Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer | Pizza Beer Company

Pizza Beer Company
Illinois, United States
mammamiapizzabeer.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

Added by orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008

1.25/5  rDev -53.9%

2.55/5  rDev -5.9%

From a 473 ml brown bottle, abv listed as 4.7% on import label tag. Pours out a cloudy honey hue, dense frothy white head that slowly settles to a thick cap.

The aroma reveals notes of garlic, oregano, dry basil, sage, surprisingly some tomato, and a malty base that seriously resembles pizza dough.

Mild bready malt base up front in the flavour, quickly overpowered by the spicy bite of too much oregano, and a bit too much garlic, while everything else seems to get drowned out behind them.

Mouthfeel starts out with a medium-bodied creamy fullness, thins out a bit, then finishes with a spike of intense pin-prickly carbonation.

While not quite a sink pour, I can't say that this stuff really does anything for me, and I sure took my time finishing off the glass. May do a bit better when served with food, however I'm in no huge rush to find out.

3.05/5  rDev +12.5%

16oz bottle. Sorry, I'm not sullying any wine glass of mine with this potential gag-bomb of a beer, thrice passed over in recent trips south of the 49th.

This beer pours a hazy medium golden yellow colour, with one finger of foamy off-white head, which leaves very little of note in terms of lace around the glass as things sulk away.

It smells of oregano, garlic, and tomato - pizza, as duly promised, all beer considerations aside. The taste is surprisingly an agreeable dance between pizza and lager - bready (from which source, it is a mystery) malt, and standard pie spice - the proclaimed oregano, garlic, and weak tomato sauce. Any superfluous hops just get doused in the hard to hate pasta goodness (I know!) that is somehow evoked here.

The carbonation is average, just a few bubbles here and there, with a middling pasta-influencing weight, and weirdly agreeable smoothness. It finishes pizza-friendly, for sure, and a bit less on the standard basic malted lager side of things.

Not the hot mess I had anticipated, and a damned sight better as a lead-in to the sexy local indie pizza option that just rang the buzzer for all my Saturday night gustatory needs...coming!

2.5/5  rDev -7.7%

2.06/5  rDev -24%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

P: 16 fl oz bottle in to an imperial pint

A: SRM is golden yellow with a slightly red tinge. Lots of sediment floating around. Translucent. Heavy carbonation. Light lacing.

S: Smells like pizza. Oregano, pizza dough, mozzarella cheeze, tomato sauce, garlic, and herbs.

T: Light herbs, garlic, pizza dough, tomato sauce, and mozzarella cheeze. It's like I'm taking a bite of pizza, chewing it up, taking a big chug of lite, flavorless beer, and then swallowing the whole thing. Watery taste. Aftertaste is of pizza.

M: Light body. Herbs and other ingredients give a mf akin to food. Overall, beer is very watery.

O: Not the worst beer I have ever had, but very close. Maybe this was a cool idea to whomever thought this up, but the execution of this idea is lacking to say the least. The one good thing about this beer is that it does smell like pizza, and that's kinda cool. Otherwise, not good. The beer is not appealing to look at, the taste is like watered down pizza, and beer should not taste like mozzarella cheeze and tomato sauce. The mouthfeel was of a BMC beer. Please do not make any more of this beer.

1.99/5  rDev -26.6%

Reviewed from notes. Saw bottles (a lot actually) at the Sharp Edge in Crafton and decided to split it 3 ways with 2 friends. Poured into a snifter...

A - Pours a hazy, pale gold color. Some red hues when held to the light. No real head to speak of.

S - Well. I guess it smells like pizza? There's Italian spices and some tomato for sure. But the vegetal aspect mixed with a seemingly acidic aroma doesn't make it the most appealing scent.

T - You can taste the wheat, tomato and oregano for sure. But they're not really tastes I want in a beer. There's a buttery aspect of it that doesn't really help the vegetal flavors that I am not liking all that much.

M - Light bodied and relatively smooth. This was probably the "best" aspect of the beer.

O - Well, I had to try it and I did. But I will never go back to it again. I guess I was expecting something different. Although what else could you expect from a beer called "pizza beer?"

1.34/5  rDev -50.6%

Got this beer from a friend and we were pretty excited on trying this new beer out. It was poured into two pint glasses. It looked like an average beer without any head. It's very hazy and you can see the herbs( I'm pretty sure it wasn't yeast floating around).It's aroam is very vinegary, i reminded me of a mixture of Worchestershire sauce and red vinegar mixed together and the taste resembled the aromas down to a "T". I would say try this beer if you have an adventurous spirit, otherwise just stay away from it, it really requires an accquired taste.

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

I've been wondering about this beer ever since being repulsed by the sound of it years ago. Time to take it down, once and for all. It pours a lightly hazy orange-amber topped by a finger of dirty off-white foam. The nose comprises peppery cantaloupe, light basil, cilantro, dark greens, and lemon zest. It's not very pizza-like, but it's also not all that great-smelling, either. The taste is where the pizza comes in: notes of watered-down tomato juice, basil, plenty of garlic, light biscuit, black pepper, coriander, and a hint of what seems like it could be Swiss cheese. Most of this hits in the front, but then fades away into a sort of spicy melon flavor, complete with rind-y bitterness. The body is a rather light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly watery feel. Overall, this beer could have been horrific. Instead, it comes across as muddled, watery, thin, and generally uninspired, despite the cooky idea.

3.27/5  rDev +20.7%

A: Deep gold - almost orange in color. Very cloudy. Frothy carbonation that clings to the sides of the glass.

S: It smells just like pizza - I didn't expect that. Tomato, basil, garlicy... well, it's like sticking your nose in a pizza.

T: This beer really does taste like pizza sauce - it's not a gimmick, which surprised me. Garlic, tomato and marinara overtones. The only thing missing is cheese and pepperoni.

M: bubbly carbonation, not as thick as it looks.

O: I was surprised how much this actually smells and tastes like pizza sauce. It's a novel idea and quite good, but I'm not sure if I'd want to drink it very often... it's a little confusing to drink a pizza - I'd almost rather just cut to the chase and eat a piece of real pizza and drink a wheat beer to compliment it.

3.15/5  rDev +16.2%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: orange amber color with a minimal white head

smell: tomato, garlic,

taste: tomato, basil, garlic,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: reminds me sort of like a tomato soup flavor. not a terrible beer just different. Glad I finally got to try it.

Cheers,
The CPJ

Pizza beer? Oh man, I love pizza… I love beer. There’s no way this tastes like pizza. But apparently they use the same spices as… As pizza. I mean, I love pizza, name the toppings. I like the meats, and the veggies. As a matter of fact, I really enjoy BBQ pizza. The best pizza ever is the BBQ pizza from Pizza Hut. Alright, what’s the beer smell like?

Holy cow, it smells like pizza. What the heck… It literally smells like pizza. You know the smell when you walk into an Italian restaurant… Not just any Italian restaurant but the small local places owned and operated by an Italian. So if it smells like pizza, does that mean it tastes like pizza?

Um… The beer tastes like pizza. No… It tastes like pizza. What in the world do they use to make this beer taste like pizza… The spices apparently. I might not order this again, unless I was ordering it with a pizza. But man, calling this a pizza beer was dead on.

Sip it… Unless you like shoving a whole piece of pizza in your mouth!

2.71/5  rDev 0%

A- Pours a cloudy amber with no head

S-Smells of basil and tomato sause

T- tastes like you are drinking watered down tomato sause.

M-Medium to light bodied with ok carbonation

D-Overall this was drinkable for about 8 oz then the last 4 were gross. It was werid but not horrible. Prob wont ever seek this out again but it was good to try liquid pizza once

1.89/5  rDev -30.3%

A: Pours a slightly cloudy, pale golden color with a lot of visible carbonation and a foamy tan head.

S: Uh oh. This smells like a pizza. Or more like the sauce of a pizza that's been left in the box for about a day. I get a lot of tomato, oregano and basil.

T: Gross. Basil and tomato along with hints of grain and yeast. Honestly, don't try this. It's nearly undrinkable. So much pizza flavor here that it's nearly unbearable. This was a drainpour after about three sips.

1.14/5  rDev -57.9%

5/21/2011

Thanks Terri! Poured into a tasting glass. It smells like an alien pizza sauce. Huge tomato and basil notes blend with oregano and garlic. The vegetal character is just horrendous. Awful smell. The flavor is just as bad, with a brutal blast of oregano and basil with a disgusting artificial tomato flavor. Epicly bad stuff.

1.06/5  rDev -60.9%

Just a cool looking bottle poured into my pint glass here.... Unfortunately, it is REALLY hard to blind some Sprecher beers. I was completely unaware until I grabbed it from the fridge and stupidly looked down at why the bottle was rough to my fingertips. Good thing I hadn't had much by them though, so this will be fun to try and guess what I got.

A- Pretty sad looking to be honest. Every glass I tried got just the barest hint of a head to form that was off-white in color. Good amount of carbonation above the honey, amber body.

S- Meaty... a bit of apple. Oh fu**.. I want to vomit. The smell of asparagus, rancid popcorn, stale bread. It just starts going nasty all over. I thought it was my glass and tried three different ones. Sulfur starts to be the mainstay at the end though. Just... can't... smell.. any more. Must.. destroy every batch... from 2008.. of this beer.

T- Makes me gag... I can barely get a couple drinks in of this beer. I've never had something this horrendous in flavor. The sulfur comes out strong, apple next.. some rancid sweet meat flavors after that. Holy fudge.. Mike wants to kill me.

M- Thin crisp.. I... I can barely manage to let it rest in my mouth for a moment. It causes instant puckering of my mouth in gag power.

D- Have you ever taken a drink of something.... so awful... so nasty... that your entire neck tenses up... your mouth purses begging to spit it out and you have to punch your leg to keep this liquid in your mouth just to judge the oral qualities of it?

That barely begins to describe the torture of this beer. Without a doubt.. the worst experience I have ever had with any food ever. I think the few drinks have caused me to be nauseous. I feel dizzy.. woozy from the experience. It is from 2008, day 81 of the year, batch 1419.

Sprecher... WTF! It is Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer.... God, I want to die.

Knowing full well what this crap is... I can smell the tomato, garlic from it. Hell, it is a tomato bomb with oregano crust, garlic seasoning, rancid meat, and death all rolled into one.

I gotta drain pour it. I refuse to give a second taste to see if I can pick out any other flavors.

2.48/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This Isnt very good.

A - cloudy amber no head.

S - diacetyl. That's it. Oh well.

T - mild spice, basil and tomato. But really, it's a bland buttery flavor.

M - fairly smooth, medium body. Alright...

D - well I dint really like it, but I'll finish a four ounce pour.

2.56/5  rDev -5.5%

A-yellow with nice carbonation with a white head that quickly disapates
S-smells like tomato and basil. Smells like pizza dare I say...
T-tastes alot like it smells. Not terrible but definetly glad I got to taste it
M-light bodied and smooth. Crisp
D-not terrible, but not close to the greatest...

1.98/5  rDev -26.9%

Pours a murky orange. a bit of white head.. not really good looking. Smells like butter and wheat. maybe some tomato on the nose. Tastes sweet and buterry. Its kinda gross but I can definitely taste a bit of pizza in it. Wheat, tomato and oregano are fairly prominent. Its not awful but its certainly not good...

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer from Pizza Beer Company