Happy Camper IPA | Santa Fe Brewing Company

Happy Camper IPAHappy Camper IPA

Santa Fe Brewing Company
New Mexico, United States | website

Style: American IPA

A classic beer for those beer lovers who love their hops, Happy Camper IPA will take the Pepsi Challenge (or IPA challenge, as we say in New Mexico) against any other pretenders to the throne. Was it divine providence that made this beer the king of the IPA world? Was it a tireless pursuit of glory? No, this IPA has a top-secret recipe to thank for its success, and this meticulously formulated combination of several different hops combined with a very specific brewing process give Happy Camper IPA a spicy, citric, and floral infusion of hop character, which is masterfully counterbalanced with the full-bodied maltiness characteristic of the Santa Fe Brewing Company’s distinctive beers.

Added by indiapaleale on 08-18-2010

3.8

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
Reviews: 157 | Ratings: 601
3.6/5  rDev -5.3%

My housemate brought this back from New Mexico.

A- Looks like a typical IPA. A little less amber than I'm used to. Good head and good lacing. Pretty sweet looking can.

S- Hoppy (go figure). Grapefruit, honey, grapefruit zest, pine

T- Grapefruit, grapefruit rind, faint malt, pine. The malt isn't as present as I was expecting from the color. The hops are very exposed. Not bad for the style. Makes me think of New Mexican forests filled with pine trees and woodland critters.

M- Medium

D- Fairly drinkable. Probably better in the spring or summer.

4.07/5  rDev +7.1%

Picked up as part of a mixed six pack at Lukas tonight. Poured a medium amber color with a decent off white head. Nice floral/piney hop aroma. On the palate, medium bodied and drinkable, with tons of floral/piney hops, a little lemon and sweet malt. A very nice ipa.

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

12oz can, picked this up because it was new and I figured it was fresh, it was. Clear orange color with plenty of sticky lacing. Smells piney and yet a little catty, simcoe? Tastes very piney, reminds me of sweetwater ipa a little. This is definitely a hoppy ipa but I'm not sure I love the hop profile.

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

Seems to have a gleaming quality to its color, depending on the light, angle, etc. . . this beer rocks some yellow, gold, red, amber, ruby and brown. Super big piney aroma, this is how dry hopping is done.

Taste, remains piney, very bitter, totally enjoyable. This is a great example of awesome canned ipa. Bitter, hoppy, sure a little metallic, but its all the 'metallic' flavors in a can. Mouthfeel, its straightforward, hoppy, piney, dry.

Good stuff.

EDIT: I've had so many compromised cans of this since my original 4.33/5 review. I can't possibly keep it that high anymore. Stamp the date on your cans, I'm tired of drinking old hops.

4.37/5  rDev +15%

Another CAN to further The CANQuest (TM), thanks to indiapaleale.

Music: Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains' "New Mexico Song".

From the CAN: "Wiping your rear with a pine cone is about as rough as camping should get. That's why we invented this portable IPA in a [CAN]. A hoppy, refreshing beverage that goes great with campfires, bears, granola, and mosquito repellent. Happy camping!"

I am not a big camper, so I'm just going to do my Crack & Glug action in my kitchen, where I usually review beers. I got a foamy finger of tawny head with good retention. Nose was filled with piney hops that filled the air with their tang. That does make me happy! Color was a deep orangish-amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Mouthfeel was medium with a great piney hoppiness initially, coupled with a caramel sweetness underneath. Finish was equally hoppy, followed by caramel sweetness, then a breathtaking return of the hops. Phew! This is definitely a CANdidate for the cooler.

Ah, you have to love canned craft beers.
This one comes in a bright yellow can with the Zia symbol (NM flag) on it.
Pours a light copper color with orange/yellow highlights. Perfect head on a normal pour with abundant lancing.
Big hops on the nose. Resin-y pine and cannabis notes are there in full force.
Immediately on my tongue I pick up summit hops, but they're definitely not as pungent and overpowering like they are in the OB Gubna. In fact they seem to fade into normal cascade and wilder simcoe hop notes. Definitely still some cannabis in the mix, too. Malts there, but it really only comes up in the middle of the body and it gives the hops a little bit of a tropical and stonefruit kick.
While the flavor is big, the beer isn't strong and for an IPA I'd say it's pretty easy drinking.
My can's disappearing pretty fast and as a camping beer this would be a real winner.
More good stuff from SF. A good IPA by any standards made better via the canned convenience.

Pour - comes out of the can a rich amber color with some red and orange highlights and a fluffy white head that stands a full inch at the top and leaves some well formed lacing within the walls of the glass.

Aroma - honey, grapefruit, mango, caramel, lemon peel, cotton candy and cocoa powder.

Taste - lots to go on once this hits the tongue. A burst of sweet, sweet malt is doused by an intense amount of citrus and bitterness that is accompanied by a great flavor of tropical fruits. I love IPAs that have a tropical fruit flavor and this one certainly has just that. The malt profile is pretty heavy and yet it not overpowering. The finish is tongue numbing but I'm left with a bit of cocoa powder (just like I smelled). I can only guess that is from the grain bill but who knows. This is good stuff!

Overall - while this may not fall into the "unique" category it does fall into the "solid IPA" category and I do love the tropical fruit flavors! Great aromas, fresh hop taste and a nice malty backbone make this a B+ of an American IPA.

Would I buy more of it? - sure thing. This is a great all around IPA to have in the cooler.

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last