State Pen Porter | Santa Fe Brewing Company

Santa Fe Brewing Company
New Mexico, United States
santafebrewing.com

Style: American Porter

A trademark beer of the Santa Fe Brewing Company’s master brewer, Ty Levis, the State Pen Porter has every reason to be one of his favorites. It is flavorful, swimming with notes of nuts and chocolate; it is drinkable, so drinkable that it is almost as if pint after pint were drinking itself.

Added by UberWasser on 04-14-2007

Justify? Try it and find out....

4.84/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My new go-to Porter now that I live in OK and can't get my east coast faves anymore (I'm looking at you Highland). Great balanced taste, super drinkable without being boring. Well done, Santa Fe!

4.82/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.62/5  rDev +20.9%

Exceptionaly good. One of the best porters i have ever had. Cola colored with a tan head. Toasty malt aromA. Flavor is majestic. Toasty, dark chocolate. Rich smooth texture with a nice bitter backbone.

Rich rich rich. Velvey goodness. Exquisitely good. A work of art. Rapturoulsy good.

4.56/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

State Pen Porter pours a black color, with a small lacing head. There is a strong fresh coffee bean smell, with hints of chocolate. The taste has a strong coffee taste, very fresh, and has a nice bitterness, on a smokey malty backbone. Very easy to drink, has a nice full coffee taste. Overall I find this a very full and flavorful porter, a must try.

4.46/5  rDev +16.8%

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

appearance - poured into a 16oz mug coming out black with a cream colored head leaving a beige ring on the glass

smell - everything you would expect from a good porter. nutty, coffee, chocolately, with a little dash of the smokey smell.

taste - chocolate malt taste with some coffee hints and smoked nut flavors

mouthfeel - thick and creamy but refreshing. left my mouth feeling of a morish taste. meaning i need more of this stuff!

overall - a very good example of a porter. glad i found this one and will buy it again.

4.4/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Looks like soda pop. Dark deep red when light is shone through. Has a two-three finger head that quickly diminishes to a thin ring.

Smells of honey, earth, and espresso.

Tastes of semi-sweet chocolate and coffee (maybe toffee, even). Something a little woody or oaky in there too. Mild hop flavor comes through at the end. Aftertaste of hops and dark roasted malts go away with seconds.

Feels like. Thick, and full-bodied.

Nothing revolutionary or out of the ordinary for a porter, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I wouldn't hesitate to serve this at a party where porters were desired. I think this is a good benchmark porter by which to judge other porters. It has all the flavors and complexities that one would expect from a porter, and it does this well, but it does this without pushing the envelope or making experimentations. In this, it meets expectations without deviating from them.

4.39/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

While I wait for the water on my stove to boil...why not review a beer? Got this one while I was in Arizona two weeks ago. On to the beer:

The head forms low and slightly tanned on top this ebony liquid. Major coffee aroma upon first sniff. It mellows out...molasses and powdered chocolate tend to dominate the nose here, with a pinch of chocolate liquer. Rich and sweet upon my first impression. Mellow, yet there's some roastiness to it. It's medium bodied, with a mild carbonation. Flavors...cold coffee, chocolate syrup, low amount of roastiness on the palate. A faint kick of booze can be felt warming me on the inside. It becomes more chocolatey in both aroma and flavor as it warms.

I think this is my first beer from New Mexico, and I'm impressed. Just a well-balanced, enjoyable brew I could drink for awhile.

4.35/5  rDev +13.9%

Received from Glenvargas (RB) in a trade.

Poured a 12oz bottle into a Smokestack goblet. Poured the darkest I've ever seen for a porter. While it is inky black, it has dark ruby notes when held up to the light. Aroma is roasty with hints of chocolate and what I think is mint. Taste is rich; chocolate and roasted malts with hints of cream. Mouthfeel is full. I would say this is more like a stout than a porter which is probably why I think it is one of the best porters I've ever drank.

4.34/5  rDev +13.6%

This is another of my local, in-person trader, tone77's cache of bottles. I am not a frequent purchaser of bottles, but he knows to keep me focused, otherwise it would be all CANs, all the time. He also brings me widely varied styles, which is also good for this self-avowed hophead. Another life-long passion of mine is reading mystery, crime and detective novels and stories and I am immersed in the Akashic Books Noir series, so this fits right in.

The beer fit right into my glass, producing a pseudo-cascade that was eminently visible as it settled. I initially had two fingers of dense, light-tan head with good retention that began to produce some nice lacing as it slowly fell. Color was a deep, dark-brown with garnet highlights (SRM = > 34, < 44) and NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of dark chocolate, light smoke, roasted nuts, and pine hops. For some reason, I tend to favor porters over stouts when I am faced with that type of choice, and this would be a good example. I just like the complexity of flavors in porters and now my mouth was beginning to water. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but close. The taste was nutty and chocolaty, kind of like a Reese's peanut butter cup, or chocolate peanut butter ice cream. Wow! Definitely not something that I would have picked up on my own, but a pleasant surprise all the same. Finish was rather sweet and I would probably recommend it more as a dessert beer than as a staple. Still, a very nice example of a Porter.

4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a rich dark choclate color. Medium amount of a light brown head.

S - Some chocolate and sweet molasses.

T - Just a touch of hops initially. Then a bit of sweetness. It finishes with a hearty maltyness of barley.

M - Smooth feeling as it rolls over the tongue. A good amount of carbonation, definitely not lacking.

D - A very solid porter. Easy to have several of these. I will be drinking this again.

4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a very attractive dark brown color with a nice off-white head that hung around a while. The aroma was roasty with some dark fruit undertones. Roasted malts and coffee come through on the palate. Mouthfeel was nice and it left nice lacing around the glass. I really enjoyed this beer.

4.32/5  rDev +13.1%

12oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a deep cola, almost black, with a nice light tan head that fades to a ring and leaves a tiny bit of lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is full of roasty coffee and cocoa smells. Very nice aromas come from the glass everytime I put my nose up to it.

T: The taste is full on roasted coffee with chocolate and a bit of vanilla on the finish. This is up there with some of the better porters I've ever tasted.

M: The feel is medium bodied and creamy. The carbonation leaves bigger bubbles in the mouth...if this has smaller bubbles it would have scored a bit higher.

D: Very tasty and I was surprised I liked it so much. Great porter that I would buy all the time if it was available.

4.32/5  rDev +13.1%

Kevin hooked me up with this beer recently, much to my surprise. It's a new brewery and a new beer and I'm looking forward to it! Thanks again, Kevin.

Pouring into a New Glarus pint glass. Dark mahogany with great clarity and a thin, well-retained medium tan head.

Roasted coffee beans, bittersweet chocolate. Slightly earthy.

Slightly sweetened hot cocoa up front with a brewed coffee following behind. Light toffee noted. Heavily toasted malts. Earthy hop, medium level of bitterness. Medium finish leaves a lingering chocolate on the palette.

Medium bodied, moderate level of carbonation.

Overall this is a great introduction for me to this brewery! Solid malt foundation includes cocoa/coffee with a hint of dark fruit. Enough hop flavor and bitterness to keep a pleasant level of drinkability. Well done!

4.31/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

L. Black with a thick tan head
S. Toasted malts followed by a faint floral sweetness
T. MMM-mmmh Toasty malts and nuts fading into a strong mocha coffee flavor
F. Light carbonation flowing into a very smooth mouthfeel with no stickyness

A very good beer, I would buy a keg of this stuff and have a mug or two every night. Definately worth a try.

4.27/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.26/5  rDev +11.5%

12oz bottle poured into a wine glass. No date.

Appearance - Black body. Pours two finger light brown webby head with decent lacing and moderate retention.

Smell - Very peppery. Roasted coffee. Oaky. Some alcohol and very slight dark fruit.

Taste - Dark fruit turns into peppery cardboard, then finishes metallic with a dark fruit and coffee aftertaste. Mostly dry but with some noticeable malt here and there.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied. Creamy and only slightly solvent.

Overall Drinkability - Could use a little more malt balance. Otherwise a decent to good beer.

State Pen Porter from Santa Fe Brewing Company