Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer

From:
Pizza Beer Company

Illinois, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Poor
Mamma Mia! Pizza BeerMamma Mia! Pizza Beer
Notes: From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.
View: Beers
Reviews: 166 | Ratings: 320 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by StoutHunter:
StoutHunter from Michigan

2.73/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

i picked up a bottle of Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer last week for $1.79 at Boardwalk Liquor Store. I heard about this beer a few years ago but I have never seen a bottle of it before so when I saw a bottle at the store I thought I would take a chance on it, I'll try any beer once, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, who knows how old it is, the numbers have been almost fully rubbed off. Poured from a fatter 16oz brown bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's got two chef's on the label which I assume are the people that came up with this beer and the color is the same as an Italian flag, it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice and hazy golden orange color that took on more of a orange hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left hardly any lacing behind. This is a decent looking beer, the color was pretty nice but the head and lacing were lacking.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by tons of pizza spices, it smells like a nice spiced pizza crust, oregano seems to stick out the most but I do get some garlic and basil with a good amount of tomato aromas that almost gives it a marinara like aroma. Up next comes some bready and grainy malts that hardly show up and are overpowered by the pizza spices. The aroma is ok all the ingredients that are listed on the bottle stick out, but it's just not an aroma that I associate with beer and it doesn't make me want to dive right into it.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma just not as intense, it starts off with a lower amount of sweetness with the pizza spices being the first to show up, they aren't as intense as they are in the aroma, but they are still pretty strong and only get stronger the more the beer warms up, the oregano still sticks out the most with all the other pizza spices that I got in the aroma showing up in the background. Up next comes a pretty noticeable tomato flavor followed by some grainy and bready malts. On the finish there's a lighter amount of bitterness with a little bit of sweetness and a bready, tomato, and pizza spice like aftertaste. The taste is not that great, it's true to the name and very pizza like, but the savory pizza flavors just don't translate well in a beer.

M- A little smooth, a little dry, slightly crisp, on the fuller of side of being light bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was just ok, it felt a little watery and a little under carbonated.

Overall i wasn't a fan of this beer and I thought it was a slightly below average example of the style, it had all the flavors as advertised, but the savory pizza flavors didn't go well in the beer, it doesn't keep me wanting to drink it. This didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't that smooth and the flavors didn't do a good job at holding my attention, the pizza spices really started to wear on me and there is no way that I would want to drink multiple bottles of this. What I liked the most about this beer was how close to pizza the flavors was, all the key tastes that I look for in a pizza show up in this beer, it just didn't work out that well. What I liked the least about this beer was the the lingering tomato and spices flavor, it just wouldn't go away. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it might be interesting to try with pizza, but it's not something I'm going to go out of my way to get, but I do recommend trying it, some beers are so unique that they have to be tried once and this beer is one of them. All in all this beer just wasn't for me, in my opinion they nailed what they were going for and it really does taste similar to pizza, it's just those aren't flavors that I really desire in a beer and I don't really have an urge to keep drinking. I appreciate the effort it took to come up with and make this weird brew, but it just wasn't my kind of beer.

Jun 25, 2013
rodbeermunch from Nevada

3.06/5  rDev +10.9%

So my review is back when Sprecher used to make this beer, so if that means a lot to you, I dunno, maybe you disregard, maybe you pay extra close attention because you are doing some historical or anthropological paper and here you are with your research.

It looks like your standard beer, yellow in color, white head, 1/4" goes away maybe a little quicker. Nothing about it says pizza. Now the smell, that actually captures some italian seasoning and tomatoes. I mean, I'm ntot going to dock this points because it smells like it is intended to. In fact, props yo.

Taste, hey, it tastes like pizza. It has a weird way of not letting you go. I drank the entire 16oz of this, and while it is far from my favorite, I mean seriously, there's been over 100 beers I can't drink that much of, so this was nowhere near as bad as its rating or some of the other garbage I've come across in my time.

So much oregano, tomato, bread. I think everyone should try this because its unique and shit, Dogfish Head puts shit like this out all the time and charge you $12 for a bottle of it.

May 09, 2016
largadeer from California

1.12/5  rDev -59.4%

Bottle generously shared by nickd717. Thanks Nick, I've been wanting to try this beer for a long time.

Clear and golden in the glass, the color of a lightly browned pizza crust. The head crackles away quickly, like pouring soda into a glass. Looks surprisingly like a normal beer, until...

The aroma is a stomach-churning combination of garlic, oregano, basil, marinara sauce and putrefaction. When ice-cold it smells like a pizza that's been sitting out on the kitchen counter for a few days, but warmer temperatures and vigorous swirling reveal the vomit-inducing stench of decay and pale malt. This might be the worst thing I've ever smelled in my life, and I would give this a negative 5 in aroma if I could. Given that I can only give it a 1, I'm going to have to dock other scores.

The taste, while still utterly horrific, isn't quite on the same nausea-inducing level as the aroma. It tastes largely like pizza crust and herbs that have been soaking in a stale, sun-kissed bottle of Miller High Life. The body is watery and thin and there's a surprising buttery diacetyl presence that, when combined with the strong garlic flavor, makes me think of garlic bitter. As delicious as that sounds, it has no place in beer.

In summary, this is surely one of the worst beverages I've ever tasted. In that sense, it totally lived up to my expectations, possibly even surpassed them. I feel bad for anyone that actually spent money on this beer, though.

Nov 30, 2009
ivegot3Dvision from Oregon

4.14/5  rDev +50%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Ok, I'm rating this as a novelty beer, and a novelty beer only.

It smells like pizza, tastes like pizza, unfortunately doesn't look like pizza though.

Is it a beer I'm going to go out and buy all the time? Probably not. Did they hit the nail on the head with a beer that tastes like pizza? Absolutely.

Feb 14, 2015

3.75/5  rDev +35.9%

Apr 02, 2014
bluHatter from Michigan

3.27/5  rDev +18.5%

A: Deep gold - almost orange in color. Very cloudy. Frothy carbonation that clings to the sides of the glass.

S: It smells just like pizza - I didn't expect that. Tomato, basil, garlicy... well, it's like sticking your nose in a pizza.

T: This beer really does taste like pizza sauce - it's not a gimmick, which surprised me. Garlic, tomato and marinara overtones. The only thing missing is cheese and pepperoni.

M: bubbly carbonation, not as thick as it looks.

O: I was surprised how much this actually smells and tastes like pizza sauce. It's a novel idea and quite good, but I'm not sure if I'd want to drink it very often... it's a little confusing to drink a pizza - I'd almost rather just cut to the chase and eat a piece of real pizza and drink a wheat beer to compliment it.

Sep 16, 2011
vicsju1991 from Pennsylvania

3.31/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

had thanks to user ufmj, thanksa bunch man,
poured from bottle into snifter
A -cloudy amberish, large white head that stays for a while
S - well it smeels like a pizza, tomato sauce, spices etc
T - weird... it tastes a lot like the nose, very tomato sauce-y not as bad as I expected, but not great
M - very thin and weak, honestly the worst part of the beer
O - not as bad as I expected, very weird beer, and very unique

Jun 28, 2013
gaffm from Indiana

Dec 09, 2011
tsauce2 from Indiana

2.06/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

P: 16 fl oz bottle in to an imperial pint

A: SRM is golden yellow with a slightly red tinge. Lots of sediment floating around. Translucent. Heavy carbonation. Light lacing.

S: Smells like pizza. Oregano, pizza dough, mozzarella cheeze, tomato sauce, garlic, and herbs.

T: Light herbs, garlic, pizza dough, tomato sauce, and mozzarella cheeze. It's like I'm taking a bite of pizza, chewing it up, taking a big chug of lite, flavorless beer, and then swallowing the whole thing. Watery taste. Aftertaste is of pizza.

M: Light body. Herbs and other ingredients give a mf akin to food. Overall, beer is very watery.

O: Not the worst beer I have ever had, but very close. Maybe this was a cool idea to whomever thought this up, but the execution of this idea is lacking to say the least. The one good thing about this beer is that it does smell like pizza, and that's kinda cool. Otherwise, not good. The beer is not appealing to look at, the taste is like watered down pizza, and beer should not taste like mozzarella cheeze and tomato sauce. The mouthfeel was of a BMC beer. Please do not make any more of this beer.

Dec 17, 2011

Oct 25, 2012
JustinQ from California

3.25/5  rDev +17.8%

Sep 16, 2012
schnarr84 from Canada (AB)

2.5/5  rDev -9.4%