Double IPA | Hangar 24 Brewery

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Replaced by Iconic

Added by t0rin0 on 06-08-2010

4.94/5  rDev +29.3%

This beer, recommended by our server, did not disappoint in the slightest. It poured a beautiful honeyed-orange color, with a frothy head and lacing along the glass. Aromas of pine, fresh cut grass and citrus rose to the nose. On the palate, the highend hops were present. It was appropriately bitter and balanced. Overall, based on this one experience, I'd rate this beer up there with the top DIPA's I've tried. Yes, in other words, I came to Cali looking for Pliny on tap and "ended up with this". Gun to head, blind folded, I don't think I'd have been able to tell the difference. I'll be looking for this again to see if the notes are consistent the second time around. Kudos to Hangar 24, whoever you are.

4.77/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is a great local option, brewed with honey. Nice orange, citrusy taste while not being overpowering. Great opaque orange coloration with good carbonation, which delivers a nice mouthfeel. The alcohol is hidden extremely well (be careful, it creeps up on you!). This is an excellent DIPA and is a staple in my beer fridge. At $6 a bomber, this is a steal.

As another reviewer said, "blind-folded, gun to head" I would rank this DIPA along with greats like Pliny.

4.64/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, I feel like maybe I am drinking a different beer than everyone else on here. I found this beer to be pretty fantastic. Good spicy aroma, great white foam head. Citrusy, hoppy taste. Severe bitterness in a good way that stays on the tongue just long enough. Refreshing, yet dry. Overall, I found this beer to be way better than expected after reading reviews.

4.62/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev +20.4%

4.53/5  rDev +18.6%

Pours a clear gold with nice white head and lacing.

The smell is of citrus, caramel, and toast.

The taste is a little sweet with a big burnt caramel and orange peel bitterness. Maltier than I expected but I can't believe how well it works in the favor of this one as I usually don't care for that style.

Heavy on the caramel malts for sure but it balances the hops so well. Medium mouth feel and goes down so well. Easy drinking so make sure to grab two. I couldn't find any dating though which I could be blind or it could just be a negative.

Double IPA from Hangar 24 Brewery