Walloon | Southern Star Brewing Company

Texas, United States
southernstarbrewing.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Availability: Summer

Grisette was a style of beer developed in the 1800s in the Hainaut provence of southern Belgium to slake the thrists of coal and stone miners.

Added by champ103 on 05-16-2011

3.05/5  rDev -16.7%

Can that pours light coloured body, with rapidly dissipitating head. Neutral at best aroma, a tad cheesy and yeasty. Average mouthfeel, some satisfaction in "slaking thirst" but not too drinkable. A tad of yeast, just not interesting.Thanks SliverX.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

3.01/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.72/5  rDev +1.6%

The CANQuest (TM) does not always have to rely on outside sources for new CANned beers. I was in Chicago recently on the back end of my annual trip to Madison, WI for the Great Taste of the Midwest when I came upon this one at Binny's (South Side Loop). Happy, happy, joy, joy!

From the CAN: "Seasonal"; "Break the circle, cut the plastic rings". This last was ironic as the four-pack utilized the new biodegradable snap-on holder.

The Crack revealed yet another brimful CAN and I quickly segued into the Glug so as to minimize messiness. I had a finger of rocky, tawny head that only hung around for a brief moment. Color was a hazy orangish-yellow. Nose had an interesting admixture of yeasty mustiness and a honey-like sweetness. I recognized it almost immediately as I had one CAN develop a puncture in my backpack and I smelled this for about a day until I got home. Mouthfeel was medium with a citrusy tang on the tongue, initially, followed by a taste of coconut. Wild! Finish was semi-dry, due to the yeast, but with a really odd unexpected fruitiness, also. A nice surprise, but one would be plenty for me.

3.41/5  rDev -6.8%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

For whatever reason, "Walloon" always sounded like an insult of sorts to me. Anyway, this stuff pours a lightly hazy brass-gold topped by a finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises light Belgian yeast, very light biscuit, light banana peel, and a light twinge of lemon peel. The taste brings in more of the same, though now the flavors are a touch brighter, and there's a hint of coriander in the air (the air in my mouth, anyway). The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, a solid little farmhouse ale; nothing special by any means, but I could see enjoying this from time to time.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

The beer pours a cloudy orange color with a white head. The aroma is a mix of some farmhouse funk as well as some orange citrus and wheat notes. Very inviting. The flavor is more of the same. I get some hay, grass and grain notes as well as some orange citrus and other tropical fruit notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Very easy to drink and very refreshing.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

3.61/5  rDev -1.4%

Another in a long line of beers provided by the creator of the can quest, woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a dark golden color weith a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some malts. Taste is refreshing, sweet, malty, some floral hops. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall makes for an easy drinking summer beer.

3.44/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

on 10/16/12 originally 2.75

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy golden pour with a minimal white head. Really nice sour smell with just a bit of yeast and clove. Taste is really nice with lots of yeast and spicy upfront. There’s also a good mildly tart lemon presence that lingers through from start to finish. Finish with a slightly tart citrus flavor.

2.98/5  rDev -18.6%

Thanks to woodychandler for this one. There was no info on the can to provide a clue as to what I should expect from this brew. With a name like Walloon however, I suspected something Belgiany.

Poured into 16oz nonic. Poured a lightly cloudy light gold color with 3/4 of an inch of just off-white head that had very good retention and light lacing.

The aroma started out with some yeasty spice (Aha! Belgiany, as suspected) and some nice grains in the background. The aroma reminded mostly of a Wit, I didn't realize that this was Saison until I logged in here to enter my review. The flavor profile was similar, but was more along the lines of a Saison than a Wit. The grains played a minor role to the yeast, but nothing really stood out. While there were no real wrong notes, neither were there any notable features.

The body was thin, even for a style that isn't known for fullness. Drinkability was OK, as I generally find the style to be easily and quickly drinkable. Overall, a rather bland and meh example of the style. Give it try if you see it, or don't.

3.6/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This made it back to Petrol Station after the initial release, and I was glad to try some. I have no idea what style to add this under. I guess Saison makes the most sense.

A: Pours a cloudy orange/yellow color. A one finger white head forms, but recedes to nothing. No lace is left.
S: Spicy, phenolic, banana esters. Light funk character. Simple and a little one dimensional.
T: Again, very one dimensional. Phenolic, banana, spice and a lingering sweetness.
M/D: A light to medium body that is a bit under carbonated. Very dry which I like. I just wish there was a bit more body. Very easy to drink. I can certainly put a few away without a problem.

Very interesting, and enjoyable. Most of the flavor is coming from the yeast, which is nice. I just want a bit more character. Still, I can see myself drinking several more when I get the chance. Cheers to Southern Star for trying something unique.

Walloon from Southern Star Brewing Company