Happy Camper IPA | Santa Fe Brewing Company

Santa Fe Brewing Company
New Mexico, United States
santafebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

A classic beer for those beer lovers who love their hops, Happy Camper IPA will take the Pepsi Challenge (or IPA challenge, as we say in New Mexico) against any other pretenders to the throne. Was it divine providence that made this beer the king of the IPA world? Was it a tireless pursuit of glory? No, this IPA has a top-secret recipe to thank for its success, and this meticulously formulated combination of several different hops combined with a very specific brewing process give Happy Camper IPA a spicy, citric, and floral infusion of hop character, which is masterfully counterbalanced with the full-bodied maltiness characteristic of the Santa Fe Brewing Company’s distinctive beers.

Added by indiapaleale on 08-18-2010

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

I left this one in the can. I honestly like some of the IPAs in the can as it brings a nice flavor.

Hops and more hops is what I smell. Also some fresh pine and grass.

I love the hop assault to the tongue right off. The beer is also pretty resinous and oily. Pine and grapefruit also pulls through, as well as some bitter citrus notes.

Medium to heavy-medium mouth. Nice and sticky!

This was a good IPA. The can, to me at least, is deceptive. It looks so unpromising and kind of dull, but what's inside is so tasty!

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

3.6/5  rDev -5%

This is one of my less favorite IPAs in a while, but I think that's my palate. I do see that this beer is fairly well made.

My favorite IPAs are balanced, with the hop abundance balanced with maltiness, or fruitness or something else. Happy Camper seems unbalanced to me, just a little too high on the pure bitterness scale, without enough else going to balance that out. If you want a high pucker factor in your IPAs, this may be for you.

Happy Camper IPA from Santa Fe Brewing Company