Rebel | Měšťanský pivovar Havlíčkův Brod

good
Read the review
RebelRebel

Měšťanský pivovar Havlíčkův Brod
Czech Republic
hbrebel.cz

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-14-2000

3.47/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light brownish gold in color. Thin bubbly head, good lace. Has a decent nut malt smell.

Solid malty tasting beer. Simply but good. This is one of those beers where nothing really jumps out that makes you say I gotta have that, but it is definitely a solid beer.

No bad after taste, goes down easy. But after you are done, you just want to say, ok, what's next.

3.14/5  rDev -6.8%

Got this one at a beer tasting. No real head on a standard golden looking beer. Nose is fruit, some light spice. Flavor is mediocre, grain and malt. Mouthfeel is medium, standard for the type. Overall, a mediocre beer, not one I'd seek out by any means.

Pours a very dark gold color, perfectly clear, with only a minimal dusting of head. Smells like a typical, but uninspired, pilsner -- a touch of tangy hops, but not enough to make things distinctive, alongside some insipid, sour malt smells. On the palate, good bitterness first off, framed by dry, bready malts at the mid-palate. The finish is nicely dry, but the aftertaste is quite unpleasant -- kind of a vegetal and acrid. Overall, an OK pilsner with some serious flaws, but nothing to shout about and nothing to purchase again.

3.47/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Have seen this beer many times, but never bought it because of the style--not my favorite. Since it's summer and lighter beers are not the worst thing, I decided to give it a try. Not bad.

Appearance is medium yellow. It is totally clear. There is a thin and quickly dissipating white head with little lace.

Smell is fresh and crisp with light malt presence. Not complicated, but simple malt with a bit of sugary sweetness and hop.

Taste is good and fresh. Light malt with a good deal of hop bite. Neither are overwhelming, but decent.

In the mouth, Rebel beer is pretty light but sharp. Medium carbonation.

On the whole, this is a drinkable beer. Not spectacular but refreshing with a nice biting presence. Good for a warm summer day, and possibly quite sessionable due to the lower abv.

3.56/5  rDev +5.6%

I picked up a few bottles of Rebel whilst at Key Food in Brooklyn. I first got them b/c I wanted something drinkable for dinner. I saw them for 1.25 and thought why not. As they were zapped by the cashier I saw that they were in fact only 99 CENTS. I ran back and got a couple more.

Now to the beer. Overall not my favorite Czech Pils, but pretty good and really drinkable. The mouthfeel is near perfect smooth yet a bit bubbly. Also the appearance is great, orangish gold with a nice foamy white head. The aroma was a bit too skunky, but well within the style. Good taste, honeyish, but again to skunky for my tastes.

For the price, it can't be beat. Get Budvar or Krusovice if you are not being cheap though.

3.67/5  rDev +8.9%

A decent bohemian Pilsner.

Looks and tastes remarkably like Pilsner Urquel, not quite as good, but for the money a tasty brew.

Clear golden, well crafted, with plenty of long lasting carbonation. Great ice-cold.

Smells like hops and skunk, the way a pilsner should.

Tastes a little weaker than the more revered czech pilsners, but has it's own unique citrusy bite and enough skunk to taste Czech. Not as sweet as some of the others I've tried, which I like. Clean and Refreshing.

A little thin and weak, but easy to throw down at the end of the night or on a hot summer afternoon, and at 1.29 for a half litter, the price is right.

3.28/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured a clear copper color with a small white head that didn't leave much lacing. Has a sweet malt, bready smell to it, not much in the way of hops. Has a sweet malt flavor, almost caramel, followed by nice hop flavor. The hop is not as pronounced as Amercian pilsners but it adds to the drinkability. Has a light mouthfeel but not watery, no dryness to be detected. Not as zesty as I would have thought but it has a nice subtle hop flavor.

3.23/5  rDev -4.2%

A quite hoppy Pils with little malt balance. The appearanc eis golden with and nice hoppy nose and yes the hops do dominate this brew. As said before quite hoppy so not the best balance for this Pils. Smooth moutheel silky yet cleansing and astringent. The pucker at the end leave the drinkability a little lower than other Pils.

3.38/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a very clear golden straw color with a thin 1/8" of foam after a relatively aggressive pour. The head was gone within a few seconds and there are very few bubbles rising to maintain it. After the head falls, the beer looks pretty lifeless in the glass.

Aroma: I get lots of spicy Czech hops and a little bit of it has turned skunky already. There is also a pretty well defined toasty malt presence going on with this beer. As the beer sits and breathes for a little bit, this skunky thing subsides a bit.

Taste: The flavor is more malt driven than the aroma would have suggested. There is quite a bit of toasty malt in the flavor of this one along with a defined hay-like sweetness there to give the hops a run for their money. You get the flavor of the hops in the beginning, and then you notice the sweetness. Along about the middle of the profile the tides turn again and the hops start to show up again. The finish is slightly balanced toward the hops and they mix with the water to give a dry minerally like chalky impression to linger for a good while after the finish. There is no real alcohol noticeable in this beer at all really.

Opinion: This is an OK beer. It has a bit of a harsh aftertaste for such a light beer. I don't really get any adjuncts here, but I suspect that the water in Pilsen has changed a bit since this style was created. It has a bitter edge like there was Gypsum used in this beer to make up for the Calcium. Bad choice if that was the case. I will drink this whole beer, but I won't be drinking it much more in the future

3.41/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured a medium straw hue with a three finger pillowy head. There was good retention and very good lacing.

The smell had that trademark Euro lager aroma. Otherwise, there was a decent hop presence and light grainny element.

The taste was very well balanced. A nice upfront biscuity flavor which finished with a dry and spicy hop kick. Very similar to your green bottle German Pils beers.

The mouthfeel was clean and actually a tad bit chewy. There was good carbonation as well.

Overall a nice Czech Pils. I have passed this beer by so many times in the supermarket and am glad I finally tried it. A nice refreshing brew.

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

bought a half litre bottle at odies big ten in lansing, michigan. ($1.99)
pours a bright golden with a solid half inch head that quickly falls into a think sheet.
the aroma is light with noble hops and malt.
the flavor is spicy with hops, but not to over powering, malt, minerally.
this has become my summer goto beer. cheap and good.

3.82/5  rDev +13.4%

This .5L brown bottle of Rebel poured a crystal clear deep gold color. A thick white head dissipated slowly, lacing slightly on the glass.

Rebel’s aroma was a little skunky at first, but the skunkiness quickly faded to allow aromas of toasted, bready malt and spicy noble hops to come through. Far in the background Rebel had an almost smoky undertone to its aroma. Pleasant.

This Rebel had a full, round toasty malt flavor and a delicate, yet assertive hop bitterness. Hop flavor was spicy and ever so slightly herbal. Altogether a crisp clean flavor, which finished dry and left a pleasant lingering bitterness.

Rebel has a light to medium body a full mouth coat and moderate to low levels of carbonation and a light carbon dioxide bite.

This is a beer I have been meaning to try for a while… and I’m glad I finally did. I haven’t tried a Czech beer that I haven’t liked yet… but this was one of the best that I’ve tried. Highly recommended… if you don’t mind a little skunk.

3.07/5  rDev -8.9%

Looks like a pilsner. Golden with a decent head, noticeable carbonation.

Overly skunky smell. Grainy with hints of hops, but overall not really impressive.

Taste is average. Clean and crisp, with hops in the background. Nothing special that sets this apart. Still, it's a decent beer that fits in the style. Perhaps it got spoiled coming overseas.

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Light/medium bodied, clear pale gold color with a decent white head that fades to a very light lace.

Aroma is fruity, floral and slightly grassy with a sweet malt background.

The taste starts with a kick of hops bite then mellows a little with lightly sweet bready malt. The finish is slightly dry with a lingering grassy, slightly metallic aftertaste.

Decently drinkable and refreshing.

3.72/5  rDev +10.4%

This is an above average pilsner. For the price you're unlikely to find any better. What else can you say about a pilsner... above average = this one doesn't suck. for the price = bargain beer. Go buy it and see if I'm wrong.

Yeah, this a review from memory, but I used to buy this by the case, so trust me. I really can only tell you that to my taste buds, pilsner taste either bad, good or very good. Most taste bad, they reminde me of lawnmower beer, this one tastes good and occationally I've had an excellent pilsner, but only from tap. From a bottle, pilsner can only be so good and I think Rebel is as close to that limit as I've had.

3.51/5  rDev +4.2%

rather striking label. best before 07 03 06.

extrememly clear, deep golden color. one finger white foamy head forms and subsides to a thin lace. a few tiny bubbles rise to the surface.

a bit of a sweet candy like aroma. not picking up much grassy saaz. a bit faint overall, and the sweetness dies down a bit as it warms. would like a bit more.

good level of bitterness. comes across slightly rough, which i like, but probably should be a bit cleaner. kind of one dimensional. would have scored it higher if i could think of anything else good to say about, only i could pick up anything else from the beer.

nice mouthfeel for a light abv beer (4.4%). very easy to put away, and do wish i had another. i avoided this beer for a while thinking the "rebel" name was just a gimick. hmm, who knew?
though it could use being turned up a notch.

4.02/5  rDev +19.3%

Ah, the Rebel yells..like quality pilsner goodness. I've been drinking this Czech cheapie for years and it never disappoints. You can get it on its home soil in a bottle too but I've never seen it on tap strangely, despite looking in dozens of dive bars throughout the Republic.
A classic golden lager pours into my flute, although the head lasts about thirty seconds. A lot of carbonation bubbles too but don't get worried. Fresh but faint yeasty nose.
The taste is crisp and very bitter. I wish Miller and their ilk would spring for $1.19 on this bad boy and take some notes. This is how pilsners are done. A hoppy bitterness stays with the tastebuds long after the beer is gone. The quality water adds to the surprisingly smooth mouthfeel. If you like Czech pilsner like I do you can drink these all night..mint..

3.98/5  rDev +18.1%

I've had this from time to time over the years, mostly before my Beer Advocacy days. Having tried quite a few different beers since I last had this makes this taste quite different to me than I remember it tasting. I liked it then and I like it now.
Pours a clear, pretty golden color.. .even manages to leave some lacing on the chalice. Smells kinda sweet... white grapejuice comes to mind. Sweet-ish malt smells with a dash of lemon.
Smooth malt taste with a bit of hop spike and hop tart... not as hoppy as I like my pilsners to be but well within style guidelines. Proper carbonation which leads to tasty burps.
The website of the brewery says this is 4.8% alcohol... pairing this with the 99 cents paid for 16.9 ounces leads to a pretty guilt free beer drinking experience.
Very drinkable and highly underrated.

3.7/5  rDev +9.8%

I got this as part of a world of beers 10 pack. I suspected that this would be a typical, run of the mill, slightly skunked Heineclone. I was pleasantly surprised. I usually don't like European pilsners. I suspect that the primary reason for this is because pretty much every sample of this style that I have tried has been at least partially skunked. This is probably because green bottles lend themselves to skunking, and green bottle Euro pilsners don't seem to survive the long trip to the U.S. very well.

This beer was not at all skunked. It poured a golden amber, and it left a thin white head. The taste was clean and pretty dry. I recommend this beer, but it's hard to make sure that it hasn't skunked. If you can find a fresh bottle, then you should give it a try. You'll be pleased.

3.01/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a clear pale amber color with a foamy white head that settles into a thin lace. Nose is stale grains along with some mineral notes. Taste begins with a light caramel maltiness followed by some grassy and herbal hops towards the end leading to a rather crisp finish. A pretty average pilsner that’s certainly enjoyable on a hot summer day, though better choices are not hard to find.

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Golden yellow with a sticky white head. Has good head retention. Smells like spicy saaz hops and grains. Has a meduim-light body with a little bit of carbonation that can be felt on the tounge. Taste clean with a spicy saaz hop up front and a grainy metallic finish. Rebel is true to the style and goes great with any heavy meal.

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

I'm a bit disappointed by the appearance of this beer. It's got a rich golden color, but virtually no head. A scant ring and cloudy only seconds after the pour. I've got a case, so I'll update the review if I get different results in the future.

As for smell, I've got a bit of malt and some spicy hop. The hop stands out.

Served, at cellar temperature, the beer tastes great. It's full bodied and loaded with flavor. Just a bit of carbonation, but plenty of hoppy bitterness to provide some zing.

For mouthfeel, it's a little rougher than some of the other brews from this area but still, a nice mix of soft and clean.

Overall, a fine beer. I've got to take off a few points for the relatively minimal smell, but quite good.

1.57/5  rDev -53.4%

The bottle says that the brewery was founded in 1333, and I think I must have just tried one of their very first beers ever made, from around the same date. Atleast thats the way it tasted... Pure Skunk. The ridiculous amount of skunk flavor was so intense that it overwhelmed every aspect of the beer. I didnt pour it, so I cant say anything about the appearance, but all I could smell was putrid skunk, and all I could taste was bitter skunk. As soon as I took a sip my girlfriend said she could smell my skunk breath from the other side of the house. I'm not sure if this beer was really meant to be this way or if I just ran into an outrageously old bottle. I may try again just to see.

2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

Appearance: A substantial half-inch snow-white head tops a brassy golden colored beer with many streams of fast-rising carbonation. There is an abundance of thick broken lace.

Aroma: A rather skunky euro lager aroma dominates; there are underlying sweet malt notes and a quite restrained floral hop aroma.

Taste: Opens with a mildly sweet, bready malt, and grassy notes, which soon disappears under an onslaught of excessively bitter metallic hops. These linger well past the point of being refreshing, or even welcome. The finish is crisp and a bit dry.

Mouth feel: Smooth and very pleasant, with just a bit of carbonation sting.

Drinkability/notes: The heavy-handed use of hops spoiled my enjoyment of what would have otherwise been a pleasant beer. Czechvar is a much more pleasing example of the style.

3.7/5  rDev +9.8%

There are 3 inches of creamy white, bubbly fluffy head that leave crusty, sticky lacing. The beer is a very clear, rich gold. Big Saaz nose: spicy, almost cinnamon. Very nice. Starts crisp, fresh, fruity with some serious caramel through the faint, tingly middle. Finishes nicely bitter, dry, crackers. Some nice grain. Not bad at all. Some nice caramel and grain with temperature. I like it.

Rebel from Měšťanský pivovar Havlíčkův Brod