Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer | Pizza Beer Company

Pizza Beer Company
Illinois, United States
mammamiapizzabeer.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

Added by orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008

2.48/5  rDev -11.1%

Found at High Time in Costa Mesa, a rarity I was surprised to find.

A cloudy amber colored beer with a sparse white head.

Smells weird. Pizza dough and spices but not really like pizza. Fennel, tomato and oregano are the only ones I can identify.

Starts out just beer with a little fennel. You can taste oregano and tomato but it is really just a trace. Decent bitterness.

Mouthfeel is average.

There is something vaguely nauseating about this beer, probably why Italy doesn't brew beer with tomatoes or garlic in it. A novelty beer you will only want to taste once.

16 oz. bottle from Hi-Times,

A: Pours a cloudy yellow orange with a fizzy white head with good retention.

S: Oregano, tomatoes, basil, pizza crust. Smells like a pizza for sure.

T: Tomato and garlic with a background of pils type malt and wheat. Not a bad flavour, very unique.

M: Thin and fizzy, light lager feel. Soft carbonation.

D: An interesting experiment, it is what it says it is - it tastes and smells like pizza. Hard to put a drinkability score as it's so strange, but definitely worth a pick up just for the experience.

3.21/5  rDev +15.1%

I got this bottle in a trade with Nutbrown. Thanks Alan!

It pours a cloudy orange gold with a 2+ finger head of foam.

The smell has some sweet and some spice going on. I get notes of oregano and basil big time with a side order of tomatoes. Interesting.

The taste has those smells in the taste but not as overpowering as I was fearing. Nice bitter taste near the finish with more spice there as well. For a beer labelled as a Pizza Beer, I think they did a good job capturing the essence of pizza.

Good medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

Drinkability? 1 is definitely enough at one sitting but I'm somewhat surprised that I finished the bottle without a problem. Btw, head retention was very good and it had some decent lacing.

1.14/5  rDev -59.1%

5/21/2011

Thanks Terri! Poured into a tasting glass. It smells like an alien pizza sauce. Huge tomato and basil notes blend with oregano and garlic. The vegetal character is just horrendous. Awful smell. The flavor is just as bad, with a brutal blast of oregano and basil with a disgusting artificial tomato flavor. Epicly bad stuff.

2.32/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a two finger white head that vanishes quickly leaving no lace. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Hazy amber color. Nose is tomato and spice. Flavor is not pizza, it is doughy, some hops. I like pizza and beer but not together. Not worth $2.99 for a 16oz bottle from Liquorama Upland, CA.

1.82/5  rDev -34.8%

- ale brewed with oregano, basil, tomato, and garlic.

A: Dense orange with a feverish pitch of carbonation fills the vessel. The head is good, 2 finger solid, marshmellow structure, pearl white color with a sturdy show of retention. So far not bad.

S: Aroma of garlic and basil and tomato sauce (not sure if sauce is subliminal but sure is pronounced enough for me to think otherwise). Oregano and bread crust is dominant as well. There is a weird touch of pizza box lingering about. It smells like it should with a light to moderate level of awareness. Was it enticing? no. but what would you expect from this combination.

T: Flavor of sweet malt upfront, muted spicing, bread crust and basil come through. The nose was much more defined, a good thing or bad thing? I have to say with every approach just before you sip i would get a weird sensantion of warm pizza sauce, soggy cardboard, and throw up. The flavor and taste isnt nearly as bad as the approach, but from then on it comes off as damaged goods and is a big turn off. Warm pizza sauce and garlic hints upon warming.

M: Spritzy malty and saucy mouthful but in the end unimpressive. A bright spot of oranges upon the hold and swallow seems odd and misplaced, but somewhat of a welcome considering.

O: The beer started out interesting enough, sure i played along, an ok visual, an aroma of what was expected, though not necessarily enticing. In the end the flavor is what sends this over the cliff. Pizza and beer are fine individually, just not together. Overall a gag drink, that will no doubt make you gag in the end. A novelty sale only. Even dave's chilli creek was a bit more tolerabe then this one. Run, do not walk as far away as possible when you see this. A great gag gift for that snobbish beer drinker you dont like, how do you think i got a hold of this?

3.06/5  rDev +9.7%

So my review is back when Sprecher used to make this beer, so if that means a lot to you, I dunno, maybe you disregard, maybe you pay extra close attention because you are doing some historical or anthropological paper and here you are with your research.

It looks like your standard beer, yellow in color, white head, 1/4" goes away maybe a little quicker. Nothing about it says pizza. Now the smell, that actually captures some italian seasoning and tomatoes. I mean, I'm ntot going to dock this points because it smells like it is intended to. In fact, props yo.

Taste, hey, it tastes like pizza. It has a weird way of not letting you go. I drank the entire 16oz of this, and while it is far from my favorite, I mean seriously, there's been over 100 beers I can't drink that much of, so this was nowhere near as bad as its rating or some of the other garbage I've come across in my time.

So much oregano, tomato, bread. I think everyone should try this because its unique and shit, Dogfish Head puts shit like this out all the time and charge you $12 for a bottle of it.

2.53/5  rDev -9.3%

473ml bottle poured into pint glass 8/4/12

A hazy golden orange with loads of sediment and bubbles with just a thin film for head and a few patches of lace

S it is what it claims, basil, oregano, garlic and tomato puree leave me fairly confused, not like anything I've ever encountered before. The more I smell it the more I want a pizza, not necessarily in my glass just in general

T a little bready and top of what I smell but its nowhere near as strong and I'm not sure if that's good or bad, well on second thought its pretty bad I think I preferred the pizza smell opposed to the beery pizza flavor

M thin and a little foamy with a herbal aftertaste, go figure

O really? pizza beer? I can't even think of what I could do with this one in the kitchen. That being said it didn't hit my drain but I think by the end I was drinking it out of curiosity

a food beer perhaps? I really can't think of what would inspire anyone to brew this, well pizza I suppose. A must try beer, travel, trade, kill, steal, whatever it takes everyone should try this one

2.06/5  rDev -26.2%

(Served in an American pint glass)
The bottle says Sprecher in the glass

A- This beer has a hazy deep orange body with a big creamy beige head and is supported by a boiling carbonation of big bubbles.

S- The soft smell of tomato paste and dried herbs comes through in the smell with some slight salty cheese note as it warms. The smell is pretty clean but strong enough.

T- The big taste of pizza crust dominates the taste followed by a big tomato sauce flavor and a dry savory herb flavor at the finish. There is a dry mozzarella flavor in the background that comes through after a few sips.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a fizzy finish that enhances the tomato paste flavor.

D- I have been staring at this beer in the fridge for a few days a little scared to open it. It was not as horrific as I though but it was still gross, and I like pizza. The crust flavors were authentic but I don't like that in a beer and the tomato was spot on but I don't think I could drink a tomato beer. Interesting idea that should have stopped at that.

2.5/5  rDev -10.4%

Tastes like pizza, if that's what you were looking for in a beer.

2.97/5  rDev +6.5%

16 ounce bottle. Picked it up on a recent trip to Champaign/Urbana, IL. I saw this and figured why not try it. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a hazy dark gold color with a half inch white head. Head retention is average, not much lacing. Well, this beer definitely smells like pizza just like it says on the label (oregano, basil, tomato and garlic). I don't notice any hop or malt aromas, just pizza. It tastes the same as the aroma, but there's some hops I can taste too. Finishes a bit bitter. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's not watery but there isn't much to the mouthfeel at all. Average carbonation. Drinkability is OK, I guess. I'm pretty sure I couldn't drink more than one bottle of this at a time, though. This is definitely a unique beer, that's for sure. It's not great, but it's not awful either. All in all, I'd drink this again. For $2.29 a bottle, it's worth a try.

2.93/5  rDev +5%

Expecting a murky reddish tinted brew, surprised to find a mostly clear dark gold liquid. Scent was mild and had notes or oregano and light vegetable. Taste lead with oregano again, but tomato sauce pokes through, a lightly salty note, mild bread, other faint notes of spice. Lighter side of medium, bubbly. Bought due to the novelty and was quite frankly afraid of what the outcome would be... overall i enjoyed it for what it was, but wouldn't need to drink again.

3.68/5  rDev +31.9%

Was at the Bocktown in Robinson and went specifically to try this beer. Also to find Choklat but as expected they were sold out at the moment.

appearance - heard for some reason that this beer has a bright orange color but poured a medium yellow. A finger and a half head so those who say it has none may have gotten an old bottle.

smell - Really expected more dough smell but the tomato really comes out at first whiff. Also smell some parmesan cheese which was pretty cool and different.

taste - Very average beer with tomato flavoring. If you concentrate you can actually taste the basil but every sip held on to its flavor without falling flat.

mouthfeel - As you really taste and as it warms a bit I can taste the parmesan. I was really hoping for a bread taste but I really couldn't find it.

Overall I would recommend this beer to others (Kind of did when I went to a six pack shop shortly after) but I really couldn't see myself drinking more than one. Definitely a must try for people who need a brake for the typical beer.

1.27/5  rDev -54.5%

16oz bottle, about 14oz too many. Into a wine glass

A: Amber with a white head that recedes rather quick. Decent carbonation

S: Gross. Vomited beer + pizza. The beer component is noticeable, but the combination of tomato, garlic an oregano is truly revolting, especially when combined with the malt sweetness.

T: Gose Gone Wild! Salty, sweet, spicy and garlic. Can't drink this

M: Light, spritzy and garlicy finish

D: Thanks, but I'll pass. My morbid curiosity has been satisfied

3.84/5  rDev +37.6%

Contract fr the Seefurth Family. Brewed with oregano, basil, tomato, and garlic. Interesting!!

The color looks like liquid pizza beer. Tomato mber mixed wth parmesan chee look. Very hazey and deep with no visible bubbles and no head. One of the most unique aromas I've ever smelled in a beer. The only time an aroma of cheese in a beer is ok. The combination of pizza spices just makes me think parmesan cheese. You can smell the spices very well with this beer. The first sip is up front herbal oregano and basil. The tomato and garlic hit the middle. Then all four meet at the end of the tongue to give a powedered parmesan pizza finish. Very vegetal and herbal palate. Just like liquid pizza,

3.41/5  rDev +22.2%

Okay, so I'm always game to try a gimmick beer. This one is a little stranger than usual...beer made with pizza. The beer itself is a hazy, slightly dark yellow color. No real head after a few seconds. The smell, though, is what fascinated me. It really smells like a pizza. Pizza spice (basil and oregano), pizza crust, and tomato (I'm not sure about the cheese). The pizza is backed by a very slight malt scent, but it mostly smells like a pie. I expected a beer brewed with pizza spice, but this one really surprised me. The flavor has some pizza spice to it, but otherwise is similar to an american all-malt lager beer. Hops are very restrained, and the beer is balanced slightly to the dry side. Finish is quick and the beer is very light in body. This one is very much worth a try, just for the unique flavor.

3.08/5  rDev +10.4%

Amber color with a thin head with medium retention. Got hazy at last pour.
Incredible aroma of a marguerita pizza, lots of oregano, tomato paste and garlic.
Mouth follows nose, flavor of oregano, garlic and tomato paste. Hints of lemon. Dry aftertaste with a residual oregano taste and a mild spicy feeling.
It is really a liquid pizza, don’t drink this with your stomach full. Quite interesting, though not sure I could hold another one.

2.05/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours a solid red with a white head. Nothing impressive, but nothing offputting about it, either.

Smells strongly of generic pizza seasoningss. Like, if you buy the stuff at the grocery store that's just labeled "Pizza Seasoning." Taragon, maybe. I think. Some light nodes of basil and oregano, too. Nothing beerish, but still not horribly unpleasant.

Tastes a little disturbing. You ever see that movie _The Polar Express?_ It's not very good. Anyhow, as you might know it was one of the first cellshaded movies. They shot it with live actors and then they animated over the actors, giving the movie a really weird, creepy feel. For some reason they dubbed over the voices. This one character was a little kid, and as it was actual film of an actual kid that had just had animation laid on top of it, the kid looked really realistic. But, like I said, his voice was overdubbed, it was high-pitched and nerdy and cartoonish. The voice was from some popular voiceactor who I've heard dozens of times before on different TV shows (he was Dexter's nemesis on "Dexter's Lab"). When that voice was used on cartoons it worked just fine. But when it was used in the Polar Express, when this ridiculous fake imitation of a child was coming out of the mouth of an actual child, the result was nothing short of terrifying. And that's pretty much how this beer is.

It's not helped out by a weak, thin body, either. Nor by the Italiano dyspepsia it gives you.

2.73/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

i picked up a bottle of Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer last week for $1.79 at Boardwalk Liquor Store. I heard about this beer a few years ago but I have never seen a bottle of it before so when I saw a bottle at the store I thought I would take a chance on it, I'll try any beer once, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, who knows how old it is, the numbers have been almost fully rubbed off. Poured from a fatter 16oz brown bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's got two chef's on the label which I assume are the people that came up with this beer and the color is the same as an Italian flag, it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice and hazy golden orange color that took on more of a orange hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left hardly any lacing behind. This is a decent looking beer, the color was pretty nice but the head and lacing were lacking.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by tons of pizza spices, it smells like a nice spiced pizza crust, oregano seems to stick out the most but I do get some garlic and basil with a good amount of tomato aromas that almost gives it a marinara like aroma. Up next comes some bready and grainy malts that hardly show up and are overpowered by the pizza spices. The aroma is ok all the ingredients that are listed on the bottle stick out, but it's just not an aroma that I associate with beer and it doesn't make me want to dive right into it.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma just not as intense, it starts off with a lower amount of sweetness with the pizza spices being the first to show up, they aren't as intense as they are in the aroma, but they are still pretty strong and only get stronger the more the beer warms up, the oregano still sticks out the most with all the other pizza spices that I got in the aroma showing up in the background. Up next comes a pretty noticeable tomato flavor followed by some grainy and bready malts. On the finish there's a lighter amount of bitterness with a little bit of sweetness and a bready, tomato, and pizza spice like aftertaste. The taste is not that great, it's true to the name and very pizza like, but the savory pizza flavors just don't translate well in a beer.

M- A little smooth, a little dry, slightly crisp, on the fuller of side of being light bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was just ok, it felt a little watery and a little under carbonated.

Overall i wasn't a fan of this beer and I thought it was a slightly below average example of the style, it had all the flavors as advertised, but the savory pizza flavors didn't go well in the beer, it doesn't keep me wanting to drink it. This didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't that smooth and the flavors didn't do a good job at holding my attention, the pizza spices really started to wear on me and there is no way that I would want to drink multiple bottles of this. What I liked the most about this beer was how close to pizza the flavors was, all the key tastes that I look for in a pizza show up in this beer, it just didn't work out that well. What I liked the least about this beer was the the lingering tomato and spices flavor, it just wouldn't go away. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it might be interesting to try with pizza, but it's not something I'm going to go out of my way to get, but I do recommend trying it, some beers are so unique that they have to be tried once and this beer is one of them. All in all this beer just wasn't for me, in my opinion they nailed what they were going for and it really does taste similar to pizza, it's just those aren't flavors that I really desire in a beer and I don't really have an urge to keep drinking. I appreciate the effort it took to come up with and make this weird brew, but it just wasn't my kind of beer.

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer from Pizza Beer Company