Happy Camper IPA | Santa Fe Brewing Company

Santa Fe Brewing Company
New Mexico, United States
santafebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

A classic beer for those beer lovers who love their hops, Happy Camper IPA will take the Pepsi Challenge (or IPA challenge, as we say in New Mexico) against any other pretenders to the throne. Was it divine providence that made this beer the king of the IPA world? Was it a tireless pursuit of glory? No, this IPA has a top-secret recipe to thank for its success, and this meticulously formulated combination of several different hops combined with a very specific brewing process give Happy Camper IPA a spicy, citric, and floral infusion of hop character, which is masterfully counterbalanced with the full-bodied maltiness characteristic of the Santa Fe Brewing Company’s distinctive beers.

Added by indiapaleale on 08-18-2010

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.32/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev +7.1%

3.94/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.23/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

3.49/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

Happy Camper is a solid IPA.

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A- pours an orange, honey color with a thick, foamy, finger-width head. Good lacing down side of glass.
S- hop battle between piney and citrus.
T- white grape, grassy, spruce needles, grapefruit. Nice-tasting IPA. Good bitterness balancing the other flavors.
M- medium, sticky feel.
O- pleasant surprise on this one. Very nice IPA.

4.86/5  rDev +28.2%

This is in my top 3 favorite IPA's. Not being big on IPA's, it's a little further on the bitter side for my taste but everything else makes up for it. The simple graphic design is what originally drew me in having never heard of it and the description on the can solidified that I wasn't leaving without it. Definitely worth trying! It's been in my selection ever since.

4.04/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.66/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.71/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Darker amber in appearance. This IPA has a brilliant copper hue that pleases my eye- love at first sight.

S: I had a great intro with the appearance, high expectations for the scent. The IPA's aroma meets my pre-aromatic expectations and then exceeds them. Just like the can says, "Happy Camper." I feel as if I'm fireside at our campsite, first night of the trip. The crisp, refreshing air is hitting me like a ton of bricks, the scent of pine trees have me at a loss for a single care in the world. It's bliss. Fermented ballet of hops and pine. Not overly hopped like some overrated IPAs currently swooping the market. Goldilocks, just right.

T: (See above) but transposed from the sense of smell to the sense of taste. Damn how I wish summer was upon us, this ale has me looking forward to those summer camping trips. THe name is straight to the point. I'm a happy camper. THe brew tastes like pine needles, the wilderness, great company and great beer.

M: For this caliber of an India pale ale, Happy Camper IPA is lax on bitter afternotes and has a higher degree of drinkability. Definitely one of those beers that is stronger than the next can but feels smooth enough that you'll be throwing a few back w/o much hassle.

O: If you every get a chance to try this one, please do so- especially if you're an IPA enthusiast. Too bad this brewery is a twenty-four hour drive from my house. I hope they ship...

3.62/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.17/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

4.14/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

so delicious. Lightbrown russet. Nice full body. Mid-tone ipa. Great finish. Hoppy sans cottonmouth; an edge to oi, but lets the malt come through as well.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

This is my go-to beer in Taos, NM. I'm sure it's good in the can, but it's such a beautiful pour in a glass, I always use one. The only thing better than drinking this beer is using the can for target practice.

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%