Buried Hatchet Stout | Southern Star Brewing Company

Southern Star Brewing Company
Texas, United States
southernstarbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Jet-black in color, this monster smells of coffee and chocolate. The taste is much of the same, with hints of creamy toffee and roasted malt. Smooth and delicious, this medium bodied ale is all about the malts, but has enough hop bitterness to be balanced.

Malt: Rahr Special Pale, Crisp Brown Malt, Briess Roast Malt , Rahr White Wheat , Rolled Oats
Hops: Saphir
Yeast: California Ale

Added by armock on 01-03-2009

Ratings: 1,194 |  Reviews: 470

4.92/5  rDev +24.6%

Bought as a 4-pack of 12 ounce cans for $11.00, I figured this brew better be good. Holy Armadillo, beer fans, I wasn't disappointed. This may be the Holy Grail of Beers, Heaven in a can. The smells of coffee and chocolate were divine. Poured into a proper pint glass at the appropriate temperature, the resulting head was substantial and lacing was abundant. Appearance was jet-black in color. Taste was smooth and creamy with delicious hints of creamy toffee and roasted malt. This medium bodied ale was very malty with enough hop bitterness to be balanced. If there ain't no Buried Hatchet Stout in Heaven, I don't want to go! (to paraphrase Randall Williams).

4.9/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is my favorite beer that is available year round. I have only tasted a few beers that are better and one of them is the barrel aged version. This beer makes me smile.

4.88/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.88/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Texas' best beer, have no fear

4.87/5  rDev +23.3%

Was very pleased with this. Kindly included with a recent trade from rwf08.

A: Very dark, no light passing through. Nice thick light brown head to start

S: the smell is very attractive. roasted malts and hints of coffee but not overpowering.

T&M: Exceptional! much like the smell you taste the roastedness and the coffee. slight hint of chocholate

D: very easy to drink. goes down smooth. a fine beer to try for you stout lovers!

Serving Type: Can

4.83/5  rDev +22.3%

On nitro tap at Nobi Public House in Webster, Texas.

I've had the regular version canned and I give that around a 3.75... but this nitro version is out of this world. One of my favorite beers ever.... ever!

Simply smooth, dark and delicious... I can't get enough of it.. well, I can... but I wish I couldn't if that makes sense. Of course it doesn't.

I just love this beer. I'll be on the lookout for it more now.

4.82/5  rDev +22%

Creamy, Coffee, and Chocolate. Almost like a cappuccino. Opaque with a tan head and plenty of lace. Really good chocolate flavor that does not overpower your taste buds. Very minimal alcohol burn from a beer this strong. This is one I can't wait to buy in a can.

4.81/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

Had this at the draught house.
I feel deprived because I have not had this beer since it has been out. I have tried all of southern star's beer pre release except this one. I have missed out.

Appearance - dark, black, tan head.

Smell - alot of smoky chocolate arises from the medium tan head that lingers on.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, choclate, smokey, a tad of subtle hops coming though. This thing is very very easy to quaff down. Be careful they say it's 9% I cannot believe it!

Southern star brewery is quickly making a name for themselves. They have again made a damn fine quality brew that is rumored to be out in cans by this summer. If this is the case then I will have a trusty 4 pk in my fridge all the time. This and (512) pecan porter are my 2 favorite beers that I can get locally. We Texans are very very lucky to have southern star! Maybe they will do a barrel aged or bourbon style of this one. Maybe a coffee version! Awesome DAVE keep cranking out the GREAT BEERS!

4.77/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is very good. It is worth checking out if you have never had it.

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

I picked up a 4-can at a nearby Specs, with some skepticism. I really love the Imperial Stouts, and Old Rasputin and Ten-FIDY really are the benchmarks on my scale...so this little puppy had quite a challenge ahead. Onto review:

A - Dark, really dark, opaque dark. Couldn't get any light through...a really good sign for a stout. Got about 3-fingers width of head with an aggressive pour that subsided quite nicely leaving an impressive lacing...more good signs. So far so good!

S - Coffee and roasted malts..overwhelmingly so. Hints of dark chocolate. Simple and impressive.

T - This was a winner. Taste follows smell - coffee, roasted malts and chocolate. Goes down real easy, leaving a lasting flavor of coffee and toffee. Very drinkable , although I was averaging about one sip a minute.

M - each sip coats the entire palate. Not a chewy kind of beer, but has a nice body and consistent feel to it.

Overall - definitely a very, very good beer. I'm trying to cellar the remaining ones, to see how they age; but I may very well pop one just to get a whiff of it :)

Not exactly a Rasputin/Ten-Fidy imperial style, but more a cappucino stout, and an extremely well-crafted one.

Buried Hatchet Stout from Southern Star Brewing Company