Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Cant Dog Imperial IPA | Marshall Wharf Brewing Company / Three Tides Restaurant

Marshall Wharf Brewing Company / Three Tides Restaurant
Maine, United States
marshallwharf.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This beer is the one beer that our brewers and I would take to that mythical deserted island if we could only bring one Marshall Wharf beer. Huge malt backbone matched with huge amounts of hops.

Added by warriorsoul on 11-25-2008

4.18/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

4.31/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to KalH for sending this one down! Reviewed from notes. Poured from 16 oz. can into a Westbrook pint glass.

A: Deep gold, a bit hazy with some floaters in suspension. Two finger's worth of white fluffy head and moderate visible carbonation.

S: Citrus, resin, tropical fruit, and grassy hops, with some bready sweet malt. No caramel character.

T: Big citrus, tropical fruit, resin, grassy and floral hop flavors, all over some toasty biscuit sweet malt. Again, not much if any caramel notes. Moderately bitter with just a bit of malt sweetness in the hang.

M: Medium body, good carbonation sensation, and the hefty ABV is quite well-hidden.

O: This is a really solid DIPA and quite enjoyable. I don't know that it quite makes it to the lofty standards of the best in class. But, especially available in cans, this one would be a solid regular in my fridge if it were available around here.

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Cant Dog pours a clear amber with a medium size, creamy head. Lots of lace coat the glass.

The aroma is buttery with some orange citrus mixed in. I get a little paint aroma too. Weird.

Each sip of this medium to full bodied beer is very smooth and creamy with light carbonation. The flavor begins with sweet caramel malt, followed by orange citrus, pine and tropical fruit. It finishes moderately bitter and buttery. Once gone the pine and butter lingers on the palate.

The beer tastes good and has a terrific mouthfeel, however the buttery notes are a turn off. Also, I didn't get a bad can. I had the beer on tap recently and got the same flavors. Perhaps it was the same batch of beer.

4.02/5  rDev -0.7%

Last can into my Coolship glass...

Pours a clear amber, about a finger of eggshell white head, the head falls to a ring & dusting that leaves webs of lacing. (4.25)

Its aromas are complex, yet subdued... Pine resin, caramel, dog shampoo, apricot, rock candy, and herbs. There is a slight off scent that I cant explain. (3.75)

The flavor has a nice balance of herbs, sweet malts, and bitter hoppiness. As I first sip I taste caramel, and apricot which fade to a bitter soapiness, that leads to a long piney, resinous finish. (4.0)

Low carbonation, medium body, it is slightly sticky, with a dry bitter finish, (4.0)

This is one fine IPA. I could only drink one or two in a sitting. It does have a few problems that held its score back: first being the soapy scents, and flavors; 2nd being the lack of carbonation. If not for those two quirks Id score this one much higher. (4.0)

Im guessing it's an IPA that I have never had... The reveal is a Marshall Wharf Cant Dog Imperial Pale Ale. So it is an IPA, not an IPA though? Never heard of it, or them, but Im glad to have enjoyed it.

Thanks Brez07, I love getting to try beers under my radar. This is why I love this BIF; you never know whats next. Could be a whale, could be a diamond in the rough.

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

4.91/5  rDev +21.2%

This will be #500 (including hads, lame) for me.

Picked up a can of this on a trip to bar harbor, not thinking much about it, only knowing that MW makes pretty good beer. Cracked the can around the campfire in Acadia Nat Park - WHOA! Almost fell in the fire I was so blown away by the taste. I had had Heady Topper a month or so before and this was right on par. I had to go back the next day and buy a 4-pack I was so impressed. Anyway, what follows is a review of the second one, poured into a glass at home, but I'll factor both experiences in.

A - pours a copper amber colour, maybe seems a little on the darker side for a DIPA, but not off by any means. Pours a half finger or so of head, but it sticks around on top, which is really cool.

S - mmm, sweet hops, bright citrussy smells, some malt, and some sweet booze on the back. This might be my favorite part of the beer. I just remember smelling this at the campfire for the first time and then getting excited all of a sudden because I knew good things were to come.

T - lots of hops, a little burn from the 9.7% alcohol, but lots of citrusy fruits, pineapple, lemon, yumm. I think the fresher and the colder the better though, and it was even better out of the can than from the glass. When I first drank this I said aloud that this beer tops Heady (no pun).

M - a good medium body, solid carbonation and the warmth from the booze is actually quite nice.

Overall, I would say this beer's strong suits are its great balance (it is 10% after all) between being high alcohol and having great flavours. If this isn't better than Heady (I'm not saying if it is or isn't) it's probably the second best DIPA I've ever had. Drinking it from the can is key though, which I think is what I'll do with the rest of my pack. And fortunately, I'm only a 4-5 hour drive away from Marshall Wharf, which in Atlantic Canadian terms, is really not that bad.

Edit: I'm going to declare this better than Heady. This also ages much better than Heady.

4.39/5  rDev +8.4%

A - pours clear copper with 1+ finger of dense tan head. Very good retention, spectacular lacing (possibly the best I've seen)

S - citrusy hops, some pine and a decent malt backbone

T - initially quite bitter with tons of citrusy and resinous flavors, bitterness remains and a bit of an alcohol burn hits afterwards. Quite sweet with a spiced/bitter aftertaste.

M - medium bodied, decent carbonation. Thicker than Pliny probably similar to Heady. Fairly drinkable.

O - pretty hop/citrus forward. A pretty big beer, reminiscent of heady but not quite orgasmic, still delicious for sure!

4.57/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a can on the most recent trip through Maine but unfortunately missed a new batch so my cans were a month old. Overall still a top notch imperial IPA with a bit more chewy malt backbone and creaniness than heady,Pliny.

Appearance deep golden brown with huge creamy head that takes years to dissipate leaving lacing down the glass

Smells floral, piney, malt/bread, caramel

Taste very drinkable with hidden alcohol despite nearly 10% ABV. Creamy/chewy but not in a bad way, slightly sweet and caramel but not overpowering

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a crystal clear deep amber color with a huge fluffy beige head that takes forever to recede. The aroma holds a fair amount of sweet malty backbone with bready and caramel being fairly evident to my nose. Garlic green onions grapefruit pith and dankness along with a hint of ethanol round out the nose. The flavor is sweet and malty but has plenty of hop and alcohol to keep it from cloying. Green onions and garlic scape with hints of alcohol countering bread and caramel. Medium to thick body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet resinous just shy of syrupy mouthfeel. This is a big beer and it shows. I liked it but felt it a little sweet for my tastes.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Cant Dog Imperial IPA from Marshall Wharf Brewing Company / Three Tides Restaurant