Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer | Pizza Beer Company

Mamma Mia! Pizza BeerMamma Mia! Pizza Beer

Pizza Beer Company
Illinois, United States | website

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

Added by orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008

Reviews: 167 | Ratings: 322
2.82/5  rDev +1.1%

Oh boy...not sure why I bought this one, but here goes nothing.

A - Pours a hazy amber color with tiny chunks of black sediment held in suspension. A very thin cap of white froth for a head, with no lacing.

S - Surprisingly it smells like fresh pizza. Tomato paste and some unidentifiable herbs are present, almost seems like you can smell a doughy character in there as well. Doesn't smell unpleasant I guess.

T & M - Well, it's pizza beer...and it tastes like pizza. The tomato didn't dominate as I would have expected from the aroma...instead it seems the pizza spices have taken center stage. Oregano, basil and garlic provide the flavor base, with a bit of tomato and bread acting as accentuating characters. Light bodied and finishes fairly crisp.

D - This beer is a novelty item in my opinion, but a fairly well done novelty item. They were aiming for fresh pizza flavors and they achieved that with flying colors. Does that mean I want to ever drink this beer again? Probably not. As a matter of fact, I'm not so sure I'm going to be able to finish this one.

2.59/5  rDev -7.2%

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer pours a hazy straw color. Has a small head with okay retention and leaves low lacing.

I am pretty impressed by the aroma, really does smell like a pizza, and in a surprisingly good way. First notice garlic and marinara sauce, with basil, oregano, and yeasty pizza dough.

The tastes is also like a pizza, but unlike the aroma, this similarity is pretty bad. Taste starts with dough and marinara sauce (which is okay), then comes a gigantic wave of overwhelming garlic, then a devastating one-two punch of oregano and basil, with a lingering, coating, garlic stench aftertaste. Mouthfeel is average with above average carbonation.

The taste here is pretty damn bad, but the appealing aroma and overall novelty of this beer save it, but it's still pretty bad - worse than I expected. Glad I tried it, glad I never have to try it again. The aroma really is nice, though.

3.15/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. It pours a clear, very light copper. A 1/4 inch head quickly recedes to no lacing.

The aroma is primarily like a malty lager with some notes of tomato, basil, and garlic, which are actually quite good.

The taste goes straight to the heart of pizza mixed with a nice malted beverage and good notes of tomato, basil, oregano, and a little less garlic although a nice garlicky taste and tingle lingers on the tongue.

The mouthfeel is fairly light bodied although this is made up for by a unique and reasonably good taste. There is an adequate level of carbonation and it is definitely not sticky.

Overall, this is a very interesting beer. I like the taste and overall presentation, although the mouthfeel could have been better. I can't say that I'd want to drink it frequently, but it is definitely worth trying and enjoying, as I was surprised by the quality. I will be having it again.

2.52/5  rDev -9.7%

Bottle purchased at Sam's in Clybourn . . .

Appearance is a murky, cloudy orange hue, minimal white head with no lacing

Smell is pizza-related spices, mostly oregano and garlic, some flowery hops and biscuit malts

Taste is mostly subtle flavors, pale bread malts with grassy hop tones and those pizza spices, finishes dry

Mouthfeel is light-bodied, thinned out and watery texture, poor inadequate carbonation

Drinkability is low, this beer tastes like an unbalanced pale ale with sprinkles of italian/pizza spices, I would consider this to be a primarily novelty beer, I could see no reason to try this again nor would I recommend to any serious beer drinker, this may serve as a caution against replicating non-relevant food flavors in beer. . . maybe this would be complimentary with pizza but I couldn't vouch for that

2.57/5  rDev -7.9%

473ml bottle poured into a 20oz snifter... close enough to a wine glass.

A - Poured as hard as possible yielding three, maybe five, seconds of head before it fizzled out completely. Dense amber-orange with ample haziness. Kind of like a DIPA with a bad head on it.

S - It's clear that the base of this beer before it was "transformed" into a pizza beer was nothing more than a lager. Oregano and tomato upfront. Not exactly "pizza" but more the spices of pizza. While this smells pretty much as advertised, I'm really not looking forward to this glass...

T - The base is still really lager-esque, but there's a lot of bready malt in here compared to the average lager. The pizza aspect feels a bit disjointed here, with the spices coming through too early and leaving the finish rather bland and watery. I commend the brewers for actually infusing flavors of pizza into the beer, but with a novelty beer like this I expected a more pronounced pizza flavor. No one is taking this seriously anyways, so why not go all out and really put some spice into this thing?

M - Medium carbonation but a painfully watery body. Not much to analyze here...

D - It's decent for what it is, but it really isn't much. Definitely worth trying once, but nothing worth seeking out ever again.

3.61/5  rDev +29.4%

Thanks trey for sharing this novelty purchase with me. I have no idea what to expect with this one.

My buddy described the look as attractive, and I'd have to agree. The body is a semi hazy pale orange with pink tones. I had no head (inside joke that plays off of a few recurring themes). Not stunning, but exceeded expectations thus far.

WOW. This smells exactly like a freshly baked pizza. Tons of tomato, parmesan, oregano, and lots of garlic. They were really spot on with the smell of this one, I really could just sit here and smell this beer all night.

The taste is a little weird as it doesn't match the profoundness of the smell. The components that stick out the most are garlic and tomato, with the malts providing a little bit sweetness. Oregano is present. This beer really doesn't taste bad, if anything like a traditional lager with spices. I could easily drink another one of these, especially while scarfing down a slice of pie.

2.66/5  rDev -4.7%

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own living room. From Sprecher's standard 16 oz bottle to a standard pint glass. The bottle suggested a wine glass, but the aroma didn't seem worth the trouble.

Appearance: Pours a golden amber with a nice thick head that disappeared quickly.

Smell: It is hard to compare the smell to anything else I have ever tried before. Smells of pizza, but mainly spices, maybe oregano?

Taste: Watered down pizza sauce. Oregano and tomato. Very strange.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied.

Drinkability: Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I wouldn't seek this out again, but it is interesting.

3.39/5  rDev +21.5%

I guess this is proof that I'll try anything once... but I like pizza and I like beer so I couldn't stay away forever.

Poured into my Palm tulip glass, it has a hazy dingy orange/brown color with ample white head that drops to a thin layer with a thicker ring around the edges.

Smells like pizza, heavier on the basil and oregano than tomato. Bonus points for pretty much nailing the smell.

Tastes like an average wheat beer with pizza in it.

Thin and watery body, not much to it.

Easy enough to drink one, but I am glad it was sold by the single. This is not a terrible beer, but it's not much more than a novelty. it does get bonus points for creativity and for accomplishing the stated goal of making a pizza beer (God Bless Chicago), but I would not recommend this one.

Tasted on 4/7/08.

Pizza beer? Oh man, I love pizza… I love beer. There’s no way this tastes like pizza. But apparently they use the same spices as… As pizza. I mean, I love pizza, name the toppings. I like the meats, and the veggies. As a matter of fact, I really enjoy BBQ pizza. The best pizza ever is the BBQ pizza from Pizza Hut. Alright, what’s the beer smell like?

Holy cow, it smells like pizza. What the heck… It literally smells like pizza. You know the smell when you walk into an Italian restaurant… Not just any Italian restaurant but the small local places owned and operated by an Italian. So if it smells like pizza, does that mean it tastes like pizza?

Um… The beer tastes like pizza. No… It tastes like pizza. What in the world do they use to make this beer taste like pizza… The spices apparently. I might not order this again, unless I was ordering it with a pizza. But man, calling this a pizza beer was dead on.

Sip it… Unless you like shoving a whole piece of pizza in your mouth!

2.8/5  rDev +0.4%

I was visiting my parents and saw a bottle of this at a local liquor store, and curiosity got the better of me. I could only handle a few sips of this beer, and yes it does kind of taste like pizza. I mostly remember tasting lots of oregano and a bit of tomato. The flavor wasn't awful, but just not what I would want in a beer. On the other hand, my husband found this beer to be rather delicious.

2.04/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

A: looks like a hefeweizen with a lighter yellow unfiltered color, little white colored head that reduces to nothing more than a rim.

S: Smells just like tomato pizza sauce. If this were an actual pizza I'd be drooling.

T: tastes like keystone light with a slice of pizza soaked in it... Aka Not good!

M: thin and almost soda like

D: zilch, I drain poured after three painful sips.

3.01/5  rDev +7.9%

this is a great idea on paper.

I poured this brew into my das boot. the smell is pizza-ish. I can smell oregano and tomatoe. This taste is wheat beerish with a hint of basil and oregano.

This beer, while sounding great, is very hard to drink. i just dont think pizza IN a beer go together.

Overall, I wouldnt go for this again.

2.7/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a hazy yellow capped by a greyish head.

Smell is exactly how it is described on the bottle. Aroma of tomato, basil, and garlic are prevalent. Some bready notes are also easy to detect. None of the aromas are out of wack. The taste is nothing like the smell. Tomato and basil share the stage with a macro lager like blandness. Feel is somewhat fizzy and light.

On its own this beer is almost a drain pour. How ever halfway through the pint my pizza came out of the oven and made the beer more tolerable. It is a great compliment to pizza. If you are in the mood for something wierd, this is it.

3.27/5  rDev +17.2%

A: Deep gold - almost orange in color. Very cloudy. Frothy carbonation that clings to the sides of the glass.

S: It smells just like pizza - I didn't expect that. Tomato, basil, garlicy... well, it's like sticking your nose in a pizza.

T: This beer really does taste like pizza sauce - it's not a gimmick, which surprised me. Garlic, tomato and marinara overtones. The only thing missing is cheese and pepperoni.

M: bubbly carbonation, not as thick as it looks.

O: I was surprised how much this actually smells and tastes like pizza sauce. It's a novel idea and quite good, but I'm not sure if I'd want to drink it very often... it's a little confusing to drink a pizza - I'd almost rather just cut to the chase and eat a piece of real pizza and drink a wheat beer to compliment it.

1.91/5  rDev -31.5%

This is one of the most bizarre beers I've had in ages. I can't even really give a very good review due to the fact that it's just ridiculous. I will try though.

A - Yellowish Orange Haze with barely any head that just goes away as soon as you blink.

S - Pizza. I can't even think of what else this has in it cause it just throws me off so much. It smells like sauce, cheese, and crust that's been cooked and sold by the slice.

T - Pizza. Everything that's going on in pizza is in this, which I bet is actually very difficult to do. Yet, it's not a good taste for a beer at all and therefore a bad idea...should never have been done.

M - really light for the amount of flavor it has. it's just a super watery finish that i don't care for by any means.

D - I would never drink this again, but I don't think I would stop someone from drinking it. It's just absolutely insanely weird and I think everyone should try this once.

1.89/5  rDev -32.3%

pours a lively hazed amber with highlights of straw and a half inch fizzy white head that quickly dissipates. the smell is bold pizza sauce, which basically included oregano, garlic, bad tomatoes, and bready crusts. so... the goal was reached, but this is not appetizing to me. the tomato i got was more like ketchup (which doesn't go too well on pizza) and the sour yeast smell in the backround just jarred the senses. it was like getting sea sick smelling a beer. i knew it was a beer, but my brain started over loading. the flavor is very light and thankfully doesn't translate the smell. i just get bready yeast and very grainy corn adjunct that is short and stinging. it had a garlic aftertaste, which would be ok if it wasn't a friggin' beer. i need to go brush my teeth. i was the only one in the room of five that finished the beer.

3.29/5  rDev +17.9%

Had my first sample at a Sam's tasting on Saturday. I have sent many to my friends because they can't believe it.
A: Looks like watered down pizza sauce. I can't really knock it down too much for that. I mean, it is pizza flavored beer.
S: Smells great. Plenty of garlic and basil in the nose. As a long time pizza cook and lover, this smells like I thought it would. Almost no hop smell in there, but you can get a hint of malt.
T: Taste was ok, though I wish I had sampled with food. I had sampled a creamy stout right before this beer, so it was more harsh than it would normally be. I don't really think it tastes quite like pizza.
M: Slightly over-carbonated. It is light and crisp.
D: I could drink a few with a nice slice of deep dish. You definitely have to be hungry to truly appreciate this beer.

I did talk to Tom at the tasting. He seems to be very enthusiastic about brewing, and I hope he succeeds. I would like to see what he could do with a normal IPA since he is able to make a strange set of Pizza ingredients consumable as beer.
You may not like the concept, but you have to try it.

1.06/5  rDev -62%

Stupidity in a bottle. Why does something like this exist? I read one of the reviews that said it smells like vomited beer and pizza. That about nails it. The taste is beyond words. What did I expect? It's beer with freaking basil, oregano and garlic in it. Garlic is not going to taste good in beer. That should be just about the most self-evident thing in the world. If you want an out of the ordinary conversation piece to put on a shelf, fine. But for the love of God don't open it.

2.3/5  rDev -17.6%

Appearance: Golden orange, 2 finger white foamy head. Decent lacing.

Smell: Tomato sauce. All the spices are there. Amazing but disgusting at the same time.

Taste: Yup, pure pizza sauce. Overpowering oregano and basil. I can't believe how much it really does taste like pizza.

Drinkability: Disgusting taste, amazing concept and style. I hope I never have to drink this again though.

3.18/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz fatty bottle poured into a pint glass. This "gem" was picked up from Steve's Liquor in Madison, WI.

Smell, huh. Smells kinda like day old pizza. Some oregano, faint hit of garlic, but no hops.

Taste, well, it, uh, kinda tastes like pizza. Strong flavors of oregano and garlic, along with that sharp acidic taste from tomato sauce. Hops are noticeable though, and I think that is this beer's redeeming quality. Goes down smooth with the exception of the garlic getting in the way. I love garlic, but not in liquid form.

Overall, it tastes like pizza. What did you expect? But really, it's one of the most unique beers I've ever tasted. Kudos to the brewers for thinking outside the box, and kudos to Sprecher for taking a chance on this beer. Believe it or not, this is the new "Extreme Beer". Beer brewed with food, it's the new fad. You heard it here first.

1.91/5  rDev -31.5%

There is a nice honey gold coloring to it. It is cloudy, but not so cloudy you can't see through it. Almost no head formed when I poured it. What did was thin and white. It faded quickly leaving nothing on the top of the beer. There is also no lacing on the side of the glass at all.

The smell was something I had never experience in a beer before in my life. They did a decent job of capturing the smell of pizza. Unfortunately it smells like a cheap frozen pizza that someone sprinkled an Italian Seasoning blend on, but still Pizza. The Tomato, basil, oregano and Garlic really does overpower any other scent in the beer. What malts that can be detected blends with the other scents to give it kind of a doughy/crust scent. Now this may just be my imagination because of the type of beer it is and that was missing from the scent was pizza crust.

The taste is much like the scent. All you can really taste is the Tomato, Garlic and herbs that are added to it. There is also a bit of saltiness to it. Realistically this tastes like someone took a piece of the above cheap frozen pizza and let it soak in a keystone light for a while. The pizza tastes about washes out any standard ale flavors one would get. The aftertaste is a bit salty and overpower. Honestly, I couldn't imagine drinking this beer with anything other than maybe pizza.

This is a medium bodied beer. There is a light carbonation to it, but nothing biting.

Honestly, I can't believe I drank this whole beer. I've drank beers that are much worse than this, but not in a long time. I'm not sure if the people that make this novelty honestly think this is a good beer or if they make it as more for entertainment. IE, in college I had a friend that used to make the most god awful punch for parties; nobody liked it, not even him. Yet he made it for every party because inevitably it would get drank in its entirety because people would bet each other they couldn't drink it, or do the ol' switcharoo and give it to some unsuspecting individual. The fact that I drank this willingly just speaks volumes to how far I'll go to review a beer.

3.25/5  rDev +16.5%

Light amber color, thin white head, no lacing

Nice herbal aroma of tomato, garlic, and some other herbs, Smells like left over pizza.

Mild front that picks up in the middle with a light tomato/herb flavor that is quite close to a good pizza sauce. Finishes nicely with little after taste.

Very light body, too light for the herbal flavors

I wish this was in Michigan, I would keep a few in the Fridge for cooking and to enjoy.

1.69/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought this to give it a try. What the heck.

The smell was like sniffing a spice rack that had a stale beer dumped on it. The color *looked* like beer, with a slight red to it.

I took a swallow and thought I had accidentally got some orageno around the lip of my glass and was drinking a V8. Gag.

While not the worst beer I have ever tasted, it is now become the gag beer I take over the friends' beer events and sneak it into the mix.

Definitely not a beer to be taken seriously. Which may explain the unsold cases of it sitting around the Roundhouse in Aurora.

1.46/5  rDev -47.7%

Picked this up out of curiosity in Madison. It's not available in KS, so what the hell?

A: Looks like beer. Bright light orange with a shockingly large head that dissipated surprisingly quickly.

S: This is where it starts to go downhill. It smells like pizza, as promised, but the pizza in the nose is terrible, month-old pizza. The scent is vaguely reminiscent of discovering an ancient, possibly-five-week-old Domino's pizza under a friend's futon back in the days of the dorms. Appalling.

T: Wow, sad times. It tastes like it smells, but worse. There's definitely oregano, tomato, and other pizza spices in there, but they are all horrible perverted. Just... bad. I drank a couple sips and passed it around to my friends so they could also experience the pain, but we eventually ended up chucking the balance. It's always sad to throw a beer, and it's not something I do lightly, but this is definitely an occasion of necessity.

M: Watery - starts out overly carbonated and then deteriorates to being entirely flat as time progresses.

D: As previously stated, this didn't even merit completion. Horrible.

Note: My friends were all super-sad when they saw the Sprecher name on the bottle, and some vowed to stop trying Sprecher products even after I explained that it is contract-brewed. So, if anyone from Sprecher is reading this... now you know.

3.62/5  rDev +29.7%

Pint bottle with code number.

A- color is a clear amber with a thin head.
S- a lagerish aroma with fainter ones of the oregano and basil
T- simialr to a lighter lager, with weaker accompanied oregano, basil and garlic flavors.
M- rather light with the carbonation.
D- not a bad beer, but not something I would drink more than a few of.

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer from Pizza Beer Company