Chicken Killer Barley Wine | Santa Fe Brewing Company

Santa Fe Brewing Company
New Mexico, United States
santafebrewing.com

Style: American Barleywine

Chicken Killer Barley Wine is the revolutionary beer that will someday define America's unique Barley Wine style. It is brewed with twice the ingredients of the Santa Fe Brewing Company's other beers, and only half the usual amount of liquid is extracted from these ingredients. This makes one substantial beer. At over ten percent alcohol, Chicken Killer is actually as substantial as wine, but this is not to say that it is difficult to drink. On the contrary; be careful with this one. The flavors of the beer are at first as overwhelming as the intense Santa Fe sun. But in the same way our sun gives us the unrivaled brilliant colors of Santa Fe, the potency of Chicken Killer gives us the remarkable spectrum of flavors that can be found in no other beer, in no other city. If you did not have the opportunity to try last year's vintage, come try this year's!

Added by amicar on 03-07-2006

4.66/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Santa Fe Chicken Killer Barley Wine has a medium-to-thick cream-colored head, a murky, highly bubbly, rust-orange appearance, with low-level lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of sweet & sour sauce, sourness, light fruits, sharp hop resin, and lots of barley malts. Taste is of those same elements, with noticeable bitterness to offset the malt sweetness. Very bready. Mouthfeel is heavy and chewy, and Santa Fe Chicken Killer finishes between wet & dry.

RJT

4.57/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Upon pouring out of the bomber, there was decent 2-3 finger head soon diminished but was left with some continuing lacing. This brew displays a very nice amber glow that is quite hazy but still lets some rays of light through.

Smell: First waft is of caramel with notes of fruit. With this brew being 10% ABV, I expected to pick up on more of a piercing alcohol smell, but not the case here. There are just some slight floral notes, but not very aromatic for a Barley Wine.

Feel: There is a nice medium-full bodied mouthfeel with this one. It is quite effervescent on the tongue. It is a tad on the dry side but still very smooth.

Taste: There is an immediate tartness, but not overly bitter (as in not being overpowered with hop bitterness). The tartness is soon offset by some malt sweetness and not a high level of hoppiness as you would expect kicking in at the end.

Overall: This Barley Wine is very pleasing to the tongue / palette. This is a well rounded Barley Wine that has a near perfect balance of bitterness and malts, but I am left wanting a little more hop flavor. I have not been displeased with a Santa Fe creation yet and I would purchase Chicken Killer again.

4.45/5  rDev +22.3%

Thanks to JVD for sending this along
Bottle over a year old poured into a few snifters produced a tan colored head that settled out to nothing. The color of the brew was a nice caramel or copper depending who you ask.

The aroma was nice and sweet the caramel malts are in the forefront now with some brown sugar thrown in for good measure. The flavor was great nice and sweet a true sipper and a great desert brew. Caramel candy came to mind, with some butterscotch flavor as well every one in a while. The mouthfeel was great as well, nice and syrupy with little carbonation, just the way I like my barleywine's.

I was impressed by the brew. I will assume the age did nothing but help it in my scores as well. There were no hops present in this thing at all and the alcohol was hidden extremely well by the flavors and aromas. I enjoyed every drop of my glass. I even saw a craft beer Noob grab the bottle to wring the last few drops from it. I guess we have a convert

4.43/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.42/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured at 46°F from a 22oz bottle (indecipherable bottle date, but I did have this collared for about five months) into a snifter. Allowed to warm up to 50°F before reviewing. Consumed on 28Jun16.
LOOK: Looks like a Barleywine.
SMELL: Strong aromas of molasses and fig intertwine with mild tree nut, leather, oak, and sweet orange marmalade. Subtle apricot and sweet peach aromas along with hints of bitter hops add an additional whisper of bittersweetness. 4.25
TASTE: The taste profile opens up sweet and strong with molasses and fig. Large waves of sweet orange marmalade immediately trail and amplify the sweetness. The sweetness is met and balanced by mild flavors of leather and oak as the orange marmalade flavors grows slightly stronger and develop a subtle and pleasing tartness. More profile balance is established as mild tree nut flavors come in mid-palate. Like in the aroma, subtle flavors of sweet peaches and apricots along with hints of bitter hops add the right amount of bittersweetness as all prior flavors persist.
FEEL: Feels like a Barleywine with a dryness that isn't too bad compared to others of its style.
NOTE: This was an outstanding American Barleywine. What took me a while to notice was the fact that I could not smell nor taste any of the alcohol. I've never had a brew that completely masked 10% ABV. Unique to this specific beer, was the tart and tangy orange marmalade flavors that bombarded my taste buds. This is another aspect that I have not experienced in this style. I see that this has been deemed as mediocre by others, but perhaps cellaring it for a few months might develop the the balancing sweet profile that I loved and experienced.

4.32/5  rDev +18.7%

4.31/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +18.1%

Pours a cloudyt reddish, orangish, brown with a nice thick and sticky head. Smells wonderfully sweet with a little hop citrus.
Taste is massive fruit, plums, raisins, dates, figs, citrus hops. Very nice carbonation and mouthfeel, slick and very creamy. I really like this one, just wish I could get more.

4.28/5  rDev +17.6%

This is my third bottle of this beer but my first barley wine and I'm curious if they are all this easy to drink. It pours a hazy amber or burnt orange color with a one finger off white, creamy head. Smell is sweet, barley and a hint of alcohol. Taste to me, is a "brown" on steroids or an American Strong with more alcohol. I think it is well rounded though. Just remarkable in the mouth. It is sooo hard to believe this is 10% abv. Drink ability...now here is where we need to talk....I have tried many10+abv's in my time, ie. Double Bastard, 120 minute ipa, and quite a few Russian Imperial Stouts, but none of these were as easy to drink as this. It is scary to me that this beer is so good and so easy to drink. If I could afford it I would make this my session beer and pass out enjoying it every night!!! Thanks to Rim Liquor for finding this for me!

4.27/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Type: 22-oz. bottle
Glass: Karl Strauss 26th anniversary tulip glass
From: Trader Joe’s in (Uptown) Albuquerque, N.M.
Price: $4.99
Purchased: May 7, 2016
Consumed: May 20, 2016
Misc.: No BOD on the bottle

Didn’t really know anything about this when I picked it up on a work trip to Albuquerque, but saw it was a boozy beer and $4.99. Count me in. Not expecting much, even with me not really liking too many American Barleywines.

Poured an auburn, caramel, clear color with 2-to-3 fingers of khaki-white, frothy head. Lots of streaming bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. Excellent, layered, foamy lacing. Excellent retention. (Sight - 4.50)

Smelled a nice whiff of hops and malts, getting toffee, caramel, brown sugar, sticky maple syrup, citrus zest (Citra hops?), floral perfume, nectarine, light molasses and toasted grain. Liking it, not smelling too boozy, especially 10 percent. (Smell - 4.25)

Taste was more maltier than I would have expected, then getting that booze. Tasting sugary caramel, brown sugar, toffee, molasses, boozy maple syrup, dates, raisins, woody malts, bitter pine and some dark fruits. (Taste - 4.25)

Medium body. Sticky texture. Average carbonation. Long, warming, slightly bitter finish. (Feel - 4.25)

This was a really good American Barleywine. Very surprised. Would recommend it for sure, especially for the $4.99 price point. (Overall - 4.25)

4.27 | 95 | A