Hangar 24 Orange Wheat | Hangar 24 Brewery

Hangar 24 Brewery
hangar24brewery.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Floydster on 03-22-2008

I came across this site looking for locations for taps and also wanted to read some reviews and was blown away by what was posted on this, my most favorite beer ever.

Judging from the amount of energy dedicated to evaluating the foam details, how thick the head is, what its color is and how long it stuck around the glass rim, I am definitely not the same beer enthusiast as most here. Personally I don't care an inch about the foam, and bothering to post a review to cry about how you don't agree with the bubbles is just sad. Do any of you actually drink the beer, or is this a wine snob area where you swish it around and spit it out, staring at the glass and whining instead of drinking. I'm so lost on most of your tact.

The beer, the part I like, is my favorite. It's a hefe style brew, has a light hint of orange, and I think it's phenomenal. Judging from the amount of lather and low scores, it's clear I might be alone, but anyone that gives this beer a 3 is a tool. No beer is perfect, like wine or women, people have individual tastes, but three of five is a lame pedestrian score and totally out of place for this orange wheat. It's at least a four in the world of beers, and I railed my review with perfect fives because that is how I, drinker of the beer, feel about this brew. Amazing in every way, I have not had anything but this in my glass for almost a year. On tap or by the bottle, I stocked my garage fridge with this, and load the pitcher or schooner in the same way.

I will again admit, I couldnt care less about the bubbles, the exact shade or color, the sound it makes when it goes glug glug into my glass, but I love the beer, the taste, and prefer it over several of my other likes, which are all wheat type cloudy unfiltered hefe's. If your world cares about all that, help yourself to another review. As for me, next chance I have, I will help myself to another orange wheat.

Before anyone cries more rivers about my review, I didn't even know hangar 24 existed, and I live less than an hour away from the brewery, so no this isn't some hurt employee trying to juice the scores like this is some type of yelp attack. I love this beer and think most the reviews posted here are junk.

Thanks for reading, I hope this stays here for all to see because the site should be based on real users drinking real beer... you know... beer, the liquid part the foam is floating on.

4.96/5  rDev +40.1%

4.8/5  rDev +35.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My absolute favorite fruity beer. Tastes like a blue moon but with 3 orange slices that have been sitting in it for an hour

4.78/5  rDev +35%

One of my friends give me this beer. . It was free and glad it was.

A pperanrace- Orange and very hazy. A white head stuck around for a few seconds though.

Smells: Yeast and fruit

Taste - One better fruit beers on market It has a nice wheat taste to it and real great natural orange taste . Excellent tasting

Moutfeel - It was a light bodied with no carbomation

Overall: I would buy this a agian if the price is right . Excellent tasting beer.

4.75/5  rDev +34.2%

This is a great beer for a hot day. I for one enjoy the citrus flavor. Others have complained about the lack of wheat taste, but forget this is an American Wheat ale, not a Bavarian style. So yes the traditional wheat tast will not be overwhelming. This is a great brew and is one I will continue to buy. Highly recommend for dudes wanting to have their girls drink a good craft brew that is not overwhelming like an IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +34.2%

4.68/5  rDev +32.2%

4.68/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Citrusy and little tangy. Similar to a blue moon, But better. Nice golden color a little bit hazy. About 2 finger foam head.

4.67/5  rDev +31.9%

Sampled this at the Stone 14th Anniversary fest.... Had to try it, since Hangar 24 is from my hometown of Redlands, Ca (which, coincidentally, also is formerly the Navel Orange Capital of the World).

The smell was fantastic, if what you want is a beer that smells strongly of fresh oranges. The scent of oranges was so strong that it almost made me expect it to taste more like orange juice than like beer, but I'm glad it didn't. The taste was still a "good beer" taste, but also still light and refreshing. Not heavy

Very refreshing and enjoyable. Perfect for a hot day (and I know how hot it gets out there in Redlands!).

Overall, I would highly recommend it if you want something to cool you off after mowing the lawn or something. I really enjoyed it.

4.57/5  rDev +29.1%

This beer is chock full of oranges, and it works if you're in the mood for something refreshing & light. Lightly effervescent, tingly on the tongue & pallete, with overtones of Valencia Oranges. This beer works as a session beer for a day or evening.

4.54/5  rDev +28.2%

poured into cold pint glass...

A- poured a deep golden orange color with two fingers of head and light lacing

S- smells like your standing in the middle of an orange grove

T- tasty, very light but with flavors of orange and other citrus..

M- light carbonation but REFRESHING

O- could literally drink this beer all day and enjoy it, nothin better on a hot summer day too

4.5/5  rDev +27.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.
4.6% ABV, no bottle date.

Thanks for the brew Tom!

A - Poured, swirled, and poured again, this beer fills the tulip with a completely hazed pale wheat yellow color which is capped by a fluffy cloud-white head. Some gobs of lace are left behind as the well-retained head glides down.

S - Sweet orange peel zest escapes with some little lemon rind hints for an inviting citrus bouquet which softly soars over the delicate wheat aroma and pale malt base. The aroma briefly touches on dry yeast, but over all, its simple, straight forward, and pretty awesome.

T - Bright and refreshing, the light flavor should not be mistaken for being flavor-LESS. Rather, the subtle citrus cleans the tongue without being overwhelming or fruit beer-like. Instead of huge citrus, pale malt and soft wheat almost explode with a pulled punch. Restrained and very well balanced, the flavor is quite a pleasure to roll around on the tongue.

M - Soft, open, and airy, the smooth mouthfeel is accentuated by sparkling carbonation which dances on the tongue gently adding a crisp, refreshing tingle to the finish. In addition to Orange Wheat's wheat profile which really adds a smooth, soft dimension to this beer, the oranges are mildly tart on the palate, drying it out for balance which knocks it out of the park.

O - Every once and a while beer drinkers get in a slump. While still appreciative of their respective greatness, we become somewhat bored or uninspired by even some of the best beers. Having said that, Hangar 24's Orange Wheat has rejuvenated me with it's fresh take on the pale wheat style by adding fresh oranges which play out incredibly well in the flavor, adding terrific balance and a bright citrus characteristic. I really wish a) this beer was available in Wisconsin, and b) that I would have found about it towards the beginning of the summer. Absolutely awesome.

4.5/5  rDev +27.1%

Really refreshing, I thought it was going to be similar to soda but it wasn't at all.

It has a bright lemon yellow-orange look, and a very fruity smell. I'm not yet experienced enough to separate the aroma, but its fruity but not overpowering.

It has a light fruit flavor to it, but just like its smell, its taste is very balanced. I thought the carbonation was good. And it was light in feel, easy to have alot of these or just chill on one while working on a side-project.

Hmmm, your girlfriend (not wife, hahah) will definitely enjoy it.

4.5/5  rDev +27.1%

Still a beer newbie. Light beers are my favorite. This one is my personal favorite, draft of course.

4.49/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.47/5  rDev +26.3%

I tried this beer n i thought it had as very crisp taste to it. The only thing i really didnt like was that all the yeast were pretty much on the bottom. I ended up not drinking last couple sips. Overall it wasnt a bad tasting beer. I would def try it again.

4.44/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hangar 24 Orange Wheat from Hangar 24 Brewery