Wolnzacher Roggenbier

From:
Wolnzacher Bürgerbraü AG

Germany
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Notes:
Reviews: 61 | Ratings: 62 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by SheepNutz:
3.91/5  rDev -1%

Half liter bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a hazy reddish-orange color with 5 fingers of heaping foam that lasts and lasts and lasts. Constant bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass, even with no nucleation sites. There is a good amount of lacing on the glass. The smell is pretty malty, a little bit of rye, and some banana. Not too strong of a smell. The taste is very malty, just slightly sweet. More fruit like banana and a touch of raisin. Not too much rye flavor really. It's really more mild than I expected. The mouthfeel is pretty strong and heavy. The drinkability is good too. A tasty roggenbier!

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into a weiss glass, expecting a volcano, and was pleasantly surprised to get a good-looking darker hefe-like beer. So I swirled the yeast, poured it in, and immediately thought I had made a big mistake. Huge globs of yeast splashed into the beer, making it look like a mud pie. Well, this should be interesting. Distinguishing aromas of cloves, rye-like spiciness (duh), and citrus (lemony). Like a hefe without the sweeter bubblegum profile. Nice full flavor and body. Mild sweet graininess first, finishes more dry, tart and yeasty. Pleasing Hallertau throughout. I hate to keep comparing it to a "normal" hefe, but this was much more full bodied and interesting.

3.28/5  rDev -17%

Turbid amber hue. Mountainous, dogged off white head yields rough lace. Aroma comprised of floral hops, notes of raw honey, medicinal phenols and spicy rye. Trace banana esters and acid malt tartness. Rather muddled aromawise. In flavor, prevalent is an impression of toasted malt and buttermilk, perhaps due to the acidulated malt used. Meager residual sweetness overshadowed by drying rey derived peppery spice and static tartness. Phenols mellow than in the aroma mostly of an herbal clove nature. Viscous, oily, glucanaceous mouthfeel. Finishes with mellow yeast must and a slightly obtrusive metallic note fading. A bit rough around the edges. Its rich mouthfeel is its best attribute. Tasty, in a rustic way.

Fizzy 2 inch wave of head rises from this copper colored sea of brew after ouring...nose is yeasty..sourish..major chunks of shit came out of bottle in second pour....and the shit cuts right through the head..turning it fizzy and then eliminating it to nothing...the hunks of shit float up and down in the glass for awhile and then dissolve like tablets of alka seltzer...like a chemistry experiment...is this safe to drink?? The third pour muddies this up with more sediment..now its a muddy brown color...mouthfeel is a tick, sticky texture...not as volcanic in the mouth as I expected...no head now at all 10 minutes after the pour....

Flavors are yeasty....not a sour beer, but some sour yeasty notes...up front there's a bit of apple fruitiness...kind of a difficult taste to describe...I've strained to taste the rye but can't detect it...some secondary leafy hop notes and burps...

Really a difficult beer to describe...ver yunique...kind of fun to watch it in the glass...overall not my type though and nothing I would drink again...some might like this more but to me it is average...at best..

3.83/5  rDev -3%

Appearance is a hazy, dull orange amber. There is a good sized cream soda colored head is compacted with bubbles that are uniform in size. The retention is phenomenal. It's not going anywhere. Carbonation is evident and forms at the bottom of the glass and swirls to the top in a Hurricane-like fashion unlike any other I've seen. Aroma is a little bready, spicy and smoky. Taste follows suit and also exhibits some big yeasty characteristics. Not a lot of depth in the flavors, but quite agreeable and unique. Mouthfeel is not as carbonated as it looks. It's actually quite creamy. Body is about medium full. Pretty good one here.

3.87/5  rDev -2%

This beer is extremely carbonated, and pours with a thick fizzy white head. The head fades quickly, although the small bubbles continue to rise through the beer. It is a cloudy red orange with some big yeast flakes. Aroma is full of cherry notes, sourness and a slight hoppiness in the backbone. Taste is bready, acidic, full of cloves and quite yeasty. It jumps of the tongue with a high level of carbonation. The rye gives this beer a sharp bite. Whoa - I just poured the remainder of the bottle into my glass and got a huge dose of yeast. Being a German beer, I assume this is intentional, but this beer has gone from being slightly cloudy to being almost completely opaque. Still tastes good, but maybe a bit too yeasty for my taste. At least I'm getting my B vitamins! A delicious German beer.

Hazy orange color with massive amounts of yeast, has a huge tan head of very large bubbles that quickly disappear, doesn't leave any lacing either. You can really smell the rye along with bananas, spicy bready flavors. Medium body with a very crisp and rough mouthfeel, super carbonation, finishes pretty dry. I have never had anything quite like this before, I will grab another bottle or three.

4.47/5  rDev +13.2%

My first German rye beer,pours a hazy,murky deep copper with a creamy-like white head.Awesome citrusy,sour aromas with an odd creamsicle like undertone odd but quite nice underneath the citrus.Can a beer get more refreshing?Starts out quite tart but not overly so by any means with a hint of pina colada underneath just awesome melding of refreshing flavors.Damn I like this beer and wish I had more I will savor what I have left.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

The "appearance" score is a tough one. I knocked this bottled over before pouring. Nothing careful here. Hence, it looks like sewage. Quite literally. Yellowing tan body that is totally opagued. I mean *thick* looking. Yeast globs are sticking to the sides of the glass. Let me stress "yeasty". And there is just as much movement downward in the glass as there is upwards due to carbonation. Speaking of which, the head dies quickly, but rapid bubbles make the surface constantly ripple. This looks like fucking Metamucil on peyote. For real.
This scores a "4" for looks only due to uniqueness. Could easily be a "1". But, I'm not a dick.

This is good stuff.

Spicy aroma of hallertauer and rye with some wheaty and yeasty (clove) esters backing things up.
This is about as truly "rye" as I've encountered. Bready and spicy. Lightly darkened caramel maltiness (hinting at cocoa, even). But rye dominates. More estery weizen/yeast traits. Clove and pepper and vanilla and banana. This must be entirely yeast-driven, since I don't think any wheat was used. Ends modestly hopped, with drying herbals and grasses.
Moderate bodied, with an underlying hefty cream sensation. Intriguing.
I like this. Quite a bit.

2.14/5  rDev -45.8%

Burgerbrau: Initial pour was a nice amber color, only a bit hazy. I poured about half the bottle, and then moved over for a leisurely review, and appear to have stirred up the sediment from hell. It poured almost white from the bottle, and ended up a strange orange color, not unlike metamucil. Initial head was nice, but when the sediment hit, it was all over, leaving nothing at all. Taste is sour, very citrus, not wholly unpleasant, but, I’ve got to say: what the? Looks like hell, smells like hell, tastes, well, not a whole lot more than a nine iron from hell. If I was not a BA I’d have dumped the whole damn thing from the git go. Bah!

You really need to let this one warm up a little before drinking it as it lets the rye come through in the finish. Otherwise, it comes across strongly as a hefeweizen. The beer was fresh enough that the yeast hadn't completely settled and lumped together so it was a muddy amber brown. There was heavy carbonation that formed a nice stiff head that lasted nicely. There was a bit of bubblegum and clove in the aroma and flavor. In the finish, the rye really comes out and makes a nicely spicy aftertaste. Good beer.

3.86/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance: Clumpy sediment in a cloudy brown body, head fades at a very fast, fizzy rate. Kind of an ugly looking beer.

Smell: Sour malts are noted on the label (I have never heard of sour malts), and this beer smells sour to match, also very grainy and bready. What an odd smelling beer.

Taste: A very odd beer, grainy and extremely bready, it is smooth going down, but also tart and citric. I like it, even if it is one of the ugliest beers around.

Drinkability: Carbonated but not at the same time, very odd. Maybe my first real roggenbier, I would like to try more, very interesting.

3.89/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a hazy deep orange-copper with a monstrous beige head... I must have poured this one too quickly... be aware when you pour this - I had to wait for more than 5 minutes to be able to taste this one. Also, be careful of the large chunks of sediment near the end of the pour. Aroma is a mix of sour apples, musty yeast, and white grapes. Flavor is pretty interesting... some light apple, lemon, and a lot of horseblanket / must flavors with an acidic finish. Somewhat reminiscent of a hefe profile. I didn't really notice much rye in the flavor. Mouthfeel is slick and smooth with moderate carbonation, body is medium. Overall, an interesting beer that I found quite refreshing, but somewhat disappointed by the fact that the rye was hidden.

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

An insanely large topping of white foam sitting on an extremely cloudy pale orange brew. Oranges and tart raspberries in the aroma. The nose is mostly citrus, but it is balanced well with a nice breadiness.

Very crisp and tingly with the mouthfeel of a weisse. The complexity is great starting off with a sour citrus bite. It then gets some sweet maltiness, and then darker breads come in to finish it off, leaving you with a very dry toasty flavor for the aftertaste. This brew is very interesting to me. This may be because it is my first Roggenbier, or maybe it is actually interesting compared to others in its class. I will sure find out sooner or later. It is nice to drink, and the medium body seems to be just right.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

A careful pour delivers a hazy, deep-amber body with golden highlights beneath a good sized head of big-bubbled off-white foam. The head drops shortly but holds a thin surface covering throughout most of the glass; although it rather surprisingly leaves no lace! The nose displays an interestingly tart, yeasty and fruity (lemonish) nose over a delicate caramelish malt with some light spice. In the mouth, it's prickly effervescent carbonation warms across the palate - releases its gases - and becomes quite foamy (but certainly not creamy). And that airy quality disguises it's body which appears to be on the light/medium or medium/light border. It's flavor is much more clear cut, however, and delivers a delicately caramel-laced and gently toasted breadiness that's braised with lemon juice; some mild phenolics and a delightfully light spiciness; backed by a firm, balancing bitterness that leads into a short and dry finish. It's quite interesting; and refreshing as well.

2.84/5  rDev -28.1%

Disturbingly chucky in appearance, I have NEVER seen so much sediment in my glass. I poured this softly and carefully yet this beer looks like muddy lake water. The carbonation was massive, it looked like soda carbonation-wise, and the head reached a finger before fading away, no cap, no collar. Also, there was no subsequent lacing, just some sugary residue. The appearance is not pleasant nor is it intriguing. The nose is yeasty, shocking! Anyway, the yeast aromas remind me of a Hefe Weizen with its soft banana aromas. There are hints of malt too. The spice of the rye is weak and only found at the back. Maybe the German hops are playing with the rye, I can’t really tell. The bouquet doesn’t do much for me. The palate is lackluster. I’ve never had a Roggenbier but I’ve read the reviews at it seems this is what the beer is suppose to look and taste like. Man, that is disappointing. I was expecting more rye characteristics. I love rye in beer and I was expecting this one just to be explosive with rye. It was not. The flavors are really muted and soft, yeasty flavors dominate and a banana taste dominates. There is some stray caramel maltiness. Bready. I am not going to lie; getting yeast chucks stuck in my teeth is not very cool. At the back is some spice from the rye and/or hops and/or alcohol. I like how this beer finishes; maybe I’m just glad there is none left in my mouth. It is somewhat acidic and somewhat sweet. This beer has qualities I like and others I don’t. Maybe Roggenbiers will grow on me; maybe I just need to sample more. Maybe this is as good as it gets. Funky aftertaste. Medium in body, slick and oily, the carbonation is huge for a while but it died hard and left a sad mouthfeel. I don’t find this to be drinkable. I’ll drink as much as I can from the bottle I purchased in Burnsville, MN but I fear a good amount will find the drain. Still, the door is open to explore this style more. They all can’t be winners.

4.92/5  rDev +24.6%

Chiseled, flinty nose reminiscent of gunpowder, and full of that sweetly floral and clean rye huskiness...
cloudy, with all kinds of crud gathered around the inside of the bottle's neck, the angular and brightly sweet hard grain flavor is delivered in a state of utter completeness. I mean it coats the tongue with richness, expanding to fill every available sensor, and, at the same time, it remains improbably bright and simply sweet. That is, sweet until the rocky, mossy earth dust arrives to clean up the finish. The end is long and deliciously...teasingly dry.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

After a nearly 5 minute pour (seemed an eternity), due to overly enthusistic carbonation, the bartender at the wonderful Anam Cara, in Brookline presented my beer in a tall matching mug. Bits of yeast and unfiltered rye goodness continued rising in the still slowly cascading tannish head. The color mutated from an almost clear rusty amber to a completely cloudy and opaque rust. The aroma is very much like rye crackers with just a hint of lemons and whiff of malt. Rye dominates the flavor department. A faint clove and spicy taste mingles and blends with mild lemon and orange zest. The body is a bit grainy and edgy, but not altogether an unpleasurable experience. I hope to find this locally in order to present it at our small tasting group. This is an interesting brew!

4.03/5  rDev +2%

This was a pretty old bottle that had been in the back of my refrigerator.

This beer poured a cloudy to slightly hazy amber color (the thick sediment in the bottle was not poured) with tall, pillowy, off-white (slightly yellow) foam that persisted a long time, and clung to the glass somewhat as it settled. The smell was tart and malty with hints of toasted caramel and coconut. The taste was lightly tart and sour. It was malty with light caramel and a touch of banana and citrus. The mouthfeel was smooth and tangy and dry overall with medium body and moderate carbonation. This was a good rye beer, and survived the long storage in the refrigerator, but perhaps the flavors were a bit muted due to age.

4.59/5  rDev +16.2%

Murky bronze (lots of sediment and floaters) with a full creamy tan head. Pours thick and creamy with high carbonation. Big grainy rye malt aroma and a light Hallertau hoppiness evident. Tastes much like it smeels -- YUMMY! Rye really stands out compared to American versions I've tried... Full bodied, rich, and creamy smooth for a relatively low alcohol brew.

Rye Beers ?!? I like them but not Rye bread... Now I need to find another import to compare to this...

Label states: "Beer Brewed with Rye" and "Rye malt (60%), Pilsner, Dark Munich, Sour malt, Hallertauer aroma hops"

($3.32 / 16.9 oz. tall sleek brown Euro-bottle)

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours to a copper-orange color, the head diminishes to a ring. There sure is a lot of sediment in the bottom of the bottle. The aroma is very fruity with peaches being the dominant fruit. It also has a solid malt backbone. The flavor is malty, rich, fruity...with peaches and apples. It kinda reminds me of fruit cocktail with 7up. It finishes somewhat dry. It is a light-medium bodied brew that is very unique and tasty.

Sampled on 6/12/04

4.03/5  rDev +2%

Whoa!! Pour this one slowly! The head exploded up my glass and almost soiled my new Eagles shirt. Of course that shirt can get soiled as hell for all I care right now. But here is a beer that produces an enormously fluffy head, and a murky diarrhea color with lots of yeasty chunks in it. This looks yummy :) Get your mind of the crap! Good beer here! The aroma smells like musty Granny Smith apples. There's also a touch of citrus kick in there. The mouthfeel is very smooth and weizen-like. It's an easy drinker, one that will probably go down faster that you realize. I pick up some bready and yeasty flavors, but I can't quite pinpoint a distinct Rye flavor. This isn't a big deal to me really. This beer pretty much effing rules. This could be a great session brew that reminds me of temperatures a bit warmer than the 6 degrees it is right now in Chicago. Try this stuff.

3.97/5  rDev +0.5%

My first authentic German Roggenbier. Brewed with 60% Rye Malt, Pilsener, Dark Munich and Sour Malt. Hopped with Hallertauer. 5.5% ABV.

Opening the bottle lets loose a nice "Pssht". Pours out to a slightly hazy dark caramel, forming a tall soapy beige head with good retention and mild lacing. Carbonation is medium-strong. Aroma is noticeable at an arm's length. Very interesting nose here...light smoke (like a cap-gun from a distance), ham gone bad, a light, though wierd sourness that I can't put my finger on, a very crisp water source, and no discernable hop aroma. Mouthfeel is effervescent, yet pillowy soft which accentuates a chewy, medium body. Taste begins with a nice smoky sourness, followed by a soft malt bill in the middle with mild residual sweetness. There is an interesting buttery flavor but unlike any diacetyl I've experienced. No bananas to my palate, contrary to other reviews, but I do get some subtle cloves. Bitterness is very mild, and unfortunately lightly ruddy. The finish is mossy and lightly dry with no off-flavors perceptable. About 2 minutes after I swallow, I notice a soft-serve vanilla ice-cream flavor going on...wierd.

Interesting that I get smoke where others do not. Be careful pouring this one...my 2nd glass came with tons of gelatinous gobs of goo (looks like hamburger drippings...maybe that's where the name comes from?) Still, this is an interesting and unique style of beer that is well-worth trying. Very different from any domestic rye beers I've had. I wish I was back in Austria surrounded by good friends and Weiner-Schnitzel. Tasty stuff.

3.83/5  rDev -3%

Pours a murky amber, with a large light tan head, which mostly diminishes, leaving lots of lace. Aroma is spicy, rye, fruity (peach, lemon) ,very reminiscent of a hefe. Flavor is very hefe like, finishes with the rye, has a slight bubblegum like sweetness near the end of the bottle. Medium-full bodied, big carbonation, dry finish.

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

Murky, copper-colored with an impressive head. Rye is rather similar to wheat in the gluten department, so I'd recommend a wiezen glass for this beer to accomodate the generous head this beer has. Smells earthy and sour, almost like a Flemish brown, but with that staple of German lagers aroma of Hallertau hops. This rye packs a nice malt punch that finishes slightly tart and sour. This is definitely one of the best ryes I've tried. This beer's refreshing, and I think it'd go well with a good ham and swiss sandwich, or maybe some smoked cheeses. Damn, I'm getting hungry just thinking about what kind of food would complement this fine beer. Time to raid the fridge. Cheers!

Wolnzacher Roggenbier from Wolnzacher Bürgerbraü AG