Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer | Pizza Beer Company

Pizza Beer Company
Illinois, United States
mammamiapizzabeer.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

Added by orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008

Liked:
2.71/5
Alströms:

I saw this on the menu last night at the Sharp Edge Creek House and thought that it might make a nice accompaniment to the personal pizza that I was going to have as a late snack. I was not intimidated by it as I had the style a few years ago at Walter Peyton's Roundhouse.

The pour created a finger of bone-white head with good retention. Color was a medium-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose had tomato, basil, and oregano. It was nowhere near as pungent as at the Roundhouse. Mouthfeel was medium with the tomato and garlic achieving prevalence on the palate. I know that I going to get dunned for liking this and not Chelada, but this was semi-palatable while the latter was simply awful. NOT recommended for all and certainly NOT with dessert. Calling a spade a spade - it is a novelty beer. Chefs Tom and Athena of the "Original Seefurth Family" probably had it brewed as a lark. Oakle doakle! This was a far cry from a national brand brewing up some Bob-awful crap and foisting it off on an unsuspecting audience. Chelada = Blah! This = Drinkable, but not overly so. I drank it while eating a pizza. I repeat - this is NOT a dessert beer! One with my pizza was just right. Finish was strong with tomato, basil and oregano. Sorry, garlic, but you seemed to get lost in the mix, amazingly. This or the W. P. R. H. version? WPRH. This or wine? Wiine with pizza? Ooof. This or an American IPA with pizza? I have had too many Hop Devils with pizza to make that a question. Mais oui! This was simply a lark of a beer that rates "All 3s" in my book. I was glad that I tried it, but equally glad to be finished. Call me "Mr. C." Ha!

1.75/5  rDev -35.4%

2.49/5  rDev -8.1%

Picked this up 2 weeks ago and having tonight with a piece of pizza. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my New Belgium globe.

a - Pours a hazy pinkish orange color with one finger of fluffy white head and moderate carbonation evident. Looks a bit weird.

s - Smells of oregano, basil, spices, bread, and light earthy notes. Just a basil and oregano bomb; not enjoyable at all.

t - Tastes of oregano, basil, bready malts, spice, yeast. Taste is better than the nose was; not quite as strong so not quite as weird or offensive, but still not good.

m - Medium body and moderate to high carbonation. A bit over-carbonated.

o - Overall not a very good beer at all; even eating it with pizza did not improve it. Just a ton of basil and oregano all over the place, which is not what I like in a beer. Wouldn't recommend checking out.

2.93/5  rDev +8.1%

500 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Pale orange. Small white head. Some lacing.

Smell - Oregano! Whoa. I imagine tomato. Pale malt.

Taste - Tons of pale malt. The oregano kicks in. Not a lot else reminiscent of pizza. The name makes me think tomato, but I don't objectively think it's there.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Maybe medium light. Well carbonated.

Overall - It isn't terrible. Just isn't good or worth drinking.

2.82/5  rDev +4.1%

A: Pale golden in color with almost no head but rather plentiful carbonation.

S: I was shocked that the nose was actually full of oregano, garlic, basil, and tomato sauce. I thought for a moment that this beer might actually be good.

T: The flavor is definitely pizza-y, but not necessarily in a good way. The basil and oregano flavors are indeed powerful along with some tomato and garlic. It doesn't really go with the watery, thin base beer, however.

M: Thin and watery with very plentiful carbonation. To be honest, this might be a little better without such a fizzy feel.

D: Drinking this beer was comparable to eating a stale hot pocket.

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

I've been wondering about this beer ever since being repulsed by the sound of it years ago. Time to take it down, once and for all. It pours a lightly hazy orange-amber topped by a finger of dirty off-white foam. The nose comprises peppery cantaloupe, light basil, cilantro, dark greens, and lemon zest. It's not very pizza-like, but it's also not all that great-smelling, either. The taste is where the pizza comes in: notes of watered-down tomato juice, basil, plenty of garlic, light biscuit, black pepper, coriander, and a hint of what seems like it could be Swiss cheese. Most of this hits in the front, but then fades away into a sort of spicy melon flavor, complete with rind-y bitterness. The body is a rather light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly watery feel. Overall, this beer could have been horrific. Instead, it comes across as muddled, watery, thin, and generally uninspired, despite the cooky idea.

3.75/5  rDev +38.4%

3.47/5  rDev +28%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Hazy pale straw blonde, no head.

S - Definitely the aromas of a pizza. Yeasty dough, mild basil, sweet tomato paste. If you didn't know this was a pizza beer, you may just take the nose as a spiced beer, nothing specific.

T - Well the flavor messages some with the nose. However, they are both pretty mild. The nose wasn't overwhelming and the floor follows suit. The only thing is, this beer does in fact have some of the pizza flavors present. The dough yeast, oregano and basil are detected. Now it can be taken once again as just a mildly herbal beer, but when you know what's inside, it's a little easier to detect. This is by no means a very flavorful or exciting beer. It's quite light and watered down. My opinion is only that I respect when special beers actually present their special flavors.

M - Light body, effervescent, drinkable. Nothing special going on here.

O - My neighbor have me this bottle and of course it looked interesting. I approached it very open mindedly. As stated, I respect when a special beer presents its special characteristics in the nose, mouth, etc. It was a bit of a stretch and I wasn't blown away, but I would recommend this to others as a novelty.

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

2.5/5  rDev -7.7%

3.1/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from the bottle into a Nonic pint glass. Yup also poured into an INAO wine taster.. hey that's how I roll.

Slightly hazy, opaque, lots of microscopic carbonation rising with a dark yellowish orange body. Head is about two fingers, fairly creamy and some half decent staying power with no lacing. No chunks, or debris, not bad looking.

The nose is what it is. It's pizza. However, it's more of a frozen store bought dough, sort of like Olive Garden breadsticks. There is not much sense of real garlic, basil, or tomato on this, nothing fresh or spicy, it's just doughy like Pizza Hut crust or something.

Palate is quite watery, with a bitter dehydrated oregano like finish on the swallow. Surprisingly the pizza nose doesn't really translate into the taste. Light tomato and vegetative qualities but with none of the excellent spice angle. In fact it really doesn't taste like anything.

Overall this isn't horrid, but I can't feel like I would ever want to have this again, it tastes like watered down cheap pie in a glass. However, it is what it is.

2.25/5  rDev -17%

3.02/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours hazed golden with a thin white lasting head. Lacing sticks.

The smell is of oregano, basil, garlic, tomato - interesting smell like pizza sauce - strong on the herbs.

The taste is strong on the oregano and basil. Too much so. Garlic is also noticeable. I see where they were going with this, so I'll give a bit more credit than I actually liked. It lacks much of a doughy taste that I think would have enhanced it and kept the seasonings more balanced.

An interesting novelty beer.

2.93/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: pours a hazy orange color with a short 1/4" head. No lace develops.

Smell: oregano, basil, and a bready aroma rise from the glass.

Taste: definite liquid pizza taste here as oregano, bread, and basil are very noticeable, and there is very little bitterness. After a swig or two the novelty wears away.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crips throughout. Long lasting oregano aftertaste.

Overall: not that good of a beer and gets a bit tiring as the glass empties. Interesting but not a beer I can revisit.

3.64/5  rDev +34.3%

A: poured a golden yellow with a half finger head and a little lacing that stuck to the glass.

S: I couldn't believe that I could actually be able to get a scent of a pizza in a beer. I was getting tomato and pepperoni and hints of the basil in the nose.

T: damn...the flavor is that of a calzone pizza with chunks of the tomatos, garlic and basil. It tasted pretty weird but I like beers that are unorthodox and bring creativity to the table.

M: light to meduim body with good carbonation that slices up the pizza.

D: I was blown away by how they could manage to flavor a beer with a pizza,very intresting. I think I was the only one that enjoyed this brew in the beer tasting that we had.

3.12/5  rDev +15.1%

I have not so secretly been wanting to try this beer for a really long time. It is not normal and I think a good descriptor of this beer is that its interesting but not good. Its always hard to write these reviews, on one hand, I am conflicted. Did they make a beer that is flavored like a pizza? Yes, yes they did. Did they present it in a format that successfully launches a beer that is drinkable and pleasant? No, no they did not. I will thoroughly describe the beer and rate it based on my personal enjoyment.

Beer poured from the bottle into a pint glass (they say use a wine glass but give me a break). Beer is dark yellow / reddish in color and this one is hazy. A thin white head forms and there is a lot of carbonation that props it up. The carbonation is of large bubbles but there is not lacing on the glass.

The aroma is a homerun as far as a pizza beer is concerned. Every time I take a sniff, it smells more like pizza. At first its the basils, then the oregano, the oregano dominates for the while but then I pick up on some tomoato sweetness. Pizza smelling beer? Success, congratulations.

The first taste is the worst. I was scared to take it, the oregano and the basil are there the most. I was expecting some sulfur from the garlic but it just wasn't there. The beer was a little sweet from the tomatoes, they are well represented in a muted way. I've had other beers that use basil, a Bison beer and Black Thai, but this is just odd. It really tastes like pizza sause. Its kind of incredible.

There is an unfortunate pizza aftertaste that really subtracts from the experience. Beer has medium to low body and lots of carbonation in the mouth, giving it the illusion of more body than it really has.

I didn't love it, I won't have it again, I don't regret it, I respect it. It tasted like pizza. Nicely done. Time to cross it off my list.

2.5/5  rDev -7.7%

3.47/5  rDev +28%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It paired wonderfully with pizza. Unfortunately I was already eating the pizza, so I didn't get the full flavour first.

A: Clear-yellow with a thin white head, no retention or lace.

S: It smells like a good Italian tomato sauce with plenty of herbs.

T: Subtle herb flavours are well-rounded & the bready malt really does put pizza in mind. Modest bitterness, no fruity esters. It is exactly what it is, and much better than I had anticipated.

M: Well-attenuated, light to moderate body with a dry finish.

D: Nice with a slice.

2.6/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Ive heard about this beer, brewed with pizza spices. A friend made me try it, my will was weak, I drank it.

Pours a hazy straw yellow from a 12 oz bottle. No lacing or head retention. Though it was hazy, there was no discouraging sediment which was a plus.

Aroma is simple. Beer. No hints of what lie beneath.

Flavor was kind of funny really. Light malt character, biscuity (doughy - if you will) and some oregano lending an herbal touch. Ground black pepper. Garlicy and slightly cheesey though no cheese was used to my knowledge. Bitter astringency causing one to reminisce about tomatos. Like a light oregano ale. Thats the most apt description since minus the oregeno, everything else was quite tame.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with the oregano spice lingering and coating the palate.

Drinkability rates about average. Ate it with pizza rolls and those added a dimension that made the beer more drinkable. Not terrible, as I said to my friends, but one is more than enough.

4.04/5  rDev +49.1%

A Sprecher bottle into a pint glass, mama mia.

Pizza Beer has a golden orange glaze to itself with some faint white bubbles that die off rather quick, no lacing on the sides. There is some small bubbles rising up, so this is not all together dead. This sure as shit smells like a slice of pizza. It's all there with the basil and oregano showing off the most. Yep, just pizza in the scent, tomatoes as well. No real beer scents, just pizza. Well, this tastes like pizza, the spices used pop out real bold like with tomato pie flavor. Not hoppy, a bit of malt in the finish. Delivered as promised. Body is light and a bit watery, and the carbonation is very light. The aftertaste is tomato, but not long lingering. This is not something that I will go to at all, the flavor does not move me like that, but this beer lives up to its name, which scores points in my book.

2.48/5  rDev -8.5%

Found at High Time in Costa Mesa, a rarity I was surprised to find.

A cloudy amber colored beer with a sparse white head.

Smells weird. Pizza dough and spices but not really like pizza. Fennel, tomato and oregano are the only ones I can identify.

Starts out just beer with a little fennel. You can taste oregano and tomato but it is really just a trace. Decent bitterness.

Mouthfeel is average.

There is something vaguely nauseating about this beer, probably why Italy doesn't brew beer with tomatoes or garlic in it. A novelty beer you will only want to taste once.

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer from Pizza Beer Company