Old Potentate | Southern Star Brewing Company

Style: Old Ale

Added by twiggamortis420 on 01-14-2013

4.5/5  rDev +22%

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The CANQuest (tm) has its CANtributors, its fans, its legions & then there are the CANsuperstars, including tone77 who just dropped off enough CANs to keep me in business for a while and the mighty JenRay, who sent me this one in her last box. If you want to join up, let me get caught up & I will post accordingly, but in the interim, I am awash.

I LOVE Southern Star's seasonal CANs! Emerald green with a yellow sunburst overlain with leaves, snowflakes & flowers serve to indicate that it is, indeed, a seasonal offering.

Once again, the tab fought me on the Crack!, unleashing a spray across my fingers, into my face & up my nose, the latter since I am a dumba**, leaning over the CAN. Yet another brimful CAN, but I decided to take my queue from a recent article & rub the moisture into my beard & my face. Now, I suddenly smell nothing but Old Potentate! It smelt of barleywine! Leather, figs and/or dates, slightly burnt caramel & fusel heat burnt their way into my sinus cavity & settled in for the afternoon. I had a brief finger of foamy, tawny head that quickly dissipated to wisps. Color was Brown to Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27) with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was kind of thin, despite its obvious carbonation. The taste was like licking a hunk of leather or walking into Domaki Leathers & inhaling deeply. Either way, this was leathery! Finish was dry, but not as intense as on the initial taste. This seemed like one to be CANsumed sooner, rather than later. I also wish to add that the CAN was filled with lees! The last pour was cloudy as heck & when I left it inverted, it leaked yeast & sediment. Wow!

4.02/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

lightly chilled 12-oz can into a nonic pint. No visible canning date, but I definitely purchased this back in January.

Look- Deep amber-brown with visible particulate. Four fingers of frothy beige head, settles slowly. Decent webbed lacing.

Smell- Mild, nougaty, caramel. Some darker milk chocolate/cocoa. Overall pretty subtle, but definitely a nice rich malty character throughout.

Taste- Nutty, rich toasty flavor with a hint of oxidation and golden raisin. Mellow milk chocolate and caramel, finishes with a light touch of black tea. Very nice.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, low carbonation. Slick, would be chewy if it was heftier. Dry, fairly clean finish with a bit of stick.

Overall- pretty spot-on for the style. I had two back when I snagged this six months or so ago and remember a sort of fruity-powdery flavor that I wasn't a big fan of. A few months later and it's definitely improved. One of the better old ales I've had, but I probably wouldn't seek it out.

4.01/5  rDev +8.7%

12oz can poured into a Jester King Funk n Sour '13 glass.

A - Pours super muddy with lots of suspended solids in the medium brown colored body. Capped with a short finger of foamy head that has decent staying power that leaves lots of foamy lacing coating the surface of the glass.

S - A bit nutty up front with some notes of dark caramel and maybe even a hint of molasses. Light maltose, a quick whiff of bitter hops, earthy and biscuity malt, barely there milk chocolate and maybe a touch of coffee-ish roastyness.

T - Nutty and earthy up front, roasted malt, hints of coffee, a bit yeasty and some bready malt. Much more roasty than the aroma. Firm hop bitterness. Light caramel and faint chocolate notes. No sign of alcohol at all. Nicely balanced.

M - Medium body with a medium carbonation that is a bit higher than ideal, but still nice. Provides an even tingle in the mouth. Balanced well...definitely malt focused, but hops are potent enough to bring it back into balance.

O - Not what I am used to in an old ale, but I like this...I'd call this a sessionable old ale, which isn't common. Flavors are really well balanced and pleasant all around. I think of old ales being more alcoholic, maybe even boozy, and certainly more of a sipper than this is. This goes down pretty easy - almost brown ale-like in character although a little rougher around the edges...which works well for me.

3.99/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

Apperence: Poured a earthly/dirt brown with a ton of dark amber head. The head was nice, fluffy and acctractive, but once it receded the brown/mud colour of the beer was a little off putting. Only slight lacing.

Smell: Malts and dark chocolate, some hops, maybe honey and flowers.

Taste: Bitter hops up front, then chocolate and malts, lingering sweetness through out. Weird combination but it seems to work out reasonably well.

Mouthfeel: Very nice, good carbonation, a little dryness, goes down very smooth. I could easily drink the entire four pack.

Overall: Not sure if this brew fits in the old ale category. Very drinkable pretty tasty, I could see my self buying another four pack. Not earth shattering but well worth the money.

3.89/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: A murky mahogany pour. Big fluffy, very fluffy tan head. Head fades slowly with top notch retention. Great walls of lacing.

S: Smells very stout-ish. Lots of chocolate. Mild dark fruit and spiciness. Some caramel sweetening it up?

T: Not so much like a stout in the flavor, however. Kind bland up front with some mild caramel and toffee. Toasted malt and nuts. Finish is surprisingly dry. The whole beer is fairly dry if I'm honest.

M: Mellow and medium bodied. Quite dry.

O: Interesting old ale. Kinda tastes more like a dry brown ale than anything. It's not bad but doesn't resemble the old ales that I've had previously. A little too dry, a little too bland but I still enjoyed it enough :)

Old Potentate from Southern Star Brewing Company