Rebel | Měšťanský pivovar Havlíčkův Brod

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-14-2000

View: Beers
firstprev| 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next → last
2.19/5  rDev -35%

Czech pilseners are notoriously difficult (and expensive) to produce. Subtle hops, clean, fresh water, and just the right amount of roasted grains will produce something divine.

Rebel pours a medium amber color slightly darker than what I expect from Czech lagers. A mildly frothy head is supported by a fireworks-show of beautiful bubbles that fill the glass.

The nose is mostly of toasted grains; the aromatic characteristics of the hops are hidden by a somewhat unpleasant tinny scent.

The taste of a good pilsener beer is crisp and balanced; that of a great pilsener beer is harmonious and sings like a carefully tuned piano. Rebel is none of the above. The taste of toasted malt obscures any bitter, fruity, and floral characteristics imparted by the hops. The faint but lingering tinny taste also neutralizes the flavor of the hops, which ought to be on display here.

The beer's initially impressive carbonation went flat. It is difficult to judge a beer's mouthfeel when the taste is so unpleasant, because the former only has value insofar as it complements the latter. Still, I can say that on my first sip there was a champagne-like sharpness on the tongue, which would have nicely complemented any well-executed pilsener. Within a few minutes, though, the beer was below-average.

The fine print on the back of this beer's label identifies it as "The Award Winning, Authentic Czech Beer." Our postmodern world has taught aesthetes to be suspicious of claims of authenticity, for it is no indication of quality or aesthetic value. But I was surprised to read that this beer has won awards. Where? From whom? The bottle doesn't tell us this important bit of information...

2.16/5  rDev -35.9%

A--amber, pale gold.

S--Hints of toast, honey, distinctly sour.

T--Malty, distinct taste of hops, caramel, bitter aftertaste.

M--Round, goes down easily, smooth.

D--probably not, unless I crave a bitter, malty beer. Not what I'd reach for on a night out with friends or while lounging at home.

2.13/5  rDev -36.8%

Pours a transparent straw color with a decent head of white foam. The aroma is very mild, smelling faintly of Saaz hops, vague sweetness, and some light skunk. Taste is almost nonexistent on the front end, consisting of carbonation and an indefinable something that's technically not nothing. Some honey-like sweetness emerges in the finish as you're still racking your brain to determine if you actually tasted anything at all. While the modicum of flavor that exists is not offensive, it's so mild that it's bordering on seltzer water. Even an American light macrobrew has bolder flavor than this. I'm an admitted skeptic of Pilsners to begin with, and this certainly does nothing to champion their cause.

2.09/5  rDev -38%

I had some high expections going in with this beer, but this has seriously let me down. Poured out a light golden color with a decent amount of carbonation. Looked nice actually. Smell wasn't that great. Some hops were detected but that was it. Taste was the same as smell. Some hop bite was noticable along with some metallic flavors which lasted into the aftertaste. I was really expecting more from this beer, perhaps it was a bad bottle, some skunkiness was in the aroma, but this was a let down for sure. Try it at your own risk.

Can't say I enjoyed this one much at all. Maybe it is because I had my first Chimay Bleu to look forward to after this, but I had trouble gleaning anything positive out of this beer. This one was $1.19 as opposed to the Brou Czech which was $.99, but I enjoyed the Brou Czech more. Go figure. Sharp, sour flavor and aroma was weak. I am staying away from this one.

1.97/5  rDev -41.5%

This was my first taste of Czech beer, and if this one is any sign of there quality, I will probably keep my distance. I didn't expect this to blow me away, but I was hoping for a nice pilsner. First of all, I am not sure if I got a bad bottle, but this was VERY flat. There was literally no head what so ever. And it sure isn't hard to produce a head in a pilsner glass. Secondly, it just reminded me of something that you would buy in 30 packs at the grocery store for $8.99. I can't say that it was disgusting at all, but it had absolutely nothing special about it and what it did have in its body was even weak.

1.88/5  rDev -44.2%

Loved the name if the beer. It made me wanna try it which is good for the brewery. But as I sat down to enjoy this brew I realized that I really can't get into pilasters too much. So I sat there trying to toss back a rather large bottle of beer for myself. Clear yellow and grassy and a fluffy head on this one.

1.57/5  rDev -53.4%

The bottle says that the brewery was founded in 1333, and I think I must have just tried one of their very first beers ever made, from around the same date. Atleast thats the way it tasted... Pure Skunk. The ridiculous amount of skunk flavor was so intense that it overwhelmed every aspect of the beer. I didnt pour it, so I cant say anything about the appearance, but all I could smell was putrid skunk, and all I could taste was bitter skunk. As soon as I took a sip my girlfriend said she could smell my skunk breath from the other side of the house. I'm not sure if this beer was really meant to be this way or if I just ran into an outrageously old bottle. I may try again just to see.

1.5/5  rDev -55.5%