Figgy Pudding, Olde Stock

From:
Block 15 Brewery & Restaurant

Oregon, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes: HAF program description:
"Strong Ale brewed with English pale and specialty malts and molasses, then matured in freshly emptied brandy barrels and conditioned with mission figs. It's gently spiced with Ceylon cinnamon and whole nutmeg and further aged with English stock wild yeast."
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 3
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

This is going to be a short review. Figgy Pudding Olde Stock was sampled twice during 2010 Holiday Ale Festival. This was an exclusive barrel aged version of Figgy Pudding, whether or not more kegs exist beats me.

I enjoyed the Olde Stock more so than the regular version. However, I think the regular Figgy Pudding will be more outstanding than it already is in one to two years. The Olde Stock here tasted similar, with the sweet tones, fruit tones, and malt bill. However the yeasts and esters we're different. The Olde Stock sported a drier body from the yeast. The yeast was much more pronounced, and created drier nuances. All this acted as a nice balanced to the normal Figgy Pudding version. Spices stood out, and cocoa, ginger, and dried fruits shined.

3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

On tap at the Holiday Ale Fest. I don't normally review off fests, but I spent 3 days here and never got drunk, so I was able to give each beer a lot of time to warm up and change. I also sampled this one twice (8oz).

The only issue is that the beers were poured in a plastic mug, so appearance may be compromised.

A: Pours a hazy amber body with golden highlights in the glass. My pour has a short-lived half-finger of light beige head that recedes to a thin film and collar on the brew.

S: Definitely a beer that needs to warm up. Pie crust, graham cracker, cinnamon, nutmeg, and of course the sweet aroma of candied figs. The description said something about brandy barrels, but I didn't pick up any brandy in the nose; just some vanilla and oak. There was also a mention of wild yeast, which I don't find expressed in the aroma.

T: The beer is balanced and flavorful. The most distinct elements give it the impression of a Christmas fig pie. As noted in the nose, it has a bready / pie crust flavor, substantial cinnamon and nutmeg. Molasses, figs. Brandy is restrained and provides an excellent, balanced finish. The beer is drier than I expected (I'm guessing this is what the wild yeast did). We were discussing the beer and it came up that this was probably fermented with English brettanomyces, which don't produce the funk of US and Belgian strains. I could see that. I wonder how it will develop over time, though. My only complaint is that the flavors didn't feel very bold for an almost 12% strong ale. Maybe it didn't warm up enough, but I drank each glass over a period of 30 minutes and had the same reaction.

M: While a drier beer than I expected, it still has a medium body. I'd be curious to see how it changes as it dries out more. Some residual heat is noted. I bet it will cool off in a year.

D: I was left wondering what the big deal was about this beer. writerLJBerg made the prediction that Block 15 is a brewery to watch over the next couple of years. I can see why he'd say that. Time will tell if it's true...

Figgy Pudding, Olde Stock from Block 15 Brewery & Restaurant