Alt-Bier Ale | Hangar 24 Brewery

hangar24brewery.com

Style: Altbier

Added by Floydster on 11-06-2008

4.45/5  rDev +21.3%

I love this beer and was very surprised to see just a B as the overall score.

Chocolaty, caramely, malty, rich and delicious this is one hell of a great beer. Smooth enough to be sessionable and flavorful enough to be nursed, I could drink this beer daily.

Pours reddish brown with a dense white head.

Smells like chocolate malts.

Tastes rich with choco-caramel all the way.

Big rich mouth.

Highly quaffable.

4.45/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

S: On-tap at the Hangar 24 brewery. 16 oz. glass. This is about as fresh as a beer can get.

A: Everything I look for in a beer is in the appearance of the Alt-Bier. Medium copper, slight haze, toasty and warming.

S: Complex, though not intimidating. You'll pick up the toastiness, chocolate malt, and a little piney hops.

T: Very similar to the smell. Chocolate malt is balanced very well with the generous amount of caramel. Slight hop presence in the middle. Notes of nuts and dry fruits in the background.

M: Nothing to wow you here, as it should be I think in this case. Quality that come to mind: refreshing. It will certainly impress those who find porters and stouts a little too overwhelming.

O: Why doesn't every brewery have an Alt-Bier? Seriously. This is my favorite at Hangar 24. This beer is just asking me to go down to the Gourmet Pizza Shoppe, order the Peter Pepperoni, and sit back and forget about how I've probably aged 5 days in the last 24 hours.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Pint at Gourmet Pizza Shoppe in Redlands for five dollars on 11/2/08, reviewed from notes

A-Color is a deep red that is almost brown, one inch creamy as can be off white head that stays around for close to ten minutes, good retention, very nice lacing
S-Sweetness, heavy malt, various dark and tropical fruits, caramel, toasted bread, hint of spice, light hoppiness, toffee, and mild brown sugar
T-Starts off slightly dry, some toasted malt in the middle providing some chewy aspects, finish is sweet with both fruit and caramel malt, maintains its flavor as it warms and never changes much, enjoyed the balance in this one even though it was on the maltier side of the spectrum, really liked how the caramel bounced off the light hop character, went well with the unique honey mustard chicken pizza I was eating
M-Low level of carbonation that made this fuller but not syrupy, still a medium body, sweet, malty, and creamy mouthfeel, taste lingers for a few minutes
D-Could drink a few more pints of this no problem, sweetness might get to me after a few though, big reliance on malt, still not heavy on the stomach, ABV seems low around five percent but I am not sure exactly

I have never been a big fan of altbiers before but I had to give this new beer a try from the local brewery, I am glad I did because it was the best beer I had of this style, Ben Cook is a great brewer and we are starting to see this more and more, I will be drinking this each time I go out to visit friends in Redlands now, recommended

4.31/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.19/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A 12 ounce bottle poured into a shaker pint glass.

Appearance - A rusty copper color. Hazy. Thin white head. Moderate lacing.

Smell - Malty. A touch sweet. A bit herbal. Nice.

Taste - A big malty flavor up front. A little toasty. Herbal. A mild flowery hop finish.

Mouth - A little oily. Fizzy. Substantial.

Overall - This is a really good beer! It reminds me of a nice English bitter (malty, sweet and toasty with just the right amount of hops). I am eager to try more alt-biers and more Hangar 24 beers.

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

Fresh bottle acquired near the brewery. I recently bought a bunch in bulk for a trader in Florida, so I thought I'd give some of these left overs a swirl. I've had everything from hangar multiple times, but I figured I'd sit down to give this beer a tick.

A: brown orange with some darker cherry wood stains. A soft microfiber film of bubbles sits over the beer and forms a brighter egg shell ring along the rim of the glass. Not much to mention besides one or two streaks for lacing, and the head retention was nearly nonexistent. That said, it has a nice looking body and clarity that makes it look appetizing.

S: A really burned sugar character that definitely is closer in the spectrum to char than scorch. A heavier almost ash like smell that is actually pleasant. Reminds me of a cocktail of nuts that have been cooked dry over an open fire. Some nice caramel in the nose that sweetens up the whole thing a bit, perhaps even a bit of bite from pale malt character.

T: Really rich biting flavor of hazelnuts, peanut shells, and dry leaves. There's an almost beet like sweetness and earthiness that really pops out a lot more to me than any other time that I've had this. The flavor is incredibly well balanced, and the slightly bitter nutty mash linger is incredible. Think ripe acorns and almond butters. I've never tasted this beer in this good of a state before.

M: The feel is light-medium bodied, and it compliments the flavor perfectly. Airy light fizz that keeps the drinkability of this sensationally high. The dryness seems to interrupt a bit, but this could be a feature of the style that I am just unaware of. This holds up the flavor about perfectly.

O: Really to be honest, aside from their barrel roll series, this is the finest beer I've ever had from hangar. I've had multiple beers of theirs multiple times, and frequently I've just kind of shrugged my shoulders at their offerings. If I could consistently have this beer in this state every time, then I'd say it's one of the finest unusual style beers served in California. My home brew friends have raved about how stylistically on this beer is, so while I don't know the style, I have to say I really am impressed with this beer. If you haven't had a hangar beer in a while, it's worth paying a visit. Furthermore, They deserve more ratings on these beer sites for how well they seem to sell locally.

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

On-tap at Gourmet Pizza Shoppe in Redlands, CA. On to the beer:

It is amber in color, but mixed with the colors of brown and orange. The beer has good head retention, and leaves a little lacing on the glass. Its aroma is a thing of sweetness. Initially there is some dry, dark bread, but after that it is a rush toffee, caramel, unsweetened chocolate, fudge. It's almost like a candy shop.

Nice flavor as well. Toffee, fudge, nouget, nuts, nutty. The most surprising aspect for me was the amount of hops in this beer. Not a shitload of hops, but it is very noticable in this usually low-hopped style. The hops add a dimension of citrus and orange (plus bitterenss), especially towards the end of the sip. Soft bubbles in the mouth.

Altbier is a rare style to find among US microbrewers, so it is nice to see one done by one of my local ones. More important is it tastes good. Recommended.

4.09/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.07/5  rDev +10.9%

On tap at Hangar 24 in Redlands
1/24/11

A - Dark coppery brown caramel/watery coffee in appearance - not much head off the tap

S - Sweet, roasted malts, coffee and chocolate

T - Slight sweet start goes quickly to a bitter coffee with roasty malt and lingers with sweet finish and lingering roast flavor.

M - Light, low carbonation and sticky coating to the throat with a light alcohol warmth present

D -Thought this was a nice malty session style beer being at 6.0% just a little over the "5% official session". It's not too sweet and has a nice light bitter balance with the roast.
I actually ordered this after trying it here - having it at the Underground in Redlands on tap and my craft beer friends enjoyed the tastes they had off my pint.

4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

A - One-inch whitish head fades fairly quickly but leaves a light floating layer. Pour is a reddish copper, great deep color yet great clarity.

S - Earthy malts and slight hop bitterness. Hints of yeast and biscuits. Also a mild sweet note that interweaves with the hops.

T - A mildly spicy, dry hopsiness predominates the body with some slighty sweet & grassy malt foundation. Distant molasses notes, but the sweetness is so integrated that it's hard to really tease apart the flavors. The finish is where this brew really leaves you wanting more: a lingering oaty, biscuit flavor makes you feel like you can see the mash. Some brown sugar sweetness also lingers with that light hop bite.

M - Lightly carbonated, it keeps the beer lively while feeling substantial. Not too slick, but not heavy either. Well balanced.

D - A great brew, goes great with almost any food and has enough character to stand well on its own. The unique balance of maltiness and sweet hop bite will bring you back for another pint.

4.04/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Attractive amber hue, slightly hazy with a one finger off white head. Decent retention and forms an attractive ring of lacing.

Delivers a nice mixture of bready malt and light complex sweetness, caramel and toffee with hazelnut, grape skins and cocoa powder notes. Hop profile is slightly fruity and herbaceous.

Full flavor that starts off slightly grainy with some bread and husk, nice amounts of mixed nuts, honey, toffee, and cocoa. Little bit of grass and vinous fruit. Finish gets a touch acidic but a solid bitterness and grainy drying scrub the palate well.

Good bitterness and drying, sessionable body with average carbonation. Well balanced beer.

Terrific alt-bier, provides good flavor and complex for a session beer, stands out in its own category. Impressive offering, and good value.

Alt-Bier Ale from Hangar 24 Brewery