Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer | Pizza Beer Company

Pizza Beer Company
Illinois, United States
mammamiapizzabeer.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

Added by orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008

3.5/5  rDev +29.2%

2.5/5  rDev -7.7%

1.5/5  rDev -44.6%

2.94/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

(the last bottle of this at Free Bridge Wine & Spirits - $2.99! - poured into a Chimay goblet)

A: hazy amber liquid - yeast-like sediment, but didn't notice anything chunky floating in it... a head forms, sort of, but quickly recedes into the beer - leaves a weak swirl in the middle... no lace

S: pizza sauce - no joke - oregano, tomato paste, a touch of garlic powder... not much basil, if any... a sort of pale ale base beer is detected mildly in the background... the aromas are moderately potent at first, but then later fade and the beer ends up smelling kind of bland

T: not as pizza-y as the smell... the oregano may stand out the most... sort of a hint of lightly-oily tomato paste... garlic is luckily almost nil... if the beer was sweet, i don't think i could've finished it all - thankfully, it's just a bland, dry, unhoppy/unspicy pale ale

M: quite light-bodied, weightless... perhaps a mild foamy wash - carbonation is relatively mellow

O: interesting to try - a novelty at best... this could actually be a lot better if they jacked up the spicing (this was likely an older bottle - this ain't flying off the shelves), maybe added a touch of sweetness and perhaps some toasted malt to enhance crust flavors... who knows?

3.32/5  rDev +22.5%

It looks like crap. There is what can only be described as "bits of crud" floating around in it.

It smells like BEER AND PIZZA.

The taste...I know it seems like it's what you should expect, but I cannot believe how much this beverage tasted like pizza and beer INDEPENDENTLY. Not beer-soaked pizza or a beer into which someone had dropped a slice. Beer...and pizza. I'm not even sure it was good--but it was amazing.

You can feel the crud bits in your mouth hole.

If I could go back and give myself advice last night, I would say "order it" every time (but just one, and only drink about 10 of the 16 ounces, which is exactly what happened).

3.75/5  rDev +38.4%

3.75/5  rDev +38.4%

2.8/5  rDev +3.3%

I was visiting my parents and saw a bottle of this at a local liquor store, and curiosity got the better of me. I could only handle a few sips of this beer, and yes it does kind of taste like pizza. I mostly remember tasting lots of oregano and a bit of tomato. The flavor wasn't awful, but just not what I would want in a beer. On the other hand, my husband found this beer to be rather delicious.

2.25/5  rDev -17%

1.5/5  rDev -44.6%

3.27/5  rDev +20.7%

I concept of this beer is equally awesome and laughable.
The aroma was actually pretty awesome. It says pizza beer and you expect something along the lines of pizza, but this really did smell like a slice of cheese pizza with oregano on it!
The taste was.. well.. actually what you would get on the nose, tomato sauce, basil, and a ton of oregano. I don't know why people say garlic, I got no garlic at all. It had a light taste, and the whole time I was drinking it, I was laughing at out they pulled this one off. It's definitely a pizza beer. I didn't dislike this beer, nor did I really really life it. You take it for what it is, a gimmicky, pizza beer.

I actually think I would love to have this with a slice of NY pizza. That would be awesome.

2.59/5  rDev -4.4%

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer pours a hazy straw color. Has a small head with okay retention and leaves low lacing.

I am pretty impressed by the aroma, really does smell like a pizza, and in a surprisingly good way. First notice garlic and marinara sauce, with basil, oregano, and yeasty pizza dough.

The tastes is also like a pizza, but unlike the aroma, this similarity is pretty bad. Taste starts with dough and marinara sauce (which is okay), then comes a gigantic wave of overwhelming garlic, then a devastating one-two punch of oregano and basil, with a lingering, coating, garlic stench aftertaste. Mouthfeel is average with above average carbonation.

The taste here is pretty damn bad, but the appealing aroma and overall novelty of this beer save it, but it's still pretty bad - worse than I expected. Glad I tried it, glad I never have to try it again. The aroma really is nice, though.

3.5/5  rDev +29.2%