Barrio Harvest Porter | Barrio Brewing Company

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

3.86/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A solid pour from the growler into my New Belgium Globe glass produces a two finger thick, lightly browned head that leaves some lacing on the sides of my glass. The beer is a dark, concentrated brown, approaching black color; the beer shows a dark amber tinge to it when held up to the light. The aroma smells strongly of pumpkin pie spices; nutmeg is prominent, there is a touch of cinnamon and maybe some ginger and there ddoes actually seem to be some sweet, earthy, actual pumpkin notes to this beer as well (though I could just be imagining this). Some toasted malt character is noticeable towards the finish as well as some dark, roast grain notes; actually there is quite a large, dark grain character here that reminds me of a rustic, brown bread.

Only lightly sweet tasting up front, the beer also has a fizziness to it from perhaps a touch too much carbonation. Dark grain notes contribute a rustic brown bread note to the middle of this beer and it is backed by a spicy, dry, nutmeg and ginger character. The spice character is noticeable, though not as pronounced as it is in the nose, but not as prominent as I had feared. The spices and the malt combine to suggest notes of molasses and even some toffee like notes. The turpene like notes from nutmeg adds something like the balance of a hop bitterness in the finish, there is almost a phenolic clove character to the finish. I don't get any sense of actual pumpkin in the flavor (so perhaps I was imagining this in the aroma). There is a touch of roast grain astringency and burnt bitterness in the finish from the dark grain used in this Porter. There is a slight tartness to this beer that seems to come from the spices and likely the carbonic acid as well. The texture is light enough to be a quaffable beer, but it has some texture to it that provides a lushness and almost creaminess

I definitely am finding that in general I like the Porter version of these "generic-pumpkin" beers more than the more standard amber version; the spices just seem to work better with the dark malt character that the Porters have. The spices seem to need a level of richness that the dark malt provides in these Porter versions. Definitely enjoyable, a beer I am quite enjoying to be able to pour into my glass a couple times.

Barrio Harvest Porter from Barrio Brewing Company