Ace Hole Pale Ale | Marshall Wharf Brewing Company / Three Tides Restaurant

Ace Hole Pale AleAce Hole Pale Ale

Marshall Wharf Brewing Company / Three Tides Restaurant
Maine, United States
marshallwharf.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Our newest regular member of the pale ale lineup. Hopped with Sorachi Ace and Citra hops.

Added by sprucetip on 04-02-2010

4.82/5  rDev +24.5%

One of the best beers in Maine. Sweet, soft, great finish.

4.78/5  rDev +23.5%

A very large nose, lemongrass, citrus and a hint of pine. A touch of spice. Taste is the same way, big lemons and spicey. Aggressive hop for a pale, I think this should be called an IPA. Huge malty backbone and smooth but aggressive bitterness. My mouth feels a little numb actually. I could drink this all night. Big but delicious!

4.44/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can poured into 12 oz snifter

A: light a bearish orange hue a little bit of a head perfect clarity

S: Has a buttery and fresh cut grass smell with maybe a slight over ripe melon smell

T: A lot like the smell with some tartness on the end, I like the mellow overripe smell people often confuse this I think with diacetyl but I don't believe that's it.

M: pretty full mouthfeel for a pale ale

O: I love this beer I think the sorachi hops play well off the Citra and give you a lush buttery melon tasting fresh grass refreshing ness . Very underrated pale ale in my book . And if you can get it under a month it is a rare treat.

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.41/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.39/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.32/5  rDev +11.6%

I always head down to Novare Res when I see they have an offering from Marshall Wharf on tap, particularly the Ace Hole. Huhuh, he said 'hole'...
Ok obligatory Beavis and Butthead joke aside, on to the beer...
A nice robust orange rust colored ale with a dense white head, slightly cloudy. Smell is a lot of juicy hop, fruity, and caramel malt. The night before, I had Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace which was also excellent (review coming) and I have decided that the Sorachi Ace hop is the mango hop. I get full on blatant mango in the nose and as well in the taste, super juicy and wet hop flavor. Nice and bitter kick, but nothing drastic. Just flavorful, juicy, flowery mango hoppyness. Excellent backing of malt as well, nice balance, although clearly featuring the hop here. Smooth and soft on the palate. The guys up at Marshall Wharf are great at showcasing a particular flavor in beer, yet keeping it super drinkable and nicely balanced. One of my favs, something I would drink everyday if I could.

4.32/5  rDev +11.6%

Pints on tap at Three Tides.
Of the three APAs I've had from Marshall Wharf (Tug and Marian are the other two) this is, by far, my favorite. The Sorachi Ace and Citra hops give Ace Hole a very seductive nose and flavor profile that leans predominately toward tropical fruits (lemon, mango, passion fruit and guava). It makes a pleasant change of pace from the orange, tangerine, grapefruit and pine-y flavors that dominate the majority of American pale ales and IPAs. There is an APA appropriate crispness and hop bite but not the huge hop punch of most American IPAs and some APAs. It has a medium body with modest but entirely adequate carbonation. At 5.9% ABV it isn't exactly a session beer but it also doesn't pummel you if you have a few pints. More please!

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: 1 inch head, high carbonation, gold in color, cloudy

Smell: citrus hops and pine hops

Taste: citrus hops and pine hops--light honey and malt to balance out the beer

Mouthfeel: sweetish start with a dry bitter middle and aftertaste, light body, medium carbonation

Overall: A nice dry and hoppy beer that is never overly bitter. One of the better pale ales I have had. I am glad I picked up a four pack of this and would get it again if I wanted this style.

Ace Hole Pale Ale from Marshall Wharf Brewing Company / Three Tides Restaurant