Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer | Pizza Beer Company

Mamma Mia! Pizza BeerMamma Mia! Pizza Beer

Pizza Beer Company
Illinois, United States | website

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

Added by orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008

Reviews: 167 | Ratings: 322
3.29/5  rDev +17.9%

Had my first sample at a Sam's tasting on Saturday. I have sent many to my friends because they can't believe it.
A: Looks like watered down pizza sauce. I can't really knock it down too much for that. I mean, it is pizza flavored beer.
S: Smells great. Plenty of garlic and basil in the nose. As a long time pizza cook and lover, this smells like I thought it would. Almost no hop smell in there, but you can get a hint of malt.
T: Taste was ok, though I wish I had sampled with food. I had sampled a creamy stout right before this beer, so it was more harsh than it would normally be. I don't really think it tastes quite like pizza.
M: Slightly over-carbonated. It is light and crisp.
D: I could drink a few with a nice slice of deep dish. You definitely have to be hungry to truly appreciate this beer.

I did talk to Tom at the tasting. He seems to be very enthusiastic about brewing, and I hope he succeeds. I would like to see what he could do with a normal IPA since he is able to make a strange set of Pizza ingredients consumable as beer.
You may not like the concept, but you have to try it.

3.29/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours a super fizzy golden orange with hints of red. The head is a fluffy off-white and recedes to a ring fairly quickly leaving no lacing. It smells like, well, a pizza, with strong basil and oregano aromas. The taste isn't exactly like pizza, but pretty darn close. There's the generic grainy lager taste but with serious pizza flavors of basil, garlic and oregano. The mouthfeel is light to medium and highly carbonated. I have to say that this is one of the more interesting brews I've tasted and was pleasantly surprised. It's definitely the best pizza beer I've tasted!

3.27/5  rDev +17.2%

Bought partly as a gimmic and partly for the curriosity factor. Since I have pizza about eight days a week, this beer will make quite the nice pairing with a traditional Brooklyn style Pepperoni and mushroom slice of pie.

The beer opens with a standard Pilsner appearance. Straw to golden in color, ample carbonation that forms an initial head but the fizzy nature of the foam dissipates rather quickly with no lacing.

The aroma may be the bigger surprise. First, the strong pilsne malts take hold with a nice part-malt / part-grain profile. But next come the spices of oregano, basil, and tomatoes. Although the spices are strong, the malt aromas provides the steadfast aromas for the beer.

The beer's flavor also takes the shape of good Pilsners with the same malt-grain combination found in the nose. The spices make waves at mid palate but may come across in a more bitter fashion that flavor. Acidic tomatoes might also provide more to the aroma and mouthfeel than flavor. Ultimately favoring pilsner taste, but with spicy decoration and flair.

The texture of the beer may favor the grain portion of the pilsner malts over the maltiness. Assisited by the acidity of the tomatoes and the bitterness of the spices, the textures could use much more creaminess and richness to compensate. Hop bitterness weaves into and out of the spices and sometimes give a complex bitterness; but sometimes causes astringency and bitey-ness.

Of course the beer is quite a gimmic, but the beer is not a bust as a quality beverage. The average beer makes for great conversation, challenges the senses, and gives you another opportunity to say, "just when you thought you've seen it all...". The beer's first sip accompanies the pizza well, but after a few bites, the beer's flavors and nuances get washed out.

3.27/5  rDev +17.2%

12 oz bottle into Barilla jar.

A: Looks good. Head goes down to near nothing but a bit of a collar.

S: Can't really detect the basil and oregano until it warms. Then its there.

T: Really good super cold but when it warms the oregano and basil kind of overpower this brew. Keep it cold and drink it fast and its awesome.

M: Not bad this is a well crafted beer.

D: The herbs kind of sour this beer when it warms. But I give mama a four when she's cold and a two when she's warm.

3.27/5  rDev +17.2%

Had a chance to try a small taste of this oddball beer over a year ago at an 'April Fools' tasting; couldn't resist snagging a bottle on a late April trip to Chicago. Haven't been able to convince anyone to help drink it since, so today's the day to open. Because the label proclaims: "Beer So Good It Deserves... A WINE GLASS!", I poured the first few ounces to...a wine glass. The rest of the twist-capped 16 oz. bottle went into a standard pint.

"Original Seefurth Family Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer [feat. Chef Tom & Chef Athena] - Ale Brewed with Oregano, Basil, Tomato & Garlic" ~ brewed/bottled by Sprecher.

A: Vibrant golden with a fine unfiltered haziness cut by a loose swirl of carbonation. It's not like a yeasty fall-out, no chunky bits or anything - just a cloudy veil of tiny bits hanging in the glass. Brief head, maybe a 1/2 finger of fizzy whiteness at its best that dwindles but lasts as a broad cream ring. Sliding lace, nothing sticks.

S: Bready aroma of wheat dough and grassy/floral herbs, nothing too heavy. Yeah, there's a bit of tomato and a mild but pungent garlic clove ~ Enticing! A pleasant honeyed sweetness at its core, reminds me of a better-than-average Golden/Blonde Ale.

T: Interesting flavor (no surprise), plenty of yeast and light cereal grain/corn upfront, then the spice/herb 'reveal'. Nothing egregious here, just subtle 'pizza' hints, green and herbaceous, light sugared fruit (berry vs. tomato?) and enough bitterness to give balance. The dating of this beer is uncertain (purchased 2.5 months ago), with a code reading '093241005' lasered onto the neck. Regardless, the end result is quite nice right about now...

M: Crisp and 'bright', an active but not overly-abundant carbonation. Body is light/medium, a touch on the sticky/malty side in the finish, a little oiliness too. Herbs/spices leave a tingle and zest.

D: Light ABV and a pretty pleasing taste (at least at this stage of its life)...know what? I'd buy/drink this again, absolutely. I enjoy trying unusual/experimental beers [see my previous review for Uncommon's Bacon Brown]; this is one of the better curiosities I've had. Worth a try.

3.27/5  rDev +17.2%

A: Deep gold - almost orange in color. Very cloudy. Frothy carbonation that clings to the sides of the glass.

S: It smells just like pizza - I didn't expect that. Tomato, basil, garlicy... well, it's like sticking your nose in a pizza.

T: This beer really does taste like pizza sauce - it's not a gimmick, which surprised me. Garlic, tomato and marinara overtones. The only thing missing is cheese and pepperoni.

M: bubbly carbonation, not as thick as it looks.

O: I was surprised how much this actually smells and tastes like pizza sauce. It's a novel idea and quite good, but I'm not sure if I'd want to drink it very often... it's a little confusing to drink a pizza - I'd almost rather just cut to the chase and eat a piece of real pizza and drink a wheat beer to compliment it.

3.27/5  rDev +17.2%

I concept of this beer is equally awesome and laughable.
The aroma was actually pretty awesome. It says pizza beer and you expect something along the lines of pizza, but this really did smell like a slice of cheese pizza with oregano on it!
The taste was.. well.. actually what you would get on the nose, tomato sauce, basil, and a ton of oregano. I don't know why people say garlic, I got no garlic at all. It had a light taste, and the whole time I was drinking it, I was laughing at out they pulled this one off. It's definitely a pizza beer. I didn't dislike this beer, nor did I really really life it. You take it for what it is, a gimmicky, pizza beer.

I actually think I would love to have this with a slice of NY pizza. That would be awesome.

3.25/5  rDev +16.5%

Light amber color, thin white head, no lacing

Nice herbal aroma of tomato, garlic, and some other herbs, Smells like left over pizza.

Mild front that picks up in the middle with a light tomato/herb flavor that is quite close to a good pizza sauce. Finishes nicely with little after taste.

Very light body, too light for the herbal flavors

I wish this was in Michigan, I would keep a few in the Fridge for cooking and to enjoy.

3.25/5  rDev +16.5%

Very interesting stuff.

Looks like beer.
Smells like pizza.
Tastes like Italian spiced beer.
Burps like pizza.

Should not be used as a pizza replacement. As a beer it is definitely worth a try, but also not really a good choice of pizza accompaniments. It's pretty much just what it sounds like. Pizza Beer.

3.24/5  rDev +16.1%

Contract brewed by Sprecher. There is some shit scrawled in sharpee across the label, which appears to be an autograph by "Chef R"(???) and possibly "Mama Mia" but it looks like it was written with all "m"s. Maybe it says "Athena *something*" (which would make sense), but that's a stretch.

And it only gets weirder.

It pours a hazy tan-yellow body with a slumping gray head.
The nose is doughy, slathered with oregano, basil, tomato paste, and garlic...and pretty much exactly as promised. Bizarre, but it is not offensive. The garlic is low key, and I appreciate that, as I was worried that it might be obnoxiously garlicky.
The smell is spot-on (for what it is), taste is more of a mixed bag. A thin-crust maltiness with some creeping sweetness, that begins more and more to hint at tomato. It's more doughy later on, as the spices (again, obviously, basil, oregano, and garlic). Hopping is negligible.
Light bodied, lowly carbonated. The spicing does catch up after a while, and limit drinkability.
It's mild enough to not overwhelm or offend, but also bland enough to not warrant a repeat visit. It's probably worth a spin just for quirkiness' sake. Just don't expect any "wows".

3.24/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From bottle into wine glass (obviously)

Appearance - Hazy amber with a thin white head that leaves spotty lacing. It's not a lively beer as I don't see many bubbles finding their way around the glass. I was expecting at least a little bit of sediment or something. But nothing was there.

Aroma - Nothing to call home about. A little oregano, light bready malt and a touch of tomato.

Taste - Suprisingly not as bad as I originally assumed. Tastes how I would imagine a pizza beer tastes. Oregano is the front runner followed by crust and a little cheese and tomato coming at the end.

Mouthfeel - Creamy, medium bodied with little to no bite. A mix between savory and malty.

Overall - Tastes like a cheese pizza. If you'd like to drink your pizza and get a tiny buzz then this is the way to go. If you'd rather not drink your pizza, stay away. It's hilarious and interesting all in the same.

3.22/5  rDev +15.4%

A: Pours a hazy golden yellow to orange in color with light amounts of gentle carbonation near the surface of the beer and hints of ruby red when held up to the light . The beer has a quarter finger tall light beige head that reduces to a small thin patch of large bubbles, a very thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer, and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: The beer does actually smell like a pizza - light to moderate aromas of roasted tomatos, garlic, oregano, and basil. As it warms the smell only improves and is more and more like pizza.

T: Like the smell, the beer delivers on the claim to taste like pizza - there is a light to moderate malt flavor up front followed by the pizza flavors - roasted tomatos, oregano, basil, and light hints of garlic.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: I did not have high hopes for this beer but rather bought it because how could you say no to a single bottle - I did not expect to like it, enjoy it, and figured it would be a drain pour. I merely purchased it because it seemed gimmicky. This beer delivers exactly what it claimed to be - it smelled and tasted like pizza and was rather enjoyable. Easy enough to drink but not something you would want to have numerous of in a session. I would definite have another one of these at some point in the future - definitely unique.

3.21/5  rDev +15.1%

How do you rate this? I went with by the style - for a beer. Like nothing I will probably ever have, so let's try.

The pour is cloudy golden/amber color. Thin white head.

The nose is bit off-putting for me. I know - garlic and basil, oregano in here - but it is a harsh nose.

The taste is much better - it has plenty of pizza flavors - oregano jumps out, garlic is present and is in the back the whole way through. Still, it manages to pull off being a beer. The main flavors are all pizza - but you know it's a beer.

Didn't try with pizza this time - worth trying it with some once - not something I want to drink often - but I hope the restaurant had fun doing this! Thanks for trying this Sprecher! Why not have some pizza beer with your pizza?

3.21/5  rDev +15.1%

I got this bottle in a trade with Nutbrown. Thanks Alan!

It pours a cloudy orange gold with a 2+ finger head of foam.

The smell has some sweet and some spice going on. I get notes of oregano and basil big time with a side order of tomatoes. Interesting.

The taste has those smells in the taste but not as overpowering as I was fearing. Nice bitter taste near the finish with more spice there as well. For a beer labelled as a Pizza Beer, I think they did a good job capturing the essence of pizza.

Good medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

Drinkability? 1 is definitely enough at one sitting but I'm somewhat surprised that I finished the bottle without a problem. Btw, head retention was very good and it had some decent lacing.

16 oz. bottle poured into a wine glass

A: Murky amberish orange with a thin white head. No lacing as you drink, but a good retention on the head.

S: Exactly as advertised: pizza. Tomato, oregano, basil, pizza dough, the whole nine yards. Like sticking your nose in a fresh pizza. I swear I smell green olives!

T: Tomato, pepperoni, garlic, olives, dough, even kind of salty. Liquid pizza! And like the last reviewer said, "background of pils type malt and wheat". Definitely not like any beer I have ever had before.

M: Little carbonation. Rather laight, not unlike a pils or lager. But not too weak.

D: Let's face it, you're going to get this for the same reason I got it: novelty. Drinkability doesn't really play into it. But it is what is is advertised as, pizza beer. If you like fresh pizza, you're probably going to find this drinkable. Even if it is a bit unusual tasting for a beer. Not bad at all. I could see myself drinking another one of these or two.

3.2/5  rDev +14.7%

Inflatablechair, buckeyeboy, ditimier, and I came together for a very interesting Saturday evening tasting... this is the only one that I really wanted to get down before the memory banks started to fade.... Ditmier brought this one so he and all of us could taste it... Eric.. I don't think it was a joke... and I'm glad it was the first bottle of the night..

Sprecher 16oz bottle... capped and the label looks like something you would see in a hoax movie.. "Meet the Spartans" .... I can see some gladiators sitting around eating pizza and sipping on this beer with a gratuitous shot that zooms into the label and pans off to some guy from Super Mario brothers standing atop a boiling kettle cramming pepperoni pizzas into the pot... That is what this beer tastes like... no kidding... seriously.

Only slightly hazy orange.. no real head..

The aroma is actually very much like a slice of pizza.. tomato.. oregano is pretty prevalent .. garlic just doesn't belong in beer... and really neither does some pretty fresh smelling basil.

The flavor is a "no shit" pizza palate in a liquid form... along with all the herbs, I swear there is a doughy elements ... but I could be easily imagining it.. the tomato and garlic are more in the front.. but if the oregano wasn't there, I would probably be lost ...

I honestly am thinking about adding this one to my wants and sharing it with some of my bro's buddy's... EDIT .. Not gonna say what Gino would say... I wanna be there.

Despite my above crappy review, this is an outstanding example of things that can be done with beer... Start with a Short's Bloody Beer in the morning... Dr. Dremo's Donut Stout for a sugary snack... and the Pizza Beer as a main course... Wow.. That is just nasty sounding... but I bet it's never been done in the history of human kind..

Thanks Eric.. I honestly never.... ever... seriously .. ever would have tried trading for this one... but I think it was actually pretty interesting... made better with some bites of salami.. :-) Thanks for the opportunity.

3.19/5  rDev +14.3%

Thanks drizzam!

A - Light, bubbly, quick-lived, eggshell colored head. The body is pale reddish copper colored and transparent with a strong amount of rising bubbles.

S - It has the aroma of a nicely spiced marinara sauce with a backdrop of malty brew. It reminds me of the dipping sauce that comes standard with a frozen pizza fries.

T - Well, for a spiced beer it tastes rather mild. There is a hint of spice throughout with a finish tasting a bit of oregano.

M - It has a fine coarseness to it. Remarkably, this brew goes down easily and at a rather quick pace.

~ At the very least this is a very interesting brew. I'm told this beer is no longer made, so if you see one on the shelf at your local brew store, you probably want to nab one, even if only for the sake of saying you gave it a try.

3.19/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

No head really on a gold and burnt orange body with no lacing really. Both the aroma and the flavor are light overall. For the aroma, you mostly get mozzarella, pale malts and pepperoni. Flavor is more herbal with the oregano coming through more, also your typical pizza flavors. This beer could be a lot worse. Each flavor is understated and actually far better, although not good, than I imagined. We had a big beer tasting tonight and saved this for last, it could have been the first we had. Not at all a palate recker. light in body and light to medium carbonation.

3.18/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz fatty bottle poured into a pint glass. This "gem" was picked up from Steve's Liquor in Madison, WI.

Smell, huh. Smells kinda like day old pizza. Some oregano, faint hit of garlic, but no hops.

Taste, well, it, uh, kinda tastes like pizza. Strong flavors of oregano and garlic, along with that sharp acidic taste from tomato sauce. Hops are noticeable though, and I think that is this beer's redeeming quality. Goes down smooth with the exception of the garlic getting in the way. I love garlic, but not in liquid form.

Overall, it tastes like pizza. What did you expect? But really, it's one of the most unique beers I've ever tasted. Kudos to the brewers for thinking outside the box, and kudos to Sprecher for taking a chance on this beer. Believe it or not, this is the new "Extreme Beer". Beer brewed with food, it's the new fad. You heard it here first.

3.17/5  rDev +13.6%

A - clear golden, thumb of white head retained at a thin covering, lots of bubbles rising from the bottom
S - definitely smells of a herb & garlic tomato sauce as advertised, hints of adjunct and grains
T - reminds me of a canned pizza sauce, including a little bit of the can in the taste, the oregano and garlic really hang around, maybe even a little too long. As far as beer flavours, adjunct and grains like the nose
M - a typical thin adjunct lager feel
O - it starts promising but gets a little blah towards the end, but big points for creativity, a must try for the novelty factor

3.15/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. It pours a clear, very light copper. A 1/4 inch head quickly recedes to no lacing.

The aroma is primarily like a malty lager with some notes of tomato, basil, and garlic, which are actually quite good.

The taste goes straight to the heart of pizza mixed with a nice malted beverage and good notes of tomato, basil, oregano, and a little less garlic although a nice garlicky taste and tingle lingers on the tongue.

The mouthfeel is fairly light bodied although this is made up for by a unique and reasonably good taste. There is an adequate level of carbonation and it is definitely not sticky.

Overall, this is a very interesting beer. I like the taste and overall presentation, although the mouthfeel could have been better. I can't say that I'd want to drink it frequently, but it is definitely worth trying and enjoying, as I was surprised by the quality. I will be having it again.

3.15/5  rDev +12.9%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: orange amber color with a minimal white head

smell: tomato, garlic,

taste: tomato, basil, garlic,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: reminds me sort of like a tomato soup flavor. not a terrible beer just different. Glad I finally got to try it.

Cheers,
The CPJ

3.12/5  rDev +11.8%

I have not so secretly been wanting to try this beer for a really long time. It is not normal and I think a good descriptor of this beer is that its interesting but not good. Its always hard to write these reviews, on one hand, I am conflicted. Did they make a beer that is flavored like a pizza? Yes, yes they did. Did they present it in a format that successfully launches a beer that is drinkable and pleasant? No, no they did not. I will thoroughly describe the beer and rate it based on my personal enjoyment.

Beer poured from the bottle into a pint glass (they say use a wine glass but give me a break). Beer is dark yellow / reddish in color and this one is hazy. A thin white head forms and there is a lot of carbonation that props it up. The carbonation is of large bubbles but there is not lacing on the glass.

The aroma is a homerun as far as a pizza beer is concerned. Every time I take a sniff, it smells more like pizza. At first its the basils, then the oregano, the oregano dominates for the while but then I pick up on some tomoato sweetness. Pizza smelling beer? Success, congratulations.

The first taste is the worst. I was scared to take it, the oregano and the basil are there the most. I was expecting some sulfur from the garlic but it just wasn't there. The beer was a little sweet from the tomatoes, they are well represented in a muted way. I've had other beers that use basil, a Bison beer and Black Thai, but this is just odd. It really tastes like pizza sause. Its kind of incredible.

There is an unfortunate pizza aftertaste that really subtracts from the experience. Beer has medium to low body and lots of carbonation in the mouth, giving it the illusion of more body than it really has.

I didn't love it, I won't have it again, I don't regret it, I respect it. It tasted like pizza. Nicely done. Time to cross it off my list.

3.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from the bottle into a Nonic pint glass. Yup also poured into an INAO wine taster.. hey that's how I roll.

Slightly hazy, opaque, lots of microscopic carbonation rising with a dark yellowish orange body. Head is about two fingers, fairly creamy and some half decent staying power with no lacing. No chunks, or debris, not bad looking.

The nose is what it is. It's pizza. However, it's more of a frozen store bought dough, sort of like Olive Garden breadsticks. There is not much sense of real garlic, basil, or tomato on this, nothing fresh or spicy, it's just doughy like Pizza Hut crust or something.

Palate is quite watery, with a bitter dehydrated oregano like finish on the swallow. Surprisingly the pizza nose doesn't really translate into the taste. Light tomato and vegetative qualities but with none of the excellent spice angle. In fact it really doesn't taste like anything.

Overall this isn't horrid, but I can't feel like I would ever want to have this again, it tastes like watered down cheap pie in a glass. However, it is what it is.

3.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Bottle I brought to share at drewone's tasting.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy bone colored head that settles fades to nothing. No lacing on the drink down. Smell is of malt and the pizza spices like oregano, basil, and garlic. Taste is much the same with a mild spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an average beer that isn't as bad as I was expecting but definitely a novelty item in the beer world.

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer from Pizza Beer Company