Buried Hatchet Stout | Southern Star Brewing Company

Southern Star Brewing Company
Texas, United States
southernstarbrewing.com

Style: American Imperial Stout

Jet-black in color, this monster smells of coffee and chocolate. The taste is much of the same, with hints of creamy toffee and roasted malt. Smooth and delicious, this medium bodied ale is all about the malts, but has enough hop bitterness to be balanced.

Malt: Rahr Special Pale, Crisp Brown Malt, Briess Roast Malt , Rahr White Wheat , Rolled Oats
Hops: Saphir
Yeast: California Ale

Added by armock on 01-03-2009

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,212 |  Reviews: 477

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

12 fl oz. can, with no apparent canned on date except for a code which I'm not about to bother with. I've been eyeing this brew for about a month now, so I'm pretty excited to finally have it in my clutches. My first beer from Southern Star Brewing Co. and it seems to be their landmark beer based on the number of ratings. My sixth review of a beer coming from a can!

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours near black, very dark ruby color showing through some light so not entirely opaque. I can definitely discern a lot of sediment floating around. Quarter inch of creamy khaki head recedes into nothingness within seconds. Virtually no lacing. Second, more aggressive pour, yields about three fingers of fluffy creamy head with some pretty excellent retention.

S - Bold robust roasted coffee beans. Faint mild hops. Dark milk chocolate.

T - Big strong coffee flavor is absolutely lovely. Tastes just how the ideal stout should. Mild hop presence in the middle fades out quickly and gives way to a malty chocolatey coffee bean finish.

M - Bitter roasted coffee bean aftertaste lingers on the tongue. Feels like I just sucked on a coffee bean. For the most part, it is has a pretty silky smooth clean finish. Creamy texture.

Overall, very nice feel, very nicely bodied and balanced, especially for a 8.25% abv beer like this one. Not a heavy sitting brew, which is very pleasant considering this beer's bold flavor and moderately high abv. Definitely a stout I will go to again, and looking forward to trying more beers from Southern Star Brewing Co.

Southern Star Buried Hatchet Stout ---4/5.

3.56/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured the can into a glass...

Foamy head up to like half an inch that quickly settled down. It's too dark to see though even in front of my mostly bright white monitor (this web page even). The smell is strong but I don't think I really smell any strong particular flavors. It smells the way I think a stout should smell...

It's not particularly bitter and is... nutty... buttery even... Very earthy and rich. When the flavor first hits my tongue I'm not particularly impressed, but as a big gulp washes over my tongue and around my mouth I find the I like it very much.

It's got a somewhat heavy texture, but not nearly as heavy as others. I feel like I should have poured it a little fast and gotten more carbonation into the head and less in the beer.

Overall I think this is perfectly fine porter. Not my favorite, but delicious. I would get this again! I also feel like the can art is very appropriate.

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

3.72/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a deep, dark ruby colour, maybe some silty sediment. Head is cloudy, sunken and whispy. LAce is decent, but doesn't really cling to the glass. Not bad.

Smells very sweet and very toasty. Big, toasted bread aroma, with some pumpernickel, carraway and maybe some burnt toffee at the back adding to the sweetness. Bit plain, just a rich toasty aroma. Quite like it though, it's deceptively simple.

Taste is a bit odd again, has a lighter, quite hoppy mid-palate following toasty sweetness upfront. Almost strips back with some oily hop notes that then gets that toasty note at the back. Hint of banana, caramel & marmalade, with toasty bread, hint of caramel, some vanilla pod and carob as well.

A bit thin on the mouthfeel, but a decent texture that slowly dries out the mouth. Fullish but also fluid, holds back for a while before any real mouth presence shows up.

Interesting drop, not something I will cherish, but happy to have drunk it.

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

3.7/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: pours a root beer brown with a very small head that dissipates instantaneously. Decent red/brown color.
S: Lots of coffee and chocolate notes.
T: Some small coffee notes round into a malty medium with lots of carbonation. Good taste but fades off the tongue quickly.
M: Lots of carbonation and some mild malt.
O: Decent, wouldnt drink all the time but I could see it as a decent stout to close the night with. Lighter than most stouts.

Buried Hatchet Stout from Southern Star Brewing Company