Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer | Pizza Beer Company

Mamma Mia! Pizza BeerMamma Mia! Pizza Beer

Pizza Beer Company
Illinois, United States

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

Added by orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008

Reviews: 167 | Ratings: 322
2.46/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I've read lots of negative comments on the boards about this beer. When I saw it sold by the bottle, I had to snag one.

I poured this into a goblet because it was close enough to a wine glass. Not sure how that would make a difference. The coloring is a yellowish/brown.

Off the top I get the basil and a particularly strong amount of funk. The tomato is a little strange, though.

The flavor is like fermented pizza sauce. I get the oregano, tomato, and basil in excess.

This beer should never have been made. I'm not surprised.

2.45/5  rDev -12.2%

Had to try this one, and rate it. Sprecher sure does make (and/or contract) some interesting brews that don't always pan out properly.
Looks like hazy clear apple juice. Thin white head. Pretty average. The nose is either a 5 or a 1, so I'll give it a 3. It really does smell like pizza sauce, which is quite disturbing. Old tomatoes, garlic, oregano, some basil... it's all there, and it's all quite odd. No hint of the crust and cheese though. Just canned pizza paste/sauce. So weird. Taste is lacking much of what was in the nose (which is probably a good thing). Mostly watery tomato beer, metallic, thin, with perhaps a slight white pepper taste. Not appealing. Too weird to drink much of it.

2.44/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

What am I getting myself into?

Pours hazy orange/red with a decent creamy white head.

Oregano bomb on the nose. Some bready malt peaks through with a little garlic, but oregano dominates.

More balanced in the flavor than aroma. Tastes like eating a cheesy breadstick with marinara. Oregano is once again strong, but garlic and bready malts stand out more with a weird tomato sweetness.

Medium body and a bit high on carbonation.

So they made what they set out to make. Congratulations? Really does taste like drinking a pizza albeit a pizza that was liberally dosed with oregano. I'm glad I got to try it for the novelty factor, but who in their right mind would willingly want one of these, much less drink anywhere close to a full bottle.

2.43/5  rDev -12.9%

pint bottle poured into a flute, as suggested by the label on the bottle. pours a semi hazy golden amber color with a half finger of off white head that remains for less than a minute.light lacings.

aroma is a mix of garlic, herb like spices, but not oregano or basil in particular, and a bit of tomato. a faint floral character is present as well, but little else.

taste is of oregano and tomato, with a bit of garlic. the distant floral character is still present, with an aftertaste of stale bread and residual grain. not impressive.

mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a light bite from CO2 and an odd garlic like mouthfeel in the aftertaste that is not tasty.

drinkablility is not too good. this is a unique mixture of flavors, which does not work well in a beer. the flavor says something like pizza, but even that is somewhat of a stretch.

2.32/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a two finger white head that vanishes quickly leaving no lace. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Hazy amber color. Nose is tomato and spice. Flavor is not pizza, it is doughy, some hops. I like pizza and beer but not together. Not worth $2.99 for a 16oz bottle from Liquorama Upland, CA.

2.3/5  rDev -17.6%

Appearance: Golden orange, 2 finger white foamy head. Decent lacing.

Smell: Tomato sauce. All the spices are there. Amazing but disgusting at the same time.

Taste: Yup, pure pizza sauce. Overpowering oregano and basil. I can't believe how much it really does taste like pizza.

Drinkability: Disgusting taste, amazing concept and style. I hope I never have to drink this again though.

2.24/5  rDev -19.7%

A - When poured into a glass it was a dark amber with what appeared to be little peices of spices or something floating around in it.

S - Very heavy oregano type smell with a slight hint of tomatos.

T - Oregano type flavor is very overwhelming and overtakes any of the other "pizza" flavors

M - Supprisingly thin.

D - Only got about halfway through and couldn't stomach any more.

2.18/5  rDev -21.9%

NO WAY! "Pizza Beer is a debris free product" they claim. Ours had plentiful chunks of tomato and tomato skin floating and settling at the bottom along with a cloudy appearance akin to an unfiltered wheat beer.

Saw this on the beer list at Sharp Edge in Crafton PA and had to try it. I can't consider this to be any more than a novelty beer, it would be difficult to imagine that anyone actually would seek this out and drink it on a regular basis.

I generally rate beers on whether they succeed in their style category, rather than on my own subjective likes or dislikes. But this beer fails on all accounts, in my evaluation.

A= hazy pale straw with bits of red tomato flakes floating around and gradually settling. Hardly any head.

T= pure wretched stomach acid! And some hints of Italian spices. Calling it "beer" is a stretch of the imagination because it doesn't have any of the traits or qualities of even a crappy macro. After it settles for a while, the acidic effect seems to diminish but it still takes some searching to find the Italian spices.

M= like chewing on a dirty gym sock, I suppose.

D= this stuff reminds me of the time I was out somewhere having pizza and cheap macro beer which I'd half-finished, and was full of pizza so I shoved the last bit of the slice into the plastic beer cup. Then I decided a few minutes later that I wanted one last gulp of beer, and it had some fairly noriceable pizza flavor, not bad. Actually, that was much much better than this intentionally-brewed "pizza beer."

SUGGESTION-- if you're curious what this beer tastes like, do your own thing like I did, and shove some pizza into a half-full glass of beer and let it sit for a few minutes, then take a few gulps. It'll most likely be better than this beer. Plus, you have the advantage of choosing your own decent beer, and your own favorite style of pizza. I'd avoid the anchovies ;-)

2.18/5  rDev -21.9%

A: Interesting looking beer, lots of champagne-like head, loads of bubbles lining the interior walls of the glass, medium copper, looks slightly anemic - 3.00, S: Geez, I'm struggling with this juxtaposition of beer and pizza, it truly smells like pizza, lots of oregano and even tomato paste, it's hard to pick out any elements of beer which push the rating scale down as far as a beer goes - 2.50, T: What little beer that comes through on the palate is macro and unappetizing, pizza flavors are very apparent, basil and oregano with the tomato sauce, maybe the slightest hint of hops - 2.00, M: Thin and lackluster body, even a touch oily - 2.00, D: I must be honest that I had very low expectations for this beer and the reality seemed to hold true, it's a gimmick that merits a taste and that's as far as it goes, I will not drink this beer again - 2.00

2.15/5  rDev -22.9%

Ok, long awaited review. Brought this to a beer tasting once, but never attempted drinking a whole bottle.

16 oz. bottle, random numbers on the neck, "9262" julian date on the bottom, leading me to believe this may be an August 2009 bottling.

Poured into a wine glass, it appears hazy orange at first, but turns a murky brown dishwater shade as the yeast/gunk is added. It has about a finger of white foam that lasts for a little bit with minor lacing.

Aroma seems a little muted from what I remember awhile back. Faint garlic and oregano. As it warms the tomato barely peeks out. Doesn't really scream "pizza" to me, more of a free association if anything.

Taking a big sip and swirling it around gets very little in the way of anything. Muddled salty dough and oregano blending with a very dull base beer. Vague dry herb in the aftertaste. Watery, bland, just terrible. Some light astringency, or is that tomato acidity? Eh, not something I want to contemplate for long.

Back to the drawing board on this one. Try Shorts Bloody Beer for a more successful example of a "culinary beer".

2.11/5  rDev -24.4%

Appearance: Mostly golden and a bit brown. No carbonation. Some particles floating around as well.

Smell: I actually love the smell of this. Lots of oregano and tomatoes, and the beer itself gives a nice yeasty pizza dough aroma.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Definitely pizza. In honestly, it's not that bad at first. Pizza Beer goes too far with the tomato. Beer on its own is quite acidic, but the tomato gives this an unbearable sourness and acidic aftertaste. As far as the feel, it's fairly watery and uninspiring.

Drinkability: The sourness makes this hard to swallow.

Overall: A nice try at a novelty beer, but it misses the mark. I would definitely use this when making pizza dough in lieu of water.

2.06/5  rDev -26.2%

(Served in an American pint glass)
The bottle says Sprecher in the glass

A- This beer has a hazy deep orange body with a big creamy beige head and is supported by a boiling carbonation of big bubbles.

S- The soft smell of tomato paste and dried herbs comes through in the smell with some slight salty cheese note as it warms. The smell is pretty clean but strong enough.

T- The big taste of pizza crust dominates the taste followed by a big tomato sauce flavor and a dry savory herb flavor at the finish. There is a dry mozzarella flavor in the background that comes through after a few sips.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a fizzy finish that enhances the tomato paste flavor.

D- I have been staring at this beer in the fridge for a few days a little scared to open it. It was not as horrific as I though but it was still gross, and I like pizza. The crust flavors were authentic but I don't like that in a beer and the tomato was spot on but I don't think I could drink a tomato beer. Interesting idea that should have stopped at that.

2.06/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

P: 16 fl oz bottle in to an imperial pint

A: SRM is golden yellow with a slightly red tinge. Lots of sediment floating around. Translucent. Heavy carbonation. Light lacing.

S: Smells like pizza. Oregano, pizza dough, mozzarella cheeze, tomato sauce, garlic, and herbs.

T: Light herbs, garlic, pizza dough, tomato sauce, and mozzarella cheeze. It's like I'm taking a bite of pizza, chewing it up, taking a big chug of lite, flavorless beer, and then swallowing the whole thing. Watery taste. Aftertaste is of pizza.

M: Light body. Herbs and other ingredients give a mf akin to food. Overall, beer is very watery.

O: Not the worst beer I have ever had, but very close. Maybe this was a cool idea to whomever thought this up, but the execution of this idea is lacking to say the least. The one good thing about this beer is that it does smell like pizza, and that's kinda cool. Otherwise, not good. The beer is not appealing to look at, the taste is like watered down pizza, and beer should not taste like mozzarella cheeze and tomato sauce. The mouthfeel was of a BMC beer. Please do not make any more of this beer.

2.05/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours a solid red with a white head. Nothing impressive, but nothing offputting about it, either.

Smells strongly of generic pizza seasoningss. Like, if you buy the stuff at the grocery store that's just labeled "Pizza Seasoning." Taragon, maybe. I think. Some light nodes of basil and oregano, too. Nothing beerish, but still not horribly unpleasant.

Tastes a little disturbing. You ever see that movie _The Polar Express?_ It's not very good. Anyhow, as you might know it was one of the first cellshaded movies. They shot it with live actors and then they animated over the actors, giving the movie a really weird, creepy feel. For some reason they dubbed over the voices. This one character was a little kid, and as it was actual film of an actual kid that had just had animation laid on top of it, the kid looked really realistic. But, like I said, his voice was overdubbed, it was high-pitched and nerdy and cartoonish. The voice was from some popular voiceactor who I've heard dozens of times before on different TV shows (he was Dexter's nemesis on "Dexter's Lab"). When that voice was used on cartoons it worked just fine. But when it was used in the Polar Express, when this ridiculous fake imitation of a child was coming out of the mouth of an actual child, the result was nothing short of terrifying. And that's pretty much how this beer is.

It's not helped out by a weak, thin body, either. Nor by the Italiano dyspepsia it gives you.

2.04/5  rDev -26.9%

A: Pours a golden hue with a nice foamy head. No lace.

S: Holy shit it smells like pizza, don't think that is necessarily a good thing though. Tomato paste with strong glaric. Hints of oregano as well.

T: Good thing it tastes better than it smells. The aroma is somewhat offputting but the taste better than I expected even though my expectations were nothing. malty flavors with hints of pizza herbs. Very light tomato and a touch of garlic. More beer than pizza which is a good thing.

M: Medium to thin in body, so so carbonation.

D: This is one I had wanted to try for novelty sake. I expected nothing and it is just above that. Not one you would drink more than one of and to be honest I would rather share. It would be best pared with an italian meal. If their goal was to create a drinkable pizza beer I would say they did it. Now the next problem will be finding people who are in the market for pizza beer...I'm not!

2.04/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

A: looks like a hefeweizen with a lighter yellow unfiltered color, little white colored head that reduces to nothing more than a rim.

S: Smells just like tomato pizza sauce. If this were an actual pizza I'd be drooling.

T: tastes like keystone light with a slice of pizza soaked in it... Aka Not good!

M: thin and almost soda like

D: zilch, I drain poured after three painful sips.

1.99/5  rDev -28.7%

Reviewed from notes. Saw bottles (a lot actually) at the Sharp Edge in Crafton and decided to split it 3 ways with 2 friends. Poured into a snifter...

A - Pours a hazy, pale gold color. Some red hues when held to the light. No real head to speak of.

S - Well. I guess it smells like pizza? There's Italian spices and some tomato for sure. But the vegetal aspect mixed with a seemingly acidic aroma doesn't make it the most appealing scent.

T - You can taste the wheat, tomato and oregano for sure. But they're not really tastes I want in a beer. There's a buttery aspect of it that doesn't really help the vegetal flavors that I am not liking all that much.

M - Light bodied and relatively smooth. This was probably the "best" aspect of the beer.

O - Well, I had to try it and I did. But I will never go back to it again. I guess I was expecting something different. Although what else could you expect from a beer called "pizza beer?"

1.98/5  rDev -29%

Pours a murky orange. a bit of white head.. not really good looking. Smells like butter and wheat. maybe some tomato on the nose. Tastes sweet and buterry. Its kinda gross but I can definitely taste a bit of pizza in it. Wheat, tomato and oregano are fairly prominent. Its not awful but its certainly not good...

1.91/5  rDev -31.5%

There is a nice honey gold coloring to it. It is cloudy, but not so cloudy you can't see through it. Almost no head formed when I poured it. What did was thin and white. It faded quickly leaving nothing on the top of the beer. There is also no lacing on the side of the glass at all.

The smell was something I had never experience in a beer before in my life. They did a decent job of capturing the smell of pizza. Unfortunately it smells like a cheap frozen pizza that someone sprinkled an Italian Seasoning blend on, but still Pizza. The Tomato, basil, oregano and Garlic really does overpower any other scent in the beer. What malts that can be detected blends with the other scents to give it kind of a doughy/crust scent. Now this may just be my imagination because of the type of beer it is and that was missing from the scent was pizza crust.

The taste is much like the scent. All you can really taste is the Tomato, Garlic and herbs that are added to it. There is also a bit of saltiness to it. Realistically this tastes like someone took a piece of the above cheap frozen pizza and let it soak in a keystone light for a while. The pizza tastes about washes out any standard ale flavors one would get. The aftertaste is a bit salty and overpower. Honestly, I couldn't imagine drinking this beer with anything other than maybe pizza.

This is a medium bodied beer. There is a light carbonation to it, but nothing biting.

Honestly, I can't believe I drank this whole beer. I've drank beers that are much worse than this, but not in a long time. I'm not sure if the people that make this novelty honestly think this is a good beer or if they make it as more for entertainment. IE, in college I had a friend that used to make the most god awful punch for parties; nobody liked it, not even him. Yet he made it for every party because inevitably it would get drank in its entirety because people would bet each other they couldn't drink it, or do the ol' switcharoo and give it to some unsuspecting individual. The fact that I drank this willingly just speaks volumes to how far I'll go to review a beer.

1.91/5  rDev -31.5%

This is one of the most bizarre beers I've had in ages. I can't even really give a very good review due to the fact that it's just ridiculous. I will try though.

A - Yellowish Orange Haze with barely any head that just goes away as soon as you blink.

S - Pizza. I can't even think of what else this has in it cause it just throws me off so much. It smells like sauce, cheese, and crust that's been cooked and sold by the slice.

T - Pizza. Everything that's going on in pizza is in this, which I bet is actually very difficult to do. Yet, it's not a good taste for a beer at all and therefore a bad idea...should never have been done.

M - really light for the amount of flavor it has. it's just a super watery finish that i don't care for by any means.

D - I would never drink this again, but I don't think I would stop someone from drinking it. It's just absolutely insanely weird and I think everyone should try this once.

1.89/5  rDev -32.3%

A: Pours a slightly cloudy, pale golden color with a lot of visible carbonation and a foamy tan head.

S: Uh oh. This smells like a pizza. Or more like the sauce of a pizza that's been left in the box for about a day. I get a lot of tomato, oregano and basil.

T: Gross. Basil and tomato along with hints of grain and yeast. Honestly, don't try this. It's nearly undrinkable. So much pizza flavor here that it's nearly unbearable. This was a drainpour after about three sips.

1.89/5  rDev -32.3%

pours a lively hazed amber with highlights of straw and a half inch fizzy white head that quickly dissipates. the smell is bold pizza sauce, which basically included oregano, garlic, bad tomatoes, and bready crusts. so... the goal was reached, but this is not appetizing to me. the tomato i got was more like ketchup (which doesn't go too well on pizza) and the sour yeast smell in the backround just jarred the senses. it was like getting sea sick smelling a beer. i knew it was a beer, but my brain started over loading. the flavor is very light and thankfully doesn't translate the smell. i just get bready yeast and very grainy corn adjunct that is short and stinging. it had a garlic aftertaste, which would be ok if it wasn't a friggin' beer. i need to go brush my teeth. i was the only one in the room of five that finished the beer.

1.82/5  rDev -34.8%

- ale brewed with oregano, basil, tomato, and garlic.

A: Dense orange with a feverish pitch of carbonation fills the vessel. The head is good, 2 finger solid, marshmellow structure, pearl white color with a sturdy show of retention. So far not bad.

S: Aroma of garlic and basil and tomato sauce (not sure if sauce is subliminal but sure is pronounced enough for me to think otherwise). Oregano and bread crust is dominant as well. There is a weird touch of pizza box lingering about. It smells like it should with a light to moderate level of awareness. Was it enticing? no. but what would you expect from this combination.

T: Flavor of sweet malt upfront, muted spicing, bread crust and basil come through. The nose was much more defined, a good thing or bad thing? I have to say with every approach just before you sip i would get a weird sensantion of warm pizza sauce, soggy cardboard, and throw up. The flavor and taste isnt nearly as bad as the approach, but from then on it comes off as damaged goods and is a big turn off. Warm pizza sauce and garlic hints upon warming.

M: Spritzy malty and saucy mouthful but in the end unimpressive. A bright spot of oranges upon the hold and swallow seems odd and misplaced, but somewhat of a welcome considering.

O: The beer started out interesting enough, sure i played along, an ok visual, an aroma of what was expected, though not necessarily enticing. In the end the flavor is what sends this over the cliff. Pizza and beer are fine individually, just not together. Overall a gag drink, that will no doubt make you gag in the end. A novelty sale only. Even dave's chilli creek was a bit more tolerabe then this one. Run, do not walk as far away as possible when you see this. A great gag gift for that snobbish beer drinker you dont like, how do you think i got a hold of this?

1.77/5  rDev -36.6%

So, I must confess I didn't have any pizza with this beer, but I must say that by itself I found it to be pretty awful. It smells a bit like cooked corn, and tastes like cooked corn and raw pizza dough, and I couldn't tell you the last time I had a craving for a beer that tasted like that.

It poured into my glass to reveal a straw-colored body which was cloudy and unappealing. There was no head. Aroma was a bit composte-like (mercaptan) and cooked corn (DMS). Flavor was where I got the pizza resemblence. The flavor was a raw dough flavor, which was reminiscent to me of the last time I played with Play-Do. There was some oregano flavor as well. Not good. Not drinkable.

I would not recommend this beer, regardless of what you're eating.

I split this bottle with SurlySober, who bought it as something of a lark.

1.69/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought this to give it a try. What the heck.

The smell was like sniffing a spice rack that had a stale beer dumped on it. The color *looked* like beer, with a slight red to it.

I took a swallow and thought I had accidentally got some orageno around the lip of my glass and was drinking a V8. Gag.

While not the worst beer I have ever tasted, it is now become the gag beer I take over the friends' beer events and sneak it into the mix.

Definitely not a beer to be taken seriously. Which may explain the unsold cases of it sitting around the Roundhouse in Aurora.

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer from Pizza Beer Company