Sloppy Seconds | Marshall Wharf Brewing Company / Three Tides Restaurant

Marshall Wharf Brewing Company / Three Tides Restaurant
Maine, United States
marshallwharf.com

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Happy 2nd Anniversary Novare Res. Brewed using 2 Belgian yeasts. This beer was on tap in early Summer 2010. One keg left and it'll be tapped for the 3rd year of Beer and Pemaquid Mussel Fest on October 16th @ Three Tides.

Added by donkeyrunner on 06-02-2010

Reviews by salvo:
3.27/5  rDev -17.8%

Overall, this is a simple and clean tasting lighter summer ale. I enjoyed what I had, but I missed the subtleties other reviewers found.

It retained its half-inch head over clear yellow. The smell was of rice more than malt with little hop spice. It offered a bracing first sip that mellowed and ended cleanly, even abruptly. Light in the mouth, with some risidual foaming from the carbonation being released as it warmed from glass to tongue.

I've already forgotten it.

4.1/5  rDev +3%

Poured a hazy medium straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and very good lacing.

The smell featured a faint ester, herbal hop and slightly sweet grAininess.

The taste was likewise grainy with a lemon zest and mild ester.

The mouthfeel was toward the lighter side of the style.

Overall a tasty light pale. Refreshing.

4.57/5  rDev +14.8%

Sloppy seconds is better than nothing at all.

Brewed for the 2nd anny of Novare Res and my celebration beer for running the Pineland Farms 50k. I'm sure they had that in mind too.

Pale, mildly cloudy straw color. Fluffy white head, ample retention and lace. Looks like it says "drink me."

Aroma is a perfect mix of Belgian yeast character and fresh hops. Dry snap to the nose at the end of each inhale. Earthy: I can smell grass, field, and sun.

Taste is dry yet quenching. Lemon zest, a hint of white pepper? Musky, mildewy yeast character.

One of those beers that's so good it makes you feel like a somelier, even if you're just a beer fan like me. Who is Marshall Wharf and where did they come from? This stuff is great! Are their other beers this good? I couldn't find any of their stuff while conducting a thorough search in Portland. I demand more.

Sloppy Seconds from Marshall Wharf Brewing Company / Three Tides Restaurant