Love Belgian Beer?

Awaiting 10 Reviews
Hellroaring ESBHellroaring ESB

Lone Peak Brewery
Montana, United States | website

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Our Extra Special Bitter is deep amber in color and has a nice toasty/malty sweetness. Generous quantities of Columbus, Galena, Styrian Goldings and Willamette hops will certainly be a favorite with fans of a slightly more aggressive style.

Added by JohnGalt1 on 07-30-2009

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 4
2.44/5  rDev -18.7%

22oz bottle. "5.75 abv., bottle conditioned. Bottled on 7/22/11".

Hellroaring huh? Hellroaring Basin is one of the better areas of Whitefish Mountain (aka Big Mountain) Resort, #2 to Big Sky as far as MT ski resorts go. Odd coincidence, I guess.

Pours a ruddy brown tint with a soft white head. Nice looking beer.

Aroma shows sweetish toffee, toasted biscuit malt, and a noticeable metallic presence.

Starts well with some bready malt and aggressive earthy hops before a disasterous hit of plastic runs through, killing any enjoyment of the flavor. Finish is an odd combination of asprin-like bitterness and metallic flavor.

Mouthfeel is decent. Medium-bodied and carbonated on the medium to low side, which works fine.

I picked up a bottle of this because I’d had this on tap several times previously and thought it one of Lone Peak’s better beers. Grabbing a refrigerated bottle in Big Sky gave me a sense of false security, I guess. My advice, get a growler if possible. If not, go with a more durable beer like the Hippy Highway Stout. This bottle was poor (to put it mildly).

3.5/5  rDev +16.7%

This is another growler that I picked up in Big Sky and shared with the Boise specialists.

Pour is a little darker than expected amber..

Aroma more than a tad "American" for the style.. slight spicy hops.. with a fair amount of citric hops... nose is very toasty.. seems a little out of whack.. I would expect more yeasty elements and to have the toasty malt elements dialed in a bit.. the American hops seem out of place.

Flavor mirrors the aroma except with a much more pronounced toasty maltiness... descent malt sweetness and still I want a bit of British yeastiness... the "C" hops are still to prevalent and should be dialed back a bunch for the style.. Body and carbonation are pretty good..

I honestly liked this beer... but if the name wasn't there, I would have put this in the "good to great" category for an American Amber.... It really reminds me of Anderson Valley's Boont Amber... I love that beer for it's toasty malt qualities... but in an ESB.... it was waaay too much.

Thanks again goes out to Spencer.. really.. such a cool kat .. I wish the best to you and expect only the best from a rare find brewery... I am digging Lone Peak... and so will you.

Hellroaring ESB from Lone Peak Brewery
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.