Happy Camper IPA | Santa Fe Brewing Company

Santa Fe Brewing Company
New Mexico, United States
santafebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

A classic beer for those beer lovers who love their hops, Happy Camper IPA will take the Pepsi Challenge (or IPA challenge, as we say in New Mexico) against any other pretenders to the throne. Was it divine providence that made this beer the king of the IPA world? Was it a tireless pursuit of glory? No, this IPA has a top-secret recipe to thank for its success, and this meticulously formulated combination of several different hops combined with a very specific brewing process give Happy Camper IPA a spicy, citric, and floral infusion of hop character, which is masterfully counterbalanced with the full-bodied maltiness characteristic of the Santa Fe Brewing Company’s distinctive beers.

Added by indiapaleale on 08-18-2010

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

The best American IPA out there in my very humble opinion. Very piney and all-around great.

Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...Great Beer...did i mention great beer?

4.86/5  rDev +28.2%

This is in my top 3 favorite IPA's. Not being big on IPA's, it's a little further on the bitter side for my taste but everything else makes up for it. The simple graphic design is what originally drew me in having never heard of it and the description on the can solidified that I wasn't leaving without it. Definitely worth trying! It's been in my selection ever since.

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a great beer/ipa. If you like this, try the modus hoperandi or the upslope ipa. The best of the Rockies. Can't wait to visit the sante fe brewery. Must try their other products. It,s all about the hops. Always is, always will be. Wish I could find 12 packs.

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

Happy Camper is a solid IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.71/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Darker amber in appearance. This IPA has a brilliant copper hue that pleases my eye- love at first sight.

S: I had a great intro with the appearance, high expectations for the scent. The IPA's aroma meets my pre-aromatic expectations and then exceeds them. Just like the can says, "Happy Camper." I feel as if I'm fireside at our campsite, first night of the trip. The crisp, refreshing air is hitting me like a ton of bricks, the scent of pine trees have me at a loss for a single care in the world. It's bliss. Fermented ballet of hops and pine. Not overly hopped like some overrated IPAs currently swooping the market. Goldilocks, just right.

T: (See above) but transposed from the sense of smell to the sense of taste. Damn how I wish summer was upon us, this ale has me looking forward to those summer camping trips. THe name is straight to the point. I'm a happy camper. THe brew tastes like pine needles, the wilderness, great company and great beer.

M: For this caliber of an India pale ale, Happy Camper IPA is lax on bitter afternotes and has a higher degree of drinkability. Definitely one of those beers that is stronger than the next can but feels smooth enough that you'll be throwing a few back w/o much hassle.

O: If you every get a chance to try this one, please do so- especially if you're an IPA enthusiast. Too bad this brewery is a twenty-four hour drive from my house. I hope they ship...

4.62/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Medium head falls pretty quick leaving a nice lacing with a small biscuity head in the middle of the glass, above a clear golden bronze colored IPA

Heavy hops smell accented with pine and citrus, with a light sweetness coming through.

Citrus and pine hops heavy taste, this is why I drink IPAs, heavy rich hops taste, with just a slight bit of a sweet malt following the initial hoppiness.

A medium bodied beer with a dry slightly bitter hop aftertaste.

A damn good IPA, I think I'll have a couple more of these, later.

4.55/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is a GREAT IPA and could tell that from the first sip. Pours a nice light amber color typical of an IPA. Nice hop aroma, not overpowering on aroma. This is a very nice balanced IPA, still some nice malt flavors coming in under the bitterness from the hops. Nothing wrong at all with the mouthfeel. Def give this IPA a try if you like American IPA's like Sierra Nevada Torpedo.

edit: I'm adding that the can I have tastes VERY fresh, which is great for an IPA as they will lose hop flavor and aroma over time.

4.54/5  rDev +19.8%

Excellent IPA, one of the better craft IPAs I have had. Clear amber/tan color, smells moderately hoppy and piney, good semi-sweet malty finish. For a 6.6% ABV I can easily see this as a session beer.

Happy Camper IPA from Santa Fe Brewing Company