was canned and given to select accounts as samples. I'm looking forward to trying this.

Pours a hazy straw colored gold with several fingers of poofy eggshell colored head. Thin creamy layer of retention leaves some spotty lacing behind. The aroma is WOW!, straight up smoked meats, literally smelling like bacon in a frying pan. I like the aggresive smoked smell this is putting off. I'm not picking up much else besides just some residual sweet tones underneath.

The taste switches places, with sweeter malts bringing most of the flavor this time and a pervasive smokey malt feel that winds in and out the sweetness. Pretty low bitterness in this, maybe just a touch in the back. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lower feeling carbonation that still manages to stay crisper in the mouth.

Nice. I'm a fan of smoked malt in my beers and this seemed pretty darned spot on for the Rauchbier style. I wish they would can this on a regular basis, as I would definitely trade for some more.

Thanks goes out to armock for this brew.

"The can says Pine Belt on it but that's not what's inside. What is in the can is the Southern Star Rauchbier. The Rauchbier is keg only so they put some in cans to take to bars as samples. My wife works their so she brought some cans home the other week for me and I put one of those in as an extra." Just so there is no confusion.

Pours a cloudy golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, nice smoky notes, with some spice. The taste is malty, with some nice smokyness to it, slight spice thrown in. Medium body. Drinkable, I like this one, not bad at all.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Had on tap at the Flying Saucer...

this brew pours up a clear golden color with a small white head. the nose is straight smoked pork sausage. the taste is very smokey, smoked meat, subtle sweet malts, faint hops. medium bodied, low carbo, very smoothe. A very sessionable Rauchbier. But that raises the question: Is it possible to buy a sixer of a Rauchbier and sit and enjoy? Can one person really enjoy drinking a light, easy smoked pork-flavored beer as a session? I dunno...

2.25/5  rDev -37.3%

This has to be the most odd beer that I have ever tasted. I passed it around the table just to see what others thought. I got various descriptions. Smoked salmon, bacon, and salami were the words that they used. It smells like smoked meat it tastes like smoked meat. This may be the Rauchbier style. So if you are looking for that in your beer, this is the one. If not, I would look for something else to sip on.

4.41/5  rDev +22.8%

Served on tap at Flying Saucer Houston.

Appearance = my first serving was brought to my table about ten minutes after I ordered it so my had a slight ring of lace with very minimal carbonation. A honeyish golden hue with patches of lace as I drink it down.
The second serving I got right away and it had around an inch of head on it, with nice flowing streams of very small bubbles.

Aroma = Sweet bacon aromas, with hints of grainy malt. Smoke aroma seems really complex it reminds me of ancho and chipotle peppers as well as the bacon.

Flavor = The flavor of the smoke is right up front with out being overwhelming, the sugary malt jumps in to clean things up as soon as the smoke starts to linger. I didnt get any strong hop flavors.

M/D = The mouthfeel is nice and creamy after the carbonation dies off a little, other than the appearance the first one I got was a lot more pleasing and complex. I had three of these in one session along side the bratwurst plate and it was one of the most enjoyable things I have experienced as far as a food and beer pairing.

Very nicely done!!!

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at the Draughthouse. Poured a light pale gold with 1/8 in of head into a pint glass.
Aroma is smoky like smoked ham or other pork.
Taste: smoky bacon. Quite a bit of carbonation. It kind of tickles the tongue.
The smoke flavor fades quickly but I get a burning feeling down my throat related to the smoke malts.
Style is right on compared to Schlenkerla Fastenbier.
Drinkability is not great. Although with most smoke beers, the first one is tough to drink but the 3rd and 4th are easy.

Overall, a very good example of the Rauchbier style. It's good to see a rauchbier available in Texas.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Pours a golden yellow color. A small white head forms and leaves some patchy lace.
S: Roasted malt and smoked meat. Not much to it, but interesting.
T: Lots of roasted and caramel malt. A semi sweet flavor, plenty of smoked flavor to go around.
M/D: A medium body that is over carbonated for my tastes. An easy beer to drink though. Something I could session, even at the almost 7% abv.

I enjoyed this at the brewery for the Oktoberfest party. Not bad at all, but I think I need to be more familiar with the style. I hope to try some more of this in the near future.

4.17/5  rDev +16.2%

On tap at Southern Stars Oktoberfest at the brewery.

A - Poures a golden color with a wite head that leaves lacing

S - Is of strong roasted malt like a BBQ pit

T - The smoke flavor is the star for this beer

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - I've only had a few other rauchbiers before this one and I must say that it fits the style good compared to the others I've had this is a good beer to drink with grilled food worth trying

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last