Old Potentate | Southern Star Brewing Company

Style: Old Ale

Added by twiggamortis420 on 01-14-2013

4.06/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The CANQuest (tm) has its CANtributors, its fans, its legions & then there are the CANsuperstars, including tone77 who just dropped off enough CANs to keep me in business for a while and the mighty JenRay, who sent me this one in her last box. If you want to join up, let me get caught up & I will post accordingly, but in the interim, I am awash.

I LOVE Southern Star's seasonal CANs! Emerald green with a yellow sunburst overlain with leaves, snowflakes & flowers serve to indicate that it is, indeed, a seasonal offering.

Once again, the tab fought me on the Crack!, unleashing a spray across my fingers, into my face & up my nose, the latter since I am a dumba**, leaning over the CAN. Yet another brimful CAN, but I decided to take my queue from a recent article & rub the moisture into my beard & my face. Now, I suddenly smell nothing but Old Potentate! It smelt of barleywine! Leather, figs and/or dates, slightly burnt caramel & fusel heat burnt their way into my sinus cavity & settled in for the afternoon. I had a brief finger of foamy, tawny head that quickly dissipated to wisps. Color was Brown to Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27) with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was kind of thin, despite its obvious carbonation. The taste was like licking a hunk of leather or walking into Domaki Leathers & inhaling deeply. Either way, this was leathery! Finish was dry, but not as intense as on the initial taste. This seemed like one to be CANsumed sooner, rather than later. I also wish to add that the CAN was filled with lees! The last pour was cloudy as heck & when I left it inverted, it leaked yeast & sediment. Wow!

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.66/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a dark mahogany color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of caramel, malts, dark fruits. Taste is caramel, chocolate, malts, just a touch of alcohol. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

3.67/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.44/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.89/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.72/5  rDev +1.9%

Likely a year old, since it was found in September on the singles shelf.

Dates, plums, and figs open the aroma, with deeply caramelized malt and brown sugar sweetness complementing. Notes of toffee surface. Flavor reveals a toffee base, with raisins and prunes adding complexity. The finish is fairly dry, toasted, and a touch bitter. Lacks a bit in flavor complexity, as the toffee dominates, and the finish is more bitter than I prefer.

3.66/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An interesting beer. Pours a murky caramel color with a low tan head the dissipates within 5 mins. A lot of sediment in the glass. Good lacing and retention. Aroma is earthy, woodsy with damp basement and oxidation. Complex and slightly off-putting because of the oxidation. Taste is fruity with light caramel. Would guess that the hops are "Fuggles and lots of them to give beer such an earthy bitterness. A slightly metallic finish. Mouthfeel is watery and soft. An interesting beer. It seems to be a good representative of the historic British Old Ale.

3.25/5  rDev -11%

4.01/5  rDev +9.9%

12oz can poured into a Jester King Funk n Sour '13 glass.

A - Pours super muddy with lots of suspended solids in the medium brown colored body. Capped with a short finger of foamy head that has decent staying power that leaves lots of foamy lacing coating the surface of the glass.

S - A bit nutty up front with some notes of dark caramel and maybe even a hint of molasses. Light maltose, a quick whiff of bitter hops, earthy and biscuity malt, barely there milk chocolate and maybe a touch of coffee-ish roastyness.

T - Nutty and earthy up front, roasted malt, hints of coffee, a bit yeasty and some bready malt. Much more roasty than the aroma. Firm hop bitterness. Light caramel and faint chocolate notes. No sign of alcohol at all. Nicely balanced.

M - Medium body with a medium carbonation that is a bit higher than ideal, but still nice. Provides an even tingle in the mouth. Balanced well...definitely malt focused, but hops are potent enough to bring it back into balance.

O - Not what I am used to in an old ale, but I like this...I'd call this a sessionable old ale, which isn't common. Flavors are really well balanced and pleasant all around. I think of old ales being more alcoholic, maybe even boozy, and certainly more of a sipper than this is. This goes down pretty easy - almost brown ale-like in character although a little rougher around the edges...which works well for me.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%