Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer | Pizza Beer Company

Pizza Beer Company
Illinois, United States
mammamiapizzabeer.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

Added by orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008

Reviews: 167 | Ratings: 322
2.18/5  rDev -21.9%

NO WAY! "Pizza Beer is a debris free product" they claim. Ours had plentiful chunks of tomato and tomato skin floating and settling at the bottom along with a cloudy appearance akin to an unfiltered wheat beer.

Saw this on the beer list at Sharp Edge in Crafton PA and had to try it. I can't consider this to be any more than a novelty beer, it would be difficult to imagine that anyone actually would seek this out and drink it on a regular basis.

I generally rate beers on whether they succeed in their style category, rather than on my own subjective likes or dislikes. But this beer fails on all accounts, in my evaluation.

A= hazy pale straw with bits of red tomato flakes floating around and gradually settling. Hardly any head.

T= pure wretched stomach acid! And some hints of Italian spices. Calling it "beer" is a stretch of the imagination because it doesn't have any of the traits or qualities of even a crappy macro. After it settles for a while, the acidic effect seems to diminish but it still takes some searching to find the Italian spices.

M= like chewing on a dirty gym sock, I suppose.

D= this stuff reminds me of the time I was out somewhere having pizza and cheap macro beer which I'd half-finished, and was full of pizza so I shoved the last bit of the slice into the plastic beer cup. Then I decided a few minutes later that I wanted one last gulp of beer, and it had some fairly noriceable pizza flavor, not bad. Actually, that was much much better than this intentionally-brewed "pizza beer."

SUGGESTION-- if you're curious what this beer tastes like, do your own thing like I did, and shove some pizza into a half-full glass of beer and let it sit for a few minutes, then take a few gulps. It'll most likely be better than this beer. Plus, you have the advantage of choosing your own decent beer, and your own favorite style of pizza. I'd avoid the anchovies ;-)

1.64/5  rDev -41.2%

thanks for the extra! Split among friends, poured into SA Chocolate Bock tulip.

A- Bland boring yellow pour with a fizzy head that fizzes out quickly. Very poor pour.

S- Aroma is that of a pizza. Can't knock it here.. smells like garlic and tomato.

T- Bready, watery, slight vegetable notes. Grainy. Terrible base beer is accentuated with disgusting flavors- I burped due to the high carbonation and was greeted with tomato and garlic flavors. No thanks.

M- High carbonation, super light body.

D- Drainpour of my 1/3 of the bottle. Could not/would not drink again. My buddy was the only one who liked it and ended up drinking all the samples. But he also paid money to see 'Dragon Wars' in theatres, so his judgement is in question.

3.96/5  rDev +41.9%

Thanks to domtronzero for this one.

I've been wanting to try this beer since I first read about it a few years ago, so I was very excited to try it when it came in.

This is a tough one for me to review. I gotta be honest, it was hard to enjoy it, but it's exactly what it advertises itself to be. The beer tastes like pizza. Sicilian pizza to be exact (the one without cheese, usually square shaped).

It took me nearly an hour to finish the beer. The aftertaste took a day or two to go away. I ended up drain pouring the last bit out.

I'd say it's a novelty beer, but something I think everyone should try at least once. I'd like to have a case at my house just to make guests drink it, because it tastes that much like a pizza.

4.26/5  rDev +52.7%

Okay, I reviewed this NOT based on whether it is delicious or not, but based if it was good forthis STYLE, which is a pizza beer. Sooo... Thanks AlleyKatKing for the bottle, was wanting to try this one for a while.

Pours a cloudy golden yellow. Smells like pizza! Straight up like tomato paste, garlic and oregano, wow they nailed it. Tastes like fucking pizza! If you were to take a pizza combo, liquify it and turn it into a beer, this would be it. Basil, garlic, the whole deal. I could barely finish this. I love pizza but there's something real weird about drinking it. They nailed it though.

2.11/5  rDev -24.4%

Appearance: Mostly golden and a bit brown. No carbonation. Some particles floating around as well.

Smell: I actually love the smell of this. Lots of oregano and tomatoes, and the beer itself gives a nice yeasty pizza dough aroma.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Definitely pizza. In honestly, it's not that bad at first. Pizza Beer goes too far with the tomato. Beer on its own is quite acidic, but the tomato gives this an unbearable sourness and acidic aftertaste. As far as the feel, it's fairly watery and uninspiring.

Drinkability: The sourness makes this hard to swallow.

Overall: A nice try at a novelty beer, but it misses the mark. I would definitely use this when making pizza dough in lieu of water.

3.27/5  rDev +17.2%

Had a chance to try a small taste of this oddball beer over a year ago at an 'April Fools' tasting; couldn't resist snagging a bottle on a late April trip to Chicago. Haven't been able to convince anyone to help drink it since, so today's the day to open. Because the label proclaims: "Beer So Good It Deserves... A WINE GLASS!", I poured the first few ounces to...a wine glass. The rest of the twist-capped 16 oz. bottle went into a standard pint.

"Original Seefurth Family Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer [feat. Chef Tom & Chef Athena] - Ale Brewed with Oregano, Basil, Tomato & Garlic" ~ brewed/bottled by Sprecher.

A: Vibrant golden with a fine unfiltered haziness cut by a loose swirl of carbonation. It's not like a yeasty fall-out, no chunky bits or anything - just a cloudy veil of tiny bits hanging in the glass. Brief head, maybe a 1/2 finger of fizzy whiteness at its best that dwindles but lasts as a broad cream ring. Sliding lace, nothing sticks.

S: Bready aroma of wheat dough and grassy/floral herbs, nothing too heavy. Yeah, there's a bit of tomato and a mild but pungent garlic clove ~ Enticing! A pleasant honeyed sweetness at its core, reminds me of a better-than-average Golden/Blonde Ale.

T: Interesting flavor (no surprise), plenty of yeast and light cereal grain/corn upfront, then the spice/herb 'reveal'. Nothing egregious here, just subtle 'pizza' hints, green and herbaceous, light sugared fruit (berry vs. tomato?) and enough bitterness to give balance. The dating of this beer is uncertain (purchased 2.5 months ago), with a code reading '093241005' lasered onto the neck. Regardless, the end result is quite nice right about now...

M: Crisp and 'bright', an active but not overly-abundant carbonation. Body is light/medium, a touch on the sticky/malty side in the finish, a little oiliness too. Herbs/spices leave a tingle and zest.

D: Light ABV and a pretty pleasing taste (at least at this stage of its life)...know what? I'd buy/drink this again, absolutely. I enjoy trying unusual/experimental beers [see my previous review for Uncommon's Bacon Brown]; this is one of the better curiosities I've had. Worth a try.

2.32/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a two finger white head that vanishes quickly leaving no lace. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Hazy amber color. Nose is tomato and spice. Flavor is not pizza, it is doughy, some hops. I like pizza and beer but not together. Not worth $2.99 for a 16oz bottle from Liquorama Upland, CA.

2.5/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Pours a clean yellow to orange-ish color with a small white head. In the aroma, basil, tomato, and garlic. It kind of smells like pizza sauce. In the taste, garlic, basil, and well, it kind of reminds me of drinking spaghetti sauce. A spicy bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry tomato and basil aftertaste. Big flavors, but odd. I like pizza, I like beer, but this was not right.

1.89/5  rDev -32.3%

pours a lively hazed amber with highlights of straw and a half inch fizzy white head that quickly dissipates. the smell is bold pizza sauce, which basically included oregano, garlic, bad tomatoes, and bready crusts. so... the goal was reached, but this is not appetizing to me. the tomato i got was more like ketchup (which doesn't go too well on pizza) and the sour yeast smell in the backround just jarred the senses. it was like getting sea sick smelling a beer. i knew it was a beer, but my brain started over loading. the flavor is very light and thankfully doesn't translate the smell. i just get bready yeast and very grainy corn adjunct that is short and stinging. it had a garlic aftertaste, which would be ok if it wasn't a friggin' beer. i need to go brush my teeth. i was the only one in the room of five that finished the beer.

2.48/5  rDev -11.1%

Found at High Time in Costa Mesa, a rarity I was surprised to find.

A cloudy amber colored beer with a sparse white head.

Smells weird. Pizza dough and spices but not really like pizza. Fennel, tomato and oregano are the only ones I can identify.

Starts out just beer with a little fennel. You can taste oregano and tomato but it is really just a trace. Decent bitterness.

Mouthfeel is average.

There is something vaguely nauseating about this beer, probably why Italy doesn't brew beer with tomatoes or garlic in it. A novelty beer you will only want to taste once.

3.77/5  rDev +35.1%

Poured from 16oz bottle. The review on this one is based on the style and not personal preference....although I must say this is an interesting beer.

A- Pours a murky orange amber color. One finger white head that stays around for a short while. No real lacing at all...some streaks but all fall back into the glass.

S- Well this pretty much smells like it should. Rich in pizza dough, oregano, basil, with some light oxidation to it as well. There is some light tomato in this that I can pick up on in the ending.

T- This tastes like a pizza almost dead on. Light oxidation on the front end of this but the pizza flavors overtake it. An interesting beer to say the least. There is a light pils flavor in this as well. The yeasty dough comes through more than I would like but I couldn't really complain.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Dough flavor left on the palate with some basil, and oregano in the aftertaste. Flavors were clean and somewhat crisp. Very light with so many flavors going on.

D- This is a interesting beer to say the least. I wouldn't drink a whole lot of this but for a beer to deliver what it set out for...well it hit the head on the nail.

3.21/5  rDev +15.1%

16 oz. bottle poured into a wine glass

A: Murky amberish orange with a thin white head. No lacing as you drink, but a good retention on the head.

S: Exactly as advertised: pizza. Tomato, oregano, basil, pizza dough, the whole nine yards. Like sticking your nose in a fresh pizza. I swear I smell green olives!

T: Tomato, pepperoni, garlic, olives, dough, even kind of salty. Liquid pizza! And like the last reviewer said, "background of pils type malt and wheat". Definitely not like any beer I have ever had before.

M: Little carbonation. Rather laight, not unlike a pils or lager. But not too weak.

D: Let's face it, you're going to get this for the same reason I got it: novelty. Drinkability doesn't really play into it. But it is what is is advertised as, pizza beer. If you like fresh pizza, you're probably going to find this drinkable. Even if it is a bit unusual tasting for a beer. Not bad at all. I could see myself drinking another one of these or two.

3.5/5  rDev +25.4%

16 oz. bottle from Hi-Times,

A: Pours a cloudy yellow orange with a fizzy white head with good retention.

S: Oregano, tomatoes, basil, pizza crust. Smells like a pizza for sure.

T: Tomato and garlic with a background of pils type malt and wheat. Not a bad flavour, very unique.

M: Thin and fizzy, light lager feel. Soft carbonation.

D: An interesting experiment, it is what it says it is - it tastes and smells like pizza. Hard to put a drinkability score as it's so strange, but definitely worth a pick up just for the experience.

3.64/5  rDev +30.5%

A: poured a golden yellow with a half finger head and a little lacing that stuck to the glass.

S: I couldn't believe that I could actually be able to get a scent of a pizza in a beer. I was getting tomato and pepperoni and hints of the basil in the nose.

T: damn...the flavor is that of a calzone pizza with chunks of the tomatos, garlic and basil. It tasted pretty weird but I like beers that are unorthodox and bring creativity to the table.

M: light to meduim body with good carbonation that slices up the pizza.

D: I was blown away by how they could manage to flavor a beer with a pizza,very intresting. I think I was the only one that enjoyed this brew in the beer tasting that we had.

2.82/5  rDev +1.1%

A: Pale golden in color with almost no head but rather plentiful carbonation.

S: I was shocked that the nose was actually full of oregano, garlic, basil, and tomato sauce. I thought for a moment that this beer might actually be good.

T: The flavor is definitely pizza-y, but not necessarily in a good way. The basil and oregano flavors are indeed powerful along with some tomato and garlic. It doesn't really go with the watery, thin base beer, however.

M: Thin and watery with very plentiful carbonation. To be honest, this might be a little better without such a fizzy feel.

D: Drinking this beer was comparable to eating a stale hot pocket.

2.15/5  rDev -22.9%

Ok, long awaited review. Brought this to a beer tasting once, but never attempted drinking a whole bottle.

16 oz. bottle, random numbers on the neck, "9262" julian date on the bottom, leading me to believe this may be an August 2009 bottling.

Poured into a wine glass, it appears hazy orange at first, but turns a murky brown dishwater shade as the yeast/gunk is added. It has about a finger of white foam that lasts for a little bit with minor lacing.

Aroma seems a little muted from what I remember awhile back. Faint garlic and oregano. As it warms the tomato barely peeks out. Doesn't really scream "pizza" to me, more of a free association if anything.

Taking a big sip and swirling it around gets very little in the way of anything. Muddled salty dough and oregano blending with a very dull base beer. Vague dry herb in the aftertaste. Watery, bland, just terrible. Some light astringency, or is that tomato acidity? Eh, not something I want to contemplate for long.

Back to the drawing board on this one. Try Shorts Bloody Beer for a more successful example of a "culinary beer".

2.24/5  rDev -19.7%

A - When poured into a glass it was a dark amber with what appeared to be little peices of spices or something floating around in it.

S - Very heavy oregano type smell with a slight hint of tomatos.

T - Oregano type flavor is very overwhelming and overtakes any of the other "pizza" flavors

M - Supprisingly thin.

D - Only got about halfway through and couldn't stomach any more.

This was the worst beverage I have ever tasted in my entire life. It started with spices and chunks of things floating in the beer, and only got worse. I love pizza, I love beer, and this product is a desecration to both. I'm worried that in the future, when I eat a pizza or drink a beer, I may be reminded of the taste of this beer, and be forced to vomit. If you ever see this beer in a store or restaurant, leave immediately and never return. Never return.

If all the beer in the world except for this was destroyed by nuclear war, I would ferment and drink my own urine before opening another bottle of pizza beer.

1.23/5  rDev -55.9%

16 oz bottle poured into an Imperial Pint, not a "wine glass". 09324 on the neck.

A - Pours a hazy golden yellow with a thick two-finger white head. Solid retention and heavy lace on the way down the glass.

S - I got a whiff of pizza sauce when I screwed the cap off but after pouring it into the pint the first whiff made me gag. In fact every subsequent whiff gives me the same reaction. The nose is a horrific blend of spices and rotten tomatoes with a potent garlic scent. Underlying malt and barley present though. It really makes me want to vomit.

T - I'm gonna prepare myself for this by bringing my garbage can over cause I'm still nauseated by the nose... Mild pale malts behind an absolutely intolerable, revolting flavor. The tomato tastes rancid and spices make it worse. The garlic, which I normally love, is absolutely disgusting here.

M - I took one more sip for the mouthfeel and honest-to-god almost threw up. It's medium-light bodied and moderately carbonated with a spicy finish.

D - Two sips and down the drain with this god-awful pint of barfbeer. This has to be THE worst beer I've ever had in my entire life. I've never found a beer to be so undrinkable it's made me a whiff away from puking. I have no idea where they get off saying "Beer so good it deserves a wine glass." and honestly, I'm even more appalled Sprecher would a) sell it in their gift shop and b) use their logo-embossed bottles for this when they only contract brew it (which is why I won't tarnish Sprecher with a review this terrible). I love pizza, It's one of my favorites, don't get me wrong, but this is just awful.

2.3/5  rDev -17.6%

Appearance: Golden orange, 2 finger white foamy head. Decent lacing.

Smell: Tomato sauce. All the spices are there. Amazing but disgusting at the same time.

Taste: Yup, pure pizza sauce. Overpowering oregano and basil. I can't believe how much it really does taste like pizza.

Drinkability: Disgusting taste, amazing concept and style. I hope I never have to drink this again though.

1.06/5  rDev -62%

Stupidity in a bottle. Why does something like this exist? I read one of the reviews that said it smells like vomited beer and pizza. That about nails it. The taste is beyond words. What did I expect? It's beer with freaking basil, oregano and garlic in it. Garlic is not going to taste good in beer. That should be just about the most self-evident thing in the world. If you want an out of the ordinary conversation piece to put on a shelf, fine. But for the love of God don't open it.

1.39/5  rDev -50.2%

"From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic"

In bottle of my glass there was little pieces of shit, probably the spices...

Got this as from a guy at work. Thanks a bunch...Thankfully I didn't have the whole bottle to my self. Had about a 8oz pour and could only stomach 5 of it...

Pours a piss yellow hardly any head...I had this with pizza but the wrong kind, a crappy frozen pepperoni pizza I'm guessing should be with a big greasy garlicky Italian kind...Smelled like a hint of nasty garlic and pukey oregano./ Doesn't taste as bad as the smell but after you breathe again yikeS nasty!!!

So my motto is, if you don't like it...chug it...but not possible with with this garbage. DP! DRAIN POUR!!!!

3.99/5  rDev +43%

GLASS: Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees

I've been thinking about doing an ISO for this one for awhile now. It just intrigues me...not sure why. A recent trader happened to throw this bottle in as an extra! It wasn't even on my wants at the time. Well, here we go, I guess.

Okay, it pours a golden, yellow/orange color. (It tried to foam out of the bottle, upon opening, but I only lost about a mouthful.) The one-finger head of loose foam is white with a light orange tint to it. It recedes rather quickly. The lacing is okay, but it's very slick, so it doesn't stay around long.

I'm kind of stunned, now. This actually smells like pizza! You can pick out the notes of tomato, garlic and oregano fairly easily. The basil is not hard to find, either. You can smell the bread-like quality of pizza crust.
While the smell here is odd to associate with beer, it surely smells like they got what they were shooting for, so I have to score this category fairly high.

The spices are still easily spotted here. Oregano and garlic are now in the forefront, with tomato and basil pulling back a little bit. The crusty yeastiness is still here, as well.
Once again, scoring is based on my thought that they acheived what they were going for. It does taste like a pizza, inside of a beer.

Light-to-medium body on this one. It has a medium-to-high level of carbonation, which hurts it a little bit, IMO. You get a taste, on the back-end, that is similar to Alka Seltzer. I credit this to the carbonation combined with the spices.
The feel could be better.

To me, this is a novelty beer. I'm sure that there are people out there who like it, but I'm fine with just having this one. Okay, I guess that I'd probably like to have another one someday, but I can't see myself, or most other people, drinking these all night long.
Very interesting concept, but not really for me, I think.

EDIT: Over a week later and I find myself wishing that I had another one of these. Maybe it is for me, after all. Hope to get the chance to grab a few of these in a couple of months, when I vacation up north.

3.12/5  rDev +11.8%

I have not so secretly been wanting to try this beer for a really long time. It is not normal and I think a good descriptor of this beer is that its interesting but not good. Its always hard to write these reviews, on one hand, I am conflicted. Did they make a beer that is flavored like a pizza? Yes, yes they did. Did they present it in a format that successfully launches a beer that is drinkable and pleasant? No, no they did not. I will thoroughly describe the beer and rate it based on my personal enjoyment.

Beer poured from the bottle into a pint glass (they say use a wine glass but give me a break). Beer is dark yellow / reddish in color and this one is hazy. A thin white head forms and there is a lot of carbonation that props it up. The carbonation is of large bubbles but there is not lacing on the glass.

The aroma is a homerun as far as a pizza beer is concerned. Every time I take a sniff, it smells more like pizza. At first its the basils, then the oregano, the oregano dominates for the while but then I pick up on some tomoato sweetness. Pizza smelling beer? Success, congratulations.

The first taste is the worst. I was scared to take it, the oregano and the basil are there the most. I was expecting some sulfur from the garlic but it just wasn't there. The beer was a little sweet from the tomatoes, they are well represented in a muted way. I've had other beers that use basil, a Bison beer and Black Thai, but this is just odd. It really tastes like pizza sause. Its kind of incredible.

There is an unfortunate pizza aftertaste that really subtracts from the experience. Beer has medium to low body and lots of carbonation in the mouth, giving it the illusion of more body than it really has.

I didn't love it, I won't have it again, I don't regret it, I respect it. It tasted like pizza. Nicely done. Time to cross it off my list.

3.85/5  rDev +38%

16oz bottle picked up on clearance for 40 cents. drank out of my duvel tulip glass.

A- i didnt know what to expect, but this one pours out looking like a normal beer. clear golden colored body with a very small, quickly vanishing, white head. little to no lacing left behind.

S- it does manage to smell like a pizza. very odd. tomato sauce, herbs/spices, and garlic. unlike anything ive encountered before.

T- it also manages to taste a lot like pizza. garlic, basil, oregano, tomato....all present.

M- light bodied and highly carbonated.

D- definitely a one and done novelty beer. something thats nice to be able to say ive tried, but probably wont ever spend money on again. strangest beer ive ever had. i found this one a hard beer to score. its not something i was thrilled about, but the brewer started out with a plan for this one, and it was pulled off better than i would have expected.

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer from Pizza Beer Company