Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer | Pizza Beer Company

Mamma Mia! Pizza BeerMamma Mia! Pizza Beer

Pizza Beer Company
Illinois, United States | website

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

Added by orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008

Reviews: 167 | Ratings: 322
3.5/5  rDev +25.4%

I got a single 16oz bottle from Woodman's in Janesville, WI in Summer 2012. Pours a cloudy copper orange color with slight head, but diminishes fast. Has a mild scent of oregano, basil, tomato, and garlic. Mmm, it'll remind you of a pizzeria! Taste is mild with tomato paste and garlic being the most noticeable ingredients. Really lives up to its name on the bottle. A slightly better than average beer with a really unique taste. *As a side note, Chef Tom is a really cool and nice guy who makes a lot of different pizza based products that are delicious.

2.57/5  rDev -7.9%

473ml bottle poured into a 20oz snifter... close enough to a wine glass.

A - Poured as hard as possible yielding three, maybe five, seconds of head before it fizzled out completely. Dense amber-orange with ample haziness. Kind of like a DIPA with a bad head on it.

S - It's clear that the base of this beer before it was "transformed" into a pizza beer was nothing more than a lager. Oregano and tomato upfront. Not exactly "pizza" but more the spices of pizza. While this smells pretty much as advertised, I'm really not looking forward to this glass...

T - The base is still really lager-esque, but there's a lot of bready malt in here compared to the average lager. The pizza aspect feels a bit disjointed here, with the spices coming through too early and leaving the finish rather bland and watery. I commend the brewers for actually infusing flavors of pizza into the beer, but with a novelty beer like this I expected a more pronounced pizza flavor. No one is taking this seriously anyways, so why not go all out and really put some spice into this thing?

M - Medium carbonation but a painfully watery body. Not much to analyze here...

D - It's decent for what it is, but it really isn't much. Definitely worth trying once, but nothing worth seeking out ever again.

3.17/5  rDev +13.6%

A - clear golden, thumb of white head retained at a thin covering, lots of bubbles rising from the bottom
S - definitely smells of a herb & garlic tomato sauce as advertised, hints of adjunct and grains
T - reminds me of a canned pizza sauce, including a little bit of the can in the taste, the oregano and garlic really hang around, maybe even a little too long. As far as beer flavours, adjunct and grains like the nose
M - a typical thin adjunct lager feel
O - it starts promising but gets a little blah towards the end, but big points for creativity, a must try for the novelty factor

2.53/5  rDev -9.3%

473ml bottle poured into pint glass 8/4/12

A hazy golden orange with loads of sediment and bubbles with just a thin film for head and a few patches of lace

S it is what it claims, basil, oregano, garlic and tomato puree leave me fairly confused, not like anything I've ever encountered before. The more I smell it the more I want a pizza, not necessarily in my glass just in general

T a little bready and top of what I smell but its nowhere near as strong and I'm not sure if that's good or bad, well on second thought its pretty bad I think I preferred the pizza smell opposed to the beery pizza flavor

M thin and a little foamy with a herbal aftertaste, go figure

O really? pizza beer? I can't even think of what I could do with this one in the kitchen. That being said it didn't hit my drain but I think by the end I was drinking it out of curiosity

a food beer perhaps? I really can't think of what would inspire anyone to brew this, well pizza I suppose. A must try beer, travel, trade, kill, steal, whatever it takes everyone should try this one

2.55/5  rDev -8.6%

From a 473 ml brown bottle, abv listed as 4.7% on import label tag. Pours out a cloudy honey hue, dense frothy white head that slowly settles to a thick cap.

The aroma reveals notes of garlic, oregano, dry basil, sage, surprisingly some tomato, and a malty base that seriously resembles pizza dough.

Mild bready malt base up front in the flavour, quickly overpowered by the spicy bite of too much oregano, and a bit too much garlic, while everything else seems to get drowned out behind them.

Mouthfeel starts out with a medium-bodied creamy fullness, thins out a bit, then finishes with a spike of intense pin-prickly carbonation.

While not quite a sink pour, I can't say that this stuff really does anything for me, and I sure took my time finishing off the glass. May do a bit better when served with food, however I'm in no huge rush to find out.

3.05/5  rDev +9.3%

16oz bottle. Sorry, I'm not sullying any wine glass of mine with this potential gag-bomb of a beer, thrice passed over in recent trips south of the 49th.

This beer pours a hazy medium golden yellow colour, with one finger of foamy off-white head, which leaves very little of note in terms of lace around the glass as things sulk away.

It smells of oregano, garlic, and tomato - pizza, as duly promised, all beer considerations aside. The taste is surprisingly an agreeable dance between pizza and lager - bready (from which source, it is a mystery) malt, and standard pie spice - the proclaimed oregano, garlic, and weak tomato sauce. Any superfluous hops just get doused in the hard to hate pasta goodness (I know!) that is somehow evoked here.

The carbonation is average, just a few bubbles here and there, with a middling pasta-influencing weight, and weirdly agreeable smoothness. It finishes pizza-friendly, for sure, and a bit less on the standard basic malted lager side of things.

Not the hot mess I had anticipated, and a damned sight better as a lead-in to the sexy local indie pizza option that just rang the buzzer for all my Saturday night gustatory needs...coming!

2.06/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

P: 16 fl oz bottle in to an imperial pint

A: SRM is golden yellow with a slightly red tinge. Lots of sediment floating around. Translucent. Heavy carbonation. Light lacing.

S: Smells like pizza. Oregano, pizza dough, mozzarella cheeze, tomato sauce, garlic, and herbs.

T: Light herbs, garlic, pizza dough, tomato sauce, and mozzarella cheeze. It's like I'm taking a bite of pizza, chewing it up, taking a big chug of lite, flavorless beer, and then swallowing the whole thing. Watery taste. Aftertaste is of pizza.

M: Light body. Herbs and other ingredients give a mf akin to food. Overall, beer is very watery.

O: Not the worst beer I have ever had, but very close. Maybe this was a cool idea to whomever thought this up, but the execution of this idea is lacking to say the least. The one good thing about this beer is that it does smell like pizza, and that's kinda cool. Otherwise, not good. The beer is not appealing to look at, the taste is like watered down pizza, and beer should not taste like mozzarella cheeze and tomato sauce. The mouthfeel was of a BMC beer. Please do not make any more of this beer.

1.99/5  rDev -28.7%

Reviewed from notes. Saw bottles (a lot actually) at the Sharp Edge in Crafton and decided to split it 3 ways with 2 friends. Poured into a snifter...

A - Pours a hazy, pale gold color. Some red hues when held to the light. No real head to speak of.

S - Well. I guess it smells like pizza? There's Italian spices and some tomato for sure. But the vegetal aspect mixed with a seemingly acidic aroma doesn't make it the most appealing scent.

T - You can taste the wheat, tomato and oregano for sure. But they're not really tastes I want in a beer. There's a buttery aspect of it that doesn't really help the vegetal flavors that I am not liking all that much.

M - Light bodied and relatively smooth. This was probably the "best" aspect of the beer.

O - Well, I had to try it and I did. But I will never go back to it again. I guess I was expecting something different. Although what else could you expect from a beer called "pizza beer?"

1.34/5  rDev -52%

Got this beer from a friend and we were pretty excited on trying this new beer out. It was poured into two pint glasses. It looked like an average beer without any head. It's very hazy and you can see the herbs( I'm pretty sure it wasn't yeast floating around).It's aroam is very vinegary, i reminded me of a mixture of Worchestershire sauce and red vinegar mixed together and the taste resembled the aromas down to a "T". I would say try this beer if you have an adventurous spirit, otherwise just stay away from it, it really requires an accquired taste.

2.75/5  rDev -1.4%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

I've been wondering about this beer ever since being repulsed by the sound of it years ago. Time to take it down, once and for all. It pours a lightly hazy orange-amber topped by a finger of dirty off-white foam. The nose comprises peppery cantaloupe, light basil, cilantro, dark greens, and lemon zest. It's not very pizza-like, but it's also not all that great-smelling, either. The taste is where the pizza comes in: notes of watered-down tomato juice, basil, plenty of garlic, light biscuit, black pepper, coriander, and a hint of what seems like it could be Swiss cheese. Most of this hits in the front, but then fades away into a sort of spicy melon flavor, complete with rind-y bitterness. The body is a rather light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly watery feel. Overall, this beer could have been horrific. Instead, it comes across as muddled, watery, thin, and generally uninspired, despite the cooky idea.

3.27/5  rDev +17.2%

A: Deep gold - almost orange in color. Very cloudy. Frothy carbonation that clings to the sides of the glass.

S: It smells just like pizza - I didn't expect that. Tomato, basil, garlicy... well, it's like sticking your nose in a pizza.

T: This beer really does taste like pizza sauce - it's not a gimmick, which surprised me. Garlic, tomato and marinara overtones. The only thing missing is cheese and pepperoni.

M: bubbly carbonation, not as thick as it looks.

O: I was surprised how much this actually smells and tastes like pizza sauce. It's a novel idea and quite good, but I'm not sure if I'd want to drink it very often... it's a little confusing to drink a pizza - I'd almost rather just cut to the chase and eat a piece of real pizza and drink a wheat beer to compliment it.

3.15/5  rDev +12.9%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: orange amber color with a minimal white head

smell: tomato, garlic,

taste: tomato, basil, garlic,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: reminds me sort of like a tomato soup flavor. not a terrible beer just different. Glad I finally got to try it.

Cheers,
The CPJ

Pizza beer? Oh man, I love pizza… I love beer. There’s no way this tastes like pizza. But apparently they use the same spices as… As pizza. I mean, I love pizza, name the toppings. I like the meats, and the veggies. As a matter of fact, I really enjoy BBQ pizza. The best pizza ever is the BBQ pizza from Pizza Hut. Alright, what’s the beer smell like?

Holy cow, it smells like pizza. What the heck… It literally smells like pizza. You know the smell when you walk into an Italian restaurant… Not just any Italian restaurant but the small local places owned and operated by an Italian. So if it smells like pizza, does that mean it tastes like pizza?

Um… The beer tastes like pizza. No… It tastes like pizza. What in the world do they use to make this beer taste like pizza… The spices apparently. I might not order this again, unless I was ordering it with a pizza. But man, calling this a pizza beer was dead on.

Sip it… Unless you like shoving a whole piece of pizza in your mouth!

2.71/5  rDev -2.9%

A- Pours a cloudy amber with no head

S-Smells of basil and tomato sause

T- tastes like you are drinking watered down tomato sause.

M-Medium to light bodied with ok carbonation

D-Overall this was drinkable for about 8 oz then the last 4 were gross. It was werid but not horrible. Prob wont ever seek this out again but it was good to try liquid pizza once

1.89/5  rDev -32.3%

A: Pours a slightly cloudy, pale golden color with a lot of visible carbonation and a foamy tan head.

S: Uh oh. This smells like a pizza. Or more like the sauce of a pizza that's been left in the box for about a day. I get a lot of tomato, oregano and basil.

T: Gross. Basil and tomato along with hints of grain and yeast. Honestly, don't try this. It's nearly undrinkable. So much pizza flavor here that it's nearly unbearable. This was a drainpour after about three sips.

1.14/5  rDev -59.1%

5/21/2011

Thanks Terri! Poured into a tasting glass. It smells like an alien pizza sauce. Huge tomato and basil notes blend with oregano and garlic. The vegetal character is just horrendous. Awful smell. The flavor is just as bad, with a brutal blast of oregano and basil with a disgusting artificial tomato flavor. Epicly bad stuff.

1.06/5  rDev -62%

Just a cool looking bottle poured into my pint glass here.... Unfortunately, it is REALLY hard to blind some Sprecher beers. I was completely unaware until I grabbed it from the fridge and stupidly looked down at why the bottle was rough to my fingertips. Good thing I hadn't had much by them though, so this will be fun to try and guess what I got.

A- Pretty sad looking to be honest. Every glass I tried got just the barest hint of a head to form that was off-white in color. Good amount of carbonation above the honey, amber body.

S- Meaty... a bit of apple. Oh fu**.. I want to vomit. The smell of asparagus, rancid popcorn, stale bread. It just starts going nasty all over. I thought it was my glass and tried three different ones. Sulfur starts to be the mainstay at the end though. Just... can't... smell.. any more. Must.. destroy every batch... from 2008.. of this beer.

T- Makes me gag... I can barely get a couple drinks in of this beer. I've never had something this horrendous in flavor. The sulfur comes out strong, apple next.. some rancid sweet meat flavors after that. Holy fudge.. Mike wants to kill me.

M- Thin crisp.. I... I can barely manage to let it rest in my mouth for a moment. It causes instant puckering of my mouth in gag power.

D- Have you ever taken a drink of something.... so awful... so nasty... that your entire neck tenses up... your mouth purses begging to spit it out and you have to punch your leg to keep this liquid in your mouth just to judge the oral qualities of it?

That barely begins to describe the torture of this beer. Without a doubt.. the worst experience I have ever had with any food ever. I think the few drinks have caused me to be nauseous. I feel dizzy.. woozy from the experience. It is from 2008, day 81 of the year, batch 1419.

Sprecher... WTF! It is Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer.... God, I want to die.

Knowing full well what this crap is... I can smell the tomato, garlic from it. Hell, it is a tomato bomb with oregano crust, garlic seasoning, rancid meat, and death all rolled into one.

I gotta drain pour it. I refuse to give a second taste to see if I can pick out any other flavors.

2.48/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This Isnt very good.

A - cloudy amber no head.

S - diacetyl. That's it. Oh well.

T - mild spice, basil and tomato. But really, it's a bland buttery flavor.

M - fairly smooth, medium body. Alright...

D - well I dint really like it, but I'll finish a four ounce pour.

2.56/5  rDev -8.2%

A-yellow with nice carbonation with a white head that quickly disapates
S-smells like tomato and basil. Smells like pizza dare I say...
T-tastes alot like it smells. Not terrible but definetly glad I got to taste it
M-light bodied and smooth. Crisp
D-not terrible, but not close to the greatest...

1.98/5  rDev -29%

Pours a murky orange. a bit of white head.. not really good looking. Smells like butter and wheat. maybe some tomato on the nose. Tastes sweet and buterry. Its kinda gross but I can definitely taste a bit of pizza in it. Wheat, tomato and oregano are fairly prominent. Its not awful but its certainly not good...

1.09/5  rDev -60.9%

Bought this bo-go at my local consumers beverages store. Poured from 16 oz bottle to a pint glass.

A- Very cloudy dark yellowish, muddy almost. Did not look good at all.

S- The smell was repugnant, like pure vinegar, wretched almost made me not want to even sip it.

T- I never tasted anything as bad as this, it was disgusting, tasted as it smelled vinegar. Vinegar? Who the hell wants to drink vinegar? Not me, really couldn't taste anything else.

M- Gross, spit it right out.

D- This is not drinkable at all and shouldn't be on shelves in a beer store. I've read a few reviews of this beer, and people have said it "actually tasted like pizza", now, I dunno if i had a bad batch of this or something but that would have to be some shitty pizza. I would never buy or sip this again not even as a gag, or on a bet.

3.19/5  rDev +14.3%

Thanks drizzam!

A - Light, bubbly, quick-lived, eggshell colored head. The body is pale reddish copper colored and transparent with a strong amount of rising bubbles.

S - It has the aroma of a nicely spiced marinara sauce with a backdrop of malty brew. It reminds me of the dipping sauce that comes standard with a frozen pizza fries.

T - Well, for a spiced beer it tastes rather mild. There is a hint of spice throughout with a finish tasting a bit of oregano.

M - It has a fine coarseness to it. Remarkably, this brew goes down easily and at a rather quick pace.

~ At the very least this is a very interesting brew. I'm told this beer is no longer made, so if you see one on the shelf at your local brew store, you probably want to nab one, even if only for the sake of saying you gave it a try.

2.82/5  rDev +1.1%

Oh boy...not sure why I bought this one, but here goes nothing.

A - Pours a hazy amber color with tiny chunks of black sediment held in suspension. A very thin cap of white froth for a head, with no lacing.

S - Surprisingly it smells like fresh pizza. Tomato paste and some unidentifiable herbs are present, almost seems like you can smell a doughy character in there as well. Doesn't smell unpleasant I guess.

T & M - Well, it's pizza beer...and it tastes like pizza. The tomato didn't dominate as I would have expected from the aroma...instead it seems the pizza spices have taken center stage. Oregano, basil and garlic provide the flavor base, with a bit of tomato and bread acting as accentuating characters. Light bodied and finishes fairly crisp.

D - This beer is a novelty item in my opinion, but a fairly well done novelty item. They were aiming for fresh pizza flavors and they achieved that with flying colors. Does that mean I want to ever drink this beer again? Probably not. As a matter of fact, I'm not so sure I'm going to be able to finish this one.

1.11/5  rDev -60.2%

Poured into a wine glass on 12/23/10

MbpBugeye made me drink this; don't let him tell you otherwise

Let's get head retention out of the way: there isn't much of it; just a thin film & a minute collar. The color is that of nectar thickened apple juice while at rest, only cloudier & with more grainy sediment. Murky. Unpleasant.

This may be the worst smelling beer with which I have ever been plagued, second only to Hell or High Watermelon. Vomit, rotten tomato juice, Bare Tree 2007, landfill, sun-dried roadkill. Overpowering oregano & basil just make it worse. Dough. Truly awful.

The treachery of the aroma doesn't entirely carry over to the flavor but, man, this is not good. Processed cheese, oregano, basil, faint tomato, the burden of knowledge, self-loathing, squandered chances, wasted years, shame. It makes you question the choices you've made, how your life wound up like this & why you hurt the ones you love.

Thin & watery feel. Carbonation is average. Granular sediment is appreciable & unappreciated. Thankfully the finish is somewhat clean, with minimal residuals.

I fear I'll now have nightmares of rotten cheese, dough yeast, water, spoiled tomato paste, cut-rate herbs & a blender. This beer is what happens when your garbage disposal hates you.

1.08/5  rDev -61.3%

"A beer so good it deserves a wine glass!" So I brought out two wine glasses and split this with ryan011235, for which he was very excited.

Quite honestly I knew I was going to need help with this one. But in full disclosure this was on my wants for a while.

A- this beer hardly makes an attempt to look like beer. It has a strange pinkish hue (to borrow one from Seinfeld). It makes it look like a tainted glass of grapefruit juice.

S- Let this beauty warm to its proper serving temperature and you are greeted with large wafts of garbage and vomit. I guess I'm getting pizza spices but they come across as old, cold spaghetti-o's or the sauce from those gross pizza lunchables. Honestly it smells like a 5 year olds lunch box, only worse.

T- I can't say that this beer has invited me to take a drink. Ryan and I are in a stalemate over who will take the first taste... Its always me... After a considerable attempt at psyching myself up and while telling ryan he has to taste it to finish thre review, I finally got past the smell and hurried took a gulp. Thankfully the flavor isn't as powerful as the nose, but the fact that its flavors are detectable at all make this beer repulsive.

Some how there is a lot of cheese. Disgusting, processed cheese. Sun-rotten tomatoes, stomach acid, and rubber. It tastes like the floor of the kitchen at Hound Dogs pizza.

M- I'm guessing the base beer is some simple, cheap lager. It has that dry, overly prickly, ultra light body. Thing is it's body is slowed down by an oily, cheesy feeling.

D- I can't drink this. When your brain is utterly terrified to tage a sip because of the stench, it is very difficult to finish a glass.

In the case of BA reviewers being way too generous, this is exhibit A.

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer from Pizza Beer Company