Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer | Pizza Beer Company

Mamma Mia! Pizza BeerMamma Mia! Pizza Beer

Pizza Beer Company
Illinois, United States

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

Added by orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008

Reviews: 167 | Ratings: 322
3.35/5  rDev +20.1%

A- This has your typical pale lager appearance. Crystal clear pale yellow body that pours with a foamy white head. The head has surprisingly good retention and traces of lacing stick to the glass.

S- Yep, smells just like pizza. Oregno, basil, garlic, pizza crust, tomato sauce, the whole works. Smells like a fresh out of the oven pizza.

T- Exactly the same as the smell. The spices such as the oregano, basil, and garlic come out more than everything else upfront, with a hint of tomato sauce on the finish but its really masked. What lingers (forever...its been 45 minutes and its still there) is the garlic.

M- Typical, average mouthfeel, medium to high carbonation and a slightly watery but very quaffable lager body.

D- Well at first this is amazing and a true novelty. Its definitely worth a try because it tastes just like pizza. It does get somewhat annoying when you clearly haven't consumed any Italian food and you feel like you ate an entire Italian dinner and it stays on your breath forever. This is exactly what it claims to be-a pizza beer and tastes as such. Its been 45 minutes since consumption and its still on my breath.

2.97/5  rDev +6.5%

16 ounce bottle. Picked it up on a recent trip to Champaign/Urbana, IL. I saw this and figured why not try it. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a hazy dark gold color with a half inch white head. Head retention is average, not much lacing. Well, this beer definitely smells like pizza just like it says on the label (oregano, basil, tomato and garlic). I don't notice any hop or malt aromas, just pizza. It tastes the same as the aroma, but there's some hops I can taste too. Finishes a bit bitter. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's not watery but there isn't much to the mouthfeel at all. Average carbonation. Drinkability is OK, I guess. I'm pretty sure I couldn't drink more than one bottle of this at a time, though. This is definitely a unique beer, that's for sure. It's not great, but it's not awful either. All in all, I'd drink this again. For $2.29 a bottle, it's worth a try.

3.25/5  rDev +16.5%

Light amber color, thin white head, no lacing

Nice herbal aroma of tomato, garlic, and some other herbs, Smells like left over pizza.

Mild front that picks up in the middle with a light tomato/herb flavor that is quite close to a good pizza sauce. Finishes nicely with little after taste.

Very light body, too light for the herbal flavors

I wish this was in Michigan, I would keep a few in the Fridge for cooking and to enjoy.

3.18/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz fatty bottle poured into a pint glass. This "gem" was picked up from Steve's Liquor in Madison, WI.

Smell, huh. Smells kinda like day old pizza. Some oregano, faint hit of garlic, but no hops.

Taste, well, it, uh, kinda tastes like pizza. Strong flavors of oregano and garlic, along with that sharp acidic taste from tomato sauce. Hops are noticeable though, and I think that is this beer's redeeming quality. Goes down smooth with the exception of the garlic getting in the way. I love garlic, but not in liquid form.

Overall, it tastes like pizza. What did you expect? But really, it's one of the most unique beers I've ever tasted. Kudos to the brewers for thinking outside the box, and kudos to Sprecher for taking a chance on this beer. Believe it or not, this is the new "Extreme Beer". Beer brewed with food, it's the new fad. You heard it here first.

1.69/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought this to give it a try. What the heck.

The smell was like sniffing a spice rack that had a stale beer dumped on it. The color *looked* like beer, with a slight red to it.

I took a swallow and thought I had accidentally got some orageno around the lip of my glass and was drinking a V8. Gag.

While not the worst beer I have ever tasted, it is now become the gag beer I take over the friends' beer events and sneak it into the mix.

Definitely not a beer to be taken seriously. Which may explain the unsold cases of it sitting around the Roundhouse in Aurora.

1.46/5  rDev -47.7%

Picked this up out of curiosity in Madison. It's not available in KS, so what the hell?

A: Looks like beer. Bright light orange with a shockingly large head that dissipated surprisingly quickly.

S: This is where it starts to go downhill. It smells like pizza, as promised, but the pizza in the nose is terrible, month-old pizza. The scent is vaguely reminiscent of discovering an ancient, possibly-five-week-old Domino's pizza under a friend's futon back in the days of the dorms. Appalling.

T: Wow, sad times. It tastes like it smells, but worse. There's definitely oregano, tomato, and other pizza spices in there, but they are all horrible perverted. Just... bad. I drank a couple sips and passed it around to my friends so they could also experience the pain, but we eventually ended up chucking the balance. It's always sad to throw a beer, and it's not something I do lightly, but this is definitely an occasion of necessity.

M: Watery - starts out overly carbonated and then deteriorates to being entirely flat as time progresses.

D: As previously stated, this didn't even merit completion. Horrible.

Note: My friends were all super-sad when they saw the Sprecher name on the bottle, and some vowed to stop trying Sprecher products even after I explained that it is contract-brewed. So, if anyone from Sprecher is reading this... now you know.

2.77/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured this one from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass. The label says this beer is contract brewed by Sprecher Brewery in WI.

A= This ale poured a hazy darkish gold color with a surprising 2" white head. The head quickly dropped to a thin skim.

S= This ale smells mostly of pizza herbs and spices (garlic, oregano, basil, etc.). I couldn't really detect any malt or hops. Just pizza. I gave it 3.5 just for the uniqueness of the aroma.

T= OK, the novelty wore off. This beer tastes very odd. It is all pizza up front, with a brief malt presence in the finish. Zero bittering or flavor hops present, yet it had an oddly dry finish.

MF= Frankly terrible. Carbonaton was too low, the body was strangely heavy compared to the appearance and flavor.

D= Not the worst beer I ever had, but also not one I would go out of my way for again. Its worth a try if you are curious though!

3.29/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours a super fizzy golden orange with hints of red. The head is a fluffy off-white and recedes to a ring fairly quickly leaving no lacing. It smells like, well, a pizza, with strong basil and oregano aromas. The taste isn't exactly like pizza, but pretty darn close. There's the generic grainy lager taste but with serious pizza flavors of basil, garlic and oregano. The mouthfeel is light to medium and highly carbonated. I have to say that this is one of the more interesting brews I've tasted and was pleasantly surprised. It's definitely the best pizza beer I've tasted!

3.01/5  rDev +7.9%

this is a great idea on paper.

I poured this brew into my das boot. the smell is pizza-ish. I can smell oregano and tomatoe. This taste is wheat beerish with a hint of basil and oregano.

This beer, while sounding great, is very hard to drink. i just dont think pizza IN a beer go together.

Overall, I wouldnt go for this again.

2.53/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance: Sprecher really sucks at carbonation lately; the bottle was a geyser when I opened it, while the beer itself has basically no head after a vigorous pour. Body is an unassuming bronzish yellow.

Smell: Big, fruity tomato sweetness that lands somewhere between Campbell's tomato soup concentrate and marinara sauce - in other words, somewhere between nauseating and pretty nice. The garlic, oregano, and basil are only detectable as a sort of wispy background thing, lost a bit among the mild hops. The bready malts provide a nice surrogate for the crust, resulting in a beer that really does smell like pizza (or pizza-flavored Pringles, anyway).

Taste: Very bland with an edge of "pizza," like drinking Heineken while snacking on Combos. Only slightly weird, and only moderately interesting; not bad (you could do a lot worse with a beer brewed with garlic), but it lacks impact and depth.

Mouthfeel: Watery and light - the bubbles are fine, but there aren't enough of them.

Drinkability: I expected more from this beer - more impact, more complexity, more something. It's disappointingly boring, and slightly gross.

3.47/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It paired wonderfully with pizza. Unfortunately I was already eating the pizza, so I didn't get the full flavour first.

A: Clear-yellow with a thin white head, no retention or lace.

S: It smells like a good Italian tomato sauce with plenty of herbs.

T: Subtle herb flavours are well-rounded & the bready malt really does put pizza in mind. Modest bitterness, no fruity esters. It is exactly what it is, and much better than I had anticipated.

M: Well-attenuated, light to moderate body with a dry finish.

D: Nice with a slice.

2.05/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours a solid red with a white head. Nothing impressive, but nothing offputting about it, either.

Smells strongly of generic pizza seasoningss. Like, if you buy the stuff at the grocery store that's just labeled "Pizza Seasoning." Taragon, maybe. I think. Some light nodes of basil and oregano, too. Nothing beerish, but still not horribly unpleasant.

Tastes a little disturbing. You ever see that movie _The Polar Express?_ It's not very good. Anyhow, as you might know it was one of the first cellshaded movies. They shot it with live actors and then they animated over the actors, giving the movie a really weird, creepy feel. For some reason they dubbed over the voices. This one character was a little kid, and as it was actual film of an actual kid that had just had animation laid on top of it, the kid looked really realistic. But, like I said, his voice was overdubbed, it was high-pitched and nerdy and cartoonish. The voice was from some popular voiceactor who I've heard dozens of times before on different TV shows (he was Dexter's nemesis on "Dexter's Lab"). When that voice was used on cartoons it worked just fine. But when it was used in the Polar Express, when this ridiculous fake imitation of a child was coming out of the mouth of an actual child, the result was nothing short of terrifying. And that's pretty much how this beer is.

It's not helped out by a weak, thin body, either. Nor by the Italiano dyspepsia it gives you.

2.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours murky gold with an orange hue. Plenty of small particulates in suspension, and a smidge of an off-white head. Retention is moderate, and within ten minutes theres barely a trace left.

Aromatics are lightly spicy and pretty bland. A hint of mint-like oregano and lemon zest. Light cloves follow through.

Light bodied and thin carbonation. Watery and flatish.

The pallet is mainly lemony and lightly spicy.
There's no Oregano, basil, tomato, or garlic coming through at all.
Basically tasting like a thin, watery wheat beer with a hint of mint.

Finishes quickly and without much flavor.

If this beer had any of the "pizza character" at one point, it must have been a long time ago. Of course there is no bottle date and no way to tell how old it is. I picked it up at a Bunny's in Chicago a couple of months ago.

I would probably enjoy a beer with oregano, basil, tomato, and garlic, but this one had none of those characteristics. I guess the joke was on me.

1.06/5  rDev -62%

I hate giving these types of reviews. Homerbag was nice enough to trade with me, then generous enough to give me this as an extra (along with a Belgian Red. Thanks!). Now I'm going to trash this beer. Well, I still appreciate the chance to try it, as I certainly would have bought a bottle if I spotted in the store.

Pours a bright fizzy yellow. Doesn't look unpleasant. Just forgettable. The smell is truly bizarre. I had no idea how they were going to make beer taste like pizza (they didn't), but they really captured its essence in the smell. The aroma of moldy pizza dough and basil/oregano/pizza herbs wafted to my nose. My mind actually wanted to insert recollected smells such as cheese, even though they weren't there, that's how familiar it was.

The taste ... egads, the taste. So. Bad. Just an awful mixture of food herbs with carbonated, skunky water. This is up there with Samuel Adams Triple Bock and Gluek Ice as being simply undrinkable.

I drainpour a beer about once every two hundred reviews. This was absolutely disgusting. Even worse, I had to wait an hour before I trusted my palate to review anything else. I don't mind experimental brews, but we have to recognize that every once in a while things go awry.

3.42/5  rDev +22.6%

Call me crazy, but I kind of liked this one. Pours yellowish gold with a small whitish head. Smell is basil, oregano and dough. Taste is malty, doughiness with obvious oregano and pizza and pizza sauce like spices. The doughy, yeasty malt and pizza spices work pretty well together, and while not something I'd drink a lot of, it was fun to share and went down pretty easily for me. Definitely a pizza beer.

3.27/5  rDev +17.2%

12 oz bottle into Barilla jar.

A: Looks good. Head goes down to near nothing but a bit of a collar.

S: Can't really detect the basil and oregano until it warms. Then its there.

T: Really good super cold but when it warms the oregano and basil kind of overpower this brew. Keep it cold and drink it fast and its awesome.

M: Not bad this is a well crafted beer.

D: The herbs kind of sour this beer when it warms. But I give mama a four when she's cold and a two when she's warm.

3.42/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazy apricot with a slight reddish blush. Up top sits a thick slice of foam that is yellowed ivory in color and looks decent enough. It shrinks without fanfare and leaves the glass untouched. So far, there's nothing distinctive or different, but that's to be expected where appearance is concerned.

I'm not sure why I should be surprised, but Pizza Beer actually does smell like pizza. Not in an artificial way, but in a 'real deal' way. Kudos to the brewers for that, no matter what it tastes like. As far as the herbs and spices, the stronger ones (garlic and oregano) are the ones that are appreciated for certain.

Wonder of wonders, Mama Mia! tastes like pizza too! Strength of flavor is right on the nose, which was vitally important. Any weaker and why bother? Okay, so a little weaker might make it more drinkable. Any stronger and it would be too overpowering (especially with regard to the garlic). As is, this single bottle will be more than enough. What an odd and interesting concoction.

The difficulty is choosing a flavor score comes from attempting to weigh the brewers' success in creating a pizza-flavored beer with the worthiness of such an undertaking. Regarding the first, Chef Tom and Chef Athena get very high marks. Regarding the second... not so high. Like any number of other beers, this one is more interesting than good. In the end, I'll bump the taste score one notch for exactness of flavor recreation.

On a good note, Pizza Beer tastes like both pizza *and* beer. It's difficult to appreciate the specifics of the base beer since the garlic (especially) tends to overwhelm every one of the other ingredients. I like the amount of hop bitterness, since a sweet beer with this flavor profile would probably be all kinds of nasty. The tomato isn't really noticeable, but it does provide a hint of acidity.

The body/mouthfeel is more than passable and less than stellar. It's closer to light than medium (a good thing) and has a low-moderate amount of sharp carbonation that seems to work well in the grand scheme of things.

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer is one of the most unique offerings that I have ever had. Cutting back on the garlic is the only change that I'd make if given the opportunity. Even though it borders on gimmicky, the brewers have done a remarkable job of recreating the flavor of pizza in a glass of beer. Thanks to murrayswine for the bottle.

2.69/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a clear golden, almost amber color with one finger of white bubbley head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

The aroma is definitely strange, but trying to keep an open mind and think of the beer as what it is. Definitely tomato sauce, spices and a little "beer" smell in the background. The aroma for me is hard to get around. It's not too enticing, but I'm not sure that is something that can be fixed.

The taste is actually much weaker than I had supposed. It does grow on the finish. Tastes of tomato sauce, garlic, some spices and then a few beer type flavors in the background. I'm having difficulty picking out the actual beer flavors (hops, malt, etc). There is a bit of a bitterness with the finish. It's not actually that bad.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with some lively carbonation.

Drinkability is fairly low. I just don't see anyone being able to consume this beer in quantity. I do however believe that it would be good with pizza or a marinara based dish. In a food pairing situation, this beer would bee consumable in larger quantities. I think this beer accomplished what it set out to do.

I will purchase 2 more bottles next time I am at the liquor store and post a review of the beer paired with pizza, and one of a pizza made with this beer instead of water. However, my rating will be based on the review of the beer by itself.

Time for part 2 of my review: Pizza Beer paired with pizza.

I used a standard pepperoni pizza, and prepped myself for the experience.

Appearance: 3.5
Smell: 2.0
Taste: 3.5
Mouthfeel: 4.0
Drinkability: 3.5
Avg: 3.25 C+

Appearance and Smell remain the same. Taste increases a touch. The pizza tones in the beer are lost when accompanying pizza, as they blend well. The beer now dominates the flavor. It is lightly malted, but seemingly balanced. There is a gentle hop bitterness as well. It actually works.

Mouthfeel is the same.

Drinkability increases as a result of the pairing. Much more manageable when actually consumed as the brewer intended.

2.65/5  rDev -5%

The beer is golden colored with a thin white head. The aroma is a bit like tomato sauce with herbs. The flavor is moderately grainy, a bit sweet with medium body. There is little if any hop presence aside from some low bitterness. The beer finishes with an odd taste, kind of like V8 - but not as good. Overall I thought it was an ok beer with a bad finish - interesting idea but I wouldn't recommend. I didn't finish it.

2.7/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a hazy yellow capped by a greyish head.

Smell is exactly how it is described on the bottle. Aroma of tomato, basil, and garlic are prevalent. Some bready notes are also easy to detect. None of the aromas are out of wack. The taste is nothing like the smell. Tomato and basil share the stage with a macro lager like blandness. Feel is somewhat fizzy and light.

On its own this beer is almost a drain pour. How ever halfway through the pint my pizza came out of the oven and made the beer more tolerable. It is a great compliment to pizza. If you are in the mood for something wierd, this is it.

3.24/5  rDev +16.1%

Contract brewed by Sprecher. There is some shit scrawled in sharpee across the label, which appears to be an autograph by "Chef R"(???) and possibly "Mama Mia" but it looks like it was written with all "m"s. Maybe it says "Athena *something*" (which would make sense), but that's a stretch.

And it only gets weirder.

It pours a hazy tan-yellow body with a slumping gray head.
The nose is doughy, slathered with oregano, basil, tomato paste, and garlic...and pretty much exactly as promised. Bizarre, but it is not offensive. The garlic is low key, and I appreciate that, as I was worried that it might be obnoxiously garlicky.
The smell is spot-on (for what it is), taste is more of a mixed bag. A thin-crust maltiness with some creeping sweetness, that begins more and more to hint at tomato. It's more doughy later on, as the spices (again, obviously, basil, oregano, and garlic). Hopping is negligible.
Light bodied, lowly carbonated. The spicing does catch up after a while, and limit drinkability.
It's mild enough to not overwhelm or offend, but also bland enough to not warrant a repeat visit. It's probably worth a spin just for quirkiness' sake. Just don't expect any "wows".

2.06/5  rDev -26.2%

(Served in an American pint glass)
The bottle says Sprecher in the glass

A- This beer has a hazy deep orange body with a big creamy beige head and is supported by a boiling carbonation of big bubbles.

S- The soft smell of tomato paste and dried herbs comes through in the smell with some slight salty cheese note as it warms. The smell is pretty clean but strong enough.

T- The big taste of pizza crust dominates the taste followed by a big tomato sauce flavor and a dry savory herb flavor at the finish. There is a dry mozzarella flavor in the background that comes through after a few sips.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a fizzy finish that enhances the tomato paste flavor.

D- I have been staring at this beer in the fridge for a few days a little scared to open it. It was not as horrific as I though but it was still gross, and I like pizza. The crust flavors were authentic but I don't like that in a beer and the tomato was spot on but I don't think I could drink a tomato beer. Interesting idea that should have stopped at that.

3.52/5  rDev +26.2%

Created by Tom and Athena Seefurth of Campton Township, Illinois in his lifelong pursuit to combine two of the world's great loves, pizza and beer. Some say it's the best pizza beer around. Feh! If I had a dollar for every time I've heard this... Oh, but I'll give it a chance, as I'm a real sucker for unique beer it seems.

Hm. Not to brag, but, it's a Pizza Parade, babies! Hands down, no question, it is pizza-y. That was the aim of Mister and Missus Seefurth and they achieved it. The nose is slathered in spicy, chunky, robust tomato sauce primarily, with just a slight bready background note. This, of course, carries over into the taste. Along the way, other flavors begin to develop -- some sweetish dough here, some chiffonade basil there. Even a pinch of red pepper spiciness. Oh, and packed with fresh garlic. Ah, the power of garlic. As with any pie, it's more of the same till the end, though the spices still had legs and carried on well past the finish. As you drink it down, the various flavors really start to come together as it slowly bakes in your gut, all of it settling vaguely under the definition of "pizza", at least in terms of flavor and aroma. No complaints here. However, as with Short's Bloody Beer, I just can't see myself calling on this beer every day. Not bad at all, though. Easily the best pizza beer on the market.

2.45/5  rDev -12.2%

Had to try this one, and rate it. Sprecher sure does make (and/or contract) some interesting brews that don't always pan out properly.
Looks like hazy clear apple juice. Thin white head. Pretty average. The nose is either a 5 or a 1, so I'll give it a 3. It really does smell like pizza sauce, which is quite disturbing. Old tomatoes, garlic, oregano, some basil... it's all there, and it's all quite odd. No hint of the crust and cheese though. Just canned pizza paste/sauce. So weird. Taste is lacking much of what was in the nose (which is probably a good thing). Mostly watery tomato beer, metallic, thin, with perhaps a slight white pepper taste. Not appealing. Too weird to drink much of it.

2.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Bottle purchased at City Wide and consumed with a pizza. Light amber in color, wispy white head. Looks like a light lager. Smells hugely of tomato sause and oregano, like i've opened a contained of generic brand spaghetti sauce. I have to say that it smells perfect for the style :). Taste is a watered down tomato sauce with mild, bland spices or oregano and garlic. Mostly just watery and not really pizza like or beer like. very thin and reminds me of Miller Lite. Eh, no thanks, even as a joke.

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer from Pizza Beer Company