1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Hangar 24 Orange Wheat | Hangar 24 Brewing

Style: Fruit and Field Beer

None provided.

Reviews by dmsohyea:
3.59/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle to Stone taster glass 4/18/11.

A: Unfiltered light orange color. Extremely murky, cannot see through this beer at all. Less than one finger thick, thin, pearl white head. No retention.

S: Nose is orange peel and German style yeast. Some faint banana and bread. Very few, if any, hops on the nose. A bit above average for the style, as I prefer orange styles to banana styles.

T: Taste follows the nose for the most part. A good twang from the yeast and an orange fleshy finish. I would suggest this beer finishes more like orange juice than anything else. Some banana and orange flavors linger on the tongue.

M: Mouthfeel is mediocre and thin. Moderate/low carbonation, and nothing special here. I guess to be expected for such a low gravity brew.

O: A good orange whit beer, but nothing special. If I was blinded next to other orange whits I'm not sure I could point it out.

4.04/5  rDev +15.1%

Just had this beer on tap at the San Bernardino B. J.'s. I have been visiting this area on business for years and have enjoyed this beer since it was new. Always fresh, crisp and tasty. The orange smell and taste is not overpowering but nicely subtle. Very refreshing beer and I recommend it.

I came across this site looking for locations for taps and also wanted to read some reviews and was blown away by what was posted on this, my most favorite beer ever.

Judging from the amount of energy dedicated to evaluating the foam details, how thick the head is, what its color is and how long it stuck around the glass rim, I am definitely not the same beer enthusiast as most here. Personally I don't care an inch about the foam, and bothering to post a review to cry about how you don't agree with the bubbles is just sad. Do any of you actually drink the beer, or is this a wine snob area where you swish it around and spit it out, staring at the glass and whining instead of drinking. I'm so lost on most of your tact.

The beer, the part I like, is my favorite. It's a hefe style brew, has a light hint of orange, and I think it's phenomenal. Judging from the amount of lather and low scores, it's clear I might be alone, but anyone that gives this beer a 3 is a tool. No beer is perfect, like wine or women, people have individual tastes, but three of five is a lame pedestrian score and totally out of place for this orange wheat. It's at least a four in the world of beers, and I railed my review with perfect fives because that is how I, drinker of the beer, feel about this brew. Amazing in every way, I have not had anything but this in my glass for almost a year. On tap or by the bottle, I stocked my garage fridge with this, and load the pitcher or schooner in the same way.

I will again admit, I couldnt care less about the bubbles, the exact shade or color, the sound it makes when it goes glug glug into my glass, but I love the beer, the taste, and prefer it over several of my other likes, which are all wheat type cloudy unfiltered hefe's. If your world cares about all that, help yourself to another review. As for me, next chance I have, I will help myself to another orange wheat.

Before anyone cries more rivers about my review, I didn't even know hangar 24 existed, and I live less than an hour away from the brewery, so no this isn't some hurt employee trying to juice the scores like this is some type of yelp attack. I love this beer and think most the reviews posted here are junk.

Thanks for reading, I hope this stays here for all to see because the site should be based on real users drinking real beer... you know... beer, the liquid part the foam is floating on.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.5/5  rDev -28.8%

Poured a murky pale orange in color with yellow highlights that had a half finger of head and left a little bubbly lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma definitely had lots of orange and citrus with slight grainy wheat notes and some sugary sweetness. The taste was also big on the orange citrus character but was more sweet on the palate alongside the grainy wheat notes but it did have a touch of zest. The brew was light to medium in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a sweet, zesty, grainy, and sugary finish. It actually drank good and was able to out a couple pints with dinner.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

3.64/5  rDev +3.7%

3.35/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Hazy yellow orange, malty aroma. Slightly sour & salty, ok

3.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Had this on tap at Libertine last night. This was by far the best part of the night.

A: Pours a hazy orange color with a slightly creamy white head that fades to a thin cap of foam pretty quickly.

S: Big, big orange aroma. There's a lot of orange peel and something that smells like someone made potpourri out of oranges.

T: This was a little too much on the sweet side and one dimensional for me, but it was infinitely better than everything else on tap. I got a lot of great orange flavor but I wanted something else and never got it. A good stab at the style and very drinkable. The best part was a nice, creamy mouthfeel and the perfect amount of carbonation. Definitely compares to beers like Blue Moon and this is far better.

4.1/5  rDev +16.8%

3.86/5  rDev +10%

Aroma is fantastic. Smells like the middle of an orange grove midseason. Little to no hops or malt smell, strictly delicious orange.

Pours as expected for a wheat beer with a fair amount of head that compresses to become thin and slightly creamy.

Surprisingly very little orange flavor. I would like to taste just the tiniest hint or orange, but I couldn't. Just a grainy flavor with hops and malt flavors way way in the backfield.

I'm not a big fan of light flavored beers in general. Got this for my wife as a way to bring her over to the brighter side of craft brews. It is a decent and refreshing brew though, just wish it had a bit more orange flavor for the novelty.

2.77/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.78/5  rDev -20.8%

Had this one (replete with accompanying orange slice) with a burger at Red Robin. Looks a little strange in the glass; maybe a little too opaque and not enough carbonation for the style? Nose is absent; the only thing I could smell was the orange slice. Taste is basically absent, although not off-putting. Not exciting at all. If Blue Moon is an option, go for it over this one.

4.68/5  rDev +33.3%

12oz Bottle from Trader Joe's Palm Desert CA for 2$

Appearance - Hazy yellow colour with a large size fizzy white coloured head. It's hard to make out the amount of carbonation showing and there is not much lacing. The head lasted for 3-4 minutes.

Smell - Breads/grains, lemons/oranges

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste bread/grains mixed with some lemons/oranges. There is also a bit of a spiciness from the citrus zest perhaps. It ends with bready/orange aftertaste.

Overall - A beer style that is rarely reviewed highly. It's better than average but won't wow anyone. It's refreshing and a nice change of pace beer. I wouldn't buy it again, but glad I tried.

3.77/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

4.06/5  rDev +15.7%

3.34/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Bottle acquired for cheap at the Trader Joe's in Culver City, California. Reviewed live. 4.60% ABV confirmed. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Expectations are average.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a three finger white colour thin head of no real cream. Retention is above average (~2-3 minutes). Body colour is a cloudy witbier-esque pale yellow; nontransparent yet translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Meh. Standard fare. No overt flaws.

Sm: Light aroma of blood oranges, pale malts, wheat, and maybe clove. A simple yet balanced and appealing aroma. Fresh and inviting. The clove may be from yeast, but I don't get any yeast from the aroma in the biscuity bready vitaminy sense. An average strength aroma.

T: Light refreshing wheat body, with light floral hops and clove atop. Where's the blood oranges I wanted? Nowhere to be found. Pale malts. Clean refreshing barley. Well balanced, fleeting, and light - but simple. The simplicity holds it back, but I think the balance is commendable. Lacks complexity or subtlety, but it's damned refreshing and pleasant. I wanted more blood orange; a friend's brother works for Hangar 24 and informed me recently that Hangar 24 stopped using their trademark local oranges in order to increase output - and that the flavour suffered as a result. Regrettable, but I like the flavour profile the way it is now - not having had it before.

Mf: Smooth, wet, light, and well carbonated. Suits the flavour quite well. Maybe it's a bit too thin and weak, but I think it works for it.

Dr: Sessionable as hell. Extremely drinkable; I could down it all night (and I have, before). I think this one is overlooked because of its availability, but it's a rather good beer for what it is. I'll be recommending this as a budget buy to friends. It doesn't blend in with the crowd; there's more to it. Interesting stuff that renews my faith in Hangar 24. I'll try to seek out their other offerings in the future. I already want more of this; it's just so drinkable. This deserves more attention than it's getting. Would make a great beer for a kegger.

B-

3.77/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Hangar 24 Orange Wheat from Hangar 24 Brewing